Tips for Prince?

nzk13

Some Jew-boy on Noble.
Hi! As you could tell from the little text-box-thingy under my avatar, I normally play on noble. I tried a couple of games with prince (as augustus caesar, i think his traits with the praetorian makes him the best leader in the game, and 2 or 3 games as gandhi (on pangaea and continents) and the tactics that worked superbly on Noble caused me to fail miserably here. My main tactic was: start with worker, find enemy, rush with chariot/axemen (depending on whether I have copper or horse in my lands (I usually have one or the other), run over 1 or maybe 2 enemy civs. Then I stay mostly peacefully (if playing as augustus, i go on another rampage in the praetorian era, as gandhi stayed peaceful), teching toward space race victory, which I win at around 1800-1900 ad (sometimes I win conquest or domination on maps smaller than standard). Problem with doing that on Prince is, the AI defends his cities much better, so I can't steamroll 'em like back on Noble. And I'm not generally an early peaceful expansion type of guy. My first city (other than my capital) is almost always someone else's capital. Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong and tell me what I can do to play well?

On prince it is typically better to rush with two cities since you can get much better production that way. SO going second worker first settler before you start to crush the AI would be a more solid choice overall imo.

Also the AI may defend better but it is still crap overall. You should be able to smash him to bits soon enough. Try to chop and whip those units out for enough speed though. When there is enough land to settle peacefully try to go for that instead, since you can always get ahead and strike when catapults are there.

If you want more specific advice, please post us a short description of an actual game, some screenshots and ask for specific advice. If you could provide a save and tell us what mods you run that would eb superb. Tell us how you think you should proceed and we will be more than happy to tell you into fine detail what we think of your plan and what we would do.

thanks, i played a game with your advice in mind and i won conquest with Augustus Caesar (playing as Augustus Caesar)!

You played and completed a game in 15 minutes after getting the advice? Even TMIT couldn't play a game that fast, I don't think.

In all seriousness though, on prince, you should still be able to even warrior rush if you want - no need to even bother with a worker. On epic, for sure, and even on normal if an opponent is somewhat close.

If you are waiting for chariots or axes, make sure you bring enough to the party, which usually means two cities is better. Worker, then growing a bit, then chopping a settler is usually enough to get you there pretty fast. You often need that second city to claim the strategic resource too. Whip and chop out those units, and you should have no problem taking the nearest AI.

Top Bottom