1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TNESII: Et In Arcadia Ego

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Thlayli, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Kal'thzar

Kal'thzar Deity

To: The Kingdom of Arcadia

No Nation seeks to have itself annexed by another, unless its political system has been abused mightly. And to call the recent 'elections' fair and balanced is to lie to oneself.

You are a man of honour and care for such things, and to support Bullworth who has walked in with a band of Arcadian vagabounds and men of ill repute is to imply otherwise, that you care more about nakedly expanding your own power is embarrassing and as you may know often leads to others intervening to stop you.

2. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

To: The Australians

Yet again we are met with irony, as you blind your rhetoric in willful ignorance while accusing us of doing so. For while free and separate peoples, perhaps like the Imperials and Arcadians, may establish their own structures of state with respect to one another, Arcadia and New Albion are mother and child, only the child has been ripped asunder from her hearth by machinations of powers terrible and foreign. And look where that has led her, to anarchy and disarray, with institutions of law and virtue few and corrupted. Now the child runs back to her safe haven, and our noble Bullworth seeks to redeem the natural order, and return New Albion to the codes of her ancestors, and return the prosperity that Saint George so fought for Christ to her flock.

If the bastard children across the ocean who have no inclination of return choose not to recognise this, so be it. The corrupted and turncoat beyond repair will be slain by the sword of the lion.

3. Azale

Azale Deity

The Union supports the Arcadian position in the New Albion conflict.

4. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Monsieur Panda, I already made the correct income increases, and your trade, temporarily cut back, will most likely gain another point after this turn.

5. Insane_Panda

Insane_Panda Deity

But you forgot the fact that I also raised taxation, which should give me some more additional revenue. The revenue increases you put down were solely through expansion via industry.

6. Ninja Dude

Ninja Dude Sorry, I wasn't listening...

To: The World

I have decided, in my infinite wisdom and generosity, to recognize the Kingdom of Arcadia as the rightful successor to the British Crown, and thus the rightful owners of all of the British Crown's old possessions. This includes but is not limited to New Albion and other North American holdings, the British Isles, and Australia. May All Under Heaven rejoice at this news. In one fell swoop I have solved this dispute with ease. Praise is not necessary.

OOC: Thlayli, could you give me some info about my government. How is it organized, who is in it, and basically everything important about it.

7. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

I didn't forget it. Increases in taxation typically take time (more than 1 year) to result in increased revenue, and it's dependent on what you're taxing. Where would you propose that I give you more revenue?

8. Insane_Panda

Insane_Panda Deity

I didn't know that it would take more than a year to go into effect. Otherwise, the stats look great.

9. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

D'accord. Stat corrections have been made to Australia and Japan.

10. Agent 89

Agent 89 King

Orders sented. :D

11. alex994

alex994 Hail Divine Emperor!

For Want of Much

“But for the stroke of a sword, one Polanian state might have stretched from Novgorod to Constantinople. But for a woman, a Polanian state might now exist from the lands of Tver and Chernigov to the lands of the distant Qing: a country that might have rivaled and perhaps even surpass Germany or Arcadia. A Russia.” –Chernigovian novelist, Burian Alliluyeva

For a man of his distinct military heritage, he had never felt out of place amongst his fellow soldiers. To be a Bekhuzov in the military was much akin to a great whale in the ocean; it was their natural environment. Yet this character trait of the Chernigovian military which he cherished was one of the aspects which he had been tasked to expunge from the army. There was no place for aristocratic pretensions to come into play with the Tverian military juggernaut bearing down upon Chernigov. Unfortunately, that might not exactly bear the same urgency upon his comrades.

“Fellow lords, it is not with little alarm that I sense changes within the command structure of the Chernigovian High Command. While it is highly possible that those not born of noble birth do indeed have great skills, it cannot be said that they possess a great deal of marital ability. Indeed, these self-made men have found great success in the civilian spheres of life: our Prime Minister himself was born of a rank only barely above that of commoner, and many men born with nothing now dominate the various industries.

Of course, I am not saying that those of non-noble birth cannot show military skill. I speak for many when I say that those of noble blood are better suited at the arts of war. Noble blood should thus be an asset; those of nobility should advance higher in the ranks than those not of noble blood. It is our birthright. The suggestion of the Grand Prince, well-intended as it is and excellent in the ideological field, has little practical military merit. Although I am sure our excellent Marshal Bekhuzov will have a different opinion.”

