1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

TIL: Today I Learned

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, May 24, 2013.

1. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

This is a thread for interesting tidbits of fact that you may have learned today that you hadn't previously known.

TIL that Dr Ruth Westheimer, best known as a sex therapist and adviser was once trained to be a sniper.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/doctor/drruth.asp

2. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

I actually give this props as 'thread of the day'.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Now I can whore myself out for Reddit karma by copy pasting the front page headlines!

Oh, you mean there is no karma on CFC? Oh... :(

4. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

TIL that Peter Gabriel's 1986 Sledgehammer received a record 9 MTV Awards and is to this day the most aired song video in its history. :eek:

5. Muhammed

Muhammed Chieftain

It was wayyyyy ahead of its time. Both in terms of music and visuals in the video. Personally I still think we havent cought up with it. The song is a brilliant piece of art.

6. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

I must agree. Yesterday I rediscovered Gabriel when looking for a CD to play and found his 1990 recopilatory Shaking The Tree, and man I can't take Solsbury Hill out of my head either.

7. Cutlass

I first heard that song on the radio while in my car. I thought to myself, "I didn't know Peter Gabriel had a new album out, but that sure sounds like him."

8. Muhammed

Muhammed Chieftain

@JoanK: thanks, I will check that out later tonight as I dont really know Peter Gabriel, just Sledgehammer. Which, in its own, compliments the song :)

@Cutlass: Heh, thats an amazing example. It remains avantgarde and timeless.

Btw this could turn out to be a great thread.

Anyway: TIL that Peter Gabriel was actually a part of Genesis :crazyeye:

9. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

TIL why a Mac would have a glass of wine on its taskbar. And apparently the taskbar is called a dock.

10. Cutlass

11. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

His former band, Genesis had the music video Land of Confusion the same year. It was also excellent.

12. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Today I confirmed that the more history I read, the more sympathetic I become to Communist causes.

13. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

The more CFC posts by diehard Communists I read, the less sympathetic I get. Not because I have anything against communism, but because they can't change their minds, won't change the subject, and get rude when they're questioned.

I'm reading Bowling Alone. It helped me learn more about the extent of the disappearance of American society, and that elderly retirees were largely responsible for most of the increase in volunteering in the '90s. Granted, it's 14 years old, but still useful.

14. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Apparently Japan has private prisons. But only since the late 2000's. Cookie to anyone who guesses what game made me look that up.

15. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

SimCity? (Nope. That won't be it. I don't have a clue. I really don't know why I guessed.)

16. Crezth

Crezth Gaslight-Punk

Bingo. The main problem with "communists" and all purporters of liberal causes (republicanism, liberalism, etc.) are that they refuse to think out of the box. They are stubbornly stuck to their ways and refuse to think or investigate new modes of thought.

That's why I'm proud to be a conservative: free-thinker, defender of all that involves changing minds.

17. Phrossack

If you say so. I can't stand most conservatives, though.

18. Crezth

Crezth Gaslight-Punk

At least conservatives change their minds and think outside the box, unlike dyed-in-the-wool stuck-in-their-ways "liberals."

19. Phrossack

Whatever you say, Mr. Colbert.

Bill3000 likes this.
  20. Crezth

Crezth Gaslight-Punk

The truth hurts.