1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

This IS a Conservative C2C MP game Thunderbrd! :p

Discussion in 'Multiplayer and LP's' started by JosEPh_II, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

For troubleshooting it's best if I'm last in the cycle. However, between you and I it's clear that it's best if I'm just before you rather than after, though I can usually work with after as well... it's just a little more straining and sometimes makes me late for work ;)

2. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

For me the most interesting part of the game is the early part. I'd be totally against auto-playing a start I'm afraid

3. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Okay the autorun suggestion is Out.

@Koshling,
    would you have any objections to using Normal vs Epic Game speed?

I'm good on either speed. Both have their respective attractions for me. Normal sets a brisk pace and we've all seen how Epic runs.

So I guess next we need a consensus on which Map type, Islands or PM3.10, or a 3rd perhaps with Planet Gen 0.68(but I would suggest/want slightly different settings than the Prog game).

I know I like to explore and not just by land, so the "Age of Discovery" (sailing the briny seas) is an exciting time for me. Which means I'm leaning toward an "islands" type map. I used to play the heck out of Archipelago years ago, had some really good Naval wars and invasions. And you still could be discovering new "land" even up to Steamships. And I've gotten similar games from using Maps such as Islands. And the occasional PM Map that uses the Everywhere start. Old World actually limits the Land masses in my experience with PM. So chime in guys or you can let me surprise you. :D

JosEPh

4. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

I can play this one as well, although many options chosen are ones I would never play a game with. But Joseph proposed a fast game, so I'm up for the experience.

I would strongly advocate for Normal so we can play Joseph's idea.

Also what would be the rules for delay/disappearance? I would like to know so I don't slow this game if I must take a break.

Also, if the turn order is important, I believe I could take the turn prior to the first US player, as my zone is UTC-3 (and I'll usually be able to play early in the day instead of late).

5. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Time zones that I know of:
    Spirictum UTC -3
    Magnus UTC -5
    koshling UTC -6
    Me UTC -6
    T-brd UTC -8

Now work schedules:
    Koshling works, generally takes turn around 7:15 to 7:45 AM Central and then if possible 6:45-9:30 pm CTZ
    I follow koshling because I'm in same TZ, retired and can play right on his heels so to speak both morning and evening
    Magnus works his schedule seems to be Noon Central to Midnight even though he's on the east coast
    T-brd works in Pacific TZ and seems to be available most evenings and late night Central TZ
    Spirictum early UTC -3 which would fit in the early early AM for CTZ.

So rotation would most likely be, Spirictum, koshling, me, Magnus, T-brd

As for who starts the game with 1st turn this could be any of these 3: T-brd, Spirictum, or koshling

The rotation that would probably give the best chance of most (but generally not all) players getting 2 turns in a day would be with a koshling or Spirictum start as i see it. Feel free to chime in with any pertinent info.

This of course is all subject to change if any more players want in. I take it whisperr is not interested in this game T-brd?

JosEPh

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I'm happy with whatever you select here.

That would work. Again, I think it would be a little better for timing if I was before magnus but a little better for debugging issues if I'm last (this puts me with the NPCs taking their turns after mine so most 'end turn' issues would be something I don't have to get into another player's game to fix.)

She was only convinced to do the other one because the options are more like her preferences and because we're considering teams. We both felt bad that we were getting info we weren't really supposed to have by being independent players in the same game and feeling restricted from helping each other was a frustration as well. And without that restriction it's just unfair to other players because we'd tend to naturally form a rock solid cooperative pact from the beginning to the end of the game. And she can be a bit more delayed about taking her turns at times simply because she doesn't feel like it when it comes up (she tends to get annoyed when it comes up because she then immediately feels pressured to get in and take the turn.) It's... complicated. But certainly not personal towards you or anyone else.

7. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

While I am technically UTC-5, my personal schedule runs much later. I am only rarely awake before noon, and usually up until 3 or 4am local time. It is only Sunday when I often begin work around Noon (till 8pm), other days it would be 5pm till ~11pm. Thus putting me after Thunderbrd should be viable, for both games even.

