1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tusk1 - Ladies First

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Elephantium, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

We are supposed to switch of all research for 20 turns after we lose our GF. Which is why I turned it off.

2. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

OUCH, sorry about that. I missed that one in the rules. The boss man can decide how to correct this one.

3. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

Turn research off again for the next turnset, I think.

4. MrRandomGuy

MrRandomGuy Warlord

Already finished my turnset and didn't see that we had to turn research off. Sorry about that. This was an interesting turnset either way.

0: 1050 AD

Assesment:

Everything looks like it's running smoothly. France will fall soon. While we war France we need a small side project of planning an invasion wave on the other continent.

I'm thinking the best way to do this is load the invasion force near Osaka. The first wave should land in the hills northeast of Septum and capture it as it is a choke point. With Spain as an ally she can distract the forces northeast of Septum while we move the bulk of our forces west. From there we land another wave of forces where they are needed. With the kingdom divided she won't stand a chance. It also completely cuts off a supply of dyes to the core cities of her empire. The result of which will probably end up in a few of the larger cities experiencing disorder; BUT that's only if none of the cities in the area have a port by the time we get there.

For now though my focus lies with eliminating as much of France as possible.

1: 1060 AD

Rouen is captured and with it JS Bach's Cathedral. All 3 citizens resisting. Ugh. I decide to keep it because it's somewhat useful.

Loyns falls to our armies. With a settler in our stack and all citizens resisting I decide to abandon it and make a new city. Frenchie seems like a good name to stick it to the French people :)

3: 1080 AD

Chartes is captured.

6: 1110 AD

Grenoble falls

Benascon falls

IBT:

We research Economics. Metallurgy seems to be the best choice to research next.

7: 1120 AD

Change I Hated Her production from palace to Smith's.

8: 1130 AD

Dijon falls

Marseills falls

IBT:

Greece and Spain are now at peace.

9: 1140 AD

Avignon has fallen AND...

The French are still alive...........

This means that the caravel which fled from Avignon has a settler in it. Ugh. I search around the area and wonder if I could knock the caravel's health down with catapults. Luckily some are still near Benascon and I'm able to redline it! Now all I have to do is buy one in Chartres and hope it can sink the annoying buggar.

10: 1150 AD

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The caravel I bought didn't kill the French caravel. And it's now a veteran.

Summary

We did well this turnset by *almost* completely eliminating the French. There is a fleet of caravel by Osaka and troops moving to the fleet in order to launch an invasion force to the other continent.

The French have a lone caravel right by a conquered city that must have a settler in it. One of our caravels is a few turns west of it. If the French caravel does not move (it did not move last IBT) then we can probably completely eliminate the French within a couple of turns.

5. MrRandomGuy

MrRandomGuy Warlord

Forgot to add the save in my last post. Here it is.

Attached Files:

6. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Nice going. Looks like we will be able to keep that french caravel in permanent suspension by bombarding him. I wonder if its possible For cities to flip in this scenario. CAII shows a minor risk for our most recent conquests, although other ex french cities seem to be safe.

As for the research Madness, I had 6 turns of 0% research left when I finished my turnset and I would think we should do so now.

Also technically it would be within the rules to start a small scale crippling war on Spain to at least get rid of their city on our side of the continent and maybe try to erase Madrid with a tactical strike. The cultural pressure they exerct is much smaller now, but almost impossible to negate with garrisons, meaning sooner or later one of our cities is going to switch sides unless we negate that somehow.

7. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

So are you suggesting a trial seperation from our Spouse? :D

8. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

What I mean, is that I am really pissed of at the way she is always letting her female hygiene articles lying around and would like to vent that frustration in a short rant and maybe by accidently breaking that decorative plate which her mother gave us for the wedding, and which I could never stand anyway.

9. MrRandomGuy

MrRandomGuy Warlord

Save Spain for last. We're already preparing to attack the other continent. The wife will get hers when the time is right.

10. Elephantium

I'm also up in LK150, so I won't be able to get to this until the weekend.

11. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Do we want to deal with the unfound boyfriend before we solve the problem of our wife?

12. MrRandomGuy

MrRandomGuy Warlord

Wife is supposed to be the last to get the axe and we're supposed to attempt to get her to ally with us in wars.

