1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The thread for space cadets!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hobbsyoyo, Sep 13, 2012.

1. r16

r16 not deity

am happy with the earthquake in Istanbul or something , because there might have been another airliner crash or something . Certainly in my part of the country it wasn't powerful enough to get me say "God, help me" but at the level of "God, help others" . But then it leads to other problems just as fast . If that was that , today's zoo trip produced no smiles on the visitor and naturally the whole web is like Americans did it . Americans didn't , just like as no created being did it . An earthquake now would let "Muslims" to claim that they created Paradise on earth and then evil people came , made the quake and "Muslims" didn't stole anything that wasn't tied down , before passing new laws to let them steal things that were tied down as well . And winning elections on this alone . Just wait a day or two and watch "Muslims" start talk of how they weren't afraid of America after America made the earthquake , though . ı don't know why anybody powerful enough to move trillion tons of earth can not move a single target and give an heart attack or something , you know as in the sense Berlin made the expert who shames all experts to claim there were attempts to use telekinesis as an assasination attempt .

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  2. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

https://phys.org/news/2019-10-hypothesis-asteroid-contributed-mass-extinction.html

more evidence for the great flood

A S African site shows a platinum spike at 12.8kya suggesting an impact triggering over a millennium of ice age cooling called the Younger Dryas.

I was reading a researcher who looked at the world's flood myths for patterns. Some myths describe tsunamis, others a deluge of rain, and some include earthquakes and of course celestial phenomenon often characterized as a serpent or dragon and a war in heaven. Not surprisingly the tsunami myths were found primarily around large bodies of water, specifically the Pacific.

A crater under the Greenland ice sheet is a possible candidate for ground zero. Its 31km in diameter and may have come from a larger object that broke up hitting several locations.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  3. r16

r16 not deity

serves to keep the narrative accessable in one place , also provides a venue to mention the latest biggest . You people must have noticed the scientists have discovered 12 or 13 week fetuses have lizard muscles and we would be all superhumans if they kept growing up ... You people are all atheists , but for the benefit of 15 years olds around here ı gotta start with "Allah'a şirk koşmayın." Allah Doesn't need our prayers , nothing of the sort but accepting one single all powerful deity is a sign of Allah Making it easy for the created , if you are a 6th century person or much and much later you will not fear "disobeying" any orders of those false . No god of thiefs to punish you if you don't steal kind of thing . This requirement out of the way , now that it's possible that ı am supposed to be onto something and "What if" , unfortunately involving the Stuntwoman , too , ı would burn in Hell if some kid had doubts arising from what am about to say .

lizards ruling America are alarmed ? By Republic Commando , even ? So , we are offered to be super if we become lizards , straight from the lizard god ! You bloody atheists become super , too ? Me defender of the mammals , next to be accused for specieciding the Dynasours ? Me defender of the mammals ... sounds better in Turkish and it's a bit somewhat awfully sexist ... But , well , it's funny overall ...

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

NASA handed a production contract to Lockheed for (IIRC) 6 more Orion capsules. They have also put out a request for proposals for lunar landers and the final integration of the first SLS has finally started. It'll be interesting to see if the lunar program gets funding from Congress and even more interesting to see if it survives a handover in administrations.

Imaus likes this.
  5. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

https://phys.org/news/2019-10-center-milky.html

Milky Way's black hole burped 3+ mya, lit up a dust trail between the large and small magellan clouds with radiation

got me thinking what the end of the universe will be like, and if one or more universes are born by its death. Will there be a few million of these monstrous black holes gravitating towards each other and a new universe(s) the result as enough collide to trigger an expansion?

I thought there was a problem with our understanding of black hole evolution. Some appear to be far too large for the age of the universe, not enough time to feed I think. I wonder if ours was overfeeding. The truth is stranger than fiction, I couldn't come up with such a complex existence in my wildest dreams.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  6. Samson

Samson Warlord

20 new moons of Saturn!!!

