The wicked nature of pseudo-woke mob

We're predisposed with lizard brain to care way too much about this.
They started it! :lol:

Ethnicity, culture etc have valid uses.
I've seen a problem around 'culture', because once we use the word to discuss 'behaviour', we then can describe some behaviours as being better than others (for whatever value of 'better' is in the eye of the speaker). We then unpack which of those behaviours are adaptive, which are responsive, which are externally rewarded and which are internally rewarded. Which contribute to downhill cycles and which contribute to upward cycles. But, regardless, we can put a direction on this.

This can quickly spiral into accusations of racism, that can then (again) non-usefully ruin the conversation. Mainly because one person is put on their heels, and there's nothing reasonable that person can say that will re-orient the conversation. I've seen people work very hard to discuss culture, but if some of the audience sees 'race', then it's only a countdown until the conversation cannot be recovered.

Last edited:
This can quickly spiral into accusations of racism, that can then (again) non-usefully ruin the conversation. Mainly because one person is put on their heels, and there's nothing reasonable that person can say that will re-orient the conversation.
I've found "you're right, that was out of line" works wonders, but I guess it depends on whether or not people think racism is something that is out of line or not. Assuming that the accusation is on-point, naturally, but it doesn't seem like a very constructive hypothetical to imagine the accusations themselves are what's out of line.

I've found "you're right, that was out of line" works wonders, but I guess it depends on whether or not people think racism is something that is out of line or not.
Sigh.

So, if the person is taking pains to solely discuss culture, and one audience member wants to see it as 'racism', the conversation is over, eh?

That doesn't work. I keep going to the shortest path. A 3rd audience member needs to discover what's the intent of the conversation, and what component is getting hiccuped, and then find an alternative description that allows the actual discussion to occur. The offended person isn't required to have alternative framing, especially if they're attending the conversation in order to learn something. Their job is to notice the problem. The originator can't use an alternative framing, or else they would have already.

Sometimes it literally is an Type I error. Assuming that it's a Type II error can cause more damage than recognizing the error in the first place.

it doesn't seem like a very constructive hypothetical to imagine the accusations themselves are what's out of line

Or, it's exactly a hypothetical about such, and you literally assumed away part of the hypothetical. "They should apologize" would be "reasonable". Some people are much better at finding offense than others, to the point where there's nothing reasonable the first person can say. Apologies would require two things (unless you're just trying to placate), recognizing a mistake and then having an alternative framing.

Yes, calling someone 'hyper-woke' will ruin a conversation, but it's also essential to recognize the hyper-woke and realize they're also going to ruin a conversation. The best you can do is be more prepared and more clever than the two looming disruptions.

Last edited:
I remember a while back there was a funny video floating around with one guy wearing a t-shirt that said "WOKE" & another wearing a t-shirt that said "RACIST", & they agreed on so much! Both can derail a decent discussion. Racists don't demonize their allies for not being racist enough though, I suppose. So they have that going for them at least.

Yes, they do. Even the ones that call it profit.

I've seen a problem around 'culture', because once we use the word to discuss 'behaviour', we then can describe some behaviours as being better than others (for whatever value of 'better' is in the eye of the speaker). We then unpack which of those behaviours are adaptive, which are responsive, which are externally rewarded and which are internally rewarded. Which contribute to downhill cycles and which contribute to upward cycles. But, regardless, we can put a direction on this.

This can quickly spiral into accusations of racism, that can then (again) non-usefully ruin the conversation. Mainly because one person is put on their heels, and there's nothing reasonable that person can say that will re-orient the conversation. I've seen people work very hard to discuss culture, but if some of the audience sees 'race', then it's only a countdown until the conversation cannot be recovered.

I'm sure you think I've forgotten your post where you argue the Cyclopae had their own culture worth preserving until Odysseus arrived.

Sigh.

So, if the person is taking pains to solely discuss culture, and one audience member wants to see it as 'racism', the conversation is over, eh?

That doesn't work. I keep going to the shortest path. A 3rd audience member needs to discover what's the intent of the conversation, and what component is getting hiccuped, and then find an alternative description that allows the actual discussion to occur. The offended person isn't required to have alternative framing, especially if they're attending the conversation in order to learn something. Their job is to notice the problem. The originator can't use an alternative framing, or else they would have already.

