The thread for space cadets!

The 737 Max is now grounded everywhere. When the UK grounded them some flights had to return to there departure points.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...s-737-max-fleet-potentially-fatal-safety-flaw

Good heavens, a 2nd crash?
I posted about the 1st one a few months ago.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/til-today-i-learned.496661/page-304#post-15334651

Only 376 MAX planes were ever built. (374 now :sad:)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_MAX

I hope that of the 346 people who died in both crashes, their friends and families get some answers.
The last time a western commercial plane was hopelessly flawed was, mmm, the Comet in the 50s?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet
The Comet was involved in 26 hull-loss accidents, including 13 fatal crashes which resulted in 426 fatalities.[185] Pilot error was blamed for the type's first fatal accident, which occurred during takeoff at Karachi, Pakistan, on 3 March 1953 and involved a Canadian Pacific Airlines Comet 1A.[82] Three fatal Comet 1 crashes due to structural problems, specifically BOAC Flight 783 on 2 May 1953, BOAC Flight 781 on 10 January 1954, and South African Airways Flight 201 on 8 April 1954, led to the grounding of the entire Comet fleet. After design modifications were implemented, Comet services resumed in 1958.[82]

A list of every commercial crash ever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_commercial_aircraft

Last edited:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/til-today-i-learned.496661/page-304#post-15334651

I hope that of the 346 people who died in both crashes, their friends and families get some answers.
The last time a western commercial plane was hopelessly flawed was, mmm, the Comet in the 50s?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_commercial_aircraft
There are some parallels with the Comet but I wouldn't stretch the analogy too far. With that one, the technology got ahead of their engineering. They had no idea what kinds of issues those square windows would cause at altitude. With the 737 MAX, they knew what it would do to the flight profile and put in corrective measures to fix it. But it looks like their fix was flawed or they didn't explain the fix very well. I think in the end it's going to come down to inadequate training as the primary culprit rather than a design flaw.

Last edited:
Pretty much it's dead at this point in my opinion, barring some hail mary that Richard Shelby manages to pull off. There's just no payloads that require it, though it does make some missions much easier.

Europa Clipper could have flown a direct trajectory to Jupiter with the SLS Block 1; but as many have pointed out, taking a longer route with a flyby on a FH would get it there faster than waiting for the SLS to be built. Similarly, the original concept for the Gateway was to fly pieces of it out to lunar orbit with a co-manifested Orion. Well, the SLS can't quite do that without the beefier second stage which is in the process of being defunded, so that became a moot point.

There were concepts for a huge, monolithic space station (Skylab II) and a massive non-folding space telescope (Super Hubble) but neither were funded and are just concepts that NASA can't afford to build while also funding the ISS and the SLS.

Bridenstine came out today and reiterated his support for the SLS and emphasized that shifting EM-1 to a commercial launch is all about proving out Orion and keeping schedule but the writing is really on the wall. And the idea that there is a real need to fly an unmanned Orion out to the moon on a test flight is silly to begin with but was basically NASA's way of justifying the rocket in the first place.

The challenge NASA is going to face with a commercial launch is that it will require some form of docking an upper stage to Orion to push it to the moon. Orion does not currently have any docking hardware and won't until the 3rd flight. They might be able to rush some solution to get it done but I think instead they're counting on some clever engineering from their commercial partners to work around this.

It's not a flaw in the sense that they messed up with the design. They knew very well what would happen by placing bigger engines that far forward and they wanted to avoid a bigger redesign by using this software to get around the problem. If there is a flaw, it is in the software, not in the design itself as they knew what they were doing and what problems it would create that they had to work around.
Call it bad design then if you like. I think that the fact they knew what were doing doesnt stop it of being a flaw. Trying to stretch an old design as the 737 beyond its capabilities to the point of making it inherently inestable and then patching it through software is not a good idea in my book. That may work for fighters but not for airliners. If they wanted to fit those huge engines should have espent more time and money and design a new model. But it is all part of the new ways of doing things: Make it cheaper at all cost. Be it for using less engines, lighter and lighter materials, or stretching existing designs beyond its limits. Maybe this time Boeing went too far?

Yes, the Comet was a case of not knowing what they were doing yet, with the square windows and such. Later they located the flaw and used round windows but it was too late. The 707 was already flying and was the daddy of all modern airliners.

Apparently windows are a pain for aircraft designers. They are planning to completely remove them and use monitors instead making the plane lighter and more efficient aerodinamically. Anything to get lower operational costs.

Last edited:
at one loss per campaign F-15 has carried out the strategic aims of Washington at a decade F-35 remained on the "ground" ; and it was an emergency landing in glorious Batman because ISIL creatures actually deserved getting bombed . And ı doubt the history will ever write of any F-15 that caught fire because it was parked with its back to the wind . F-15 over 35 anytime , day or night , ragtag guerillas or whole Russian+Chinese armadas .

so , ı hear Boeing might go under . So , there will be people to check whether it's 5 minutes to bankruptcy and they will take actual numbers to where they will obviously be able to find and a new home will be found for each and every cancelled MAX , on bulk order prices but anyhow . Will rip out 911 mods for sure and possibly all Cargo ı think .

ı couldn't stop myself using the word dangalak at this TıRT host who claimed Trump was in Boeing's pocket and blah blah . I thought he had said Watergate , turned out he had said Lockerbie and then corrects even that , by mentioning Lockmart . As Qatar's Al Crusading kept showing probably the APU , which would be a first thing to be dug out and there are people who can never lose , New Turkey joins in the stuff and forgets its awesome wannabeism in military industrial politician complex thing . The host then reminds the richest general on earth , who was a member of the ugly 1980 junta , on the cover of Time with it , too . Because he was bribed by Lockmart to buy the F-16 , no less ! Utterly falsh !

in 1978 there were about 10 to 15 , even 20 plans . Some pie in the sky . Some realistic to the point of boredom . None of the involved Jaguar . People were despatched to China , to chack what was to became the Airguard . But a most preferred option was co-producing F-5E . Northrop could be induced to give up even more as they would win the B-2 contract and the little cool thing was quite upto the task of fighting a counter-insurgency war . Against seperatists and their Washington DC bosses . Maximum "independence" at shortest time . Tiger could be kept going on , with at most a 6 months delay at churning them out after an embargo . A point where people do not get to ask how . Hence , the demand was first F-5G and then 20 , adding years to "development" and needing far more complex stuff , to meter Turkish performance in combat . Blew Carter's mind outright and he ordered F-16/79 as that was the barest minimum and it would tear itself apart at the flick of a button , too . Which greatly surprised Washington with its acceptance . Then it became serious thinking in D.C. Either F-20 , a loveable toy (and as spoiled brats they embrassed Lee Begin with a demand for M-61 gun) . Or the design thrust for F-14 . Which would never happen if the Navy kept the "demand" limited to itself hence USAF has not been complaining ever since . USN chose F-16 Block 30(big mouth and all that) for the now dead Turkish Air Force in May 1980 and that was that ; Carter was losing and in no way to stop . And as spoiled brats they got the F-16N for themselves as well , on the same date , even . The bribe was was paid afterwards to buy the 79 , after it was chosen anyhow .

people on autopilot , the operative stress for you is 911 mods .

It also sees there is a strong possibility that the software wasn't working right to begin with which would be a clear design flaw.

It's been almost fifty years since A11. 47 since A17. I hope, commercial or gov, we get back to the Moon by 2022.

Bridenstine announced that Boeing assured him they would be able to advance the schedule on the SLS. Now it looks like this was was a power move to get Boeing to put some skin in the game and that there was never a serious intention on behalf of NASA to fly Orion on anything but SLS.

le lame

Bridenstine announced that Boeing assured him they would be able to advance the schedule on the SLS. Now it looks like this was was a power move to get Boeing to put some skin in the game and that there was never a serious intention on behalf of NASA to fly Orion on anything but SLS.

le lame

Well, there's more than Orion out there, at least. Skyliners and the like. And hell, if there is a schedule advancement, that's good, if still in a bloated way. I want the SLS to do all of its missions, especially in this crucial 2019-2022 trans-administration stage and anniversary of our past achievements, it just often seems like it never will.

Starliner and Dragon can't be used for Lunar missions as designed. Musk's Grey/Red Dragon was dropped largely because of how much non-recurring engineering it would have required. Turning Starliner and Dragon into lunar capable craft would require a massive engineering effort. Agree with you otherwise though I'd like to point out that our whole lunar program is a waste of resources without some end goal in mind. Doing laps around the moon with a manned craft without ever landing offers no advantages over unmanned probes. The Gateway might offer some new science capabilities over unmanned probes but I am doubtful about that and am also doubtful it will ever get built. It will not survive administrative turnover or public apathy.

