Tomatekh's Historical Religions

Tomatekh's Historical Religions v.24

You could do it as perhaps Hellenismos or Dodekatheism.

Rome is a little more difficult. You could consider doing Mos Maiorum* or the Imperial Cult.

*Not technically a religion, but you can't really pull apart roman culture and their religion since it was so heavily intertwined and orthopraxic.

I'm just glad you moved this over to Civ VI. Historical Religions Complete (and Great Prophet Names) were two of my favourite mods for Civ V!

Tomatekh, you could create another mod for modern religions for those wanting Scientology or Pastafarianism.
Just choose the snake symbol and pretend it's a noodle. You can rename your religion Pastafarianism or Scientology if you wish. There's no reason to make an entire mod for it.

Good work on the mod, Tomatekh. :thumbsup:

This is cool, I'd certainly use this and it seems like the start of what will one day become an overhaul of the religion system. Good work guy!

Not to sound old, but back in the Civ IV days (when I was active) we called it "Olympic Pantheon." Maybe that might help work a bit better.

Finally. :) This was my first post in the forum to introduce this, after the first days I played the game. A question: Do the AI choose the religion fitting to its civilization if it has none before? As example China always chooses Taoism if it is available. Would be nice if Greece as example would always choose "Hellinism". I am sick of seeing ancient Greece choosing Sikhism. This ruins the authenticity of a game calling "Civilization".

Problem with that is that only 7 (I think) religions can be founded. I never understood this limit or why a prophet is needed to found a religion. Why can not all civilizations found a religion with 300 Believe instead? It is also strange that you play with more traditional Christian civilizations than there are Christian Religions to choose. If France chooses Chatholzism Spain and Germany cannot any more as example.

Hey, everyone! I'm glad to see the mod is being received so well. I apologize for my lack of activity on the thread. I am working on an update for this mod while also trying to finish the last of my Civ V mods. So, I've been somewhat preoccupied. I should have something for this mod in the near future, though.

A quick word on Hellenism. I appreciate the suggestions, but I don't intend to change the name. One of the reasons why I specifically chose the term instead of something like Dodekatheism/Olympic Pantheon was because those terms exclude other forms of Hellenic religious expression outside of traditional deity worship. In particular, mystery cults and philosophical mysticism were as important as the traditional pantheon and a huge part of religion in the Greco-Roman world. In fact, Neoplatonism was one of the most significant religious movements period, simply because of the huge impact it had on the Abrahamic religions (and even continues to form a key part of Christian, Judaic, and Islamic thought today) not to mention the various esoteric movements and emerging sciences during the Renaissance. Despite accusations on this thread to the contrary, I've actually studied the Greco-Roman religious sphere rather extensively in school, and continue to hold that "Hellenism" is the most appropriate term for the generic religion. As I sad, if I ever do something similar to the Civ V version of this mod (where I split up Hellenism into 6-7 smaller, more specific religions), that's when I would use terms like Dodekatheism, etc.

A question: Do the AI choose the religion fitting to its civilization if it has none before? As example China always chooses Taoism if it is available.

All the leaders previously lacking a religious preference (Aztec, Greece, etc.) are updated to prefer an appropriate historical religion with the mod. In terms of why there is a limit to how many religions that can be founded, I assume it's simply for game play reasons. However, there is a technical limitation in terms of how many religions can be founded vs the number of beliefs. You can easily mod the game to allow more religions to be founded, but you then need to also add enough beliefs to support that or the game crashes.

Last edited:
Your mod could include some extra founder beliefs. Some good founder beliefs include dietary restrictions (significantly increased faith but gain zero bonuses (not even amenities) from certain resources; examples could include Kosher (Truffles and Crabs provide no bonuses), Halal (Truffles and Wine provide no bonuses), and Word of Wisdom (Coffee, Tea, and Wine provide no bonuses))

Not sure if this is the right place, but whenever i load up this mod, creating a new game doesn't work. Instead of getting the loading screen with the leader, it just goes back to the main menu

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thank you for adding the Shia zulfikar icon so much! Finally something for my religion.

Not sure if this is the right place, but whenever i load up this mod, creating a new game doesn't work. Instead of getting the loading screen with the leader, it just goes back to the main menu

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have the same problem. Strangely, this mod used to work previously. I have replaced the Icons_Religions.xml file as instructed and I have the Aztec DLC so I didn't mess with the mod files. Some other mods that I use that were recently updated are CQUI, AI+, Restart Button, MOAR Units, Quo's Combined Tweaks, and TCS Omnibus Mod. Could any of them be interfering with this mod?

