• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The very many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Westeros is just the name of one continent, on which a majority of the story takes place.

Not all of Westeros gets so cold during the winter. Dorn during the winter is usually still significantly warmer than The North is during summer. Much of Dorn is an almost inhabitable desert during the summers (which can last as long as the winters). The better irrigated parts are used for growing citrus fruit as well as their famous wines.

It has been established that the bread basket of Westeros is The Reach. This is a large area which extends from a similar latitude as King's Landing all the way down to the continent's southern coast and to some islands beyond. It includes areas which are just as far south as Dorn, but which get more rain and a milder climate. On the southern coast is Oldtown, the greatest city in Westeros. (King's Landing may have grown slightly more populous after becoming the seat of government, but Oldtown is still better is almost every way. It is ancient, but very well planned. It has well paved roads, good sanitation, and no slums. It houses the High Tower, the lighthouse which is the tallest building ever constructed; the Citadel, the great academy where all the Maesters study; and the Starry Sept, which was the center of the Faith of the Seven until the High Septon chose to relocated to the Sept of Baelor the Blessed in King's Landing.) Oldtown tends to be a slightly more comfortable in the winter than summer. The southernmost region loyal to House Tyrell of The Reach is the island called The Arbor, which fiercely competes with Dorn to supply luxury fruit and wine. The Tyrells are almost as rich as the Lannisters, despite controlling no mines of gold or any other precious mineral, because most of Westeros has little choice but to buy food from them once winter comes.

Far south of Dorn are The Summer Isles, a tropical paradise where changes in seasons are never felt. The Kings on the Iron throne have on several occasions considered conquering these islands, to secure a steady supply of food in any season. Robert Baratheon's advisers insisted this would be a foolhardy venture. They are small enough and far enough away that it would probably not be worth the cost

The region called The North is as large as all the rest of the 7 kingdoms combined. Winterfell is actually in the southern half of The North, but it is often cold enough to snow there even in the summer. The North itself is actually still in the southern half of the continent of Westeros. The area beyond The Wall, including The Lands of Always winter where The Others dwell, is larger than what Aegon conquered.

The largest continent in their world (usually called Essos, although never explicitly referred to by name in the novels) does not extend as far north as even the southernmost parts of The North. (The frigid Isles of Ib seem to be further north than The Neck, but still south of Winterfell much less The Wall.) It is mostly at latitudes between those of The Vale and Dorn, but a few peninsulae extend further south. The great empires of Valyria and Ghis both started in cities far enough south as to never feel the cold of winter.

There is another whole continent which lies south of Essos. Sothyros, like the Summer Isles, does not really experience winter at all.

How accurate is the fiction of Charles Dickens as representation of the way things were in the era he was writing about?

Dickens wrote his novels to highlight the plight of the poor, so I would imagine that there's a fair amount of cultural truth in them at least.

Can wedding vow renewals on certain anniversaries be genuinely romantic if done right, or are they nothing more than shows of vanity no matter how well they are done?

Westeros is just the name of one continent, on which a majority of the story takes place.
Thanks for a comprehensive answer.

How accurate is the fiction of Charles Dickens as representation of the way things were in the era he was writing about?
Um. There's really no way of knowing for sure of course, but I get the impression he was fairly accurate as to working class conditions and the Poor Law provisions.

And he was immensely popular during his own lifetime. Would this have been impossible if his writing didn't ring true?

Can wedding vow renewals on certain anniversaries be genuinely romantic if done right, or are they nothing more than shows of vanity no matter how well they are done?
I imagine it depends on the couple involved. There's no reason any particular renewal couldn't be either, imo.

What is a wedding, really? It's mostly vanity if you want to phrase it that way. Living with somebody, especially if you're trying to do the whole finances and kids thing, is a hell of a lot of annoying grinding work in addition to the rewarding aspects. Seems to me the whole exercise of getting two people, inviting most of the people they value, then marching up and down an isle screaming about what a big important thing they are doing is mostly an "all in" gambit to keep people invested enough in the process to make it work when it gets hard. Which it will. While I'm sure it's nothing but mostly tacky some of the time, but I can see how renewals could be kinda romantic in some contexts. Like, we're half strapped-for-cash all the time, something always throws up on the floor or breaks something expensive every day, and we have teenagers who now hate us, but look - I'm just as dedicated to working everything through with this person as I was when we were younger and it was simpler to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom