Totally Replaced Leaders for Civilization V Discussion Thread

Midnight-Blue766

The filidh that cam frae Skye
I am planning to remake my/George Stow's* Totally Replaced Leaders mod for Civilization V. However, due to the fact that (at the time of writing) CiV has not been released yet and we do not know how to mod leaderheads, this will be primarily discussion for the time being.

Proposed leaders:

America: Abraham Lincoln (Theodore Roosevelt?)
Arabia: Saladins (Abu Bakr?)
Aztecs: Itzcoatl
China: Taizong (Kangxi? Qin Shi Huang?)
Egypt: Hatshepsut (Cleopatra?)
England: Victoria (George III? Churchill?)
France: Louis XIV (Charles de Gualle? Philippe Auguste?)
Germany: Frederick II (Hitler? Frederick Barbarossa?)
Greece: Solon (Pericles? Leonidas?)
India: Chandragupta II
Iroquois: Joseph Brant (Logan?)
Japan: Tokugawa Ieyasu (Meiji?)
Ottomans: Mehmed II (Ataturk?)
Persia: Cyrus
Rome: Marcus Aurelius (Trajan? Julius Caesar?)
Russia: Peter (Lenin? Ivan Grozny?)
Siam: Mongkut
Songhai: Mansa Musa Sunni Ali

(Leaders in brackets are leaders I am/was contemplating for other choices)

Anybody want to contribute to some more ideas?

*George Stow originally came up with the idea and used it in his mod The Mod of Modness. I took the idea and used it as a base for a CIV mod.)

I am planning to remake my/George Stow's* Totally Replaced Leaders mod for Civilization V. However, due to the fact that (at the time of writing) CiV has not been released yet and we do not know how to mod leaderheads, this will be primarily discussion for the time being.

Proposed leaders:

America: Abraham Lincoln (Theodore Roosevelt?)
Arabia: Saladins (Abu Bakr?)
Aztecs: Itzcoatl
China: Taizong (Kangxi? Qin Shi Huang?)
Egypt: Hatshepsut (Cleopatra?)
England: Victoria (George III? Churchill?)
France: Louis XIV (Charles de Gualle? Philippe Auguste?)
Germany: Frederick II (Hitler? Frederick Barbarossa?)
Greece: Solon (Pericles? Leonidas?)
India: Chandragupta II
Iroquois: Joseph Brant (Logan?)
Japan: Tokugawa Ieyasu (Meiji?)
Ottomans: Mehmed II (Ataturk?)
Persia: Cyrus
Rome: Marcus Aurelius (Trajan? Julius Caesar?)
Russia: Peter (Lenin? Ivan Grozny?)
Siam: Mongkut
Songhai: Mansa Musa

(Leaders in brackets are leaders I am/was contemplating for other choices)

Anybody want to contribute to some more ideas?

*George Stow originally came up with the idea and used it in his mod The Mod of Modness. I took the idea and used it as a base for a CIV mod.)

Pretty interesting... Hopefully, it won't be too hard to mod, replace existing leaders (if not for me, then at least for the experienced modders out there). For the most part, I am fine with the original cast of Civ V as they stand. Some of my thoughts (in italics:

