TR04 - Losers vs 5CC deity

Tubby Rower

Chronic Slacker
Losers vs 5CC deity
[c3c]
Well we've been led to a victory in Monarch, Emperor, and Demi-God. Even though I consistantly mine food bonuses in despotism.

Roster :
eldar
dman
Minute Man
Mach
Bede
Tubby Rower
A-K

We'll be playing the lovely Theodora.
80% water Archipeligo
no barbs
normal climate
4 billion year old world
random rivals
All VC's enabled

After rolling about 25 starts, here is the initial starting location:

Save file

Here are the guidelines for the game. I stole these from others but they did a better job of writing things down than I could.
meldor said:
Also, each turn (except the first player) will be around ten turns +/- a few. If you don't have time to complete them all then its OK to stop early and pass it on. Sometimes the game just has some natural break points beyond which you might commit the next player to a massive undertaking and you want to leave the choice up to them as they will shoulder the burden. Sometimes a war is just about over and you don't want to leave a the next player with a couple of boring "clean-up" turns or you have worked to get something done that you feel is important and you don't want it lost. Take a couple extra to do so. Try not to "hog" all the fun, but don't short change yourself either.
scoutsout said:
Succession Game Etiquette Guide
Please do:
Let the team know if you're going to be unable to play for an extended period - holiday, illness, exams etc.
Post a "Got it" notice or ask for a skip within 24 hours of the save becoming available (I reserve the right to skip a player who hasn't responded after the 24 hour grace period is over).
Play and post within 48 hours of posting a "Got it". Additional time may be requested and granted for expected delays.
Write up a log of the events occurring during your turn and post it along with your save.
Provide notes for the next player as to the current situation and any immediate plans for the future - are those Caravels heading NE or SW? is that Swordsman fortified to heal or act as a lookout? Our forces are mustering for an attack on...
Feel free to pause and ask for advice, or simply discuss, if a situation arisies in the game and you're unsure of the best course of action.

Please do not:
Automate Workers.
Use City Governors unless the team has discussed and agreed their use.
Leave units on goto orders that will extend beyond your turn. (Auto-moving is bad form in SGs)
Make deals on your last turn. However, you should notify the next player if trading opportunities exist.
Make wholesale changes to build orders on the inherited turn without consulting the team. One or two is okay, and pre-builds may naturally get changed.

Here are 10 starts. None look too promising except 4 & 8 I think. But what do I know.

These rolls are on a standard map so if the map size needs to be different we need to re-roll.

Signing up. I like you're pic there, tub. Bad luck with the rolls there, but I guess we're getting paid back for TR03 with all that food. I think it'll be #8, with the food bonus and 3 bgs. If it had a river it would be prefect. As much as I'd love that river in #4, has marsh to the ne. (Also, is that a volcano in #4?)

Signing up.

I think #4 is the best of a bad lot because it has a river, which is pretty rare on a 80% archipelago. The lack of a food bonus hurts us less in a 5CC, I think, as we don't really need a settler factory. And the swamp is annoying, but it can be cleared to give us decent land eventually.

#8 is next best, but that wheat isn't as exciting if we don't have fresh water. And is that desert to the north? That's even worse than swamps.

Standard size is fine with me, btw.

OK, I wasn't too impressed with the selection of starts, and I think we do want a good starting position for this game, so I took the liberty of rolling up a few of my own. Here's what I came up with (all the settings are the same as Tubby's):

Start #1

Start #2

Start #3

Start #4

The RNG gods were obviously with me tonight. I think my favorite is #3, but those cows in #4 are awfully tempting, too.

If you need a sixth let me know. Otherwise I will be happy to lurk this one.

Looks like TR has been taking start lessons from vipr's RNG.

Start 8 is the best of a bad lot and it's pretty bad.

MinuteMan's #2, and #4 look most promising, however.

#1 needs a little more fog gazing, but if that is fresh water to the NE and we are on the neck of a peninsula that one could be fine also.

Oh crap. Maybe A-K was right and we do need to change map sizes!!!!

Bede you are welcome to join unless selling books and the monkdom life is pressing your time...

Anyone else care to roll some starts??