Sometimes it literally is an Type I error. Assuming that it's a Type II error can cause more damage than recognizing the error in the first place.
The problem is generalising. No?

If someone is taking pains to discuss culture, but doesn't want to reconcile what impact culture has vis-à-vis racism, then they're not engaging properly on the topic. You can't silo things to remove the parts of the whole that aren't palettable. It has to be holistic, otherwise yes, people are going to start assuming some form of bad (or at least poor) faith on any given subject.

A conversation being over is decided by the participants, and (imo) should be respected. Even if others are getting worth out of it, if someone wants to disengage, that should still be respected. Nobody should be conscripted into such a duty, right? Of course, if disengaging comes with sniping or similar behaviour, that's problematic, but again that's good faith / bad faith, etc.

Either participant can reframe. Neither necessarily have to, but I think you're cutting the originator too much slack in this context. Though maybe that's just realistic, as ill-suited as the realism is to any solution.
Or, it's exactly a hypothetical about such, and you literally assumed away part of the hypothetical. "They should apologize" would be "reasonable". Some people are much better at finding offense than others, to the point where there's nothing reasonable the first person can say. Apologies would require two things (unless you're just trying to placate), recognizing a mistake and then having an alternative framing.

Yes, calling someone 'hyper-woke' will ruin a conversation, but it's also essential to recognize the hyper-woke and realize they're also going to ruin a conversation. The best you can do is be more prepared and more clever than the two looming disruptions.
Hah, I think I have the dissonance here. "reasonable" is subjective. That's a lot of the problem in communication to begin with, for sure, to the extent that you literally say "some people are much better at finding offense than others". The difference is you follow it up with "there's nothing reasonable the first person can say". This puts the burden on the first person; the finder of the offense, to accept the reasonable reframing. Why? I mean, they can, but it's massively contextual. I'm far more likely to accept a reasonable reframing on topic X than I am topic Y. Because I'm human, and different things affect me differently. That's offense in a nutshell. It just so happens I'm more affected by things related to say, child cruelty, than I am eating meat. I can't excuse it. I can certainly explain it, as much of a downer as it may be, but that still doesn't make it rational.

You can "recognise" you who you want (redundant note: the spelling wasn't the point of the quotes there), but the label itself is what drives conflict. The originator, in-context. I am what you would call "hyper-woke", you see. My politics, my ideals, place me firmly that left-of-centre that I would be characterised as such. The problem is the language is inherently conservative, so by employing it you're fighting a losing battle. What I think you're actually referring to is a specific line of thought, but that isn't "woke", it's rather ironically bipartisan. A refusal to recognise disruption? Possibly is a way to phrase it. But it's also symptomatic of bias (and idiolect) that "hyper-woke" is the phrase you go for. I'm not knocking it exactly, I'm trying to explain it (late at night, when I should be writing some SQL).

The looming disruption is caused by you thinking of somebody as hyper-woke, which in turn characterises your response, your angle, the way you perceive the content, before you even type the phrase. It's all tied together. You see such a person as someone to be prepared for. To be more clever than. That's inherently combative, and not conducive to any kind of resolution.

For my part, I think I see what El Mac is driving at, and it's going to prompt some noodling over the next couple of days, since it falls in with a project I'd wanted to do anyway.

The way we've got ourselves into this particular discussion of race (samson's chart about medical research) actually prompts us to the better framing El Mac is calling for, I think.

Here's what I have in mind, though it's inchoate at present. People who are perfectly content to acknowledge the social-constructedness of race, would also likely be upset that medical research has favored people-of-European-descent (let us say, as I believe his article did say); that's one form that systemic racism takes. We can't redress that inequity without deliberately expanding the pool of participants to (let us say) people-of-other-descent-than-European. A first step toward naming those alternate groups is just by world-region. But since some of that medical research is going to concern the genetics of people-of-particular-population-groups and may concern genetic medical predispositions germane to those groups, we need a way of naming what it is we're doing when we assemble those corrective groups.

90% of the time, "race is a social construct" will do. This is one of the 10% of the times when it won't, and if we can work out the right language for "population groups" at these two levels sufficient to govern the efforts of medical researchers, those same terms might help us have more constructive conversations (ward off two looming disruptions) about population groups in general.

In other words, we woke gotta in this one case get off our knee-jerk duffs (how's that for a formulation?) and work out a much more precise and intricate terminology.

