TuxLife

Well, I went with Tau Porcus because it followed the trend set by Delta Panzerus, where we use a Greek first letter corresponding to the first letter in the mod's name, then take the latter portion of the name and make it Latin. That creates a name that is more realistic and similar to real-world star names, like Epsilon Eriadni, Alpha Centauri and Tau Ceti.

At any rate, our stories on the first page were posted 10 minutes apart, so we both came up with the names at roughly the same time.

EDIT: Although your first post is edited, so I'm actually not sure if yours came 10 minutes before or 2 hours and 14 minutes later.

I don't mind either way. I specifically left it out of the opening story so that you guys could decide on it.

EDIT: That being said, I can confirm that I read Terrance888's story before Lord_Iggy posted his, and it contained the planet name at that time. However, Lord_Iggy's logic for the name is sound.

Spector : Lord_Iggy
Evolved from: Haptor
Gene added (You may only add 1 gene + any bonus):
Gene removed (optional, you may remove up to 1 gene): Sails, Eyes
Description: With Haptors, Indagators and Peregrinors dominating the world's floating photosynthetic niches, intense intracladistic competition drove further evolution. While the Indagator moved into colder waters, Peregrinors continued to occupy the purely photosynthetic temperate niche and Haptors found their population increasingly polarizing between active and passive predators. While the passive predators remained essentially unchanged from the ancestral Haptors, the more active predators gradually speciated into what are now known as Spectors. Several of the air sacs have been adapted into 'sails' which serve multiple purposes: firstly, they increase the photosynthetic surface area of the Spector; secondly, they can be angled to catch the wind and allow deliberate locomotion. Additionally, special pigmented cells located in bulbs around the edge of the Spector, derived from the basic photosynthetic cell, are able detect light, darkness and movement. This sensory information is transferred via a simple series of series of ducts that could be characterized as 'chemical ganglia' to the sails, which will then inflate, deflate or orient themselves so as to best follow or retreat from a stimulus.

Cool! :) Bear in mind that there are currently two Penguinskan forces in the system, both of which are currently unaware of each other.

Got sidetracked playing DF. Will begin working on update tomorrow at work.

It has been a little busier than I planned at work, here is some of what I have so far...

Do not overdo the art - I would not mind MS Paint art, as long as this keeps going :)

Awesome!

I second the two above. I also think simple artwork would be better all round. I know how hard it is to avoid getting more intricate, but I don't think any of us mind having flat-shaded blobs at this stage :)

Honesty, those aren't complicated. Most of what I do is done on top of older stuff as reference with changes based on what was changed in the stats. That poison spike is a copy paste from the original poison spike because it hasn't changed since it was added.

Additional work.

Well, my guys have shells now, so I hope they'll be alright :)

@ Milarqui - Just to be certain you saw it, you have a bonus gene you can use if you wish on that evolution. Also, even though it is the Clanessia Killing Zone and the Artropodia Clanessia is a dangerous foe, technically they still do not actively hunt, merely attack things that threaten them.

Oh, I didn't see that... Well, I'll put up something that will be useful.

Artropodia Clanessia : Milarqui
Genes: Eating Dead Things x1, Crawling x1, Plankton Eating x1, Poison Spike x1, Claws x1
Description: Moves along on ocean bottom eating the remains of the dead. The absorption of all sorts of plankton has slowly given them some sort of genetical immunity to poison, and at the same time they started to produce their own poison, developing on the way a spike to deliver that poison. The poison kills its prey very fast and accelerates putrefaction, so the Artropodia Nessia can soon eat dead meat, and while he waits he can eat plankton.

Artropodia Sufessia: Milarqui
Gene added: Water Retention x1, Simple Eyes x1
Description: Moves along the ocean bottom eating the remains of the dead, and its ancestor A. Milarca was also able to feed on the plankton that lives in the sea. Natural selection allowed the next ancestor of the Artropodia Sufessia (A. Nessia) to develop a poison that could be delivered through a spike and helped to kill other beings and cause putrefaction at a faster pace than it would normally. The A. Nessia's front legs evolved into a pair of claws, which increased the number of things it could kill, giving birth to the A. Clanessia. As the number of A. Clanessia specimens increased, they had to expand their hunting grounds, which forced many of them to attempt to live nearer to the surface. Amongst them soon sprouted a mutation, which allowed them to keep water within their hard bodies and allowed them to surface for very short periods of time. It was also around this time that something else appeared among them: a set of three eyes. These eyes were very simple, only able to detect light (cone cells), but it became fundamental to them, because it allowed them to find other beings far easier than before and thus be able to find his prey and his enemies.

Top Bottom