Today I Learned #2: Gone for a Wiki Walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potassium. I don't know why dried apricots are considered excellent source of it while fresh aren't. Maybe the drying process alters the potassium compounds into digestible forms. In any case, don't neglect it.

The humble potato is also a very good source of potassium.

Potassium. I don't know why dried apricots are considered excellent source of it while fresh aren't. Maybe the drying process alters the potassium compounds into digestible forms. In any case, don't neglect it.
If I thought I was low in potassium I would use that loSalt stuff that is 2/3rds potassium chloride.

If I thought I was low in potassium I would use that loSalt stuff that is 2/3rds potassium chloride.

I use LoSalt since decades. Since 10 years or so, when it became available, I use the LoSalt that has Iodine added.

The difference however stays that Potassium in vegetables and fruit is a salt formed with carbonate. and LoSalt uses Chloride as negative ion.

This has effect on your pH blood buffering effort.

So despite using LoSalt instead of normal salt, I am still happy to eat potatoes and have roughly every day one banana.
Chocolate (pure) BTW also a good source of Potassium and many more usefull nutrients.

TIL that in 1918, British Gen. Edmund Allenby ignored orders from London on how to conduct a battle against an Ottoman army at Megiddo.
Instead, he successfully adopted several tactics first used by Egyptian pharaoh, Thutmoses III.
Eric Cline, Digging up Armageddon: The search for the lost city of Solomon, Princeton, 2020.

TIL:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/parkinson-s-disease-is-actually-two-diseases-study-suggests-1.5118069

TORONTO -- Parkinson’s disease is actually two separate diseases that start in different parts of the body, according to new findings that researchers say could redefine how doctors treat the complex brain condition.

The findings, by scientists from Denmark published in the top neurology journal Brain, were made after researchers analyzed 37 patients using advanced imaging techniques over six years.

Based on those scans, researchers say Parkinson’s disease begins in either the brain or in the intestines. They now categorize the disease as either “brain first” or “body first.”

The human intestinal microbiome rules!

I dont wanna get in too deep with the visuals but dont some people get fecal transplants to restore their microbiome?

Its kinda weird how to these little critters inside us, we are their universe. Its almost like we have a moral obligation to take care of them. God...Gut...

Once, out of morbid curiousity, I looked up DIY fecal transplants. Let's just say you'll never want to use that blender again :scared:

You're welcome.

Magawa, a giant African pouched rat, was awarded the PDSA’s Gold Medal for his "lifesaving bravery and devotion” after discovering 39 landmines and 28 items of unexploded ordinance in the past seven years, according to the charity.

First known as the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals, PDSA started as a free veterinary clinic in 1917 and has honored heroic animals since 1943.

Magawa was trained by a Belgian organization that has taught rats to find landmines for more than 20 years. The group, APOPO, works with programs in Cambodia, Angola, Zimbabwe and Mozambique to clear millions of mines left behind from wars and conflicts.

Magawa is the group’s most successful rat, having cleared more than 141,000 square meters of land, the equivalent of some 20 soccer fields.

I've seen some presentation which contained some data about the giant rats. The presenter said "up to 1m long", and I was like "If I see a 1m long rat, I'll rather run through the mine field :lol:".
The rat is "only" 60 cm though, the up to 1m was with its 30 cm tail.

I dont wanna get in too deep with the visuals but dont some people get fecal transplants to restore their microbiome?

I've worked in one of the groups who's a leader in the field, and I think 2 years ago we had some contact with a South American researcher, who presented us some of his data about Parkinson in the gut, and if we had any good idea which bug could be causing it.
As ususal, my boss recommended just replacing all of it :D.
Sadly never went through, as far as I can remember, but this might give it again a push.

TIL that Prince wrote and performed Nothing Compares 2 U 6 years before Sinéad O'Connor made it a hit. The surprising thing is that Prince, not exactly known for being understated, sang "I know that living with me baby was sometimes hard", whereas Sinéad, who appears a bit more self deprecating, sang "I know that living with you baby was sometimes hard".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom