TNT1 : Monarch, custom continents, PP or PW

I'm worried about the scores of our enemies at the other continents.
Remember, only Augustus Caesar and Bismarck are at permanent war
with each other. All other relations between Gandhi, Ragnar, Augustus
Caesar and Bismarck are permanent peace.

Random roster :
Immaculate
Tatran
The Sansman

Played:
GreyFox
negyvenketto

500AD-650AD

Inherited Turn
Could use a few workers but we might get that from the French. I like the scientist push.
I push enter.
We lose the galley that was next to the trireme right away. What I don’t understand is that the galley didn’t have any movement, so it must have just moved to that square, and yet the enemy trireme is there, so why did it get moved there? There’s no food bonus tile on that square. I’m not complaining, I just don’t understand. Not much I can do about it though…. So we lost our means of reinforcing our attack on Paris.

Buids
First things first, whip a galley in Kumbi Saleh so we can resume ferrying troops to Paris.
Our capital completes its mint and we set work to a trireme.
I think Paris ;) should build a library so we can start using it to generate great people properly. As someone suggested, we should make IT our GP generating city.

War
I ferry some troops that were exploring French cities to Paris. The French soon launch a second trireme.

Soon it is time to take Paris itself. It is a joint landed and amphibious attack from three directions (i pulled troops from Lyons). Truly the French will pay…

First…
A catapult withdraws.
Then…
A catapult kills an archer.
After…
A swordsman kills an archer.
And then…
A swordsmen kills an archer.
This is gripping…
We lose a swordsman to an archer despite 94.8% chances.
Are we cursed, can we defeat the villainous French? What will happen??? Ah look... who must we face but the great Oliver Cromwell and his band of merry archers…

Our righteous axeman are ready for the task and defeats the enemy general.
Our next axeman also defeats the archers before him.
A swordsman attacking from the galley off the coast loses to a spearman and the same spearman is finally defeated by a skirmisher…
Lastly…
An amphibious attack by a skirmisher results in the annexing of Paris. We get a granary and the Great Lighthouse. Two nearly French cities are coastal… one has marble… Our forces are healing in Paris and have both roads and a nearby galley that could be used to attack either city.

Economy
With the money won from Paris I set research to 100%. The great lighthouse should help a bit too.

Great People
We got a great scientist.

I save him. I talked about what I think we should do with great people in my last post but it really depends if we want to detour for alphabet and calendar or just push through machinery to get optics…
Alternatively, it’s the 600ADs and Taoism hasn’t been founded yet.
I keep working two scientists. Our research isn’t very good yet and these great people are a real boon since we can’t trade.

Foreign Powers
A great general is born to the Mongols.

Can you find the save?

Comments on the Great Scientist.
1) Academy in Timbuktu -> immediate benefit, about 15:science: per turn.

2) Save him for 40 turns?, until we got Alphabet and Calendar to lightbulb Machinery.

3) Save him for Philosophy. Alphabet + Drama + Mysticism + Meditation required.

I think we should try option number 3. There are dyes in Mongol territory,
so we'll get 1 extra happy face from the theatre. If we don't succeed we
can switch back to option number 2.

Genghis has too many happy resources around his capital we don't have.
After we razed Lyons, Karakorum would be a logical target.

Random roster :
Tatran
The Sansman

Played:
GreyFox
negyvenketto
Immaculate

500AD-650AD

Inherited Turn
We lose the galley that was next to the trireme right away. What I don’t understand is that the galley didn’t have any movement, so it must have just moved to that square, and yet the enemy trireme is there, so why did it get moved there? There’s no food bonus tile on that square. I’m not complaining, I just don’t understand. Not much I can do about it though…. So we lost our means of reinforcing our attack on Paris.
Both of our triremes were way too far & I feared they destroy our nets. I couldn't hide the galley in safe harbour just use it to attract the trireme away from the nets. So it was a sacrifice, sorry I didn't explain it before.

I support to go for the academy, too.

Pre-turn
Use the Great Scientist for the academy in Timbuktu.

695 AD (3)
Compass is known, start to research Machinery.

740 AD (6)
Waste a trireme, no damage for the French trireme.

IBT 860 AD
The Vikings have built Chichen Itza.

OK I got it and will play.

I have opened the game save and I have a few questions:

1. A bunch of troops are sitting out side of Lyons, I know that we discussed razing Lyons but I would like to confirm.
  2. I think after Lyons falls we should take Rheims, which I hope to start on my turn set.
  3. If we get a Great General what should we do with him?
  4. After Machinery go for Optics?

