1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Today I Learned #2: Gone for a Wiki Walk

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

So, they were all famous explorers, then. (Sadly posthumously for poor Captain Oates.)

2. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

As an aside, Captain Cook took a whack at discovering the NE Passage, i.e. from Alaska east. He failed. IIRC, he then sailed south and discovered Hawaii.

3. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

4. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

5. aimeeandbeatles

At 60m sea level rise, my entire town will be underwater.

6. Cutlass

Mine will be too. Except the 5 acres or so of it that I actually live on. It's nice to live on a hill.

7. aimeeandbeatles

The entirety of Florida (except for a weird diamond section which I'm pretty sure is a visual glitch) will also be underwater.

Imaus likes this.
  8. Cutlass

Most of Florida is near flat, with only smallish hills, and no mountains.

9. Arakhor

I live up a hill in a famously hilly area, so I'll be fine, but any of the "nearby" cities - Cardiff, Newport, Bristol, Gloucester - not so much. It would still be a disaster either way.

10. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

At 60 meter sea level increase we would for the Netherlands need a really big dike, but not impossible and still worth the cost.
    If we would join up with Norway and the Hanseatic countries, it would be relatively low cost per country to build a dike from the south point of the Netherlands to Norway (near Bergen or so).
    That dike would protect the coasts of Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Poland, Baltic States, Russia, Finland, Sweden, South-Norway.
    And if the UK has no issues to let go its splendid isolation status, for the same cost the East coast of England and most of Scotland can be protected as well.

With for example a 7 meter sea level increase there is hardly an issue.
    Our existing sea dikes (that face directly the North Sea without wave breaking islands in between) are typical 12 meter above normal sea level. Adding 7 meter to that not that expensive, although it will most probably be easier and cheaper to add a 19 meter height dike 10 km or so away from the coast.
    We would need to widen the Rhine bassin up to the border with Germany to handle that 7 meter higher Rhine water near Rotterdam becoming less and less going upstream.
    But the maps for that are already on the drawing table. And spatial ordening directives will result from that to prevent new house building etc in areas designated as future Rhine bassin. It would also create a big green lung in the Netherlands because the Rhine becomes a waterhighway in flowing through a wide national park containing flood areas as well for the increased flooding profile of the Rhine because of Climate and the current policies of upstream countries regarding no good water retention (too much paved surface, too little forest, etc)

For now we just add in a 80 year plan up to two meter dike or changing the sea foot etc of dikes to alter the waves that hit the dikes.
    Main focus now is in effect big trials for all kinds of shapes, materials, etc to increase the cost knowhow of Civil Engineering. Also experimenting with sandbank engineering (minimal tricks to have sea streams make sandbanks at the right spots for wave breaking).

If the land you protect with dikes is delivering high enough GDP (and has much capital value from houses, infra, etc)... it always pays to build dikes.

If the land you want to protect is a narrow coastal area or mainly low yield agricultural economy, it does not easily pay back to build dikes.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Berzerker and Birdjaguar like this.
  11. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

UK shows no signs of getting organised regarding sea level rise.

Complete political refusal to recognise that some small isolated coastal communities need to be relocated.

And the money is being frittered on a useless HS2 railway.

12. Arakhor

From this map, I found out that the sea level would have to rise by 150m for me to be washed out, but by then most of England is underwater and Europe, Africa and Asia are no longer connected, so my homelessness would just be a mere statistic at that point.

Berzerker likes this.
  13. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Hey
    Cambridge becomes a coastal city at that 7 meter.
    The London subway fit for submarines...

I guess that some actions will be taken.

14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

It has to be mentioned that in said mafia game I played the role of Francis Crozier and maddened by lead poisoning and hunger me and my henchmen ate the rest of the crew.

Dolbster and AmazonQueen like this.
  15. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

TIL that the Canadian Yiddish poet Melech Ravtich came to Australia in 1933 to investigate whether a Jewish homeland could be established in the north west region.
    Another attempt in 1944 by the Freeland League was vetoed by the Labor Government led by John Curtin.

The young Aboriginal woman consented to be photographed on the condition that she would not have to stop smoking her pipe.
    mj.jpeg

Birdjaguar and The_J like this.
  16. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

A 1500 meter rise in sea level might get me close to beach front. We already have plenty of sand for the beaches too.

Synsensa likes this.
  17. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Birdjaguar, Hrothbern and The_J like this.
  18. aimeeandbeatles

According to the Wayback Machine copy of a site I had bookmarked, the longest word is 1,913 letters and is the term for some chemical formula.

Methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysyglutamylgycylalanylphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylalanylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolylglycylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspartylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylprolylleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginylalanylthreonylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylarginylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylglycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylphenylalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenylalanyltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylvalylaspartylsrylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalylglutaminylglutamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginylvalylalanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspartylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminylisoleucylalanylseryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginylalanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginylarginylalanylalanylleucylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasparaginylalanylalanylprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanylglycylisoleucylserylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylglycylalanylalanylglycylalanylisoleucylserylglycylserylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolylglutamyllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalanylvalylglutaminylprolylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine.

Googling the entire thing got me an error about it being too long, but pasting in a portion brought up this:
    http://allenbrowne.info/Longest/qa-imm1.html

haroon and Hrothbern like this.
  19. Colon

Colon King

The capital of Michigan is Lansing.

20. r16

r16 not deity

the name thing is an offence , gives people an heartattack as the page opens , assuming it is some virus .