1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Thread Where We Discuss Guns and Gun Control

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lemon Merchant, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

Yes. For a federal republic to work, each state has to respect the legal proceedings and laws of all the other member states.

2. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

How can a pro-gun state help stop the flow of illegal guns into another state, in your model?

3. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Oh you can edit this

4. Commodore

Don't know. My guess is it would probably involve cooperation between law enforcement agencies in those states. Also laws that prohibit the sale of firearms to non-residents of the state would have to be more strictly enforced.

5. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

What???:eek: You support that?:faint: Oooooh I'm tellin' on you... you gonna lose your 2nd Amendment card for sure this time :p

cardgame likes this.
  6. Commodore

I'm not against laws that make sense. Plus, such laws don't infringe on anyone's 2nd amendment rights since all you have to do to buy a gun is go home.

7. Sommerswerd

What if "home" is some state that won't let me buy a gun because I'm an undesirable for some reason?... like because I'm a felon for example.. Or what if I'm on an extended camping vacation with my family in an RV, thousands of miles from "home" and I realize there's some weird person stalking us, following us around? I shouldn't be able to stop at a local gun store and pick something up to defend my family? I'd have to end our vacation and drive 2000 miles back home to get a gun?

8. Commodore

Well in the first case you could simply move to a state that will allow you to purchase a gun or start a political campaign in your state to change the laws. In the second case, I would say maybe you should have thought about buying a gun before the moment in which you felt you had an immediate need for one.

Which is something a lot of pro-gun people say by the way. The general idea being that you should buy a gun even if you don't think you need one, because you never know when you are going to need one.

9. Sommerswerd

Isn't that similar to saying that if you don't like the gun regulations in this country you should just move to another country?

10. Commodore

No because moving from, say, California to Texas is a lot more feasible than moving from the US to another country. Mostly because you don't have to apply for citizenship or any other kind of legal resident status to move from one state to another.

11. Sommerswerd

Well if any of that were true there would be no such thing as an "immigration problem" but that's another issue... Returning to the topic, this:
    sounds a lot like an excellent advertisement for basically any product imaginable... "The general idea being that you should buy an iphone even if you don't think you need one, because you never know when you are going to need one."... or "Sony 70 inch flatscreen TV" or "box of cheerios" or "30 pack of Bud Light" or, whatever... its just empty rhetoric that applies literally to every single product. Its an ad, a commercial, nothing more.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  12. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

It's the point I make when I insist that income taxes are voluntary, nearly everyone is capable of moving out of their country before they're legally required to pay them.

But, I think your point doesn't fall for the 'you can move to a different country' argument, because in the US the 2A is the law of the land. If that changed, THEN the 'you can always move' jibe can work.

13. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Then you break the law.

14. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

15. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

He keeps forgetting that you need the win the rebellion at the table before you shoot the forts. On the plus side, at least he's not a tankie.

"Stop being American Tories, you American Tories you.."

16. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Leftwingers should buy guns.

Phrossack and GoodSarmatian like this.
  17. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

no, they really shouldn't. left wingers should build guns! depending on big NRA for self defense is insanity anyway. I'd rather trust exxon with managing climate change.

Hygro likes this.
  18. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Leftwingers should learn chemistry

cardgame and Hygro like this.
  19. Hygro

AND DRUG PARTY/THERAPY THEM WITH CONSENT because bombs are bad. Although if leftwingers form municipal armories some heavy weapons are appropriate.

20. Hygro

Wait a second the NRA doesn't make or sell guns. I'm down with building guns but also we want expert American firms making the best guns and that means financing them with consumer dollars. That seems more efficient for national defense.