He smiled at General Nikitin. Aristocratic and blue-blooded, Nikitin was undoubtedly a most superbly competent general. His skills laid not so much upon the actual strategies or the tactics, but the sheer logistical and organizational ability he possessed. It was not with a scent of irony that he noted that the most ardent defender of aristocratic privilege within the standard military be someone who was not even a member of the standard military.

“If my memory serves me correctly, which I doubt considering my already old, infirm and hopelessly confused mind” at this, chuckles broke out among those gathered, many of whom were significantly older than he was, “you, General Nikitin, received your position mostly based on merit, or was that not the case?”

With no response from the otherwise still young man, he continued on what he hoped would not be a long-winded speech.

“There is no doubt that geniuses produced from excellent noble blood and pedigrees are the finest work of our Benevolent God. Yet that ideal often falls short, and instead of noble blood uplifting the worthy, it has become a mechanism for which many are crushed under. That is unacceptable. Out of all the major modern industrial powers of the world, only Chernigov retains such a hopeless nostalgic attitude towards our nobility. If we do not govern ourselves, we invite the further governance of the military by our civilian counterparts.

It is preferable that the General Staff change before the Reichstag changes us.”

*****************************​

The Orient.

With beautiful tiled terraces, the city glistened under the sunlight. Beijing was a city not at all in the twentieth century. And perhaps that was fitting, as it was the seat of an oriental Emperor. As a city, it was perhaps the most well-fortified city he had ever seen. Chernigov, as well as most European nations, had long given up fortifying large urban areas. That was not the case with Beijing.

Sprawling defensive city walls surrounded the city on all sides, equaling up to tens of kilometers long if not longer. These massive city walls were only reinforced by a series of towers, all bristling with modern cannons. Outside of the city walls were a series of military encampments intended to protect Beijing.

Looking at his guide, he could do little but grimace. The march to the front would not at all be pleasant, but at least he was not too inconspicuous. After all, he was a Turk Buddhist subject of the Grand Prince of Chernigov. His task was simple. To write and to be published.

It was after all, the greatest war of the Twentieth Century.

12. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Nice story, though that 'Russia' idea is certainly relegated to the realm of alternate history by most serious writers.

13. alex994

alex994 Hail Divine Emperor!

OOC: Thus a novelist :p

14. Shadowbound

Shadowbound Incorrugible

OOC: Alex brought the idea up first, not me, for the record.

15. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Sadly I think I cannot give this NES the attention it deserves. Dropping out :(

16. Kal'thzar

Kal'thzar Deity

Tired, Dazed and Rich​

First Minister Buford Haversley rubbed his forehead, he was halfway through his term, and he had overseen an expansion of the economy, but as always one could never be sure if that had been because of his policies or if he had simply slowed down the growth of the economy. Still the newspapers reported growth, and he took the credit, which would also mean he would take the blame if the economy took a nosedive.

And now New Albion had blown up, a succesfull conclusion to which would no doubt bouy him into another 5 years of office. Failure would compel him to resign and call for a new Election.

And he had yet to touch some of his major political policies, He wanted to intergrate New Yorkshire into the Confederation, but it still lacked some of the required population and infrastructure before others would seriously consider it, and the war was driving funds elsewhere. His opponents kept trying to get some form of electoral reform through and it was taking a great deal of time to parry these thrusts.

And the East Asia conflict was rapidly getting worse, He Could sense the parties meddling in it rather than knowing who or what, or indeed the convoluted reasons why. His Foreign Secratary sent him reports everyday of both the East Asian and the New Albion situation. And the generals were paying particular attention to the whole ordeal, all rather clinical, which just made Bufords Headache worse.

And of course his Chancellor kept informing them how much money they were making off the war.

17. Shadowbound

Shadowbound Incorrugible

Thlayli, I need that PM answered before I can send orders.

18. conehead234

conehead234 Braves on the Warpath

Hey Thlayli,

My orders may be slightly late, in around 6 PM.

19. Supermath

Supermath A Circle Has No End

Yeah, I'm going to have to say the same thing.

20. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Désolé.

Orders, orders, please get them in.

I'll answer outstanding questions now.