Today I Learned #4: Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

when Italian submarines started attacking Soviet freighters en route to Spain , they implied it wasn't them but a pro-German faction in Republic's Navy . Despite the thing that the submarines ordered from Germany were not delivered yet . Might have induced a spat to cause some delay in deliveries to the Republicans . Of course , there was a certain amount of consternation , so it finally became understood that the Czechoslovaks were arriving from the Pasific . Trolling has always been an art form . Which then became instrumental or whatever to unite the Eastern Mediterranean countries , which opened the way Turkey to "return to the West" . The recovery of Hatay being the first result . Oh , here a propaganda picture for you ... AY-Sınıfı-Denizaltılar.jpg

View attachment 662982

That's not a very intelligent way to define a standard measurement ^^

Makes slightly less sense than ex-Alberta premier Jason Kenney informing us 3 years ago that social distancing during the pandemic meant that we had to stay the length of one standard hockey stick (not the shorter goalie sticks), or the length of an adult cow, or the length of two calves, from one another. He included clip art, in the case of the cows (presumably for the benefit of the urban Albertans who might not know what cows look like).

He assumed that we all know how long a hockey stick is.

Til that Fernando Pessoa came up with the slogan of Coca-Cola in Portugal...
(it would translate to: "first you find it strange... then you can't get enough of it")
But I read that he might have wanted to stress that it is drug-related (or addictive as a drug). It seems this lead to a ban for a few years.

1685108289155.png

TIL 1000 years ago Bologna Italy was full of tall thin towers.

I can't help but feel that Tolkien with his wizards and towers might have been influenced by medieval Bologna.
When rich people get competitive. :lol:

The glory veered into the absurd.
See the War of the Bucket.

@Ferocitus

EVERYDAY MATH
EUGENIA CHENG
Why Every Duck Makes The Same Wake

AS THE WEATHER has finally warmed up, I’ve admired ducks swimming in the river and marveled at the wake pattern each one makes in the water. It’s a beautiful pattern of feathery wavelets, broadly forming a V shape, and I enjoy the fact that the angle of the V is always the same no matter how fast the duck is swimming. The pattern doesn’t depend on the duck; the same angle can be seen behind boats—or at least most boats. This is all part of the mathematical field of fluid dynamics, which uses abstract techniques to study the flow of liquids and gases. There might be objects disturbing these flows, like ducks in water or planes in air, or there might be external constraints such as pipes directing the flow. The mechanics are mathematically very complex, and nowadays computers crunch the numbers to solve them.

Still, the situation with a duck is satisfyingly simple. It was understood mathematically by Lord Kelvin of temperature fame, who worked on many aspects of mathematical physics in the 19th century. The idea is that a swimming duck produces a large range of wavelengths in the water— and unlike light or sound waves, liquid waves have different speeds. Waves of greater length move faster; they catch up with shorter waves and ripple over them, causing interference patterns. The outer edges of that interference are what we see in the V-shaped wake of a duck. The angle of the outer edges is always about 39 degrees, regardless of the duck’s speed, because of the constant proportions among all the waves of different lengths. This phenomenon is known as the Kelvin wake pattern. There are some caveats, as is always the case in a mathematical analysis of a real-life situation. For the model to hold up, the duck can’t be too tiny or too slow; it needs to be a certain size and speed for the wake to radiate. And for a perfect Kelvin pattern the water must have no viscosity— it must be fully slippery, with no internal friction.

For boats, technology has dramatically advanced since Kelvin’s time, making much faster crafts than Kelvin would ever have seen. Modern scientists have observed that above a certain speed, the wake becomes narrower. It is not yet fully understood why this happens. One theory, not yet proven, is that neither boats nor ducks produce waves longer than their own profile in the water, so if a boat can go fast enough relative to its length, it can’t make the full range of wavelengths that should accompany its speed—so the angle of its wake narrows. There are further mathematical mysteries at hand. The Kelvin wake phenomenon works in so-called Newtonian fluids (named after Isaac Newton) that move in direct relation to how much they are disturbed. In non-Newtonian fluids, like honey, the relationship between the disturbance and the motion is not linear at all: If you jab at honey with a spoon it can seem solid, but if you push your spoon into it gradually, you’ll have a better chance of scooping out liquid. Another example is a corn-flour slurry. If you mix corn flour and water, they make a murky liquid with the surprising property that if you hit it with your hand it will appear to turn solid. Given a large enough quantity to pave a road, you could run on top of it, but if you tried to walk slowly on it, you would sink.

