Today I Learned #2: Gone for a Wiki Walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIL that the language of Sparta, Tsakonika, is still spoken by a couple of thousand people in Greece.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20201215-the-last-speakers-of-ancient-sparta

This is also due to the region being very mountainous, with small area between the mountains in the central Peloponnese to allow for isolated towns. It was also one of the last strongholds of the Byzantine Empire.
Sparta itself had not much land to cultivate, so conquered Messenia, which is the south-western quarter of the peninsula.
The greek revolution of 1821 first succeeded in the Peloponese, due to relatively low non-greek population there in the first place.

I am not aware of how tied their idiom is to ancient doric. Look for a lot of "a"s in place of the standard "e"s :)

I am not aware of how tied their idiom is to ancient doric. Look for a lot of "a"s in place of the standard "e"s :)

That's what my teacher for Greek at secundary school also said: more epsilon's and eta's.

As anecdote
I skipped Greek when going from the third to the fourth class because I had to make a choice between Greek and Math II (vectors, matrix, statistics) and I really wanted to have all aimed at natural sciences when getting my school diploma.
So lazy or minmax as I am, I had not put that much effort anymore in getting good grades that year for Greek. So one of the last lessons I got a oral exam which would determine whether I would pass at all to the next year, and that teacher, being a real nice guy in general, asked me to sit on the chair for oral exams in front of the class, the roasting chair, the book on my lap.
I was prepared and could rattle up the homework for that day, some translations of in advance known pieces of texts, even upside down from the top of my head.

So he smiled for the effort, but even a max grade would not be enough by math to get that year's overall grade high enough... pfff... I was at his mercy already.
and then said: "It is not about Greek language, but about what you learned here on the classic culture of the Greek directly from their texts... so... what can you tell me about Greek culture ?"
And I had just read about that story of the Cyclops story of Odysseus which could come from dwarven elephant skulls found recently on Cyprus.
So I started with telling that the name of Cyprus was coming from the Greek Kupros, meaning copper, because of the rich copper veins there and then moved to the Odysseus story which was new to him.
Yesss :)
He even told straight away... you passed !

A year later, to pass to the 5th class, still lazy, I skipped Latin again because of limitation of max subjects.
During my time at secondary a new school education law was implemented, massive effects and called the Mammoth Law, reducing the knowledge level tremendously of secondary school gymnasiums in order to make education more accessable.... but adding subjects on top was forbidden. Our rector violated the rules where he could and found mostly good teachers.
In order to have full natural science package I even had to skip geography and history in the 5th and 6th class :sad::sad:
Anyway, the same as with Greek happened with Latin... the teacher told me later, happily in private and not in front of the class, that the only reason I passed Latin with high enough grade was that I had sung so beautifully in my first year as soprano in the school choir :o

Last edited:
TIL that the language of Sparta, Tsakonika, is still spoken by a couple of thousand people in Greece.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20201215-the-last-speakers-of-ancient-sparta
If you browse around you can find a Pontic Greek wikipedia. Other reducts (mostly intentionally extinguished for political reasons) include Crimean/Taurid Greek in Southern Ukraine, Grikó i.e. south Italian-megalohellenic Greek, and some would say Cappadocian Greek too.
I started with telling that the name of Cyprus was coming from the Greek Kupros, meaning copper, because of the rich copper veins there
It's the other way around! Chalkos is copper and the Romans called it aes at first and then cyprium because it came from the island called Kypros.

Last edited:
Indeed, the greek (ancient as well) term for copper is Chalkos. I should know, since it is the defining part of my surname ^_^ I suppose that, according to my surname, I was born of (or tied to) copper.

I saw various etymologies for Kypros, but the (latin) copper one is clearly not tied to the first use of the name. Some suggested that Kypros can be tied to kyo-, which means to conceive (usually for pregnancy), arguing that the fact Kypros is (near) where Aprodite was born, makes this more likely. Aprodite literally means emerging from the (sea)foam. No need to mention what produced the foam - you have wiki - but one of her common surnames was "Kypris" (cyprian) :p

Another etymological suggestion was about local fauna. While ancient greek cities were often named after crops being prominent near the founding site, it probably doesn't work that well for an entire island. Then again, one theory is that Sardinia was named after a local poisonous plant which made people die in agony and have their face form a sardonic laughter in the final stage.

TIL Ethan Peck (Star Trek: Discovery) is the grandson of Gregory Peck (To Kill a Mockingbird; Cape Fear).

There are probably more than one there (?).
But the patriarchate is (afaik) still greek.
True

Didn't think too much about it, saw it on the tv just now and he was only presented as archbishop.
I'll look closer into it later

supposedly a member of the band Queen is an astrophysist or some sort of an astronomer .

Last edited:
TIL that youtube has awful sound quality.

I am a bit ashamed to admit that in the second half of lockdown I discovered youtube as a source of music, and got quite into it. The varied live performances of my favourite artists and the new artists that youtube decides I would like, coupled with the cost free model and lack of adverts with adblockers was a novel experience of music for me. However with this thing about the CO2 emissions of streaming I have gone back to my music collection. So when I wanted to find a youtube version of what I was listening to so I could post it here I was amazed to find that the youtube version is missing all that made it good. I do not actually know how to post a good version of it here, perhaps someone knows. I have always considered myself a bit of a philistine when it comes to audio quality.

Then again, one theory is that Sardinia was named after a local poisonous plant which made people die in agony and have their face form a sardonic laughter in the final stage.
When I first heard of it, I assumed it had something to do with sardines.

(actually true; such is the logic of an 8-year-old taking a browse through an atlas)

TIL that youtube has awful sound quality.

I am a bit ashamed to admit that in the second half of lockdown I discovered youtube as a source of music, and got quite into it. The varied live performances of my favourite artists and the new artists that youtube decides I would like, coupled with the cost free model and lack of adverts with adblockers was a novel experience of music for me. However with this thing about the CO2 emissions of streaming I have gone back to my music collection. So when I wanted to find a youtube version of what I was listening to so I could post it here I was amazed to find that the youtube version is missing all that made it good. I do not actually know how to post a good version of it here, perhaps someone knows. I have always considered myself a bit of a philistine when it comes to audio quality.
Why be ashamed? That family of musicians from Ecuador I stumbled across while following a link to a different song has helped save my sanity during this pandemic.

How it happened was this way: I was reading comments on my MLA's FB page, and she was being her usual nose-in-the-air self, refusing to answer her constituents' questions, so somebody posted a link to Simon & Garfunkel's "Sound of Silence."

Well, just for the hell of it, I decided to follow the link and listen. Then in the recommendations alongside was "Sound of Silence" performed with panflutes, and I'd never heard anything like that before.

Before they finished playing, I was hooked. Wuauquikuna does two livestreams per week and occasionally posts another song or video, that may have been shot in Ecuador (where they come from) or in Poland (where they live and record now). The musicians (they're brothers who have been performing together for over 16 years) are always trying to find a balance of relaxing meditative pieces and upbeat pieces that cheer their listeners up and even prompt them to get up and dance (I have actually seen comments in the livestream: "My wife is dancing around the living room right now").

They're multilingual and don't mind teaching a bit of Quechua now and then, so it's been educational.

So thanks to a snarky FB post on a miserable politicians's page, I found a musical group I absolutely love. The music cheers me up when I want to be cheered up, and relaxes me when I want to be relaxed. And the videos they shot in Ecuador shows some really spectacular scenery.

When I first heard of it, I assumed it had something to do with sardines.

(actually true; such is the logic of an 8-year-old taking a browse through an atlas)

Why be ashamed? That family of musicians from Ecuador I stumbled across while following a link to a different song has helped save my sanity during this pandemic.

