Troubleshooting and F.A.Q.

Yes we all have BTS 3.19.

We are going to try again tomorrow evening. I'll let you know if anyone gets the "Different Versions" message.

Yes we all have BTS 3.19.

We are going to try again tomorrow evening. I'll let you know if anyone gets the "Different Versions" message.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Switching simultaneous turns off or on shouldn't make a difference to whether the OOS error recurs or not, but worth trying. OOS errors are tricky, they can be triggered by something that happen many turns ago but isn't detected till by BTS till later. Very tricky to solve too.

If you do get an OOS error in your new game, please post a saved game from several turns prior.

Hi,

First time posting here so might need a little guidance on how to correctly post these things..

I play this mod on my mac and absolutely love it, love the depth of the mod especially. I made a map myself and want to play it but I get all these errors when playing the map, right from the very first turn. This also happens with normal maps now, which kind of makes the game unplayable. Reinstalling the MOD did not help unfortunately. How can I handle these issues? I've attache the save file and a screenshot to clarify it.

If you need any additional info, please tell me and I will provide it for you. Many thanks in advance!

Regards,

Dirk

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-17 at 6.17.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-11-17 at 6.17.23 PM.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 171
  • AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    32.5 KB · Views: 191
Hi,

First time posting here so might need a little guidance on how to correctly post these things..

I play this mod on my mac and absolutely love it, love the depth of the mod especially. I made a map myself and want to play it but I get all these errors when playing the map, right from the very first turn. This also happens with normal maps now, which kind of makes the game unplayable. Reinstalling the MOD did not help unfortunately. How can I handle these issues? I've attache the save file and a screenshot to clarify it.

If you need any additional info, please tell me and I will provide it for you. Many thanks in advance!

Regards,

Dirk

First of all, make sure you have the 1.20 bugfix patch installed. That should clear up this bug for the included maps (for new games). Let me know if it doesn't. Unfortunately it probably won't fix the bug for your custom map or any game in which you've placed cities manually via the world builder. You'll have to wait till 1.21 for a fix for those.

First of all, make sure you have the 1.20 bugfix patch installed. That should clear up this bug for the included maps (for new games). Let me know if it doesn't. Unfortunately it probably won't fix the bug for your custom map or any game in which you've placed cities manually via the world builder. You'll have to wait till 1.21 for a fix for those.

Hi yeah I have the bugfix installed, and the problem is fixed for normal maps. But do you know where these event manager errors come from? And after installing the patch, can I now make a custom map for myself that will work?

When are you planning to release a 1.21 version?

Keep up the awesome work!

Hi yeah I have the bugfix installed, and the problem is fixed for normal maps. But do you know where these event manager errors come from? And after installing the patch, can I now make a custom map for myself that will work?

The most common cause of the error is placing cities via worldbuilder. Building a city in game triggers code that are necessary for various reasons, and this code is not always triggered in world builder. One workaround is to place settlers instead of cities, and use them to create the city before saving the map. Maps without pre-placed cities should be okay.

Another cause is saving a map in which players have predefined civics (i.e not the default in each category). I may have fixed this in the bugfix patch already though, I don't recall.

When are you planning to release a 1.21 version?

I want to release a beta as soon as possible, and the final version before the end of the year. I still have a lot to do though, and limited time to do it in, so this may be over-optimistic. Will do my best.

Hey, all.
So, I've recently picked History Rewritten back up after a brief affair with Rise of Mankind. I was about to start a new game and get back into this wonderful mod, when suddenly...

"Civilization IV Beyond the Sword has stopped working."

And then it all crashed to my desktop with no errors, no reports, nothing but that generic Windows window giving me the options to either close the game or search online for a solution before closing the game. I just shrugged this off as my computer being derpy, as it has been known to bug out and crash with Civ before. I loaded the mod up again and tried to start a new game again...only for it to crash a few seconds after I clicked to start, when it should be generating the map and doing its thing. A bit irked, I tried again. And again. And again. And once again. I began using a different civilization and different map settings each time in case it was just a specific thing causing the crash, but nothing worked.

This is really annoying because I can never remember a mod just crashing immediately after clicking the button to start the game, and I've never had this issue with the mod before. I haven't edited anything in the mod at all since the last time I played, but just in case I completely deleted the History Rewritten folder, re-downloaded it, and unzipped it straight to the Mods folder, making sure it wasn't double nested or suffering from some generic, common issue. The situation stayed exactly the same.

So, in summary, the game immediately crashes to the desktop after I click to start the game, no matter what civilization or map settings I have, in all of the various menus to start games, with no discernible cause. I'm certain it is an issue on my end, but I just can't figure out what that issue is.

Hmm, without any sort of crash report this will definitely be a tough one to solve. One thing to check is that you don't have anything in your Custom Assets folder that could be interfering. Also, have a browse through the pedia, see if any of the pages or entries there cause a crash or have other issues. If so, may give us some clues on where to look deeper.

Everything you suggested checking checks out A-O-K.

I tried to start a new game again to see if I was missing anything when it crashed, and I decided to take a look at what I assume is just Windows beings Windows:

Spoiler :

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Civ4BeyondSword.exe
Application Version: 3.1.9.0
Application Timestamp: 4a0c27e6
Fault Module Name: MSVCP71.dll
Fault Module Version: 7.10.3077.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 3e77eebb
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000078aa
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 8485
Additional Information 2: 84853502223d8164a31468861a7c3d71
Additional Information 3: a4ea
Additional Information 4: a4eacf9d27e5ee8cb3a70ac0035eb8ab

Not sure if any of that is useful, but it was there.

I'm having almost the exact problem as Comrade Angel. I just downloaded the mod today. It loads fine. I select Single Player and then Play a Scenario. It then lets me select a map, select a civilization, choose the difficulty and game speed. It then starts Initializing and somewhere between Initializing and Init Graphics, it pops up with the generic Windows message "Sid Meier's Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." and that's it, everything just closes. It doesn't matter which map I choose from the scenario list. It happens every time, except for once. One time (after several attempts) I chose "North America (Large)" with a Random Civ and it opened as the Aztecs. I've never been able to get it to open again. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, i5, 4GB RAM (3.86 usable), 64 bit operating system. I'm running Civ 4 Complete and it's patched to 3.19. I'm pretty sure I've got everything in the correct folders and named correctly. I'm far from an expert at all of this but other mods do load and run fine. Your mod looks great and I'd really love to figure out how to get this to run as well. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can you both confirm for me that the mod works (or doesn't) on random maps, i.e. via Single Player > Play Now! If it's crashing there as well then I'm at a bit of a loss, but if it's crashing only on the included real world maps then that suggests a few things to check.

Also, double check you've put HR in the correct Mods folder. It will NOT work from the one in MyDocuments, it has to be the same one as the mods that come with BTS. See the first few posts of this thread for more details.

I really have no idea what to say at this point.

I was going through all of my mods to see if any of them did the same thing as History Rewritten, and when I retried History Rewritten, the map generated and the game started just fine - I was the Swahili Empire on a duel-sized archipelago map. I'm going to try some more maps to see if it was just a random stroke of luck.

I did literally nothing to History Rewritten folder or anything in it, so this is really strange.

Ok, I finally managed to find the time to check this. Yes, it does work when I select a random map in Single Player, Play Now. It takes about 3 minutes to finish initializing, but eventually it does work. It's still not working when I go to Single Player, Play a Scenario.

Have you tried "Play Custom Scenario"? That's been working for me (though I'm on a Mac).

Okay, it's only crashing on scenarios. That's a vital clue. Is it crashing on any scenario, or just certain ones? Also, please confirm you've installed HR in the correct mods folder (as described in this thread). Almost all scenario issues are caused by installation in the wrong location, and I need to rule this out before proceeding. Post your install path if you're not sure.

I wasn't working in any of the scenarios, including custom ones. However, I dropped a couple of different maps into the Private Maps folder that I had from some other mods and now it's working just fine on those maps. It still won't work to Play a Scenario on any of the maps that came with the original mod when I downloaded it but it's working with no problems on the other maps that I added so I am basically all happy now. :)

Sorry for the delay.

I can confirm that the map generation I described was a total fluke - not another success since, just more desktop crashes on all settings, both custom games, scenarios, play now; it doesn't happen on any other mod.

Maybe something changed on my computer that just doesn't let it run History Rewritten (like it's using more RAM than usual or something)...that doesn't make my sense, though, considering I can run Caveman2Cosmos pretty well...

Very mysterious. Usually when BTS crashes there's a report available somewhere that describes threads and functions and the likes, and that gives me some clues about where the problem lies. I don't know a lot about Windows, but that brief crash report you posted earlier strikes me as something in Windows that caused BTS to crash. The .dll mentioned is a Windows component, not a part of BTS. Might be worth asking over in the Civ4 technical forums, someone there might know what it means.

Only other thing I can think of to try is temporarily removing the Civ4 folder in MyDocuments; BTS will create new default versions. Just in case there's something in one of the settings there that HR doesn't like for some reason. If it doesn't help, you can trash the newly created folder, and replace it with the old one. Longshot though I'm afraid :/

Thanks for the mod first of all.
Having a problem with the unit models: Somehow the ethnic variations only appear when i click on them, if not, axemen look like american indians, spearmen like crusaders, swordsmen like incas and so on. Its seems there mixed up. Ive only tried as germans and the netherlands so far. Im having the same problem on a windows and on a macbook pro.
please help

Top Bottom