Timer dicussion

Yes, "fair" is objective. I wanted to hear how "fair" differs from "following the rules"? Do you think that the rules we have are unfair?

We all want fair play. Sarcastic for me is asking someone if he wants fair or if he wants some other judging.

Anyway, I know being administrator is thankless job.

What 2metra said up there, the three point plan, seems like a solution everyone in our team can be happy with.
I don't like it. It has us putting the one person we know would take the spot and end this discussion in fourth place, behind a dead r_rolo, a random "Hi!" PM to DaveMCW, and three or four "other" CFC admins.

Following the rules is the fairest thing to do in vast majority of cases. In case the rule forces totally unfair end result, I won't be shy on overruling.

edit. No need to make a big fuss from me using common sense IMO.

I know you like arguing around this fair play thing. I see no point in it. You see my offer. Now it is time to accept or deny. I can live very well with both alternatives, even if I belive I would be your best alternative by far. I've followed the game from the beginning and have some personal intrest to see it being succesful. I've also quite a bit of experience on long term civ playing. I've played and followed tens of PBEM and pitboss games in CFC and other sites.

Nobody is questioning your credentials. Sommerswerd asked for a specific case where you would make a ruling in the interests of fair play rather than by the rules. Obviously, if you think one of the rules is unfair, we should know now. Being all dramatic and saying we have to accept or deny your offer doesn't change Sommerswerd's original question, which I'm sure all of us would love to see answered. :)

Nobody is questioning your credentials. Sommerswerd asked for a specific case where you would make a ruling in the interests of fair play rather than by the rules. Obviously, if you think one of the rules is unfair, we should know now. Being all dramatic and saying we have to accept or deny your offer doesn't change Sommerswerd's original question, which I'm sure all of us would love to see answered. :)

well I have to agree on this one...

I too have a feeling plako has something very specific on mind already (could be my lack of english skillz though, but the wording seems to suggest there already is something in the ruling you don't like).

Could be just reference to shady areas, not sure...

Or it could be his general admin philosophy. He doesn't want to lock himself in a promise. That way if an unforeseen situation comes up he doesn't have to break his word.

You overthink this. I don't have any specific rule in mind and I don't want to use my time to invent an artificial scenario.

You overthink this. I don't have any specific rule in mind

That is actually enough for me. Because until now you were sounding like you have specific things in mind you plan to change/enforce once you are appointed as admin. :)

Yeah. I think Plako's aswers are OK too, and would vote for him as admin. But I do respect those with objections. With Plako's latest answer's I think we've explored the options. For starters I would poll just for the two binary alternatives "Plako as admin" or "Explore other opportunities" - if there's a majority for then we move quickly, if the majority is against, then we at least give Plako a straight answer.

Sounds ok?

Our allies CP have confirmed their support for Plako as admin so now it's just us and WPC who haven't commented. If we need to vote internally, we should do that soon. But my hunch is that the other teams who have all supported Plako would not appreciate us throwing new options into the mix at this point. If we were going to suggest someone else as admin, we should have done so at the very beginning of the discussion, not with 7/9 teams all already in agreement behind one solution.

But my hunch is that the other teams who have all supported Plako would not appreciate us throwing new options into the mix at this point. If we were going to suggest someone else as admin, we should have done so at the very beginning of the discussion, not with 7/9 teams all already in agreement behind one solution.
Agreed.

As evidenced by my earlier posts, I am in favor.

First of all, I will bet 5 beers per team (except RB) that the other teams are unaware that Plako is not willing to commit to follow the rules as written. So their "support" is irrelevant because it is un-informed support.
my hunch is that the other teams who have all supported Plako would not appreciate us throwing new options into the mix at this point. If we were going to suggest someone else as admin, we should have done so at the very beginning of the discussion, not with 7/9 teams all already in agreement behind one solution.
That seems to contradict when you said this:
We must be able to separate what's happening in game, with what's happening out of game. Just like the Spaniards attacking us did not make us think they are bad people
What I mean is when I was arguing that us suggesting Plako would piss off our allies you said "Nah, they should be able to separate their feelings about what we say/do out-of-game from how they treat us in-game"... OK... but now you are making the opposite argument... You are essentially implying that we will piss off the other teams towards us if we don't go along with the approval of Plako.

And I am not singling you out here Yossa, I think a few others have done the same here (and in other situations)... As in when I was arguing we would piss off allies and effect their in-game treatment of us, they said "That's silly, it's a metagame issue"... But now they are saying "We better not buck the majority of teams here, we might piss them off towards us in-game"

To be clear, I am generally in the camp of "Out of game actions influence in-game behavior (including this situation which is why I preferred staying silent as I have already said)" but I am consistent on this point. I don't switch my opinion based on what serves my desired course of action at the moment. I just wanted to point that out to folks because sometimes people engage in these kind of self-serving mental "flip-flops":p without even realizing it. I do it myself sometimes.

Anyway, my primary objection at this point is the "I wont promise to follow all the rules" thing. I am hopeful that the self-preservation instinct of the other teams will override the irritation they feel towards us for not approving Plako at this time.
I would want to make sure that Plako is committed to making decisions based on the rules as written, especially if there is a rule that was agreed to by the majority of the teams that Plako thinks is an unfair rule. Obviously we don't want a situation where a legal move like a "Change Civics" spy mission is declared "unfair" by the admin and disallowed.
Well I asked about that, and he refused to give any examples, and it seems like you guys just sort of backed down and said "Oh OK well I guess that's fine.":confused: What gives? Are we just so desperate to have someone with a sheriff badge right away?
I believe that the wording is just due to Plako's first language not being english, and he would follow the rules as we agreed to them, but I would want clarification from Plako before actually proposing to make him admin.
We never got that clarification BTW. All we got was a "Here's my offer, take it or leave it... and "I can't be bothered to give an example." Plako still has not committed to follow the rules as written. So are you (everyone, not just Yossa:)) just going to let that slide or what? Are you now changing your position and OK with supporting Plako as admin with no clarification from him? Is it too much to ask that we at least try (as 2metra suggested) to find an admin that will follow the rules as written? The game is not being held up right now, so there is plenty of time to look for someone else.

I am speculating that all the other teams that are supporting Plako (with the exception of RB) are totally unaware that he has stated that he will not follow the rules when he chooses.

BTW, as I have already said, I will accept the ultimate majority decision but one of the reasons I keep commenting is
A lot of the time, I think that a lack of comments does mean that the "silent" team members generally agree.
I agree with this sentiment, generally. Which is why I am not just letting this go;)

I have an idea. Why don't we ask Dave MCW and some of the other CFC admins? If they say yes, great. We can propose that to the others. If some gamebreaking situation comes up in the meantime we can always just support Plako provisionally. As many have already said, including Plako himself, he is around and is not going anywhere. We can always put him in as emergency admin if an issue comes up. What's wrong with that?

Top Bottom