Saturn has overtaken Jupiter as the planet with the most moons, according to US researchers.
    A team discovered a haul of 20 new moons orbiting the ringed planet, bringing its total to 82; Jupiter, by contrast, has 79 natural satellites.
    The moons were discovered using the Subaru telescope on Maunakea, Hawaii.
    Each of the newly discovered objects in orbit around Saturn is about 5km (three miles) in diameter; 17 of them orbit the planet "backwards".
    This is known as a retrograde direction. The other three moons orbit in a prograde direction - the same direction as Saturn rotates.
    The outer moons in the new haul appear to be grouped into three distinct clusters, based on the inclinations of the angles at which they orbit the planet.
    Scientists think the retrograde and prograde moons are the broken up remnants of at least three larger bodies. These bigger objects were smashed up by collisions, either between distinct moons or with outside objects such as passing asteroids.

The finds were made by applying new computing algorithms to data gathered between 2004 and 2007 with the Subaru telescope. These algorithms were able to fit orbits to potential moons identified in the old data.​

Ferocitus and hobbsyoyo like this.
  7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Pretty sure Jupiter didn't have the title of 'most moons' for very long. I remember growing up that Saturn was held up as having the most moons, not sure when Jupiter surpassed it.

8. Imaus

Imaus Chieftain

When they decided every rock orbiting a planet was a 'moon'. This is basically space junk; not moons, but ah well.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

I think just by looking at Saturn and Jupiter it's easy to say which one likely has more moons :)

Ferocitus and hobbsyoyo like this.
  10. uppi

uppi Warlord

The title probably changes hands (err...orbits?) every time someone points a new telescope at the one with the currently lower count and starts counting rocks until they have enough. And "Saturn now has more moons than Jupiter!" makes a much better story than "We found 5 new moons for Jupiter, bringing the total count up to 84 or whatever". We really need a good definition for "moon", although that would stir up a large controversy, like the planet definition.

Imaus and hobbsyoyo like this.
  11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

What is the formal definition of a moon?

12. Michkov

Michkov Chieftain

Anything orbiting a body orbiting the sun iirc. Makes for interesting edge cases as definition

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  13. uppi

uppi Warlord

I don't think there is one. It is clear that a moon must orbit something non-artificial which orbits a star. But beyond that there is much space for personal opinion. We don't consider every dust particle orbiting a planet to be a moon, so there is an implicit assumption that there is a minimum size. Even the larger rocks in Saturn's rings are rarely called moons. But there is no agreement on how big the rock must be. And on maximum size the definition is unclear as well. At some point, one would imagine a moon becomes big enough to be part of a binary (dwarf) planet, but how big does it need to be?

That is why I think there should be a formal definition.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  14. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. r16

r16 not deity

just about any spherical thing that's as big or bigger than the Death Star .

hobbsyoyo and Samson like this.
  16. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

RIP Alexey Leonov...

hobbsyoyo, Samson and Ferocitus like this.
  17. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Seconded.

A couple of years back I bought (second hand) the book he co-authored with David Scott:

Two Sides of the Moon: Our Story of the Cold War Space Race

It was very informative, and a delight to read.

red_elk and hobbsyoyo like this.
  18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Yesterday, the Russian Proton rocket launched two satellites into GEO, one of which is an experimental American satellite to refuel and refurbish older satellites. I hope it works out!

Imaus likes this.
  19. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Is there any way to make fake gravity on a spaceship?

I saw this really dumb movie Orbitor 9 or something on Netflix and the girl on the spaceship* experienced normal gravity.

Spoiler :
    she was really in a simulation on earth the whole time

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  20. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

There's rotation like the wheel in 2001 a space oddysey or the Omega class destroyer in Babylon 5. But a real gravity generator doesn't exist yet. The first step would have to discover gravitons(if they exist) and then find a way to produce gravitons by electricity somehow. Perhaps in a billion years?

hobbsyoyo likes this.