The Thread Where We Discuss Guns and Gun Control

I prefer revolvers for home defense. An assault rifle is overkill and unwieldy in close quarters. Plus you have to rotate the clips out to keep from wearing out their springs from constant depression. The revolver can just sit in the safe for years without use.

Revolvers are a good choice. Magazine springs don't wear out from being in a compressed state. I've always keep my magazines loaded so I don't have to do it when I go out to shoot. Some are kept loaded for years at a time between my visits back home in NC.

In an approved transport container.

I.e. my hands.

I know this is only a joke, but tbh it's kind of chilling when I think about that rifle you've got

Commodore's evil rifle bullets will make him extra special dead instead of just normal dead if you used a different less scary gun. It's an important distinction.

1. It was a joke specifically related to that particular scene in Major Payne.

2. Training and preparation are key in preventing such accidents. It may seem crazy to you and I know we will probably never need it, but once a month I have us run "home defense drills" where we go through different scenarios. Again, I know it's something we'll probably never need for real, but it never hurts to be prepared. My oldest daughter also helps me clean and maintain my firearms. Gives me the opportunity to teach her about them, teach her to respect them. Also gives me a chance to get in some good father/daughter time. Once my youngest is old enough, I'll be doing the same with her.

It's always heartwarming to see a parent take the time to properly indoctrinate his children with his fragile, fear- and insecurity-based identity.

"Now remember sweetie, when the jackbooted thugs come for daddy just point and squeeze the trigger..."

Revolvers are a good choice. Magazine springs don't wear out from being in a compressed state. I've always keep my magazines loaded so I don't have to do it when I go out to shoot. Some are kept loaded for years at a time between my visits back home in NC.

I.e. my hands.
My gun nut friend said otherwise. And he's right I think, you can't keep a spring compressed indefinitely with no ill effects.

My gun nut friend said otherwise. And he's right I think, you can't keep a spring compressed indefinitely with no ill effects.

Yes, it's a common myth. Springs inside a magazine are always under compression unless they're removed entirely. Loaded or unloaded, it makes very little difference. They have to be compressed this way in order to guarantee reliable feeding from the first round to the last.

If you ever disassemble a magazine you'd be surprised. It will take your eye out if you aren't ready for it. And you really have cram the spring in there to get it back together.

There are rifle magazines and bolt spring from the 19th century, and they're still going strong. So with a modern magazine with military spec alloys that are designed to last...yeah, you're going to be long dead before that spring ever starts to cause problems. You're friend is being ridiculously overcautious because of bad info. You should tell him to look into it because it really is a pain in the ass to "rotates" magazines like some gun owners do.

Last edited:
I saw a bank guard the other day carrying a revolver and wondered if there is any benefit to those today, or if it's just personal taste.

I saw a bank guard the other day carrying a revolver and wondered if there is any benefit to those today, or if it's just personal taste.
That's the sort of question the NRA is good for.

I've always heard that revolvers are more reliable than guns with spring loaded clips.
Ditto. Don't guess when you can ask an expert.

J

If it's got a magazine it can and will freaking jam. Revolvers won't. No safety or special mechanics to worry about.

I've always heard that revolvers are more reliable than guns with spring loaded clips.

First: Magazines not clips. Modern semi-auto pistols (and AR/AK platforms for that matter) use magazines not clips.

And in general yes. The main reason that revolvers have stuck around despite the explosion of pistols platforms in the 20th century is their design. Revolvers for the most part are simple designs, which usually has a direct impact on reliability. Historically there are far fewer moving parts in a revolver, going from a few as 5-7 to as may as 15-19 (depending on model of course). Semi autos, on the other hand, historically (and still generally) have tons of moving parts, the 1911 has around 30 parts that perform some kind of movement when in action. The fewer the parts, the fewer the chances of something screwing up. The irony is that in the past few decades, revolvers have started to become heavily over designed, while semi-autos have trended towards streamlining. Many police and personal defense revolver models no have as many as 20+ parts that preform individual functions.

In term of firing, the revolver is more reliable because you don't have the feeding issues that semi-autos have. With a revolver, if the cylinder doesn't lineup with the barrel, usually the gun can't even attempt to fire. Cheaper revolvers & cheap ammo sometimes have the chance to discharge in the chamber as the gun gets hot, but that hasn't really been an issue for some time. There are whole books explaining that various ways semi-autos can mischamber a round.

Revolvers are popular for home defense & security guards, and used to be popular with police, because revolvers restrict the number rounds that are available to fire at a given time. 6 is usually the number. Semi-autos often carry double that number, and many more. Officers with fewer rounds means fewer bullets racing down range from a nervous cop or homeowner. It is much easier to train someone how to operate a revolver and to conserve their shots than with a semi-auto.

Revolvers are faster firing the first shot, at least the single-action ones...

Revolvers are faster firing the first shot, at least the single-action ones...

Semi auto's generally have revolvers beat when it comes to rate of fire, even when you disregard the amount of rounds. Especially since many who carry semi autos do so with them loaded in what is often called the +1 style (full magazine with an extra round in the chamber, safety on). When a gun has a safety on, the hammer has already been cocked, or in other words you can consider the gun in a state of being halfway fired.

Revolvers also have the added weight required behind the trigger (in a double action) to draw back the hammer to strike the round. A shooter can be lightning fast with a single action system, but to do so requires some amount of practice to maintain accuracy, control, and rhythm.

Hypothetically, fastest to get off the first shot should be a very significant issue. But in the reality of today's barrel strokers being able to spray lead faster, and more of it, is probably more titillating.

The length of the round and casing is limited in an automatic to what a typical person can wrap their hands around. The hand has to not only go around the bullet, but the handle of the gun has to go around the bullet, and the hand has to wrap around all of that. The calendar that a bullet can fit into in a revolver can be longer than the typical person can wrap their hands around.

I'm not expert in all handguns, so don't know all of these. But as a good example:

1-6 are very common automatic pistol rounds. 9-12 common revolver pistol rounds. As you can deduce from the length of the cartridges, the revolver rounds have more room for gunpowder behind the bullet. So you get a higher velocity bullet. Force equals mass times velocity. More speed, more force. There's variations in all sizes, since there's multiple manufacturers. But with few exceptions the most powerful handguns are the revolvers.

Top Bottom