[Tut] Nifscope

Most models I download from the web look good, but a handful have this "Gloss" look and no detail or just too shiny to see the detail.

see attached model of B-29 Superfortress.

Most models I download from the web look good, but a handful have this "Gloss" look and no detail or just too shiny to see the detail.

see attached model of B-29 Superfortress.

It could be that you are missing the .dds file that should manage the gloss effect. Do you have an example unit for download somewhere?

Hm, works for me with no problems in NifSkope. Do you have the same problem in-game or only with NifSkope? Have you opened the B-29 with other units already opened with NifSkope? NifSkope takes the folder of the first unit that is loaded as default folder and can therefore normally not find the .dds files of other units. They turn out white then. Further it is for the B-29 important that the Texture.dds and the Gloss.dds is in the same directory as the B29.nif file.

The problem is in NifSkope ... I have not tried in-game, because I assumed if it not right in NifSope it will not be in-game.

The problem is in NifSkope ... I have not tried in-game, because I assumed if it not right in NifSope it will not be in-game.

it should work in game. i guess some units are not compatible with nifskope, try it out

no need for this tutorial :confused: Believe it or not there are other things i could do in my free time. Also because i´m familar with this tool i have no idea if it understandable (the reason why i upload every new part), ...

btw v.03 uploaded
Guess the above was a serious misunderstanding :rotfl:! Thank God u have spare time for us NifN00bs, looks like I'll be busy for a while reading your tut... I'll be so ashamed if I find the answer to my Max 2009 problem in it... then I would've started the whole thread for nothing :blush:...

if i had thought this i hadn´t answered the questions and simply provide a link ;) - sometimes it can be better to give step by step introductions at the beginning (i can still remember how strange all of this was to me two years ago)

edit: updated the OP with a link to our fruitful thread - so at least he can´t vanish completly in the main forum

I downloaded pakbuild to unpak the files, then unpacked them to a folder on my desktop. when i opened the warrior nif, the guy was all white. The skin did not loead for some reason, and I amd wondereing why. Could somebody help me please?

@The Coyote
Hi,
I'm glad to know that nifscope 1.0.22 has UV scale/rotate :goodjob:

I'm still running the old 1.0.20 because of a issue about binormals/tangents (see below)
Using blender 2.49b / nifscript 2.4.12 / pyFFI 2.0.3, exporting a mesh from blender into nifscope, it has binormals/tangents :)confused:) arrays filled (while regular firaxis are empty instead). After a stripify/triangulate with nifscope 1.0.20 the arrays become empty; doing the same with 1.0.21 doesn't work instead.
There are no drawbacks with these arrays filled instead of empty, apart a significative increase of nif size.
Nonetheless, I will install 1.0.22 asap ;)

Attachments

• nif_issue.jpg
    nif_issue.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 133
@The Coyote
Hi,
I'm glad to know that nifscope 1.0.22 has UV scale/rotate :goodjob:

I'm still running the old 1.0.20 because of a issue about binormals/tangents (see below)
Using blender 2.49b / nifscript 2.4.12 / pyFFI 2.0.3, exporting a mesh from blender into nifscope, it has binormals/tangents :)confused:) arrays filled (while regular firaxis are empty instead). After a stripify/triangulate with nifscope 1.0.20 the arrays become empty; doing the same with 1.0.21 doesn't work instead.
There are no drawbacks with these arrays filled instead of empty, apart a significative increase of nif size.
Nonetheless, I will install 1.0.22 asap ;)

Binomials and tangents are (should - i don´t have the newest export scripts running atm) only created if you have the "export extra shader textures" activated. This options is only needed for leaderheads (they need binomials and tagents for the shader) - if you have a unit you can deselect it.

@The Coyote
Hi,
I'm glad to know that nifscope 1.0.22 has UV scale/rotate

I've just played a bit with these new UV functions, and they are OK. Unfortunately there
is no "mirror selected" UV function or I miss it somewhere? There is a previous existing "UV set -> Mesh -> Flip UV" function, but it does a mirror of the whole UV set. :(

I've just played a bit with these new UV functions, and they are OK. Unfortunately there
is no "mirror selected" UV function or I miss it somewhere? There is a previous existing "UV set -> Mesh -> Flip UV" function, but it does a mirror of the whole UV set. :(

try using negative values (and non uniform scale). A scale of -1 for x (or y) mirrors the selected part

Top Bottom