Many aspects of non-Newtonian fluids are still not fully understood, and the same goes for the wakes of high-speed boats. Mathematicians try to gradually increase our understanding of the world around us, but especially when technological advances create new scenarios, there is always more to understand.

TOMASZ WALENTA

Last edited:
In non-Newtonian fluids, like honey
This is the TIL for me, I had not thought of honey as non-Newtonian, and the interwebs seem to disagree. Is it the difference between set and runny honey? Set honey hardly seems fluid at all to me, but what do I know.

MIT - Honey is a purely viscous, Newtonian fluid
Scientific American - Honey is an example of a non-Newtonian fluid
Analytical Rheology of Honey: A State-of-the-Art Review - Although most honeys are Newtonian fluids, interesting shear-thinning and thixotropic as well as anti-thixotropic behaviour have been described for some types of honey.
Rheological Modelling of the Effects of Sucrose Adulterant on Nigerian Honey - Pure honey exhibits thixotropic time dependent flow pattern, while sucrose solution exhibited near Newtonian flow behaviour at low shear rate. The increase in sucrose content in honey makes its viscosity tend towards Newtonian. The rheology of honey is a function of temperature as viscosity decreased and flow became linear at high temperature up to a point when the rheology tends towards Newtonian.

Sweet!

The corn starch example was the fun one for me. It is always fun to play around with.

[Drunken_Rant_Begin] Today i learned that CFC/Xenforo's like display is broken. I mean who puts 6:34PM above/ahead of 9:44am. [drunken_rant_conclude]

Last edited:
The 'likes' are listed in the order they're given. And 6:34 is earlier than 9:44, assuming they're on the same day.

I made a typo, 9:44pm vs 9:44am.
not my proudest moment............
Spoiler :

:confused:

All I can say is that if you think something is broken with the forum, start a thread in Site Feedback and hopefully either The_J or leif erikson can figure it out.

What cracked up medieval peasants? Killer bunnies and poop jokes, apparently.​

LONDON — It’s around the year 1480, and a wandering English bard walks into a bar. What does he say to the crowd of drunken peasants gathered inside?
A series of irreverent jokes about incontinence, killer rabbits and binge drinking, according to new literary research. The study, published in the Review of English Studies on Wednesday, found that a medieval tome known as the Heege manuscript is no ordinary notebook, but actually includes the comedy script of an unnamed traveling entertainer, otherwise known as a minstrel. The revelation means the manuscript provides, perhaps for the first time, a direct glimpse into the long-forgotten oral tradition of English minstrel acts.

These comedy routines are the medieval equivalent of late-night talk shows, said James Wade, the Cambridge University expert behind the study. The manuscript was probably transcribed around 1480 in England’s Midlands region by Richard Heege, a family tutor; literary experts previously considered its contents to be of uncertain origin.
“It gives us a glimpse into live comedy and entertainment in the Middle Ages that would otherwise be lost,” Wade said, noting some of the similarities between the minstrel’s jokey style and comedy that remains popular today. A minstrel was a lowly entertainer who traveled between alehouses to sing (often bawdy) tales that riffed on the daily grind of peasant life, mocking the audience and their feudal overlords alike. Their existence across medieval Europe is well chronicled, but — given that most minstrels were illiterate — no other direct evidence of their comedy repertoire from that period survives in England. Wade argues that this makes the Heege manuscript unique. “It was written by a scribe that went to the performances of a minstrel,” he said, based on a fresh analysis of the text that notes its scripted audience interaction, wicked sense of humor and the brevity of each of the acts, making them well-suited for meal breaks.
“The minstrel is self-ironizing. It engages with situational comedy, with slapstick, with humor based on crude bodily functions,” he said, adding that the joke book also contains a self-referencing — or meta — element that lends it a modern sensibility. The riffs also include the first known use of the term “red herring” to mean a distraction. A rabbit executes a hunter in the Smithfield Decretals manuscript, decorated in London in the 1340s. (British Library)
The performer’s jokes paint a lively picture of late-medieval English humor, inverting everyday scenes for comic effect and frequently showing peasants and kings being stung by their own stupidity or greed.