Definately optics. If the GP rate is fast enough, see if you can reseach something else and use a great scientist for optics instead. GP generation rate will probably be too slow though in which case you should just self-research optics.

During my turns the next Great Scientist will pop-up in 48 turns.
Researching Optics will go faster.

We lack happiness resources, capturing Genghis' capital will solve that problem.
Also, it looks he has hooked up the ivory. With war elephants we can easily clean our continent.

Turn 0

Look around

IBT

French Trireme shows up beside ours near Timbuktu.

Turn 1

I attack the Trireme in hopes to weaken it enough for a second to take it out. Continue bombardment of Lyons, down to 17%. Move Chariot and Skirmisher to see Orleans.

IBT

Turn 2

Trireme finishes and gets sent to attack French sitting out beyond the nets. Start another and whip it to make sure it goes down. Continue bombardment of Lyons, down to 6%

IBT

Another Trireme appears north of Orleans. I think the French have built more cities up north. Well I intent to find out.

Turn 3

Attack the wounded Trireme and win. Send the free unwounded Triremes over to Rheims to destroy the Trireme there. Continue bombardment of Lyons, down to 0%. Attack with Second catapult and lose. Pillage the quarry near Orleans.

IBT

A Galley comes out of Orleans, empty.

Turn 4

Pillage the Camp outside of Orleans. The Catapult attacks and further weakens the city defenses as it dies. The three Swordsmen attack and kill an archer each the third one gains us a Great General :D . The Axeman attacks and kills yet another archer leaving three. Add Great General to Timbuktu to get level 2 troops (I hope this is acceptable to everyone).

IBT

Turn 5

There is are only two archers now, Genghis must be attacking. Kill the last archers and raze the city. I think the Swordsman will not survive the Archers.

IBT

Genghis’ Archer kills our Swordsman.

Turn 6

Axeman kills Archer.

IBT

Turn 7

I promote the Axeman and tried to kill the Archer, unfortunately the Archer wins.

Turn 14

Started the Colossus in Timbuktu (I think this was an agreed task).

Turn 15

Kill a French Archer with Defender from Kumbi Saleh next player please move back to city.

Spoiler :
Turn 225/660 (875 AD) [10-Feb-2007 18:06:20]
Djenne finishes: Mint

IBT:

Turn 226/660 (890 AD) [10-Feb-2007 18:25:48]
Djenne begins: Catapult (8 turns)
While attacking in Malinese territory near Timbuktu, Trireme loses to: French Trireme (1.24/2) (Prob Victory: 32.2%)
Timbuktu finishes: Trireme
Kumbi Saleh grows: 4

IBT:

Turn 227/660 (905 AD) [10-Feb-2007 18:33:50]
Timbuktu begins: Trireme (5 turns)
A Village was built near Paris

IBT:

Turn 228/660 (920 AD) [10-Feb-2007 18:38:39]
Timbuktu begins: Trireme (7 turns)
While attacking in Malinese territory near Timbuktu, Trireme defeats (0.32/2): French Trireme (Prob Victory: 48.3%)
Catapult promoted: Barrage I
While attacking in French territory at Lyons, Catapult loses to: French Archer (3.00/3) (Prob Victory: 15.8%)
A Quarry near Orleans was destroyed by Malinese Chariot
A Hamlet was built near Djenne

IBT:

Turn 229/660 (935 AD) [10-Feb-2007 18:50:08]
A Camp near Orleans was destroyed by Malinese Chariot
Trireme promoted: Combat I
While attacking in French territory at Lyons, Catapult loses to: French Archer (1.47/3) (Prob Victory: 15.8%)
While attacking in French territory at Lyons, Swordsman defeats (4.32/6): French Archer (Prob Victory: 98.9%)
While attacking in French territory at Lyons, Swordsman defeats (4.20/6): French Archer (Prob Victory: 96.8%)
Jeanne d'Arc (Great General) born in Timbuktu
While attacking in French territory at Lyons, Swordsman defeats (3.30/6): French Archer (Prob Victory: 96.8%)
While attacking in French territory at Lyons, Axeman defeats (3.20/5): French Archer (Prob Victory: 67.2%)
Paris grows: 4

Turn 229/660 (935 AD) [11-Feb-2007 08:46:52]

IBT:

Turn 230/660 (950 AD) [11-Feb-2007 08:47:55]
While attacking in French territory at Lyons, Swordsman defeats (0.90/6): French Archer (Prob Victory: 48.2%)
While attacking in French territory at Lyons, Swordsman defeats (2.40/6): French Archer (Prob Victory: 79.7%)
Captured Lyons (Napoleon)
Razed Lyons
Lyons lost
Timbuktu grows: 6

