1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Tut] Nifscope

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by The_Coyote, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

Thank you sir.

As the name implies its the warrior_fx nif but I did a nif swap from a germanic warrior i found in the forums (I think in VD).

2. The_Coyote

The_Coyote Emperor

was only a minor error (wrong texture assigment), while you removed the teamcolor texture you didn´t changed the slots

under: NiTexturingProperty you must make the unit texture NiSourceTexture the child of the base texture slot and deactivated unused texture slot, in your case base texture (and gloss texture) was still activated but with no assingned texture, and the unit texture was still assingned to the Decal 0 slot.

changing the unit texture assingment to base texture and deactivating the other two slot solved the problem. As remark you must edit the texture, the belt has transparency (normally the belt should be displayed in teamcolor) and without color the unit looks a bit sliced ;)

[or you make a real shader unit with teamcolor]

hope this steps are understandable :)

edit: attachment removed

3. Ekmek

4. Flintlock1415

Flintlock1415 Emperor

Hi Coyote, thanks for this tutorial! I've been able to swap guns out for units, so thank you!
    Unfortunately, I've run into a bit of a problem. I'm trying to attach a hat I made in blender to the head of a unit which has no hat. I tried it, but whatever I try the hat doesn't work with the animation. Is there an 'easy way' to attach the hat to my unit (i.e, short of doing it in Blender?)

Thanks!

5. Ekmek

i think you can put it on the head bone. but for me I stick with blender

6. Flintlock1415

Flintlock1415 Emperor

Weel, yeah, but how do I do that?

7. Ekmek

8. Flintlock1415

Flintlock1415 Emperor

Okay, I think I get it! Is there a way to do an 'in-game' view w/out using Sceneviewer? I hate having to fire up Civ just to position it right.

9. Ekmek

i dont use sceneviewer any more. i usually fire up the game. the nice thing with bts (but not col for some reason) is that in the civilopedia it wil reload a nif (but not XML). So if you edit a nif or texture just click to a different unit then back to your unit to look at the new changes.

10. Flintlock1415

Flintlock1415 Emperor

Does that work in game, like if I delete & replace the unit? I like to see if there is any clipping with the animation.

11. Ekmek

it works as long as it uses the same artdefines path as the xml. basically it only reloads the nif and texture files. not the xml.

12. Flintlock1415

Flintlock1415 Emperor

I tried it out, but it only seems to work if I exit to main menu and load up a new game. I guess it beats reloading the game though, thanks!

13. Ekmek

thats true for colonization but i used tgo do it with leaderheads no problem in Bts. maybe it only applies to LH :dunno:

14. The_Coyote

The_Coyote Emperor

i think i to remember refar said something like this in another thread. Also thanks for helping Ekmek.

A good option is to add an animation to the model in nifscope, some error can be seen already there (but save before adding the animation - if you save after the adding the animation information will be also saved in the nif [no idea if this can cuase trouble]). Some errors like not animated parts can be seen there - for other errors (like shader, etc) you will need to start the game

15. Flintlock1415

Flintlock1415 Emperor

Hello again, Coyote. I'm trying to make a mounted unit out of one that uses the rifleman animations. I want to make it use the Cavalry animations, but I'm not so sure how to work this out.

I trying using your tutorial to make a bone transplant between the two units, but I get an error saying it failed to map the BIP to Pelvis. Any ideas?
    Thanks for any help! :goodjob:

16. Ekmek

mounted units don't use BIP for the bone names they use Bip01 IIRC. you'll have to rename the BIP to the vbip01 in your unmounted unit then copy him over onto the cav guy. thats what i did for all the mare nostrum units.

17. Flintlock1415

Flintlock1415 Emperor

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out! I just needed to turn the pelvis into the spine.
    Thanks for helping! :goodjob:

18. The_Coyote

The_Coyote Emperor

again to late ;) thanks again Ekmek for helping and glad you could solve your problem Flintlock1415

19. Flintlock1415

Flintlock1415 Emperor

Okay, I've got another question (although its not a big problem.) How come when I do a bone transplant, and if I try to translate some bones around, they don't seem to move?

I transplanted the Cavalry rider over to the Rifleman's animations, and since I was missing one of the spine bones, the neck was stretched out and the spine was a bit curved. I changed that in nifskope, but in game there wasn't any difference. At Civ scale its not too noticeable, but I guess it could always look better. :)

20. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

It's because the unit is attached to an animation in-game. I learned that moving the bone around in NifSkope won't do much in-game.