1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TIL: Today I Learned

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, May 24, 2013.

1. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

TIL that the Americans with Disabilities Act was passed much later than I expected. And it's interesting to note the amount of time needed to change societal views.

2. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

Whoopi Goldberg, before she became famous, worked in phone sex among other things.

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Li Bai, one of the greatest Chinese poets (whose influence in the Sinosphere, along with other important Chinese poets like Du Fu, have been compared to Shakespeare in the Anglosphere), was born in Afghanistan. Or Tajikistan. Or Kyrgyzstan. Somewhere in Central Asia, basically. His mom may have even been Turkish. Really a testament to the interconnectedness of the world in the past.

Also learned that ancient Iranian musical forms, while pretty much dead elsewhere, "survives" to this day... in Japan, of all places, via Japanese imperial court music. Long story short ancient Japanese picked up the music in China during the Tang Dynasty, as the Chinese then were obsessed with Persian stuff at the time including Persian music. Anyhow I actually knew this and learned it ages ago but forgot about it. Also a very nice testament to the diffusion of culture and ideas past (and present).

4. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Dang these were really cool to learn.

Our ancient times interconnectedness is very real. Our most recent common ancestor (of virtually all people! Like 99.9999995+%) was, after all, born only sometime between 2050-9000 years ago.

5. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

So I'm a lot more closely related to you than I thought, huh? :hmm:

But yeah it's fun finding out how ideas and customs and stuff gets spread around all over the place and people forget about where it came from.

Also, minor addition to what I re-learned above: the Japanese court music style I discussed above, Gagaku, is rather slow and for those who are inexperienced with listening to it it can be a bit of a drag due to its slowness. I remember now that my professor told me (in the class where I originally learned this) that what may have happened was that over centuries, as generations of Japanese court musicians learned from one another, the music got gradually and gradually slower as it became more of a ceremonial thing. So what you hear nowadays as Gagaku was probably once music with a more "normal" tempo (and one I suspect may have been even rather lively, given that Persian music was often accompanied by dance during its days of popularity - Yang Guifei and An Lushan, two famous figures in Tang history, for instance, were apparently quite good at dancing to that sort of Persian music). And music that wasn't necessarily so "refined" and "classical"-like, either.

6. haroon

haroon Chieftain

read a beautiful religous quotation today

only speak when your words more beautiful than silence!

7. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

So I can't talk to emergency responders about a horrible incident that happened?

8. CKS

CKS Chieftain

No, your words will be more beautiful than silence then, since they will lead to help arriving. Silence will cause the horrible situation to remain unchanged.

9. haroon

haroon Chieftain

African girl in human zoo, Belgium 1958

This girl is in a human zoo in Brussels, Belgium in 1958. Human zoos with African people put on display go back to at least 19th century Europe. The ''visitors'' here are feeding her just like you feeds animals in the zoo.

I just learnt there is such thing in history today.

10. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

1958?

11. haroon

haroon Chieftain

I'm not an expert on this matter and I just know it today, according to the article over here:

and

and

however if anyone can verify this information or even make a deeper commentary about this it will be more interesting.

12. nc-1701

nc-1701 bombombedum

TIL (well yesterday but w/e): Graduate students are unionized in the California state schools! I want a union:p

13. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Bender and Marcus Fenix have the same voice? That's just weird.

14. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton How much Parmesan to put on your umbrella?

Russia has about 800k soldiers, which is a lot for its population size, and every European country seem to have been slashing its military budget over the years, except Russia (and perhaps Greece).

15. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

That just looks extremely horrible.

And one should also have in mind that Belgium was quite related to the nice years in the Free Congo State :(

I too have to wonder if the pic is from 1958 (or anything post WW2), but maybe the african people there were paid to be seen as part of a rare exhibit or something (which again should place this before the 1950s and electronic media). Still very sad.

16. haroon

haroon Chieftain

and she is so cute also, how can they fail to see how human she is.

17. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

18. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Concerning the human zoos, aye, it was pretty common place in 18th and 19th century Europe, even into the 20th century. I remember studying in one class a case where a Khoisan woman from South Africa was captured and turned into a live exhibit in England in the late 18th century. If I remember correctly somehow she ended up getting out of there and learning to speak/write/read English a bit, though she unfortunately spent some time as a prostitute - her unusual appearance (particualarly her large buttocks (I kid you not)) certainly were interesting to some of the English men.

19. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Challenge accepted

The woman you are talking about is Sarah Baartman (not her real name). Unfortunately no happy ending for her though.

20. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Yup, that's her. Died young, too, sadly.