Starliner and Dragon can't be used for Lunar missions as designed. Musk's Grey/Red Dragon was dropped largely because of how much non-recurring engineering it would have required. Turning Starliner and Dragon into lunar capable craft would require a massive engineering effort. Agree with you otherwise though I'd like to point out that our whole lunar program is a waste of resources without some end goal in mind. Doing laps around the moon with a manned craft without ever landing offers no advantages over unmanned probes. The Gateway might offer some new science capabilities over unmanned probes but I am doubtful about that and am also doubtful it will ever get built. It will not survive administrative turnover or public apathy.

The problem with doing no manned missions beyond earth orbit for almost 50 years is that you need to start somewhere. And since a moon landing has been done already, the first steps are going to be quite dull. And on paper the follow-up missions are supposed to reach Mars. But if those will be canceled, as almost everybody expects, the first missions will indeed be wasted.

From the science point of view, I am still of the opinion that you would get more science for the buck if you would focus completely on unmanned missions.

The problem with doing no manned missions beyond earth orbit for almost 50 years is that you need to start somewhere. And since a moon landing has been done already, the first steps are going to be quite dull.
IMO the only sensible thing to do is to establish an easy, relatively low cost manufacturing base on our nearby, low gravity neighbor, the Moon, and then use that as a launchpad for settling the rest of the solar system and exploiting it's practically limitless resources. Is that dull?
From the science point of view, I am still of the opinion that you would get more science for the buck if you would focus completely on unmanned missions.
Unmanned robotic missions are much more financially feasible, and therefore, achievable, and can therefore yield much more science than infrequent manned missions. But eventually, manned missions would be required when the economic and resource driven concerns begin outweighing the scientific ones.

Probably some ethics nuts will say it is wrong or something but best way is to send a robotic mission with a habitat, a few embryos and some potato seeds, grow all them there and when become adult (the embryos not the potatoes) they will explore and colonize for us, and if they fail always can send more embryos and/or potatoes. There are plenty.

Probably some ethics nuts will say it is wrong or something but best way is to send a robotic mission with a habitat, a few embryos and some potato seeds, grow all them there and when become adult (the embryos not the potatoes) they will explore and colonize for us, and if they fail always can send more embryos and/or potatoes. There are plenty.
Why the focus on potatoes?

The problem with doing no manned missions beyond earth orbit for almost 50 years is that you need to start somewhere. And since a moon landing has been done already, the first steps are going to be quite dull. And on paper the follow-up missions are supposed to reach Mars. But if those will be canceled, as almost everybody expects, the first missions will indeed be wasted.

The problem is that there is no follow up steps planned beyond the powerpoint stage and there never has been. A breakdown of how all this has played out -

Constellation Program
  • Ares I and Ares V were to be used to support manned lunar exploration
    • And eventually Mars missions
  • But the lander to go with them was never substantially funded
  • Both Ares I and Ares V development were massively underfunded for the entire length of the program
  • Both Ares I and Ares V had major development issues
    • The vibe profile of Ares I was dangerous
    • There were aerodynamic instabilities at stage separation of Ares I (See here at 2:15)
    • An abort of Ares I due to stage 1 failure would have melted the parachutes of the capsule and killed everyone
    • Ares V's first stage engine layout was unworkable - the original engines selected would have overheated, this forced a back-to-the-drawing board of the whole design
SLS Program
  • Obama canceled Constellation, keeping Orion and pushing new commercial crew & cargo programs for the ISS
  • Congress re-constituted Ares V as SLS
    • SLS was re-designed from the Ares V baseline
      • There was a new, multi-phase development approach
      • But all phases past Block 1 were underfunded
  • Congress did provide adequate funding for Block 1 SLS and Orion, but the program has been terribly mismanaged
  • No lander has ever been funded
  • Obama proposed the Asteroid Re-direct Mission (ARM) to give SLS something to do
    • This was cancelled by Trump and parts of it re-architected to be the Lunar Gateway
While NASA frequently puts out slick videos and advertisements for their 'Roadmap to Mars', there has never been a consistent push by Congress or any administration to fund these concepts. Instead, there has been a piecemeal push to provide SLS with something to do - this is where ARM, Europa Clipper and the Lunar Gateway come in. But ARM and Gateway were either unfunded or partially funded at best and Europa Clipper is a program which doesn't require SLS from a technical standpoint and will likely be delayed by the SLS.

