Undead Ritual

deadliver

Loud Mouth Amateur
You guys like rituals and have said you plan on adding as many as you can to the mod mod so I was thinking about the following (inspired by MoM of course).

1.) Zombie Mastery: units killed have a chance of coming back as undead units (either skeletons or diseased corpses?) OR allows extra undead to be summoned during the duration, like a mini and temporary version of the Tower of Necromancy. Could the return chance be based off of how much death mana the player has?

2.) Black Rituals: +:mad: and or :yuck:, grants Potency promotion to Arcane and Divine units during duration of ritual.

3.) Creeping Doom: a defensive ritual which damages enemy units in your territory. Also has a chance of pillaging your own improvements.

I think that mana based rituals (not just tech prereq) would be awesome and another reason to try to get as much as possible.

If the effects scaled in some way with the number of sources (like in your zombie mastery example, which I like - could produce units depending on the defeated enemy's strength/tier; say Skeletons with Weak for tier 0, skeletons for Tier 1, maybe Spectres for Tier 2 etc and have the chance depend on your death mana available), that would be a nice way to give another choice between diversification (more spells and rituals) and stacking one type (affinity bonuses, free spheres and better rituals).
Sun boosting farm outputs would work (though that also works for Nature or Creation). Nature or creation again could create forests in unimproved tiles, mind might further boost research (possibly just in the city which built the ritual) etc etc.

More boosting rituals would increase the possible downsides of Mana Burst (that might be the wrong name, I think I'm mixing it up with an MtG card) too - currently it basically just stops you from Cursing the Enemy and defending against their Curses at the same time, unless you happen to be doing Genesis, Oghma or similar. Plus the Compass has better synergy with a ritual-heavy strategy.

Definitely I would use rituals if they were available. I have just started getting used to the new ones these guys have added and it is cool! In my last game I raced to crush one of my enemies before he could get the Curse ritual off, awesome.

Vehem has posted that some (all?) rituals will have a limit to the number of times they can be used (or at least a cooldown).

I'd love to see at least one ritual per mana type if not more and I am glad the modders plan on expanding on this idea. This could be another type of city specialization as well.

A few more ideas:
1.) (Entropy)Entropic Lethargy-curses city/civ which loses production.
2.) (Chaos)Warped Curse-curses city/civ making all new units start with not so beneficial mutation
3.) (Water)Create River-if it is possible to target tiles this ritual would allow the civ to terraform a river, one tile at a time.
4.) (Metamagic) Transmutation-temporarily change one mana type into another
5.) (Earth) Quake-Wrack the enemy territory with earthquakes, potentially destroying improvements (and perhaps damaging units in hills?

Another cool idea could be to have rituals that summon related units from mana nodes i.e. Fire elementals from fire nodes, skellies/corpses/specters from death, and so on.

Lethargy is actually far more fitting as an Ice Sphere ritual.

Not a huge fans of the mutations. It would be cool if you make enemy civs spells have a high chance to miscast. That could be either Chaos or Metamagic, or maybe require both.

Not sure how Create River would work. I do think that creating river would be a nice possible miscast outcome of spring.

Tranmustation doesn't seem very good. The Matamagic II spell is better.

Quake may be too similar to the Runewarden spell. It doesn't fit the "physchlogical" meaning of the sphere either.

Yeah you are right I was thinking about the Ice sphere. Technically entropy does deal with energy but most of the time it is used to represent chaos or weird dimensional stuff.

I'll think up of some more ideas later, thanks for the input MC.

Sweet so Entropy rituals could foment unhappiness or perhaps a negative promotion?

4.) (Metamagic) Transmutation-temporarily change one mana type into another

Since the Metamagic II spell can essentially do that already, why not have it permanently change all mana nodes into a random type? Maybe all mana nodes outside your borders? That could have a big effect for diplomacy if you hit someone with Entropy or Death...hmm, maybe a permanent change would be too strong since you can't pillage nodes.

Top Bottom