1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

To those with d3dx9_32.dll problems

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by DrewTate, Jul 22, 2007.

1. thekube

thekube Chieftain

Ok thanks.., so I need 2 get a graphics card then yeah..?? any suggestions..?? or any directx 9c compatible graphics card will do..?

2. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

pretty much anything on the market today would do. If you have anything particular in mind just start a thread here in the tech support section to ask if that specific one is any good and you'll certainly get an answer...

3. thekube

thekube Chieftain

Ok thanks alot man..! You've been really helpful... Might come back if I get some trouble with it.., after gettin the card:)

4. Oda

Oda Chieftain

I recently tried to upgrade to patch 1.74 and suddenly nothing worked! That is, until I found this thread, which fixed the problem on the first try.

THANK YOU!!!

5. Shane1

Shane1 Chieftain

Hi, I'm also having the patch 1.74 / dll error but have a couple of questions. I just bought new cpu with vista 32 bit etc all drivers up-to-date, loaded civ4 and it played very well with dx10, then downloaded 1.74 and get the dll missing error, does this mean the patch 1.74 has the dx9 prob as I am using dx10 and if i download dx9 from Microsoft will that replace my dx10, i'm not the most computer literate person around so all advice will be helpful. Thank You

6. ori

7. GVBN

GVBN Emperor

DirectX 10 is a completely new version of DirectX and isn't compatible with previous versions. Vista comes with some DirectX 9 libraries in order to maintain out-of-the-box compatibility which is why you could run Civ4 before the patch. Patch 1.74 uses newer version of DirectX 9.0c so you need to download it, and no, it will not replace DirectX 10

8. Shane1

Shane1 Chieftain

Thanks guys, appreciate the help

9. Raca

Raca Chieftain

Thank you for the post. After a recent system crash I lost all my files, and your post helped me very much.

10. Redoubt

Redoubt Chieftain

Thanks for the post regarding d3dx9! - I have had Civ 4 on this machine since both were new out of the box back in 2006 and never updated my files until today. Imagine my surprise when it suddenly refused to load, Gaaaaah! I think I would go crazy without my regular Civ 4 fixes.

Thanks again :)

11. tastybrain

tastybrain Chieftain

I've having the same problem, but I'm running Windows 7. Anyone have a solution for that? I have DirectX 11 (6.01) running. I've tried to install DirectX 9 but it seems that it isn't compatible with Windows 7. Help please! Thanks!

12. ori

13. tastybrain

tastybrain Chieftain

Holy Shiite Muslims! I thought I ran this, but I tried it again and it worked. Thanks!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

14. DamonL

DamonL Chieftain

Thanks. That was just the ticket.:D

15. jobless

jobless Chieftain

im getting an error message when i try to start the game something abut a 3d device what can i do to get the game stated

16. ori

17. belllacie

belllacie Chieftain

Problems...so frustrated. I installed Civ 4 and when I try to start it for the first time I get the d3dx32 not found message. So I have tried to download it and put it in the civ 4 folder, as well as the system32 folder...still not working. I tried the directx9 download but that won't work either because I have Vista and Directx10. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted the computer, even copied other d3 files and renamed them...Nothing works. I'm at my witts end with this thing. Can anyone help me before I return the game?

18. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

Welcome to CFC! :band:

What happened when you tried to install from ori's link for directx9c?

It will work with Vista (I installed it on both Vista and W7). Directx 10 does not have some of the old libraries that Civ 4 needs hence the need to install the latest version of directx 9. Directx 9c does not replace or affect directx 10.

19. MightyGooga

MightyGooga At last I can change this

This worked for me, at least for VANILLA. The game was showing a message of compability problems, then I installed the patch, after that i started to get the d3dx9_32.dll problem, i tryed your suggestions and vanilla worked. Now im trying to install the BTS, lets hope it works.

Thanks guys

20. labam

labam Chieftain

Hello please help me, ever since i downloaded the patch 1.74 i can not play or uninstall Civ 4. I also cannot download any of the links, i keep getting the "setup could not download the file" response.