To your point, with all the money and time spent on this program we could have had probably around a dozen or more lunar unmanned exploration missions or a half dozen unmanned Mars missions. I've argued before that I think manned missions have such higher science returns to justify them over unmanned missions but the catch is that because the cost is so much higher that it's nearly impossible to see them through administrative turnovers. The only thing that I think will get manned missions on track is when the Chinese start making real progress on their manned exploration program - at which point it will likely be too late for the US and their European partners to catch up. And I can easily see Europe deciding to partner with the Chinese over the US in the near future because of Trump and because of how unsteady US manned programs have proven to be.

IMO the only sensible thing to do is to establish an easy, relatively low cost manufacturing base on our nearby, low gravity neighbor, the Moon, and then use that as a launchpad for settling the rest of the solar system and exploiting it's practically limitless resources. Is that dull?

Unmanned robotic missions are much more financially feasible, and therefore, achievable, and can therefore yield much more science than infrequent manned missions. But eventually, manned missions would be required when the economic and resource driven concerns begin outweighing the scientific ones.
I think the applications for lunar industrial build up are so niche that they can't be the justification for lunar exploration programs. To the extent that lunar industrial development will happen, it will only come after extensive exploration, not before.

Flawed analysis, failed oversight: How Boeing, FAA certified the suspect 737 MAX flight control system
Originally published March 17, 2019 at 6:00 am Updated March 17, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Federal Aviation Administration managers pushed its engineers to delegate wide responsibility for assessing the safety of the 737 MAX to Boeing itself. But safety engineers familiar with the documents shared details that show the analysis included crucial flaws.

By
Dominic Gates
Seattle Times aerospace reporter
As Boeing hustled in 2015 to catch up to Airbus and certify its new 737 MAX, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) managers pushed the agency’s safety engineers to delegate safety assessments to Boeing itself, and to speedily approve the resulting analysis.

But the original safety analysis that Boeing delivered to the FAA for a new flight control system on the MAX — a report used to certify the plane as safe to fly — had several crucial flaws.

That flight control system, called MCAS (Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System), is now under scrutiny after two crashes of the jet in less than five months resulted in Wednesday’s FAA order to ground the plane.

Current and former engineers directly involved with the evaluations or familiar with the document shared details of Boeing’s “System Safety Analysis” of MCAS, which The Seattle Times confirmed.

The safety analysis:

• Understated the power of the new flight control system, which was designed to swivel the horizontal tail to push the nose of the plane down to avert a stall. When the planes later entered service, MCAS was capable of moving the tail more than four times farther than was stated in the initial safety analysis document.
  • Failed to account for how the system could reset itself each time a pilot responded, thereby missing the potential impact of the system repeatedly pushing the airplane’s nose downward.
  • Assessed a failure of the system as one level below “catastrophic.” But even that “hazardous” danger level should have precluded activation of the system based on input from a single sensor — and yet that’s how it was designed.
The people who spoke to The Seattle Times and shared details of the safety analysis all spoke on condition of anonymity to protect their jobs at the FAA and other aviation organizations.

Both Boeing and the FAA were informed of the specifics of this story and were asked for responses 11 days ago, before the second crash of a 737 MAX last Sunday.

Late Friday, the FAA said it followed its standard certification process on the MAX. Citing a busy week, a spokesman said the agency was “unable to delve into any detailed inquiries.”

Boeing responded Saturday with a statement that “the FAA considered the final configuration and operating parameters of MCAS during MAX certification, and concluded that it met all certification and regulatory requirements.”

Adding that it is “unable to comment … because of the ongoing investigation” into the crashes, Boeing did not respond directly to the detailed description of the flaws in MCAS certification, beyond saying that “there are some significant mischaracterizations.”

Several technical experts inside the FAA said October’s Lion Air crash, where the MCAS has been clearly implicated by investigators in Indonesia, is only the latest indicator that the agency’s delegation of airplane certification has gone too far, and that it’s inappropriate for Boeing employees to have so much authority over safety analyses of Boeing jets.

“We need to make sure the FAA is much more engaged in failure assessments and the assumptions that go into them,” said one FAA safety engineer.