If we do a short spat with the wife she could decide to keep the argument going when we want it to end.

13. Elephantium

I had kind of a disastrous turnset. I forgot to bring Spain in on the first turn of the Byzantine war, so then the Byzantines bought her in -- guess the Wife is mad about the fling!

Unfortunately, we only had a skeleton force on the Spanish border, so that quickly got overrun. Spain has taken Old Russia and part of Old England. I'm thinking we'll have to set up a defense line at the choke point in Old Egypt and reconquer our lost lands that way :(

Most of our army is overseas now; it'll take a few more turns to build up a proper response to Spain's tantrum.

Spoiler :
    I do a round of MM.

IBT -
    Alex wants to sell us The Republic for 630 gold. You're nuts, pretty boy.

Turn 1 - it's a simple matter of moving Samurai towards our ships.

IBT -

Besancon deposes us :mad:

Turn 2 - moving troops again...this time to retake Besancon.

IBT - zzz

Turn 3 - First Army of Samurai kills a Spear and then a MDI and retakes the city of Besancon. France is destroyed.

Goodbye, crush. We'll miss you.

I declare war on Byzantines and revolt to Anarchy.

IBT - Spain and Byzantines sign MA against us :eek:

Byz kills a Sword in Old France
    Conquistador seizes Yakutsk.
    Musket captures a slave stack W of Zaragoza. Luckily, our Wife doesn't destroy them.

Turn 4 -
    Bombard the Byz Knight who attacked our Sword.
    Lose 2 eSamurai and 1 vSam killing it. :(
    Sam Army kills Spanish Musket near Zara
    Ani: 1 hit, 1 miss from trebs
    eSam kills Spear, takes city.

IBT -

Spain kills the defender and captures Novgorod.
    She also captures a Worker in Old France.

This is turning into an EXPENSIVE spat. Isabella, dear, I love you dearly, but your temper is really getting out of hand!

Turn 5 -

I rush some defenders in Old Russia because we're desperately short on units.

First units land on the Byzantine mainland.

IBT -
    Spain takes Yaroslavl with a Conquistador.
    They lose one LB taking Bizen, with one A-Cav retreating (I'd hoped for more losses than that...)

Turn 6 -
    defense of New Kyoto: We lose 2 Samurai trying to kill 2 A-Cav - we only get one of them.

We sink a Spanish Caravel off our northwest coast.

Smyrna:
    Trebs only ping one Musket
    Army kills one
    Samurai barely kills the 3/4 one
    Samurai kills LB; city razed.
    We found New Satsuma near the ruins to be our staging point.

IBT -
    Rostov is captured by Spain :cry:
    Those Conquistadors REALLY hurt!
    They lose a couple of units on Hakodate, but they kill one of the Muskets I hurried there to defend.
    They lose a Knight on Moscow, promoting the defender to vet.

Turn 7 -

Zaragoza:
    One cat pings a defender
    One Samurai retreats
    Second one dies
    Sword dies

First Army of Samurai kills a Knight that Byz dropped in Old France.

IBT -
    St. Petersburg is captured by Conquistador
    Another retreats at Moscow
    Cav :eek: kills Musket at Hakodate
    A-Cav dies
    A-Cav dies
    A-Cav kills Horseman
    A-Cav kills redlined Musket and seizes Hakodate :(
    Ise falls to a Knight
    Toyama falls to A-Cav
    Another A-Cav attacks Moscow; retreats
    Knight kills Musket in Moscow
    A-Cav kills MDI and seizes Moscow
    Knight kills MDI in the open
    A-Cav dies on a Samurai and promotes him
    A-Cav dies on the same Samurai
    A-Cav captures Worker

Turn 8 -
    We lose a Samurai before we kill Spanish Knight left in the open.
    Samurai kills A-Cav in St. Petersburg
    Zaragoza: Bombardment doesn't help; Army kills one Musket.
    IBT -
    Cav kills Musket at York; city falls.
    A-Cav kills Samurai at St. Petersburg
    A-Cav kills Samurai near Toyama
    A-Cav destroys the city of New Nagoya.

Turn 9 -
    Grenoble: Redline Musket, lose Samurai before killing it with eSword.