In one pamphlet, titled “The Hounding of the Hare,” dimwitted peasants set out to hunt rabbits. In the chaos and confusion of the chase, the hunters end up preying on each other instead. The scene is so topsy-turvy that one of the peasants becomes terrified that the rabbit will murder him, rather than the other way around. At one point, the tale goes like this (all stories here translated by Wade from Middle English):
Jack Wade was never so sad as when the hare trod on his head in case she would have ripped out his throat.
The specter of the killer bunny — familiar to fans of the 1975 film “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” — recurs throughout medieval English literature, according to the British Library, even appearing in Chaucer’s “The Canterbury Tales” one century before the Heege manuscript was produced. Turning the docile, four-legged animal from prey to predator had specific resonance to medieval ears, as many of those hearing the riff would have spent their lives working alongside animals.

Animals provide a constant source of humor in the minstrel’s routine. In another sketch, the entertainer tells of a time he entered a church to discover its pews were populated entirely by fish. There’s also the time he attended a feast cooked and served by a fox playing the fiddle, with a bumble bee on the hornpipe. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the riffs contain their share of cruder jokes, too. In one, a man becomes haunted by incontinence after receiving a blow to his backside:

Therefore soon he was hit on the back, forever after his bottom said “quack” — whenever he should rise to walk.

Another routine takes the form of a mock sermon that ridicules the priesthood — of which only one or two other examples survive today, according to Wade. In one, the minstrel suggests the Eucharist may actually be a meat sausage. In another, he extols the virtues of heavy drinking and suggests God-fearing folk should make sure to finish off their pints if they want a spot in heaven:

If you have a big tanker in your hand and it’s full of good ale and you leave any beer inside — you’re putting your soul at great risk. These men said in the Bible that someone who’s bad at drinking is not likely to go to heaven.

“In the 15th century, that was a really edgy thing to do,” Wade said. “The lack of survival suggests it’s right on the cusp of acceptability,” he added — comparing the mock-sermon genre to the modern equivalent of a comic satirizing a politician.
Minstrels would frequently deliver their performances at medieval alehouses — meaning there’s a good chance the cheeky joke was intended to poke fun at the drunken crowd, too, Wade said. Elsewhere in the mock sermon, the entertainer tells an absurd story of a gluttonous group of kings who stuff themselves with so much gruel that they transform into “red herrings.”

There was once a king and he made a great feast, and he had three kings at his feast. And these three kings ate one dish of gruel. And they ate so much that their bellies burst. And out of the bellies came 24 oxen sword-fighting. And there were left no more alive but three red herrings.

The joke is that mighty aristocrats become useless as soon as they get merry together. “That way of making jokes — of taking people who are high and bringing them low — that is sort of universally funny,” Wade said. Medieval peasants relaxed after a hard day’s toil in the field much in the same way as their modern counterparts switch off by turning on the television, Wade said. “They were doing many of the same kinds of stuff that we get up to,” he said. “Go to your favorite pub or inn or tavern or alehouse and put your feet up for the evening. Drink some beer, eat some nice food and listen to some entertainment.”

I've been assuming, these last 10-15 years, that the misspellings "must of", "could of", and "should of" were recent. I figured it had something to do with the growth of the Web, with every Tim, Dock, and Hurry empowered to right whatever pops into their heads. With so many outlet's deciding they can do without editor's, even professional writers can fall pray to these common errors that a spell-checker or auto-correct might not catch.

Yesterday I was looking up The J. Geils Band and noticed the song "Must of Got Lost." (I always heard that lyric as "must'a got lost" rather than "must've got lost", but same thing.) When I saw the song title on my music player, I chuckled. Whoever typed the name of the song into the database had made the same mistake I'd seen so many times before in recent years. I went to Wikipedia, and there too, the song was cited as "Must of Got Lost." I still didn't believe it. I actually went looking for the album cover for Nightmares and other Tales from 1974, and sure enough, there it is: "Must of Got Lost."