Certifying a new flight control system
Going against a long Boeing tradition of giving the pilot complete control of the aircraft, the MAX’s new MCAS automatic flight control system was designed to act in the background, without pilot input.

It was needed because the MAX’s much larger engines had to be placed farther forward on the wing, changing the airframe’s aerodynamic lift.

Designed to activate automatically only in the extreme flight situation of a high-speed stall, this extra kick downward of the nose would make the plane feel the same to a pilot as the older-model 737s.

Boeing engineers authorized to work on behalf of the FAA developed the System Safety Analysis for MCAS, a document which in turn was shared with foreign air-safety regulators in Europe, Canada and elsewhere in the world.

The document, “developed to ensure the safe operation of the 737 MAX,” concluded that the system complied with all applicable FAA regulations.

Yet black box data retrieved after the Lion Air crash indicates that a single faulty sensor — a vane on the outside of the fuselage that measures the plane’s “angle of attack,” the angle between the airflow and the wing — triggered MCAS multiple times during the deadly flight, initiating a tug of war as the system repeatedly pushed the nose of the plane down and the pilots wrestled with the controls to pull it back up, before the final crash.

On Wednesday, when announcing the grounding of the 737 MAX, the FAA cited similarities in the flight trajectory of the Lion Air flight and the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 last Sunday.

Investigators also found the Ethiopian plane’s jackscrew, a part that moves the horizontal tail of the aircraft, and it indicated that the jet’s horizontal tail was in an unusual position — with MCAS as one possible reason for that.

Investigators are working to determine if MCAS could be the cause of both crashes.

Delegated to Boeing
The FAA, citing lack of funding and resources, has over the years delegated increasing authority to Boeing to take on more of the work of certifying the safety of its own airplanes.

Early on in certification of the 737 MAX, the FAA safety engineering team divided up the technical assessments that would be delegated to Boeing versus those they considered more critical and would be retained within the FAA.

But several FAA technical experts said in interviews that as certification proceeded, managers prodded them to speed the process. Development of the MAX was lagging nine months behind the rival Airbus A320neo. Time was of the essence for Boeing.

A former FAA safety engineer who was directly involved in certifying the MAX said that halfway through the certification process, “we were asked by management to re-evaluate what would be delegated. Management thought we had retained too much at the FAA.”

“There was constant pressure to re-evaluate our initial decisions,” the former engineer said. “And even after we had reassessed it … there was continued discussion by management about delegating even more items down to the Boeing Company.”

Even the work that was retained, such as reviewing technical documents provided by Boeing, was sometimes curtailed.

“There wasn’t a complete and proper review of the documents,” the former engineer added. “Review was rushed to reach certain certification dates.”

When time was too short for FAA technical staff to complete a review, sometimes managers either signed off on the documents themselves or delegated their review back to Boeing.

“The FAA managers, not the agency technical experts, have final authority on delegation,” the engineer said.

Inaccurate limit
In this atmosphere, the System Safety Analysis on MCAS, just one piece of the mountain of documents needed for certification, was delegated to Boeing.

The original Boeing document provided to the FAA included a description specifying a limit to how much the system could move the horizontal tail — a limit of 0.6 degrees, out of a physical maximum of just less than 5 degrees of nose-down movement.

That limit was later increased after flight tests showed that a more powerful movement of the tail was required to avert a high-speed stall, when the plane is in danger of losing lift and spiraling down.

The behavior of a plane in a high angle-of-attack stall is difficult to model in advance purely by analysis and so, as test pilots work through stall-recovery routines during flight tests on a new airplane, it’s not uncommon to tweak the control software to refine the jet’s performance.

After the Lion Air Flight 610 crash, Boeing for the first time provided to airlines details about MCAS. Boeing’s bulletin to the airlines stated that the limit of MCAS’s command was 2.5 degrees.

That number was new to FAA engineers who had seen 0.6 degrees in the safety assessment.

“The FAA believed the airplane was designed to the 0.6 limit, and that’s what the foreign regulatory authorities thought, too,” said an FAA engineer. “It makes a difference in your assessment of the hazard involved.”

The higher limit meant that each time MCAS was triggered, it caused a much greater movement of the tail than was specified in that original safety analysis document.

The former FAA safety engineer who worked on the MAX certification, and a former Boeing flight controls engineer who worked on the MAX as an authorized representative of the FAA, both said that such safety analyses are required to be updated to reflect the most accurate aircraft information following flight tests.

“The numbers should match whatever design was tested and fielded,” said the former FAA engineer.

But both said that sometimes agreements were made to update documents only at some later date.

“It’s possible the latest numbers wouldn’t be in there, as long as it was reviewed and they concluded the differences wouldn’t change the conclusions or the severity of the hazard assessment,” said the former Boeing flight controls engineer.

If the final safety analysis document was updated in parts, it certainly still contained the 0.6 limit in some places and the update was not widely communicated within the FAA technical evaluation team.

“None of the engineers were aware of a higher limit,” said a second current FAA engineer.

The discrepancy over this number is magnified by another element in the System Safety Analysis: The limit of the system’s authority to move the tail applies each time MCAS is triggered. And it can be triggered multiple times, as it was on the Lion Air flight.

One current FAA safety engineer said that every time the pilots on the Lion Air flight reset the switches on their control columns to pull the nose back up, MCAS would have kicked in again and “allowed new increments of 2.5 degrees.”

“So once they pushed a couple of times, they were at full stop,” meaning at the full extent of the tail swivel, he said.

Peter Lemme, a former Boeing flight controls engineer who is now an avionics and satellite-communications consultant, said that because MCAS reset each time it was used, “it effectively has unlimited authority.”

Swiveling the horizontal tail, which is technically called the stabilizer, to the end stop gives the airplane’s nose the maximum possible push downward.

“It had full authority to move the stabilizer the full amount,” Lemme said. “There was no need for that. Nobody should have agreed to giving it unlimited authority.”

On the Lion Air flight, when the MCAS pushed the jet’s nose down, the captain pulled it back up, using thumb switches on the control column. Still operating under the false angle-of-attack reading, MCAS kicked in each time to swivel the horizontal tail and push the nose down again.

The black box data released in the preliminary investigation report shows that after this cycle repeated 21 times, the plane’s captain ceded control to the first officer. As MCAS pushed the nose down two or three times more, the first officer responded with only two short flicks of the thumb switches.

At a limit of 2.5 degrees, two cycles of MCAS without correction would have been enough to reach the maximum nose-down effect.

In the final seconds, the black box data shows the captain resumed control and pulled back up with high force. But it was too late. The plane dived into the sea at more than 500 miles per hour.

System failed on a single sensor
The bottom line of Boeing’s System Safety Analysis with regard to MCAS was that, in normal flight, an activation of MCAS to the maximum assumed authority of 0.6 degrees was classified as only a “major failure,” meaning that it could cause physical distress to people on the plane, but not death.

In the case of an extreme maneuver, specifically when the plane is in a banked descending spiral, an activation of MCAS was classified as a “hazardous failure,” meaning that it could cause serious or fatal injuries to a small number of passengers. That’s still one level below a “catastrophic failure,” which represents the loss of the plane with multiple fatalities.

The former Boeing flight controls engineer who worked on the MAX’s certification on behalf of the FAA said that whether a system on a jet can rely on one sensor input, or must have two, is driven by the failure classification in the system safety analysis.

He said virtually all equipment on any commercial airplane, including the various sensors, is reliable enough to meet the “major failure” requirement, which is that the probability of a failure must be less than one in 100,000. Such systems are therefore typically allowed to rely on a single input sensor.

But when the consequences are assessed to be more severe, with a “hazardous failure” requirement demanding a more stringent probability of one in 10 million, then a system typically must have at least two separate input channels in case one goes wrong.

Boeing’s System Safety Analysis assessment that the MCAS failure would be “hazardous” troubles former flight controls engineer Lemme because the system is triggered by the reading from a single angle-of-attack sensor.

“A hazardous failure mode depending on a single sensor, I don’t think passes muster,” said Lemme.

Like all 737s, the MAX actually has two of the sensors, one on each side of the fuselage near the cockpit. But the MCAS was designed to take a reading from only one of them.

Lemme said Boeing could have designed the system to compare the readings from the two vanes, which would have indicated if one of them was way off.

Alternatively, the system could have been designed to check that the angle-of-attack reading was accurate while the plane was taxiing on the ground before takeoff, when the angle of attack should read zero.

“They could have designed a two-channel system. Or they could have tested the value of angle of attack on the ground,” said Lemme. “I don’t know why they didn’t.”

The black box data provided in the preliminary investigation report shows that readings from the two sensors differed by some 20 degrees not only throughout the flight but also while the airplane taxied on the ground before takeoff.