Thank you very much, Tomatekh, for this very nice and greatly enjoyable mod! As an assistant professor for the Islamic studies and history of religion in real life, I do have many issues with the idea that there were clearly definable religions in antiquity (and this is why there is room for discussion how we should name a thing like Hellenism and so on). However, this is not a seminar. So... I would love to see an icon for the Din-i Ilahi, Mithraism, Yazidism, Ahl-e Haqq, Alevism, Kharijite Islam, Druze, and just some old stuff like cult of Marduk, and Baal. Oh yes, Baal! ;-) I could go on and on.

Thank you for providing us with this lovely stuff, I find it immensely enjoyable to cover my map with lovely yellow Manichaeism!

Oh, one more thing: Would it be hard to implement to make name changes within pre-named religions possible?

Thank you very much, Tomatekh, for this very nice and greatly enjoyable mod! As an assistant professor for the Islamic studies and history of religion in real life, I do have many issues with the idea that there were clearly definable religions in antiquity (and this is why there is room for discussion how we should name a thing like Hellenism and so on). However, this is not a seminar. So... I would love to see an icon for the Din-i Ilahi, Mithraism, Yazidism, Ahl-e Haqq, Alevism, Kharijite Islam, Druze, and just some old stuff like cult of Marduk, and Baal. Oh yes, Baal! ;-) I could go on and on.

Thank you for providing us with this lovely stuff, I find it immensely enjoyable to cover my map with lovely yellow Manichaeism!

Oh, one more thing: Would it be hard to implement to make name changes within pre-named religions possible?

I'm glad you are enjoying the mod!

Honestly, most of the names are just for the sake of convenience in terms of how religion functions in the game and not meant to be a statement. They're also not meant to be looked at in a vacuum. For example, I think the pedia entry I wrote for Hellenism does a lot better job explaining the religion while also giving context to the name. Even there, though, there's only so much space to write and you can't fit everything. One of my primary goals with the mod was also to include the religions in a way that stylistically and thematically matched the officially included material. I felt this was important and sometimes you have to make some concessions in terms of historical accuracy for that to work.

In terms of your requests, I actually ended up including a large number of them by the end of the Civ V version of this mod. I plan to expand the Civ VI version in the same way. For the first release, I couldn't include everything, so I started with more general categories/religions which I'll then elaborate in future updates. So, at the moment, religions like Mithraism, Atenism, Cults of Marduk, Ba'al Hadad are included in the mod under the broad categories of Hellenism, Pesedjet, Chaldaenism, Canaanism respectively, but I intend to separate them out into their own religions with future updates. It just takes time to make all the art... although I've already started with some of them:

In terms of name changes, do you mean having multiple AI choose the same symbol under different names, (or something similar)? I figured out how to do that with the Civ V version of the mod, but it requires lua which modders are still having some trouble implementing consistently with Civ VI. Something like that might need to wait until the release of the official SDK/modbuddy/workshop stuff.

If you mean just renaming all the religions yourself, you can do that easily by editing the mod's text file. ~/Tomatekhs Historical Religions/XML/HR_Religions_Text.xml
Any program like notepad will be able to open it. You can then just search for say "Hellenism", find the entry that looks like this:

<Row Tag="LOC_RELIGION_HELLENISM" Language="en_US">
<Text>Hellenism</Text>
</Row>

Rename the religion between the two <Text></Text> and save the file.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been working on the issue. It's likely a mod conflict issue; however, this is difficult to completely fix/prevent before the release the official SDK. In the meantime, you just have to avoid using this mod with any other mod that also edits religions, religious preferences, or religious icons.

Hm. Too bad. Well, patience is a virtue and all that.

Well, I'd say it's also not exactly Tomatekh's problem, is it? The mod works. In terms of compatibility, it's probably easier for the other mods to change whatever minor edit they make to the religion files than for Tomatekh, since his mod is focused exclusively on expanding the religion files.

Hey everyone, so the new patch/DLC broke some mods (including HR). I will try to workout how to make it compatible with the new patch as soon as possible.
You may already be well aware of this but there is a great guide here that explains how to add art and icons with out the need for overwrites. Thanks to the new patch. This may help with compatibility I don't honestly know but I love the work you have done and don't think I can play a game with out it.

You may already be well aware of this but there is a great guide here that explains how to add art and icons with out the need for overwrites. Thanks to the new patch. This may help with compatibility I don't honestly know but I love the work you have done and don't think I can play a game with out it.

Thanks! Yeah, I saw that and integrated it into the update.

Top Bottom