So TIL that this particular misspelling goes back at least 49 years. Who knows, maybe it's even older than that.

---

Next, I'm hoping to uncover why some people say "on accident" instead of "by accident."

What cracked up medieval peasants? Killer bunnies and poop jokes, apparently.​

LONDON — It’s around the year 1480, and a wandering English bard walks into a bar. What does he say to the crowd of drunken peasants gathered inside?
A series of irreverent jokes about incontinence, killer rabbits and binge drinking, according to new literary research. The study, published in the Review of English Studies on Wednesday, found that a medieval tome known as the Heege manuscript is no ordinary notebook, but actually includes the comedy script of an unnamed traveling entertainer, otherwise known as a minstrel. The revelation means the manuscript provides, perhaps for the first time, a direct glimpse into the long-forgotten oral tradition of English minstrel acts.

These comedy routines are the medieval equivalent of late-night talk shows, said James Wade, the Cambridge University expert behind the study. The manuscript was probably transcribed around 1480 in England’s Midlands region by Richard Heege, a family tutor; literary experts previously considered its contents to be of uncertain origin.

Why do you think Shakespeare included so many bawdy jokes and other forms of rude humor? He was writing what his target audience liked. His target audience was not the upper-crust, aristocratic types, but rather they were the common people.

Four hundred years later this has been reversed, where people dress up to see a Shakespeare play. I remember some other audience members looking at me in disapproval when I turned up in my favorite shirt and jeans when I went to see Twelfth Night.

I've been assuming, these last 10-15 years, that the misspellings "must of", "could of", and "should of" were recent. I figured it had something to do with the growth of the Web, with every Tim, Dock, and Hurry empowered to right whatever pops into their heads. With so many outlet's deciding they can do without editor's, even professional writers can fall pray to these common errors that a spell-checker or auto-correct might not catch.

Yesterday I was looking up The J. Geils Band and noticed the song "Must of Got Lost." (I always heard that lyric as "must'a got lost" rather than "must've got lost", but same thing.) When I saw the song title on my music player, I chuckled. Whoever typed the name of the song into the database had made the same mistake I'd seen so many times before in recent years. I went to Wikipedia, and there too, the song was cited as "Must of Got Lost." I still didn't believe it. I actually went looking for the album cover for Nightmares and other Tales from 1974, and sure enough, there it is: "Must of Got Lost."

So TIL that this particular misspelling goes back at least 49 years. Who knows, maybe it's even older than that.

---

Next, I'm hoping to uncover why some people say "on accident" instead of "by accident."

Yeah, it's been around a lot longer than 49 years. I don't think I lost marks for it in school, but a few others did.

"On accident" really annoys me.

His target audience was not the upper-crust, aristocratic types, but rather they were the common people.
Well, both, actually. (But upper-crust, aristocratic types like bawdy humor at least as much as the common people do.)

OMG, the bawdiest author is the English literary tradition is also the highest born.

I always heard that lyric as "must'a got lost"
Or even "mussa." So the seeming grammatical error might have been an attempt to capture that pronunciation. :dunno:

Writing in dialect or slang can bring the reader into the story if they hear the characters in their minds, but it's a pain to write if it requires a lot of apostrophes.

This is why I advise fanfic writers to put on an episode of whatever they're writing about, or the movie, and then don't actually watch it. Close your eyes and listen to the characters speak. Get a feel for how they talk. Do they drop their 'g's when using words ending in -ing? If so, that's how their dialogue should be written.

Of course that can lead to too many apostrophes. I had to read some of the dialogue out loud to myself in a couple of Merovingen Nights stories because C.J. Cherryh wrote a whole lot of it into a conversation among a group of canalers (the poor people in this city, just a step up from the swampies). I had a hard time visually with the dialogue in that scene, with characters that stuff their vowels into the consonants so the word "can" comes out as "c'n".

I love these stories, but if I ever try to tackle a Merovingen Nights fanfic (for some reason I can't find any anywhere, even on AO3 where there are plenty of stories based on Cherryh's other series) I'll have to mind my apostrophes because to have them speaking like middle or upper tier characters would be out of character for them.

Top Bottom