Cats ping one Musket; Army kills 2 of them.
    Zaragoza is ours.

IBT -
    Conq destroys the city of Wales, near London
    Knight kills defender and seizes Shimonoseki. I had hoped the city would hold this turn - a Samurai was due to pop :mad:
    A-Cav retreats at London
    Knight dies on Samurai at Matsuyama
    A-Cav kills that Samurai and steals the city.

Turn 10 -

Nicaea:
    Trebs do nothing
    Army goes into the yellow killing one Musket

This shows how bad things are:

Attached Files:

14. LKendter

WOW - I've always fear the cascading city loss, but that is the first time I've seen it happen.

Are we now allowed to wipe out Spain, or do the rules still lock us into dealing with Byzantine first?

Roster:
    Elephantium - just played
    CommandoBob - UP!
    Kulko - on deck
    LKendter
    MrRandomGuy

15. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

The wife is the last woman to die, which means we need to put her on life support (one or two cities, easy to conquer) before we have our fling.

Got it.

16. MrRandomGuy

MrRandomGuy Warlord

Holy crap!

We have to change our plans significantly. Instead of conquering Byzantine next we need to remove Spain from our continent. I'm thinking we leave the lone Spanish city on the other continent alone while capturing all the rest.

After we conquer the Spanish homeland we can resume eliminating the Byzantine empire.

17. Elephantium

Thing is, it'll take half a turnset just to get our Byzantine force to the choke point. Meanwhile, we are building up forces in the core -- if we just send them up to the choke point, I think we can hold them there until we build enough to push the Wife back out of Old Russia. I'd much rather keep the forces active on the Byzantine continent!

Of course, we could make peace ASAP with the Wife and retake those cities once the Byzantines are gone. We're on ~turn 6 of the war, so that should be an option soon.

18. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

(Sorry for the delay. Holiday-lag, I think. :D)

Monarchy
    100% Tax
    000% Science
    000% Luxury

301 gold, +217 gpt

Physics in 12 turns.

City Builds
    • 09 Samurai
    • 09 Cannon
    • 13 Musket
    • 06 Harbor
    • 02 Temple
    • 01 Worker (Zaragoza)
    • 04 Caravel
    • 02 Courthourse
    • 01 Settler (Sado)
    • 01 Smith's Trading Company (I Hated Her) 6 turns to go
    • 01 Library (Memphis)
    • 01 Walls (Helipolis)

Resources
    01 Saltpeter
    04 Iron
    01 Horse

Luxury
    01 Furs
    04 Incense
    03 Spices
    02 Silks
    01 Gems

City Count
    50 Japan (Tusk1 People)
    10 Greece
    ?? Spain
    ?? Byzantium
    00 France The Crushed Crush
    00 Egypte The Gone-away Girlfriend
    00 Russia Our Late Lover
    00 England The Extinguished Ex

Military
    06 Settler
    06 Worker
    68 Slaves
    01 Warrior
    06 Archer
    02 Spear
    01 Swords
    01 Horse
    16 Pike
    04 Muskets
    09 Catapult
    16 Caravel
    03 Army (Samurai)
    38 Samurai
    04 Maces
    18 Trebuchet

Current Units: 131
    Allowed Units: 126
    Support Costs: 005 gpt

We are Strong compared to:
    1. Byzantium (Republic)
    2. Greece (Republic)

We are Average compared to:
    1. Spain (Anarchy)

We are Weak compared to:

1. No one alive

Wonder Races
    • Smith's Trading Company
      • I Hated Her, Japan
      • Barcelona, Spain
    • Shakespeare's Theater
      • Madrid, Spain
      • Byblos, Egypt
      • Rouen, France
    • Leonardo's Workshop
      • Helioplois, Egypt
      • Madrid, Spain

The Ladies of our Life
    We were too shy to talk to France and we got tired of trying to communicate non-verbally.
    Egypt was our girlfriend, but now is just an unpleasant memory.
    The love of our life, Russia is dead and our capital was razed in shame of this woeful bad choice of erotic blindness.
    Our Ex, the winter mistress of England, is now our Ex-Ex. I can't tell if this death has affected us or not.
    Spain is our wife. she is currently upset with us and throwing a hissy fit.
    Byzantium is our mid life fling. We gave her everything for 20 turns.

Notes
    We can build an embassy with Greece (56 of 302 gold) and see if he has enough backbone to fight Theodora.
    We can also make peace with Theodora, which might break her MA with Spain.

Our Saltpeter is found near Byblos, which is on an island and has a harbor. We won't lose that resource unless Spain builds a navy.
    Our Horses are near Canterbury, which is undefended and could fall this IBT.
    The Pyramids are in London, rMusket defending.
    We have plenty of Iron.

We need Iron to make Samurai and Saltpeter to make Muskets. We can do both.

We have eight remaining cities in Old England, with two rMuskets to defend them. Eleven slaves are at risk, too.

Pi-Ramsessese is also open to capture from forces in and around Shimonoseki.

I think we will lose all of our contiental cities north of Heliopolis. I think we can keep that city and stop the tantrum at that point and slowly relcaim what was ours, like the coffee pot and the TV remote control.

Elephantium captured Zaragoza on turn 9; we need to move forces out of it before it flips back to Spain.

We have an army in Rouen, healing. It will take it 3 turns to reach the Spanish Front.

We have most of our military overseas in Byzantium, ready to strike Nicaea. At the moment, I am inclined to take Nicaea, build our own coastal city nearby (we have 2 settlers in this stack), then sell off the improvments and abandon the city. Then move on to Naissus; conquer, sell and abandon; in order to relieve cultural pressure on our toe-hold cities here. But this is rather fuzzy at the moment.

We have three techs left in this age before we can get to Steam Power. Rails would make life so much easier right now.

Plans
    We need to stop the Spanish Senorita and her confounded Conquistadors at Heliopolis. It will be touch and go but if we can hold the city, or the mountains on our side of the city, we will begin the process to slowly reclaim what was once ours. For the next few turns, we have to stop the Spanish, which means most new units in the next few turns will be sent northward.

The units overseas will have to fend for themselves until the Spanish front is stablized. I think we can keep both wars going and, in time, push back against both foes. We need our boats to send troops overseas, so the Spanish campaign will be a just a land campaign.

We need to set up a ship chain to support our troops overseas. One may already be in place and I just did not see it.

The first few turns any new units will head to the Spanish front. Once it is stablizied, we will start shipping units overseas. Not many at first but by the end of the turnset I hope to have a 50-50 split of new units going to each front.

We have six turns to go on Smith's Trading Company. Spain might beat us there but I think we need to keep on building it. If we do not make, we can change to Palace. Butg let us see what happens first.

19. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

0 1250 AD

MM Nagasaki: Samurai in 1, not 2.
    Hire a geek in Fukushima.
    MM Satsuma: Samurai in 2, not 3.

The Ladies of our Life
    We got up enough courage to talk to France and the shock killed her.
    We were able to hold hands with Egypt and even able to talk to her, until her hands started to get into everything we did. Hand holding is fine; meddling is not. We stuck a frog down her throat.
    Russia was our lover; now she is not and we are very glad.
    England was our Ex.
    Spain is our wife and she is on the warpath, taking almost everything we got from Russia and England. The Stacking doll-in-a-doll-in-a-doll set has been shattered and put into the trash. She smashed all the fine china we 'recieved' from England, including both the Royal Worcester double-glazed Avignon china and Royal Doulton china with "the hand-painted periwinkles".
    Byzantium is our mid-life fling and we are trying to untangle oursevles from her. The wife somehow found out and that is has added to her rage. Byzantium can't believe we would go back to Spain when she (Theodora) is more sultry and more sensual.
    Greece we thought would be a lady-killer but it looks like he got infauated with Theodora and has given her control of some his cities.
    [IBT]
    Canterbury falls.
    Echizen falls.
    Slave east of Pi-Ramesses is captured.

Greek ships fight and sink something out of our line of sight.

Memphis: library -> barracks in 4.
    Heliopolis: walls -> barracsk in 20.
    Kagoshima: vSamurai -> vSamurai in 9.
    Nagasaki: vSamurai -> vSamurai in 12.
    We quiet 2 resistors in Zaragoza.
    Suo: cannon -> cannon in 10.

1 1255 AD

Not as bad as it could have been. I expected Pi-Ramesses to fall, too.

Trespassers
    vAC 1E of Pi-Ramesses.
    vAC 1E of London.
    vConquistador 1N of New Satsuma (hill) overseas.

Nicaea (11)
    Six rocks thrown and one hit.
    We pass and let our Army, at 5/13, heal.

Third Army, 9/13, moves from Rouen to the Spanish front. It can heal when it arrives.

Move out of Zaragoza.

Move 2 Pikes to the choke point 1N of Heliopolis.
    Move Archer and Musket into Pi-Ramesses.

If we can hold Pi-Ramesses this turn, which is iffy, we can reinforce it next turn and keep it ours.

Workers
    Spanish worker starts a tundra road in Old France.

We build French Fries on the ruins of some French city on their west coast. It is 10 tiles from here to Ani. Ani to New Satsuma is three more tiles. Start on a harbor.

Send 18 slaves to the mountain 1S of Kyoto, to road and mine.
    Send 3 workers to mountain 1E of Giza, to road and mine.

Rush rMusket in Hastings for 116 of 507 gold.
    MM Nagasaki; Samurai in 8, not 12, but no growth. City is at size 11, we can grow it up to size 12 later.
    Rush rMusket in London for 228 of 391 gold. I don't expect London to be attacked this IBT, not with undefended cities further north.
    Rush rMusket in Yekaterinburg for 144 of 163 gold. This city won't be attacked, either.
    [IBT]
    The wife wants to talk. Okay,
    She is upset about the cash we don't have. She feels we spent it foolishly (that is, we spent it and not her). She wants the rest of our bank account (19 gold) and 20% of our take home pay (41 gpt of 213 gpt). She only sees our current cash flow and forgets that she caused us to have to change our lifestyle in order to defend ourselves from her.
    We can't get back any of our possessions no matter how hard we try.
    We tell her to leave.

Omi is captured by Cavalry.
    Conquistador falls at New Satsuma (1 of 1).
    Pi-Ramesses survives 2 AC attacks (3 of 3).
    New Kagoshima is auto-razed.
    Hastings is captured by Cavlary. That rush was a waste.

London: rMusket -> rMusket in 60.
    Neo-Tokyo: temple -> harbor in 30.
    Osaka: vSamurai -> vSamurai in 6.
    Tokyo: vSamurai -> vSamurai in 5.
    Satsuma: vSamurai -> vSamurai in 7.
    Yekaterinburg: rMusket -> rMusket in 60.
    Nagoya: vSamurai -> vSamurai in 4.
    Fukushima: harbor -> cannon in 40.

2 Part One 1260 AD

Trespassers
    vAC 1E of Pi-Ramsesses.

Workers
    [IBT]
    The situation is not good.

Spain has Cavalry. We don't. We don't know the tech and we lack Horses. We lost Horses when Canterbury fell.

Samurai fighting Ancient Cavalry and Conquistadors is tough enough but can be done. Both of those units are 3.2.2 and we are 4.4.2. Cavalry are 6.3.3.

We can make peace with both Spain and Byzantium. Theodora will give us peace for peace. Spain wants 200 of 225 gold and 36 gpt of 198 gpt.

Spain is the tech leader. We are behind Physics and MilTrad. I think we need to deal with her (destroy her core somehow) before we go spanking Byzantium.

I am tempted to make the deal with Spain so that we can catch our breath, get smarter (Military Tradition and onwards to Steam Power in the Industrial Age, and perhaps even Replaceable Parts) and then begin to regain what we have lost. Make nicey-nice with the wife, lick our wounds, regain our strength and then pick up where we left off.

That is my reaction to the situation, but I am not sure it is the best reaction.

What does the team think about the situation?

The save is attached.

Attached Files:

20. LKendter

The rules only state that the wife DIES last. It doesn't care if we beat her up a lot.

My opinion is peace with Theodora. Withdraw all of our overseas troops. That is a auto-yes.

How far is Canterbury from the front lines? I can't tell from just text if we have a chance to grab it back before peace. One painful thing is getting GPT to Spain will increase her tech lead.

This may be a game where we NEED rails to win. The human play uses them far better then the AI. The AI doesn't understand a thin-net to shuttle troops real long distances.