If these ruminations prove fruitful, I'll make a thread. But it likely won't be til Tuesday at the earliest.

For my part, I think I see what El Mac is driving at, and it's going to prompt some noodling over the next couple of days, since it falls in with a project I'd wanted to do anyway.

The way we've got ourselves into this particular discussion of race (samson's chart about medical research) actually prompts us to the better framing El Mac is calling for, I think.

Here's what I have in mind, though it's inchoate at present. People who are perfectly content to acknowledge the social-constructedness of race, would also likely be upset that medical research has favored people-of-European-descent (let us say, as I believe his article did say); that's one form that systemic racism takes. We can't redress that inequity without deliberately expanding the pool of participants to (let us say) people-of-other-descent-than-European. A first step toward naming those alternate groups is just by world-region. But since some of that medical research is going to concern the genetics of people-of-particular-population-groups and may concern genetic medical predispositions germane to those groups, we need a way of naming what it is we're doing when we assemble those corrective groups.

90% of the time, "race is a social construct" will do. This is one of the 10% of the times when it won't, and if we can work out the right language for "population groups" at these two levels sufficient to govern the efforts of medical researchers, those same terms might help us have more constructive conversations (ward off two looming disruptions) about population groups in general.

In other words, we woke gotta in this one case get off our knee-jerk duffs (how's that for a formulation?) and work out a much more precise and intricate terminology.

If these ruminations prove fruitful, I'll make a thread. But it likely won't be til Tuesday at the earliest.
There are three different types of things, and it is their conflation that is causing an apparent contradiction.
  1. Genetics
    1. People make babies, and those babies tend to share features with their parents.
    2. Some of these features are visible, quite strongly genetically determined and different in people who evolved with different environmental challenges (such as intensity of sunlight/skin melanin content).
  2. In-group bias
    1. Our monkey brains are wired to recognise features of in-group vs out-group and treat people differently because of that.
    2. This has been conclusively shown by functional MRI studies to be a universal human characteristic.
  3. Label based politics
    1. It is a strategy of certain sections of the political spectrum to generate recognition of a label as a measure of in/out group and encourage bias on that label.
    2. This label can then be used as a target for discrimination, in a way that helps the political cause of those generating the recognition of the label.
While these are all connected, they are all different concepts and I do not think too controversial. The question then is semantic, for example how much genetics does label based politics need to be racism? Whoopi's point was the anti-semitism of the nazis did not have enough, so it was not racism. Most people think this is wrong. We could say the same about the nazi homophobia, and I suspect more would agree as the heritable component of homosexuality is so small. However it is clear that the important bit, label based politics and discrimination, is present in both.

What we need is words that allow us to recognise the different things going on, and refer to them unambiguously. The best way of doing this is a very difficult question.

It's exactly those that I want to unscramble--terminologically. Someone (other than me) ought to have done this before, and I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel. But our discussions are always vexed by slippage between and among those three categories, that it just feels to me that carefully chosen language could pin things down more effectively. My first notion is to get "race" out of the picture altogether.

Health care workers use self-reported race, because there is no way to objectively determine someone's race from their genes.

Yes, you are. You are literally saying that genetic differences between human populations means that race is biological and exists independently of society and history. This is false, and you are either being dishonest or you simply do not understand what you are talking about. In either case your persistence in being wrong about this raises the question of why you so badly want/need race to be biologically real.
the question is why you conflate differences with superiority/inferiority and how you felt the need to correct the mistaken subjective experience of a po black woman (Whoopi)

What are you referring to as nonsense? Everything I wrote there is just factually true. The concept of a divinely-ordained hereditary aristocracy predates social darwinism by millennia.
to-may-to, to-ma-to..... (claim to superiority)

Last edited:
This is a stupid thing to admit but I think he's saying it as something he was ashamed of in a desperate mindstate.

Re : Taratino (in last few pages). Shouldn't he be banned/blacklisted/cancelled? Rogan quoted the n-word whereas Tarantino says it for himself (written for himself) like 80 times in pulp fiction?

Dunno about Tarantino, but on the same path, my friends and I discussed whether Tropic Thunder could get made today.

I think I crossposted between this & movie thread. Tropic Thunder was great btw :D

wait nm you did!

Top Bottom