No training, no information
After the Lion Air crash, 737 MAX pilots around the world were notified about the existence of MCAS and what to do if the system is triggered inappropriately.

Boeing insists that the pilots on the Lion Air flight should have recognized that the horizontal stabilizer was moving uncommanded, and should have responded with a standard pilot checklist procedure to handle what’s called “stabilizer runaway.”

If they’d done so, the pilots would have hit cutoff switches and deactivated the automatic stabilizer movement.

Boeing has pointed out that the pilots flying the same plane on the day before the crash experienced similar behavior to Flight 610 and did exactly that: They threw the stabilizer cutoff switches, regained control and continued with the rest of the flight.

However, pilots and aviation experts say that what happened on the Lion Air flight doesn’t look like a standard stabilizer runaway, because that is defined as continuous uncommanded movement of the tail.

On the accident flight, the tail movement wasn’t continuous; the pilots were able to counter the nose-down movement multiple times.

In addition, the MCAS altered the control column response to the stabilizer movement. Pulling back on the column normally interrupts any stabilizer nose-down movement, but with MCAS operating that control column function was disabled.

These differences certainly could have confused the Lion Air pilots as to what was going on.

Since MCAS was supposed to activate only in extreme circumstances far outside the normal flight envelope, Boeing decided that 737 pilots needed no extra training on the system — and indeed that they didn’t even need to know about it. It was not mentioned in their flight manuals.

That stance allowed the new jet to earn a common “type rating” with existing 737 models, allowing airlines to minimize training of pilots moving to the MAX.

Dennis Tajer, a spokesman for the Allied Pilots Association at American Airlines, said his training on moving from the old 737 NG model cockpit to the new 737 MAX consisted of little more than a one-hour session on an iPad, with no simulator training.

Minimizing MAX pilot transition training was an important cost saving for Boeing’s airline customers, a key selling point for the jet, which has racked up more than 5,000 orders.

The company’s website pitched the jet to airlines with a promise that “as you build your 737 MAX fleet, millions of dollars will be saved because of its commonality with the Next-Generation 737.”

In the aftermath of the crash, officials at the unions for both American and Southwest Airlines pilots criticized Boeing for providing no information about MCAS, or its possible malfunction, in the 737 MAX pilot manuals.

An FAA safety engineer said the lack of prior information could have been crucial in the Lion Air crash.

Boeing’s safety analysis of the system assumed that “the pilots would recognize what was happening as a runaway and cut off the switches,” said the engineer. “The assumptions in here are incorrect. The human factors were not properly evaluated.”

On Monday, before the grounding of the 737 MAX, Boeing outlined “a flight control software enhancement for the 737 MAX,” that it’s been developing since soon after the Lion Air crash.

According to a detailed FAA briefing to legislators, Boeing will change the MCAS software to give the system input from both angle-of-attack sensors.

It will also limit how much MCAS can move the horizontal tail in response to an erroneous signal. And when activated, the system will kick in only for one cycle, rather than multiple times.

Boeing also plans to update pilot training requirements and flight crew manuals to include MCAS.

These proposed changes mirror the critique made by the safety engineers in this story. They had spoken to The Seattle Times before the Ethiopian crash.

The FAA said it will mandate Boeing’s software fix in an airworthiness directive no later than April.

Facing legal actions brought by the families of those killed, Boeing will have to explain why those fixes were not part of the original system design. And the FAA will have to defend its certification of the system as safe.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...-max-system-implicated-in-the-lion-air-crash/

*whispers* "exacerbated"

(Never trust auto-correct: it's only pretending to be your friend) ;)

Which, now that I think about it, pretty much describes the current iteration of MCAS as well... :cringe: :sad:

I got so mad that I had to stop reading the article that The New Yorker wrote (and the Seattle Times story it references) on the Boeing 737 Max certification process. This would be a massive scandal but with this administration, it's just Monday. Heads should roll.

This is the kind of thing that brings down industries. Regulatory capture is ugly no matter where it happens but in particularly dangerous here. The US has such a massive advantage in aerospace not only because our companies are good, but because the FAA is that good. It sets the standard the world follows and if everyone's lost faith in it then there goes some of American aerospace's competitive advantage. Airlines buy Boeing/SpaceX/Whatever in large part because they can count on the FAA holding it to the highest standards in the world.

Only they're not anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom