Troubleshooting and F.A.Q.

I really like this mod but am frustrated by the game refusing to end turn at some point. The screen message says "waiting for other civs" endlessly but the old turn has not really ended because I can still do stuff like peek on a city or read the civopedia.

In the old version, I completed a couple of games, and some more did this in late stages. In my first game with the new version, the problem occurs at 710AD. I have tried setting the audioenable to 0. All my graphics options are at the lowest possible settings.

I have a Mac Ibook with the Intel Core 2 Duo processor and Intel GMA X3100 graphics.

Attaching saved game. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Salamasina AD-0700.CivBeyondSwordSave
    586 KB · Views: 118
  • Salamasina AD-0710.CivBeyondSwordSave
    588.6 KB · Views: 107
I really like this mod but am frustrated by the game refusing to end turn at some point. The screen message says "waiting for other civs" endlessly but the old turn has not really ended because I can still do stuff like peek on a city or read the civopedia.

In the old version, I completed a couple of games, and some more did this in late stages. In my first game with the new version, the problem occurs at 710AD. I have tried setting the audioenable to 0. All my graphics options are at the lowest possible settings.

I have a Mac Ibook with the Intel Core 2 Duo processor and Intel GMA X3100 graphics.

Attaching saved game. Any suggestions?

I found this error too on the Real Earth map. Not sure but I think it has to do with certain civilizations getting a tech or a building (or even wonder). It always happens to be around the time of the late Renaissance.

It's caused by a nasty bug in BTS where a unit gets stuck endlessly joining and leaving a group (though there may be other unit-related causes too). It can happen in unmodded BTS but is more common in mods for reasons not fully understood. Presumably because the AI has to deal with situations not anticipated by the designers. The only way to 'fix' a game where it has occurred is to find the unit that's about to bug and delete it before letting the AI have their turn. As you can imagine, that's much easier said than done, and there's no guarantee it won't happen again a bit later.

It does seem affect naval units more commonly than land units, and hidden nationality units seem to be much more prone to it. In most games of HR I've seen trapped in one of these endless loops, a Pirate or Privateer has been the culprit. Unfortunately I deleted all the Pirates in your game, Gilgalad, and then every naval unit but it didn't resolve the issue.

I'm actually considering removing the Pirate unit completely in 1.21. Combination of hidden nationality and coastal-only movement seems to be a tricky combination for the AI. Fixing the bug outright requires DLL changes which would break Mac compatibility.

There are some python exceptions which pop up if a dead civ's ID is used for a new one. I can't figure out how to fix them.

First pop-up to last:
IndexError: string index out of range
File "HR", line 125, in doCivicChecks
File "CvEventMananger", line 544, in onBeginPlayerTurn
File "BugEventManager", line 361, in_handleDefaultEvent

This happens every single turn after a civ is created using a dead civ's ID, such as through granting independence to cities on another continent, creating a civ with the new worldbuilder or having it spawn through an event, such as through the civil war event, which I've managed to get working so long as it occurs before any civs die. Not a huge priority to fix unless you'd be interested in the civil war event, as it seems to cause no noticeable issues (though it might affect civic effects being applied to the new civ) without python exceptions enabled, except for a white notice at the top of the screen every turn taking up three lines. Of course, annoying problem if someone liberates overseas cities, but I don't think people do that very often. Edit: I just saw an AI (Taizong) liberate some overseas cities in Japan. New leader? Tokugawa.

There are some python exceptions which pop up if a dead civ's ID is used for a new one. I can't figure out how to fix them.

First pop-up to last:
IndexError: string index out of range
File "HR", line 125, in doCivicChecks
File "CvEventMananger", line 544, in onBeginPlayerTurn
File "BugEventManager", line 361, in_handleDefaultEvent

This happens every single turn after a civ is created using a dead civ's ID, such as through granting independence to cities on another continent, creating a civ with the new worldbuilder or having it spawn through an event, such as through the civil war event, which I've managed to get working so long as it occurs before any civs die. Not a huge priority to fix unless you'd be interested in the civil war event, as it seems to cause no noticeable issues (though it might affect civic effects being applied to the new civ) without python exceptions enabled, except for a white notice at the top of the screen every turn taking up three lines. Of course, annoying problem if someone liberates overseas cities, but I don't think people do that very often.

I plan to revisit civil wars eventually. I know what's causing that problem though, try the attached files and see if it fixes it.

Attachments

• CivicsFix.zip
    22.7 KB · Views: 132
It's caused by a nasty bug in BTS where a unit gets stuck endlessly joining and leaving a group (though there may be other unit-related causes too). It can happen in unmodded BTS but is more common in mods for reasons not fully understood. Presumably because the AI has to deal with situations not anticipated by the designers. The only way to 'fix' a game where it has occurred is to find the unit that's about to bug and delete it before letting the AI have their turn. As you can imagine, that's much easier said than done, and there's no guarantee it won't happen again a bit later.

It does seem affect naval units more commonly than land units, and hidden nationality units seem to be much more prone to it. In most games of HR I've seen trapped in one of these endless loops, a Pirate or Privateer has been the culprit. Unfortunately I deleted all the Pirates in your game, Gilgalad, and then every naval unit but it didn't resolve the issue.

I'm actually considering removing the Pirate unit completely in 1.21. Combination of hidden nationality and coastal-only movement seems to be a tricky combination for the AI. Fixing the bug outright requires DLL changes which would break Mac compatibility.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

I'm having trouble downloading the mod from Atomic Gamer, do you have the mod on any other sites?

I'm having trouble downloading the mod from Atomic Gamer, do you have the mod on any other sites?

Not at the moment sorry.

Hi, Xyth. Having now downloaded this excellent mod, I'm noticing a couple of minor problems.

When I pillage an improvement, the improvement doesn't disappear.

When I press 'c' to centre the map on the selected unit, nothing happens.

Apart from that, I'm not experiencing any issues. This is a fabulous mod!

You can find a list of all keyboard shortcuts, changed or unchanged, in the Pedia. 'V' is the new key to centre on unit. (Think of it as 'view unit').

You can find a list of all keyboard shortcuts, changed or unchanged, in the Pedia. 'V' is the new key to centre on unit. (Think of it as 'view unit').

Thank you very much. Sorry, still getting up to speed on this excellent mod.

Originally Posted by tchristensen
"Has anyone reported a bug where on multiplayer, as each person logs in it reports they have a different version of the game? This is not the case because they are all copies of each other. You click yes or OK and the game seems to play fine."

Xyth: "Not sure where this error is popping up or why?
I've not had any reports of this, however there are some incompatibilities when doing cross-plaform multiplayer, caused by modular loading. I'm completely demodularizing HR for 1.19 to solve these. Your issue could perhaps be related."

I've had this happen as well. It pops up when you are joining someones game, when you reach the menu where you select your civ you will get a warning message saying players have different versions, you press "ok" and move on. It doesn't seem to cause any problems...

except maybe it does later...

I've had a bug that pops up usually sometime in the middle ages in multiplayer games, so after playing for quite awhile. That says Out Of Sync.

This seems to pop up after a player has diplomatic communication with an AI civ. Everyone can still play the game and move units, but strange things start happening.

My cultural border will envelope a city in my game, but not in another players game. Tho we can still move units on each others maps, and engage in diplomacy. It is very strange. I thought maybe it was connected to the "Different Versions" warning that appears at the start of every game.

Next time it happens I'll get you more info about the error message.

(Usually it can be fixed by everyone leaving the game, except the host, and then joining back in. But then it will usually pop up again in a turn or two.)

Firstly check that everyone has the exact same version of 1.20, including any patches or custom tweaks that might have been applied. Does this 'Different Versions' message appear if you start a game with just Macs or just Windows, or only with both?

We have 1.20.

But....

The Host is on windows, I am on a mac. Also we are playing with simultaneous turns. Could that do it?

I do not have the bug fix patch.

I will make sure everyone has it and we will try again

thanks Xyth. I really appreciate that your providing all this support for this mod. It's badass man

We all got the bug fix and it still didn't work :(

We are going to turn off simultaneous turns and start a new game.

I think it was getting to a point, where the Earth's civilizations had grown far to large, and with everyone conducting diplomacy and moving troops at the same time it was just too much to handle.

We all got the bug fix and it still didn't work :(

We are going to turn off simultaneous turns and start a new game.

I think it was getting to a point, where the Earth's civilizations had grown far to large, and with everyone conducting diplomacy and moving troops at the same time it was just too much to handle.

Have you ensured that everyone is running BTS 3.19? Is the 'Different Versions' message still happening? We have to solve or rule that out before we can do anything about the 'Out of Sync' error.

Top Bottom