The Thread Where We Discuss Guns and Gun Control

Meh, this ones better. Especially when chambered for the .475 Wildey Magnum. Then you can get Mr. Vigilante on any home invaders, muggers or gang members who threaten you. Oh, and if you do use it you need a certain style of mustache.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildey
and if it's not enough, a M1919 Browning .30 cal MG should do the trick.

Where do you live that an AR-15 is a reasonable tool for home defense?
In particular, where within your home do you need a scope? You got some big-ass house.

Since the thread title is "The Thread Where we Discuss Guns and Gun Control" I'm going to take the initiative and switch the conversation over to a discussion of guns themselves.

I will start by showing an example of a budget AR-15 purposed for home defense. The parts I'm about to talk about aren't the absolute cheapest you can get, but they are the cheapest you can get without sacrificing too much in the way of quality and reliability.

In terms of the rifle itself, some people will say you can build your own much cheaper than buying a complete rifle. That's true if you are trying to build a high-end AR, but that's not what we are trying to do. So I would recommend buying either the Ruger AR556 or the M&P Sport. Both are quality ARs that you can purchase for relatively cheap. I, personally, chose the Ruger because of the cold hammer forged barrel and Ruger's general reputation for putting out quality products at affordable prices. The MSRP for the AR556 is $799, but you can usually find it for much cheaper. I got mine from my local gun shop for $589 including tax. That's not bad at all for an AR. From what I've seen the M&P Sport goes for about the same price. Both are also carbine length with adjustable stocks, which is perfect for home defense since you'll be navigating tight spaces and hallways.

For an optic, I went with the Sightmark Ultra Shot Plus reflex sight. It's pretty much a discount EOTech, but it gets the job done for a very nice price. An EOTech will run you somewhere between $400 and $500, but the Sightmark only cost $100. There are reflex sights out there for as cheap as $20, but you will see very poor performance out of them. What I like about the Sightmark is that you can switch from a red reticle to a green one, which is better for night fighting, and a home defense situation is likely going to take place at night if it does happen. It also has the different reticles to choose from. Not an essential feature, but it is a nice touch, especially from a budget optic. Where the budget aspect comes in though is the fact that the Sightmark does have some parallax issues that you won't get with an EOTech. However, parallax only really becomes an issue with the Sightmark at loner ranges, and chances are in a home defense situation, you aren't going to be firing at a 300 meter target.

The last two accessories I put on it were a UTG 400 lumens tactical light and a forward grip for better control in tight quarters. The light ran me about $25 and the grip only cost $15. So neither one of those will break the bank.

Oh I almost forgot: I replaced the standard polymer handguard on the rifle with a quad rail handguard so I could mount the light and grip. It's a UTG quad rail but I bought from Ruger for around $70 I think.

So overall, this is, in my opinion, pretty reliable and dependable quality home defense AR-15. And the total cost should come in at around $800 total, which is still cheaper than some ARs out there that you would still have to add accessories to. This setup has everything you need for a close quarters fight and nothing added just to make it look cool.

And for your viewing pleasure here is a picture of my AR with everything I described above:

View attachment 492688
Reading all this, something occurred to me that I had not thought of (in the context of the NY law) until now. Putting aside all the time and effort to assemble and accessorize their selection of weapons... If a guy spends $800 on his gun when its legal for him to have it... then it is subsequently deemed illegal... does he get his money back? I know this isn't eminent domain, but just confiscating thousands of dollars worth of someone's guns because we say its illegal now for you to have these... seems... I dunno... like something folks might find hard to swallow.

In particular, where within your home do you need a scope? You got some big-ass house.

A reflex sight of the kind shown in the picture is not meant for long-range engagements. It's more like an improved ironsight than a telescopic scope.

It is my pillow.

Wait, you sleep? I mean, with so much imminent danger that you need an AR-15 purposed for home defense shouldn't you be shooting speed so you can respond instantly 24/7? Surely the home invaders union is monitoring the sleep patterns of innocent homeowners such as yourself.

No I just lay bed staring blankly at the ceiling until I hear a noise. At which point I immediately mag dump no less than ten magazines in the direction of the sound.

That's kinda what I figured. I mean, in a living situation where an AR-15 purposed for home defense is considered a necessity how could anyone do less?