IBT:
While defending in the wild near Karakorum, Swordsman loses to: Mongolian Archer (1.02/3) (Prob Victory: 8.0%)

Turn 231/660 (965 AD) [11-Feb-2007 08:54:04]
While attacking in the wild, Axeman defeats (4.20/5): Mongolian Archer (Prob Victory: 100.0%)

IBT:
Attitude Change: Mehmed II(Ottomans) towards Augustus Caesar(Rome), from 'Furious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 232/660 (980 AD) [11-Feb-2007 08:56:28]
Axeman promoted: Medic II
While attacking in Mongolian territory near Karakorum, Axeman loses to: Mongolian Archer (0.78/3) (Prob Victory: 71.8%)
Tech learned: Machinery

IBT:

Turn 233/660 (995 AD) [11-Feb-2007 08:59:37]
Research begun: Optics (23 Turns)
Timbuktu begins: Crossbowman (6 turns)
While attacking just off shore near Paris, Trireme defeats (0.80/2): French Trireme (Prob Victory: 32.2%)
Djenne finishes: Catapult

IBT:

Turn 234/660 (1010 AD) [11-Feb-2007 09:02:01]
Djenne begins: Catapult (8 turns)
Trireme promoted: Drill I

IBT:
While defending in the wild near New Sarai, Chariot loses to: Barbarian Archer (0.84/3) (Prob Victory: 86.5%)

Turn 235/660 (1025 AD) [11-Feb-2007 09:03:12]
Trireme promoted: Drill I
A Mine was built near Paris
Kumbi Saleh finishes: Lighthouse
Paris finishes: Library

IBT:
Attitude Change: Mehmed II(Ottomans) towards Augustus Caesar(Rome), from 'Annoyed' to 'Furious'

Turn 236/660 (1040 AD) [11-Feb-2007 09:07:41]
Paris begins: Mint (30 turns)
A Hamlet was built near Kumbi Saleh

IBT:

Turn 237/660 (1055 AD) [11-Feb-2007 09:08:20]
Timbuktu finishes: Crossbowman
Paris grows: 3

IBT:

Turn 238/660 (1070 AD) [11-Feb-2007 09:08:56]
Timbuktu begins: The Colossus (12 turns)
Skirmisher promoted: Combat I
Kumbi Saleh grows: 5

IBT:

Turn 239/660 (1085 AD) [11-Feb-2007 09:10:43]

IBT:
While defending in Mongolian territory at Beshbalik, Skirmisher loses to: Mongolian Axeman (4.15/5) (Prob Victory: 30.8%)
Attitude Change: Mehmed II(Ottomans) towards Augustus Caesar(Rome), from 'Furious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 240/660 (1100 AD) [11-Feb-2007 09:11:25]
While attacking in Malinese territory near Rheims, Axeman defeats (0.10/5): French Archer (Prob Victory: 98.3%)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/108795/TNT1_AD-1100.CivWarlordsSave

I apologize about the some what rushed report, something came up when I was going to play and I overslept the next morning, thus I had to rush the game and report.

We should send out some pillagers into Mongol territory.
Genghis has iron mined. Most AI cities are ugly placed,
on resources or the gaps are too big. I won't mind to keep
on razing except Karakorum.

Random roster :
GreyFox
negyvenketto
Immaculate
Tatran
The Sansman

I had sent the Skirmisher and Chariot into Mongolian territory to hopefully find their Metals and to pillage them. Both got killed due to all the Axemen running around. I think we will need to create some teams of Crossbows to go into Mongolian territory and take control of the metals before we can take Karakorum.

BTW: I added some pictures to my report.

A quiet 1st half of my turnsets. MM'ed cities to grow or stagnant based on their happiness situation. Learnt Optics, headed for Curency to further improve our economy.

War wise nothing much of note, I am marshalling our swords and cats to assemble outside Rheims. Except maybe a chariot playing hide and seek with a barbarian sword:

The sword disappears when a new crossbow is produced in Djeane, and was not heard from again.

Then, the year 1166AD, a furry of activities occurs. First the Colossus was built:

Someone is telling us we are not even listed on largest Civs placings:

Well, we may not be large, but we are making France smaller:

Lost only one cat, but my first sacrificial CR2 sword actually takes out the CR3 archer :smug:.

End turns, KK spawn a city in the ruins of Lyons.

I have forgotten to build any caravels :blush:, next player please start two as soon as possible.

Spoiler autolog :

Logging by Ruff's Cobbled Mod Pack v2.0.4 (Warlords v2.08) - New Log Entries
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turn 240/660 (1100 AD) [11-Feb-2007 23:44:43]
GreyFox: stagnant Paris, grow Djenne
Kumbi Saleh finishes: Barracks

IBT:
Civics Change: Gandhi(India) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'

Turn 241/660 (1106 AD) [11-Feb-2007 23:47:20]
Kumbi Saleh begins: Skirmisher (8 turns)
Djenne finishes: Catapult

IBT:
Attitude Change: Mehmed II(Ottomans) towards Augustus Caesar(Rome), from 'Annoyed' to 'Furious'

Turn 242/660 (1112 AD) [11-Feb-2007 23:48:20]
Djenne begins: Crossbowman (15 turns)

IBT:

Turn 243/660 (1118 AD) [11-Feb-2007 23:49:39]
Axeman promoted: City Raider I
Paris's borders expand

IBT:

Turn 244/660 (1124 AD) [11-Feb-2007 23:50:52]

IBT:

Turn 245/660 (1130 AD) [11-Feb-2007 23:52:25]
A Hamlet was built near Kumbi Saleh

IBT:

Turn 246/660 (1136 AD) [11-Feb-2007 23:53:02]

IBT:

Turn 247/660 (1142 AD) [11-Feb-2007 23:53:51]
Djenne grows: 6

IBT:

Turn 248/660 (1148 AD) [11-Feb-2007 23:54:34]
Tech learned: Optics
Kumbi Saleh finishes: Skirmisher

IBT:

Turn 249/660 (1154 AD) [11-Feb-2007 23:55:31]
Research begun: Currency (10 Turns)
Kumbi Saleh begins: Mint (45 turns)
A Windmill was built near Djenne

IBT:

Turn 250/660 (1160 AD) [11-Feb-2007 23:58:13]
Timbuktu finishes: The Colossus

IBT:
Civics Change: Napoleon(France) from 'Despotism' to 'Hereditary Rule'

Turn 251/660 (1166 AD) [12-Feb-2007 00:01:23]
Timbuktu begins: Crossbowman (6 turns)
While attacking in French territory at Rheims, Swordsman defeats (3.36/6): French Archer (Prob Victory: 18.9%)
Catapult promoted: City Raider I
Catapult promoted: City Raider I
While attacking in French territory at Rheims, Catapult loses to: French Archer (1.92/3) (Prob Victory: 20.7%)
While attacking in French territory at Rheims, Swordsman defeats (6.00/6): French Archer (Prob Victory: 94.4%)
Crossbowman promoted: Combat I
Crossbowman promoted: Cover
While attacking in French territory at Rheims, Crossbowman defeats (2.76/6): French Archer (Prob Victory: 75.1%)
While attacking in French territory at Rheims, Axeman defeats (2.15/5): French Archer (Prob Victory: 84.8%)
Captured Rheims (Napoleon)
Razed Rheims
Rheims lost

IBT:

Turn 252/660 (1172 AD) [12-Feb-2007 00:06:43]
Swordsman promoted: City Raider III
Djenne finishes: Crossbowman
Kumbi Saleh grows: 6

IBT:

Turn 253/660 (1178 AD) [12-Feb-2007 00:08:32]
Djenne begins: Colosseum (12 turns)

IBT:

Turn 254/660 (1184 AD) [12-Feb-2007 00:10:10]
Timbuktu grows: 7
A Village was built near Djenne

IBT:
Attitude Change: Augustus Caesar(Rome) towards Ragnar(Vikings), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Civics Change: Augustus Caesar(Rome) from 'Despotism' to 'Hereditary Rule'

Turn 255/660 (1190 AD) [12-Feb-2007 00:11:30]
A Watermill was built near Kumbi Saleh

IBT:
Attitude Change: Augustus Caesar(Rome) towards Ragnar(Vikings), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
GreyFox' mod is revealing some hidden info. We're not the only one with Optics. :(

Random roster :
negyvenketto
Immaculate
Tatran
The Sansman

Played :
GreyFox

It is not hidden, just tedious to find without the mod (you can click on Ragnar on the Diplo Screen > Relations to know Augustus' attitude towards Ragnar).

However, I find that people are generally having reservation about Ruff's Clobbed Mod which is excellent for people like me who tend to check things out every few turns exploring all the information from all the screens). I will try to remember not to use the mod for this SG in the future.

By the way, how did you deduce someone else know optics by knowing that Augustus relationship changes with respect to Ragnar? We don't even know where Rome and Vikings are (whether they are on the same continent or not).

Top Bottom