I'm not sure which one of MM's are best but they are all better than mine.

#1 -> @ tip of pennisula so probably definate no
#2 -> I don't like because of the desert on one side and the sea on the other
#3 -> should we move to the hill or plant in place?
#4 -> irrigate plains then irrigate the herd

On MM's #3, we'd want to plant on the spot to stay on the coast.

I like MM's #4 a bunch. My only worry is with those surrounding mountains, I don't know if we'll have good land closeby for our other 4 cities. Personally, I would mine one cow first, then go to bring irrigation to the other.

I rolled 10 starts myself, and the first nine were throwaways. Here's the 10th. Nice food & production, with a river in sight, but we'd have to move the settler, and I don't see a lux...

Good morning gentlemen!

I can't resist but to join, but i am starting a huge project at work that will last for quite some time so my civ time will be somewhat limited.
I'll try to play and participate, but RL can take me elsewhere and if i dissapear for few days i ask for forgiveness in advance.
I'd love to see Bede joining this game. His skills will be essential.

Thanks again for TR03 it was fun game...
We all did very good job and had nice and early dom. victory with high score.
Oh i forgot to point a mistake we made again. We built Mil.Acad and Pentagon... First one you want to build when you have factories and coal plants it was a total 100% waste of shields and turns. Second is specific to situation and actually was more usefull since it allowed us to harden knights armies but in many cases is also isn't required.
Be very careful with building those in future.

Signing in, captain! We definitely need a river. I do like the one above, but having to move to get the river... :cry: Curraghs, Curraghs, and more Curraghs. And then Dromons (see Handy's Sid AW game...).

We have an inland lake SW in Mach's start. That will allow growth beyond 6. The only thing is that we have to settle on a Wheat. We could then mine (doh, irrigate) the other wheat. We still could move to the hill and get both wheats in 21-tile radius. The river commerce will still be on the tiles around the river.

Roster so far:
Minute Man
dman (in and out due to RL)
Mach
Bede (You're playing this one
Tubby Rower
idiot swordsman???

I'm not sure on the order. If someone has a preference speak now. I might not be able to play this weekend so if someone else wants to volunteer, I'm all ears.

Tubby Rower said:
Roster so far:
Minute Man
dman (in and out due to RL)
Mach
Bede (You're playing this one
Tubby Rower
idiot swordsman???

Now unless I'm the idiot swordsman... (wouldn't be surpised!).

Settle W on the hill, and send our first Settler to the river. 5CC so we'll want very optimal city placement to allow for later growth (Hospitals = essential, Shakey's = very nice bonus if we can pull it off).

Yeah, I think settler west is the only move on my start -- it keeps us on the coast and still on the lake. I wouldn't move to the river, because it loses us the coast. Irrigate the first wheat, mine the second.

I'm available to kick it off tonight, tub, if you want to place me first. But really I have no preference. :)

Edit: X-post with eldar. Hi eldar!

Oh sorry eldar. I thought I had already typed your name. :crazyeye: Oh well A-K will have to lurk or he could replace dman once works gets in the way...

Updated roster: (Also edited into first post
eldar <- super at starting sequence (remember don't pull a tubby, irrigate those cows!)
dman
MM
Mach <- upload save file for that beaut
Bede
Tubby <-crappy RNG...going out to purchase new one ;)

::EDIT::: X-post with Mach, I don't care who goes first. It's up to you guys. I don't think that I should so I don't mine any food bonuses.

Save is already uploaded, just click on the pic. :) A rare burst of foresight there, since I'm at work now, and won't be home for another 10hrs...

Yeah I figured that out just a second ago. The save and pic are in the first post too. What time zone are you in Mach, MDT? eldar is in the UK and will get home in a few hours. But I don't care. If you want to have a go at the first 20 we can wait.

I'm in Chicago. But I'm originally from New Jersey, thus 'flyover'. :) So I've had an Illini basketball hangover all week. :( But the weather's been really nice; you should come back and visit soon, tub. :)

I do love Chicago. I might bring the wife and offspring up sometime in the future. Chicago seems to be a city with a "small-town" feel. I think that is why I like it.

Top Bottom