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Well... I start at noon and finish at 5 as far as my work sched goes so Magnus and I have been looking to take turns at about the same time anyhow. But again, probably best if I'm last in the cycle so if that means putting Magnus before me here, that doesn't kill things.

9. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Okay then.

Back to Maps, I have been trying different settings with these 3 map choices; Planet generator 0.68, Islands, and PM 3.10. All can make the type of map that would give good start locations for all players. And keep the exploration/discovery part of the game active much longer than Another's PM2 map ever could. Of course jumping from Large to Huge does make a big difference as well. This is even more pronounced with only 5 players so far.

Of the 3 I'm leaning more to PG 0.68 or Islands than PM3.10.

Sidenote: I have PM'd Vokarya about Both new games.

JosEPh

10. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I'm happy with any map you choose

11. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Right. Then I think I'm going to reverse on my earlier position and say go with Islands.

12. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

I like the idea of islands, I never play in anything that isn't like Perfect World so it would be nice for a change.

13. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

With just 5 players (for now) on a Huge map the "Islands" are more like continents. I will be using the options Extra Large Islands and Many small islands. This will allow some early exploration beyond your "island" but not enough to circumnavigate the world until true ocean going vessels are researched. You might meet a neighbor early, early game but the probability will be small. And with using Normal Game speed your isolation won't last for hundreds of turns either. Just long enough to get a reasonable empire going on your piece of land before Diplomacy will need to kick in. So basically I've set it up so early era wars will be rare. We should all be into classical era before that possibility arises. But of course there can always be an exception or 2 on any map like this. Build your Empire and watch the horizons, fight the Barbs, Neanders, and wild animals early game while you plan for expansion beyond your coast lines.

JosEPh

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

15. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

It never has been settled whether we are using random nations&leaders or selecting. If we are selecting, I choose Henry Morgan of the Pirates. I like the look of their units and cities and it fits the theme well.

16. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Noted. Also remember with No Negative traits Option On your leader will only have 2 traits, the 1st 2 as in C2C the 3rd is always negative. Very similar to stock BtS in that regard.

Now what do the rest of the players have to say on picking or Random?

JosEPh

17. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

As I'm not sure which are the advantages of each culture, I can live with choosing. But if some people are already aware of good combos between traits and cultures I would prefer that we go random. Just to depicture my point, when I conquered Canada's capital in our Massive MP game (Joseph's ex-capital) I got North American culture, and that opened a pretty cheap building that gives +1:) in the city that builds it. That was a great addition to my strategy, as I was amassing happiness to expand fast.

18. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I like choosing for this one but it'll take me an evening to look through to figure out what I'd want to pick.

19. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Spirictum, start a game and look through the Servopedia (I keep forgetting how to spell that), specifically at Nations, Leaders, and Traits. [F12]

The only thing that the Nation chosen will give you is the base culture (IE: European, South American, etc) and determine the appearance of your units and cities. Well, it will also limit the Leader(s) you can choose from, so it may be best to just look at those.

The Leader that you select will determine which two Traits you have. This is important. Well, it can be. That depends on a person's playstyle, and since you said that yours changes a lot, perhaps it is not important to you.

As a note, any player who does not care who their Leader is can have their own selection set to Random. This is a player-by-player setting and thus does not have to be everyone or nobody.

Do remember, you are not choosing a Culture. Those have to be built as Wonders during play. You are choosing a base culture (which does limit which full Cultures you can access), and two Traits.

As a thought related to choosing, would we want to limit each base culture to one player? This would be to have a wider overall selection of Cultures built during the game, and mean less competition for them for each player. Admittedly, this point would have been better to make before anyone had selected a Leader, but I had not thought of it then. If so, the "Pirate Empire" is considered European. Of course, if we do this, then everyone will have to choose, as a Random leader might overlap.

20. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Well since Spirictum resides in Brazil then a very good suggestion for him would be Dom Pedro. The War Dog's leader from Another MP game. :mischief:

I have a good 1/2 dozen I like to play. So I have flexibility if someone else would happen to pick one of my more used Leaders. I will say I will Not be picking Pacal. :p

JosEPh