America: Abraham Lincoln (Theodore Roosevelt?) - I would be interested in Teddy, myself. Ol' Abe is fine and all, but I would say that Teddy is perhaps my favorite President. I mean, he was shot while giving a speech and carried on with the speech like it was nothing.
Arabia: Saladins (Abu Bakr?) - To be honest, I am glad for the change-up here. Saladin is fine, but it is nice to have somebody new. I am not too familiar with Arabian leaders, so I would go with either the CIV V default, or trust in your judgement here.
Aztecs: Itzcoatl - Though Monte has been around since the beginning of CIV, I honestly can't see anybody replacing him. I'd have to stick with him.
China: Taizong (Kangxi? Qin Shi Huang?) - I am sure that there are a number of possible choices for China, so I will leave this up to best judgement. I must say, though, that I like Wu if only for the reason of having some female representation.
Egypt: Hatshepsut (Cleopatra?) - I would be fine with Hatty... (again with the female representation). Cleo would be nice, but she is Greek and I think Egypt deserves the justice of having a true Egyptian at the head.
England: Victoria (George III? Churchill?) - I suppose that any of these could be fine, really.
France: Louis XIV (Charles de Gualle? Philippe Auguste?) - While I kind of miss Joan of Arc, I understand that she was never really a ruler of France. I do prefer Napolean, myself.
Germany: Frederick II (Hitler? Frederick Barbarossa?) - Hitler would only be fine with me for a WWII scenario (along with the other leaders of the other pertinant Civs at that time... Roosevelt, Churchill, Muscalini(sp?), etc). That said, it would likely be best to go with Frederick as an alternate to Bismarck.
Greece: Solon (Pericles? Leonidas?) - I would prefer Pericles, myself, though their could be a number of selections. For me, take Alexander and move him to an added Macedon Civ.
India: Chandragupta II - I would have to say that Gandhi falls in the same boat as Monte for me... he is fine where he is.
Iroquois: Joseph Brant (Logan?) - Honestly, I have no real opinion on this one. Either of your selections would be fine.
Japan: Tokugawa Ieyasu (Meiji?) - I would select Meiji over Tokugawa, myself. Nothing against Toku... but more for something fresh and Meiji being the key emperor during Japanese reform.
Ottomans: Mehmed II (Ataturk?) - Again, I would have to leave this to your judgement.
Persia: Cyrus - A fine alternative to Darius, I would say. No further opinion.
Rome: Marcus Aurelius (Trajan? Julius Caesar?) - It is hard for me lead Rome with anybody but a Caesar (Julius or Augustus). That said, I do think that any of the 5 great emporers of Rome would be good choices... Nerva, Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius or Marcus Aurelius. Just stay clear of Nero. Another good choice (and a departure from the norm) could be not an emporer, but a King... Romulus himself!
Russia: Peter (Lenin? Ivan Grozny?) - For this one, I would have to revert back to what I said about femal representation and stick with Catherine. For an alternative, I suppose Peter would be fine.
Siam: Mongkut and Songhai: Mansa Musa - For these last too, I would again have to defer judgement to you or others.

All of those look good, except for the Iroquois. I'd think that if you're going to replace Hiawatha, the obvious choice would be Deganawida, the man who supposedly founded the Confederacy.

You don't have to be restrictive with the current Civilizations either, afterall the if differences are mainly the leaders then let's add in other civs as well.

Spain: Isabel
Mongol: Ghengis Khan
Inca: ??
Maya: ??
Sweden: ??
Italy: ??
Zulu: ??

All right, here are the new traits that will probably be featuring in the mod:

Spoiler :
America (Lincoln)- Emacipation
Arabia (Saladin)- Holy War‡ (Temples and Cathedrals give military experience)
Aztecs (Itzcoatl)-*
China (Taizong)- All Under Heaven/Middle Kingdom** (+50% Gold and Shields from friendly city states)
Egypt (Hatshepsut)- Divine Rule (Immediately starts with Tradition)
England (Victoria)- Rule Brittania†
France (Louis XIV)‡- Filles du Roi (Non-capital cities start with 2 population)
Germany (Frederich II)- Prussian Virtues‡ (Increased Great General appearance and effectiveness)
Greece (Pericles)- Democracy (Immediately start with Liberty policy)
India (Ashoka)- Humanitarianism†
Iroquois (Joseph Brant)- Confederation (-50% maintenance costs)
Japan (Meiji)- Meiji Restoration
Ottomans (Ataturk)- Altı Ok (-15% Culture needed for policy change)
Persia (Xerxes)- Taarof†
Rome (Marcus Aurelius)- Stoicism†
Russia (Peter I)- General Winter (Enemy units in Russian borders take damage)
Siam (Mongkut)- Dhammaraja‡ (Double cultural output from Palace)
Songhai (Sunni Ali)- Julla (+1 Gold from Trade Routes, Gold Provides double quality)

* Trait needed
† Effects needed.
‡ Trait or trait effects might be changed
** I'm not sure which name to use.

Top Bottom