Turn planning

:) I dl'd the presave and the tile southeast of the hill does indeed look like sand, but it appears the river goes East at that end of the hill.

I'll agree with what the majority decides.

What are you saying? you think it's coast? or that you think it's FP?

I'm saying the tile SE of the hill looks like it is sand. Could be desert, could be coast, heck, could be Flood Plain. All I'm saying is that it looks like sand. Plus I stated that I thought the river went East at the end of the hill, meaning it might not be effecting the sand-like tile.

I'm saying it is all conjecture. I'm saying I'll go with the flow, as I've stated all the facts I have and my opinion. Whatever.

I just checked on the editor, and that could still be either coast or FP, they look very similar.

I say we settle in place. There is no garuntee that we will even be coastal if we move again.

Too late for that. Y'all voted to move to the hill. The Ref will only allow the move that we made as it is a guranteed move. Presaves will no longer be allowed.

Or do you mean settle on the hill, where we are now? Because we have no other option.

EDIT: Well, let me rephrase that. We do have other options, but they would all take extra turns. I'm not sure we can afford any more turns before settling.

Yeah, I think we should settle on the hill.

I wonder how long that river is. Might be able to fit two more cities on it.

If that is a coastal tile, it would be some sort of bay, as the tile to its SW is has no sand. I am confident that it's a FP.

I created a new spread sheet. But everything within in the yellow part is of course based on assumptions.

And I have a question, as I am not sure about the calculation:

Have a look at turn 5. This turn the worker should finish irigating the wheat. What will be added to the food bin? 3 or 4 food units?

One problem I had with the move was that Aerie would be on a hill. Will that affect the Worker's ability to irrigate directly through the city? Or will it have to irigate the tile to the North first and then return to the Wheat?

It's a grassland tile. That's 2 food. The Wheat adds 2 food, that's 4fpt. Despotism penalty reduces that by 1, that's 3fpt. Irrigation increases that by 1, that's 4fpt total.

And I have a question, as I am not sure about the calculation:

Have a look at turn 5. This turn the worker should finish irigating the wheat. What will be added to the food bin? 3 or 4 food units?

Actually, on turn 4 we will get 4 food. If you right-click on a worker, and it says the worker will be done in 2 turns, then on that interturn the worker will complete his task before the citizen works the tile (in multiplayer only). We can spend our first 2 turns working the river BG and get an extra shield and extra coin for those 2 turns and still grow to size 2 at the same time.

I'm not sure about our first worker's moves after the wheat tile is improved - is that just based on the assumption that we will have ivory 3xNW of our capital like the previous start?

I also don't know if we have to be in that big a hurry to irrigate the flood plains before mining and roading the near BG. With this start (2 BGs in capital fat cross), I certainly wouldn't build more than one settler before the granary (and maybe not even one), and we will need those shields to get the granary built - we will grow to size 4.5 for our 4-turn settler factory long before we get the shields.

But I haven't actually tried spreadsheeting it, so take my comments with a grain of salt...

I built our start in the editor to check these things. Irrigating works, and on turn 5 we do get 4 food added to the box, since the worker finishes at the end of the turn, and food is collected at the beginning of the next turn. Though it's a moot point as the extra food gets wasted anyways.

I also checked to see if there was any difference that we could see between a coast tile and a flood plains tile. There was.

Flood plain:
Spoiler :

Coast:
Spoiler :

It looks like we'll get our 5 fpt after all.[party]

Attachments

• startFP.jpg
    startFP.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 403
  • startcoast.jpg
    startcoast.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 337
Good work, CharlemagneXLII. :thumbsup:

The effectiveness of a Granary is going to be very short lived, IMO. This is a very small map and we might be bumping borders with our neighbors in no time. If they decide to build 4 or 5 cities without going for a Granary, we could lose a decisive edge. Four or 5 good cities may be our Kingdom before all hell breaks loose. Just something to think about. On a small map with small landmasses, does a small kingdom require a Granary?

I decided to try my hand at spreadsheeting.
Spoiler :

Don't forget that this doesn't include anything prduced by city #2. The sheilds or food produced lines reflect the sheilds or food that will be produced for next turn, so what appears on the city screen on that turn could differ.

The first worker should mine the sugar after roading the grass. I still think the FP has priority so we can get to 5 fpt ASAP. Then we can mine the two BG tiles, and there we have 5 tiles for the capital to work.

My preferred build order: worker -> settler -> warrior -> warrior -> settler. The warriors are there to let the city grow to size 4 or 5 so we never go below size 2 and 5 fpt. The first one is for exploration, the other one is for military police, which is crucial for keeping up our science slider on emperor. Military police produces content faces, which are more efficient at dealing with unhappy labourers than the luxury slider is.

We aren't able to build a granary for a while, so I can't really speak to its usefulness down the road. There are probably small errors in the spreadsheet. (I found one on turn 14 in yours, Calis.) Is there a faster way to build 2 settlers while also maximizing science? (Keep in mind we have to put luxury at I think 50% for pop 5 with no MP.)

Attachments

• startspread.jpg
    startspread.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 325
Top Bottom