1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Thread Where We Discuss Guns and Gun Control

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lemon Merchant, Apr 2, 2018.

1. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Ah, thx. Never heard that before.

2. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

My turret-mounted Smith&Wesson looks baller on my Camero

3. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

My guess would be the people stealing guns are those who have had their Constitutional right to legally own one stripped away from them. Remove the barriers to legal gun ownership for certain segments of the population and gun thefts would probably go down as well. The idea being that making guns more accessible legally takes away ones motivation to steal them from others.

4. El_Machinae

Guns are stolen because they're valuable and small. Same reason why GPS units used to get stolen. Or airbags.

Birdjaguar and Arwon like this.
  5. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

There's got to be a significant segment of the people who are stealing guns doing so simply because they'd rather steal them than pay for them. There's also folks who are stealing guns so that they can commit other crimes with them, using a gun that is registered to someone else rather than them.

Lexicus likes this.
  6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Especially given how good ballistics are now. For a criminal guns are single use items, not something to keep, especially when its so easy to steal another.

Lexicus likes this.
  7. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

We should subsidize gun purchases for low income people, too. It's not really a "right" if it requires money beyond a nominal fee to exercise it.

Birdjaguar and Estebonrober like this.
  8. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

And your guess would be wrong. People steel guns because they're can sell them or use them free of authorities abilities to trace them.
    If you're saying we should let felons and psychopaths have guns so they won't steal them, seems real disturbing, even by your standards.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Lexicus likes this.
  9. El_Machinae

We don't really need complex reasons as for why someone would steal a handgun. They are compact and valuable. There's no big socio-economic and political reason why handguns were stolen from cars. People put their hand guns in cars once they could, and then they got stolen.

I might live with a different perspective. I know people whose airbags were stolen. People are going to steal. Putting hand guns in cars means that guns will get stolen from cars

Lexicus likes this.
  10. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

I would be willing to be that even if they were inexpensive, they'd still get stolen.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  11. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Saturday night specials have uses.

12. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Yes, They don't have to be good to be used as a threat.

13. El_Machinae

When I was paying attention, the street value of airbags was $40 when people were cutting them out of cars.

14. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

People will smash through a car window to scoop up a handful of change left sitting out in the center console.

I mean if you're stuck arguing that people are only stealing guns out of cars because their right to own one legally was taken away, you have gone intellectually bankrupt and should stop playing Constitutionopoly. Either that or you've entirely left your senses and ought to return to the real world.

Birdjaguar and Lexicus like this.
  15. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

No, I'm saying felons should be allowed to own guns after they have completed their sentence because they are still Americans and should have all of their Constitutional rights restored to them once they have paid their debt to society.

Outside of California and a handful of other states, guns aren't registered, and nor should they be. The paper trail on the vast majority of firearms ends at the last FFL it was purchased or transferred from since they are required to keep records of who they sell to. Even then, they are only required to keep the records for two years and digital backups or databases are prohibited, it has to all be hard copies. So the idea that one would steal a gun to commit a crime without having that gun be traced back to them doesn't make much sense, considering they could buy one from a private seller who isn't required to do a background check or keep any records of the sale.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  16. El_Machinae

That would surely make everything better. A bunch of unaccountable gun-owners.

17. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

If their crime involved using a gun, they've given up that right as far as I'm concerned. Safety of society.

And we need more accountability, not less. Accountable gun use is not unconstitutional.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  18. El_Machinae

If you think felons should lose a right, then it's not really a right. Most of this discussion is about whether we implicitly think of gun ownership as an actual right.

19. Arwon

Arwon

20. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Guns are expensive and stolen guns have a ready market in people who do not want to use a gun that can be traced to them. That's what fuels gun theft. What we need to do is mass produce about a billion handguns and put them in vending machines. That way anyone who wants to shoot somebody can just pick one up real quick and do their killing, then just throw it away.

Lexicus likes this.