Reading all this, something occurred to me that I had not thought of (in the context of the NY law) until now. Putting aside all the time and effort to assemble and accessorize their selection of weapons... If a guy spends $800 on his gun when its legal for him to have it... then it is subsequently deemed illegal... does he get his money back? I know this isn't eminent domain, but just confiscating thousands of dollars worth of someone's guns because we say its illegal now for you to have these... seems... I dunno... like something folks might find hard to swallow.

Australia instituted a mandatory buyback program when it instituted strict gun laws.

I would certainly favor an extended buyback period accompanying an assault weapons ban, it's only fair. However if it's a seizure because some guy beat up his wife? Nah.

No I just lay bed staring blankly at the ceiling until I hear a noise. At which point I immediately mag dump no less than ten magazines in the direction of the sound.
Like this?:)

Major Payne terminates the boogeyman in the closet with extreme prejudice:ar15:

Many Americans think owning rifles and carbines is worth countless people getting blown away in the US every year, school shootings and accidental discharge of weapons (like a kid shooting someone by accident) being the most gruesome effect of this.

The shootings are in the news here in Finland too, it's sickening.

My elder brother has a Remington pump shotgun and a Smith and wesson 38 revolver, but than again he has been in the military and reserve and here it's not allowed to carry them outside.
It's been fun to shoot them at range, but otherwise I don't see any purpose.

Thankfully we don't have the threat of British redcoats assaulting us so... ;)

Major Payne terminates the boogeyman in the closet with extreme prejudice:ar15:

This seems an appropriate time to mention that in almost every closet the back wall is an interior wall shared with a room that you would expect to be occupied, most frequently another bedroom.

Well then maybe whoever was on the other side of that wall should have been quieter so as not to scare a child being guarded by an armed man suffering from severe PTSD.

I know this is only a joke, but tbh it's kind of chilling when I think about that rifle you've got

Importantly, one thing Australian states categorically do not do is accept "self defence" as a valid reason for obtaining a firearm license. As well as being empirically a terrible idea just in general, it would conflict utterly with the requirement to install and use secure storage.

Last edited:
It is the inalienable right of each and every American to possess an orbital weapons platform with at least 6 nukes, one ion cannon and a high-energy X-ray laser cannon! Anyone who say's otherwise is a dirty feelthey commie and will soon taste ion bolts and/or be Lazor'd!

You forget rods from god. :p

Well then maybe whoever was on the other side of that wall should have been quieter so as not to scare a child being guarded by an armed man suffering from severe PTSD.

The person on the other side of that wall is your child. And your child is 100 times more likely to be shot to death by your gun than the gun of a stranger.

1. It was a joke specifically related to that particular scene in Major Payne.

2. Training and preparation are key in preventing such accidents. It may seem crazy to you and I know we will probably never need it, but once a month I have us run "home defense drills" where we go through different scenarios. Again, I know it's something we'll probably never need for real, but it never hurts to be prepared. My oldest daughter also helps me clean and maintain my firearms. Gives me the opportunity to teach her about them, teach her to respect them. Also gives me a chance to get in some good father/daughter time. Once my youngest is old enough, I'll be doing the same with her.

I respect the fact that you seem to make a real effort to make your children understand guns. All too many parents these days are failing to do that.

This does not change the fact that the idea that you may someday use those guns in self defense is a fantasy. and it does not change the fact that your children are in vastly greater danger from your guns than any criminal is.

Vlad Putin is not defending your 2nd Amendment rights. He is trying to get your children killed. The NRA is not defending your right to self defense. They are trying to make a profit at your expense.

My elder brother has a Remington pump shotgun and a Smith and wesson 38 revolver, but than again he has been in the military and reserve and here it's not allowed to carry them outside.
It's been fun to shoot them at range, but otherwise I don't see any purpose.

If you can't take them outside, how do you get to the gun range? :thinkingemoji:

Thankfully we don't have the threat of British redcoats assaulting us so... ;)

What about the other kind of redcoat though...

I prefer revolvers for home defense. An assault rifle is overkill and unwieldy in close quarters. Plus you have to rotate the clips out to keep from wearing out their springs from constant depression. The revolver can just sit in the safe for years without use.

Top Bottom