How it happened was this way: I was reading comments on my MLA's FB page, and she was being her usual nose-in-the-air self, refusing to answer her constituents' questions, so somebody posted a link to Simon & Garfunkel's "Sound of Silence."

Well, just for the hell of it, I decided to follow the link and listen. Then in the recommendations alongside was "Sound of Silence" performed with panflutes, and I'd never heard anything like that before.

Before they finished playing, I was hooked. Wuauquikuna does two livestreams per week and occasionally posts another song or video, that may have been shot in Ecuador (where they come from) or in Poland (where they live and record now). The musicians (they're brothers who have been performing together for over 16 years) are always trying to find a balance of relaxing meditative pieces and upbeat pieces that cheer their listeners up and even prompt them to get up and dance (I have actually seen comments in the livestream: "My wife is dancing around the living room right now").

They're multilingual and don't mind teaching a bit of Quechua now and then, so it's been educational.

So thanks to a snarky FB post on a miserable politicians's page, I found a musical group I absolutely love. The music cheers me up when I want to be cheered up, and relaxes me when I want to be relaxed. And the videos they shot in Ecuador shows some really spectacular scenery.
I guess there are 2 separate reasons for my shame:
  • I did not notice the drop in quality going from my music collection to youtube in the first instance. I am not that ashamed, as I have always considered myself whatever the opposite of an audiophile is.
  • You obvious profligacy of listening to a listening to a bit of music while downloading a video and not really watching it.
I do not think you can get away with bigging up a band like that without providing a link. And Happy Christmas.

I guess there are 2 separate reasons for my shame:
  • I did not notice the drop in quality going from my music collection to youtube in the first instance. I am not that ashamed, as I have always considered myself whatever the opposite of an audiophile is.
  • You obvious profligacy of listening to a listening to a bit of music while downloading a video and not really watching it.
I do not think you can get away with bigging up a band like that without providing a link. And Happy Christmas.
Hm. I grew up in the era of LPs, 8-tracks, and I still have my first cassette player. While pristine sound quality is nice, it's not critical to my enjoyment of a piece of music.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second bullet point.

I've been posting Wuauquikuna videos here and there for the past few months (see the Christmas thread - I posted their Silent Night and Feliz Navidad videos). I haven't posted any livestreams, because they're over an hour long and consist of 4-6 songs and the rest is talking to the viewers in a variety of languages - Spanish, English, Russian, Polish, and French. They're reading the comments as they come in, thanking the donors (these livestreams are basically online busking and some people donate), and answering various questions and comments that range from the songs played that day, other days, their merchandise, good wishes to their families (their parents, children, and nephews have appeared in some of the videos), and so on. The comments are also in a variety of languages, which has also been educational as I've learned some words and phrases I didn't know before.

Their music is mostly South American, but they also perform North American native music, as well as covers of popular music (ie. they've done some ABBA, Simon & Garfunkel, their version of "Hallelujah" is gorgeous, and so on).

Here are some of my favorites. The first was the one I stumbled on, and which blew me away and prompted me to check out more of their videos. It's the first time I ever heard a combination of panflute and quenacho (or knew what that was; I've since learned the names of some of their various instruments, and at the suggestion of one of their Australian fans, they've branched out to incorporate the didgeridoo into some pieces.

This is just a small sampling of the videos that I found. I'm 4 months behind in watching the livestreams (having been busy with moving, NaNoWriMo, or just stressed in general), but I plan to remedy that over the next little while. :)

The Sound of Silence

This particular video was done over a year ago, before they started doing weekly livestreams from their new studio and on location.

Some others (spoilered because although you asked for links, this isn't a video thread - these next two were shot on location in Ecuador, and "Mother Earth" features their mom and nephews; there are other videos in which their daughters appear):

Spoiler 500 YEARS AGO :

Spoiler MOTHER EARTH :

These next two were shot in Poland, doing some street busking. I have absolutely no idea what the lyrics mean; I just love the upbeat melody and tempos:

Spoiler Despacito :

Spoiler Kabra NAWY :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom