TNESII: Et In Arcadia Ego

I want my money back for those answers. Orders coming in the next hour.

So I assume i've been approved?

That's fine. I won't be angry if they're in at any point tonight.

I'll only be slightly disapproving towards people if they're in tomorrow, since I'm spending the whole day on finals. But I'm leaving for Delaware on Friday. I may or may not have internet, so I'll be working on the update offline. So if your orders aren't in by tomorrow night, consider yourself royally screwed.

Thlayli I spent last night playing until 4 am beating Ass Creed instead of writing orders so they'll be in tomorrow night.

I'M SURE YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND

Workmen that were supposed to remove a very large, very old tree from the house in which I am staying this week knocked out our Internet, phone, and cable service in the process; it has not yet been repaired, so I had to acquire other means of using the internet. Orders to be in soon, if rushed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I am exhausted and soon to go to bed. I will try to send again before I do so, but you can hardly hold me responsible for not sending if your Inbox is full.

Apologies. The box will be cleared in a second. I thought more than a 10-PM leeway would be enough...I was wrong.

I'll keep taking orders tonight and tomorrow. Consider it my gift to you. :p

For Meritorious Order Sending Conduct in Extreme Adversity, I award Dachs the NESer Order of Merit, 3rd Class.

Huzzah! Orders are now sent, and I can finally needlessly increase my postcount!

I am traveling to England for two weeks (and since I'm a minor minor power) please NPC me these next two weeks. Though, if you even manage to update in that span, I'll be surprised.

Alright, I have most of the relevant orders. Update work has begun. Most likely I'll work on it a little this weekend, a bit on vacation, and post it around a week from today.

Quite a bit of conflict expansion/continuation, and a few new conflicts, with some old ones resolved. Also, continued modernization, reform attempts and associated consequences. I'll be trying to get slightly more in depth this turn, both politically and on the campaign scale.

Those who have sent me orders of battle, thank you very much.

For those who have not and are interested, an order of battle generally lists major corps/armies, their locations, strengths, (in divisions please) and their commanders. Tactical plans and contingincies are considered separate from this. Micromanagement not necessary. :p

Orders of battle I receive are archived for further perusal.

I'm back from my hiatus, but I see that Italy had been taken over. I won't protest, as disappearing I lost my right to play as Italy (at least for now) so I choose another nation after this update.

St. George Museum of Arcadian History: Historical Documents Exhibit

January 3, 1901

My Dearest Christina,

As our pace through this dark wilderness quickens with every passing day, this may be the very last letter that I may write as God allows and wills it. Should He not allow my hand to write you again, I feel compelled to speak soft words unto your lips most beautiful until the night reaches pitch black and I can steady my hand no more.

As we move through westward to the shining sea that Providence has given mandate for ours to deliver, our steps may blaze with triumphant glory or be laced with the infernal tyranny of tragedy. But this is not my will to decide in the coming days, but our God’s. And should I fall for what is dearly ours, that is a sacrifice that I will gladly make. I am ready to surrender before the dark embrace of Death should that be His will, and my courage before the treacheries that are yet to come shall not falter. For when I look upon enemies great and many, I know that I have come to pay a debt for my fathers and forefathers before me, that held the line for so many a time even when all hope was lost, when their bastions were surrounded and their supplies cut, that fought and swore to take ten Franks to their grave with them. I know that it is only our nation, and the gift of civilization bestowed upon it by our Lord, that may return the scattered and despairing lands back to the fold of His light. And now when our country has returned to avenge our forefathers and return to our King what was taken, I will gladly surrender my life for them.

But I know, my dear love, that by fulfilling my compact and securing in honor my joys, I know that I wreak yours, and replace them in this life that God gave with only sorrow and tears, bringing worry and sorrow into your heart and that of our children. I know that by abiding to this greater creed, fierce and noble, I have cast it into struggle with another, my boundless love for you and what we in have brought into this world with His grace.

I have sought in my heart and soul for the wrongness in motive, weakness or dishonor, as I thrust into danger the happiness of those I have loved, and I return without one to bear. For the love of my country and its purest principles have been called upon by Him, and I have only by unfaltering obedience to command.

But fear not, Christina, for my love for you is unbroken by the chains that cast down our lot on this mortal plane. It binds me to you with points of light, that only his divine He may provide, and will last forever past even the end of days. As I write to you on this night blessed without the light of stars, I know that I only need your light to inflame my soul. The moments that He had such generosity to allow me to share with You fill me with the most ethereal of happiness, and give assurance to my heart that I have done right on this earth. I know I have but few and humble prayers to offer before the might of our God, but those that do whisper my name, perhaps our little sons, could deliver me from the battlefield without harm. But should I fall before the dark legion that opposes our will, never forget how much I have loved and will always love you, and as I draw breath for the last time, my feeble lips will whisper your name.

Forgive all the thoughtless and selfish things I have done, and all the pain that I have caused you in whatever recklessness I have so pursued. If I could only have the opportunity to come down from heaven and wash away any ill that troubles you, to struggle with all the evil and darkness that plagues the world to shield you and our children from harm. But the laws of Providence bid me not, and so I must watch you struggle against them with our children and wait with sad longing until the stars can part us no more.

Tell my boys that while I may have fallen for them to free the land of chains wracked long ago, I will watch over them as I will you. I know the unfaltering ability of your maternal power, and know that it will bring little George and Jeremiah to manhood with the utmost care and development in their characters.

Christina, if I have but one wish, it shall be that you will not mourn me dead, only think I have gone and you will wait for me through the travails of life, for we shall meet again.

Alexander

Lieutenant Alexander Stevens of the First Cavalry was killed near Redding scouting in a skirmish with Federationist forces.

OOC: This story seems a bit sub-par to me. I don't know if that's because I generally dislike my own work, or if this is genuinely a crappy story. Never the less, I wrote it, so I shall now posted it and force Thlayli to read it :p

Li toiled in his field, much like he did yesterday, and the day before that. He was a simple subsistence farmer, providing for his family. He cared not for the news of wars, “Western devils”, or any other gossip he occasionally heard. He was content to live in his small home, living in peace like his ancestors before him. But as every trip to a nearby marketplace revealed, more and more farms were getting raided by barbarian forces. News buzzed about Uighers, or even Manchu horsemen ravaging farmlands and slaughtering families. While Li didn’t care for the war, he did care for his family’s well being.

After a hard day’s work, he headed back towards his home. Halfway to his destination, he heard a loud scream. The scream of his wife. His tired limbs were suddenly filled with new energy, his legs moving him faster than he thought possible. Within what felt like seconds he was at his home, greeted by a most horrifying sight.

His wife and two sons were lined up against the wall, 3 men with rifles aiming right at them. He could hear more of them rummaging through his home, and even more were running past him towards the crops. Many paid no head to him, not even bothering to glance at him. He saw only hunger in their eyes as they sprinted towards any sign of food, like ants at a picnic.

Finally, one of them, obviously an officer or some other higher rank than the others pointed at Li. He shouted to his subordinates and they quickly seized Li after a brief struggle. He was blind folded and his hands were bound behind his back. He was shoved against a wall, and from the whimpers near him he could tell he was next to his family. He tried to speak and comfort his family, but one of the men guarding him quickly silenced him with a punch in the face. Blood slowly dripped out of his nose as he prayed to his ancestors for the salvation of his family.

He heard the leader of the brutes give a shout, and immediately he heard the sound of guns being raised and aimed. This was it. His ancestors had failed him. Li and his entire family were going to die, slaughtered like animals against their own home.

“Fire!”

Li’s ears wear it with a chorus of bangs and booms. It was as if a thunderstorm had formed in the time that he was captured. Above the chaotic racket, Li could hear his family’s foot steps. They were escaping! Li followed, trying his hardest to block out the noises behind him so he could keep up. Eventually the footsteps stopped and his blindfold was removed. He could see that his family had managed to get to the other side of the house undetected.

“What happened out there?” Li asked.

“I’m not sure. Those men were about to execute us when they started getting shot at.” His wife replied.

His two sons sat on the ground, still crying. Li hugged them, trying to comfort and calm them. The smaller of the two wiped away the blood from under his father’s nose with his sleeve. Li thanked him, and reassured his family that he was fine. Broken nose or not, he was reunited with his family, and that’s all that mattered.

That was, until he found himself surrounded by more armed men.

They looked different from the men from before. They looked almost friendly, except for the fact that they had taken aim at his family. His weary eyes scanned one of the men standing before him. He was carrying a rather odd looking gun, one different then any other he had seen before. A saber hung at his side, something that puzzled Li. He didn’t really look like a western devil to him. No, he couldn’t be. Li spotted the emblem of the White Lotus on his uniform, and he spotted it branded on his arm. These were Xin Ming troops.

“Hold your fire men!” The strange man said. “These are not traitors, Manchu, or Uighers, just some farmers. Leave one or two men here to guard them. The rest of you, move around back and kill any survivors. They have not shown us any mercy, and we will not show them any.”

Li’s family sat huddled together as they heard screams come from the other side of the house. The sound of steel cutting into flesh could be heard, and screams soon turned into gurgles, which then turned into silence. After hours of sitting down under the watch of the guards, the officer returned, wiping his saber on a piece of cloth. The once white cloth turned red with a single wipe.

“Well, I’ve got my men cleaning up the mess we made back there. Sorry about that.” The man said to Li’s family.

“What is your name sir?” Li asked. “We owe you our lives for saving us!”

“I am Gung Shui, commander of the Flying Pigs![1]” The man shouted, causing a chorus of shouting and cheering by nearby soldiers. “We have been tracking that raiding party for weeks now. I am glad we have finally stopped them after all this time. You and your family can stay with me and my men tonight. We need to…umm….clean up your house and the surrounding area a bit. It’s a little messy. Thank the Emperor we didn’t end up bringing our cannons with us or things could have been much worse.”

Li seemed confused, but still nodded and followed Gung to his headquarters, which were all that far away. Treated as honored guests, Li and his family got to eat a healthy meal before being sent to bed. While lying in bed, Li thought about the war. In just one day he had went from living in peace to having his family almost wiped off the face of the earth. It was all because of the war. Perhaps it was time to do something about the war. Maybe it was time to take action.

Top Bottom