These are United States Republicans aka American Conservatives

I blame Obama and Hillary !

Classical Liberalism has been soundly rejected by the Republican party. A weakened version of it has run occasionally, and has been easily defeated.

As well, 'conservatives' is not the same thing as Classical Liberalism. There might be some overlap, but they are different phenomena.

I could understand people thinking that classical liberalism was the main force in the Republican Party four years ago. I could even understand thinking it before the Republican Primary. I think it would have been wrong then, but it would at least have been understandable.

But now? Thinking it now, in the wake of Trump's electoral victories, is just delusional.

In any case, as I said in the post that presumably induced ADH to start this thread, the main political force uniting the Republican coalition is white supremacy. And that's been true since the 1960s.

Civil liberties and political freedom? Uh no. Supporting one amendment while taking a dump on the others does not make US conservatives fit that description.

All rights under the constitution become disposable to Republicans whenever a minority group is empowered by them.
Modern US conservatives have a real skewed vision of Constitutionalism. Supporting full freedom of the 2nd amendment is all that's necessary to be a Constitutionalist. Oh, that and supporting free speech of bigots and racists because, you know, hate speech doesn't infringe on minorities pursuit of happiness at all or something like that.

But even then, when scary urban Black people were committing a lot of crime with guns and scaring white people, it was OK to ban assault weapons. ALL amendments, even the 2nd, are fully malleable if the effect is to make white people feel more secure.

1) Modern US conservatives have a real skewed vision of Constitutionalism.

2) Supporting full freedom of the 2nd amendment is all that's necessary to be a Constitutionalist.

2) plus "originalism" in judges

1) It's been fun to watch them rediscovering the value of some of the beautiful checks and balances built into our system, though.

I've shared this several times, but the most depressing moment for me during the campaign was a Trump rally soon after the Khan incident. Some protesters held up copies of the Constitution, a la Khan, and were jeered out of the auditorium to chants of U.S.A. U.S.A.

But even then, when scary urban Black people were committing a lot of crime with guns and scaring white people, it was OK to ban assault weapons. ALL amendments, even the 2nd, are fully malleable if the effect is to make white people feel more secure.

That's the funny part. Growing up my family was conservative and my best friend's was hardcore democrat (his dad was a union steward). They had the fully loaded guncase, we had one 12-gage. He constantly talked about building a banned assault rifle out of legal parts. The flip in ideologies 20 years later is so weird to me.

The right to bear arms shall not be infringed.
*holds up a pair of severed bear arms*

Pretty sure nobody in the Trump administration has ever described themselves using the word "liberal"
You would probably lose that bet.

Not if you have literal minded Justices. You seem to have switched positions on what sort of Judges you want to see. I thought you believed the Constitution was a framework.

J

Last edited:
Usually the when the No True Scotsman fallacy gets invoked there's at least a few True Scotsmen within the set being referred to.

Top Bottom