1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit Request Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Unit Graphics' started by Jennar, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Nutty

Nutty Deity

It's not quite the same, but would the EarlyFighter Generic here do? Perhaps with a simple reskin? There are a couple of skins for the Gladiator. Were you looking for a RAF version?

2. Firebug

Firebug Not-so Great Engineer

i can reskin that fighter generic. Thanks!

3. bane_

bane_ Howardianism High-Priest

I have a few requests, no fantasy this time:

- A geisha
    - Some kind of biwa player or other kind of ancient/classical musician
    - A carrobalista (if they don't look good, as I was told it probably won't, disregard)

4. Typhlomence

Typhlomence Magical Tomomo

Funny you should mention this - I downloaded it myself yesterday because I needed a model of a woman in traditional Japanese dress.

If you let me know what unit it will be, I can pick out a suitable skeleton (and keep the props that come from the vanilla unit if they are needed).

5. bane_

Cool coincidence.
    It will be a Great Artist replacement, no combat moves needed.

6. senshidenshi

senshidenshi Switched the Red and Blue channels

Would it be possible to have this Korean Cannon unit converted? It isn't ideal for the unit, but it's close enough :p

7. RoxyRiku94

RoxyRiku94 Detective Agent

May I hop on the train, too? I'm still requesting the Great Saiyaman UU as a Model, but a Geisha would surely work nicely for the Kabuki Dancer (for a possible future civ)!

8. onmy6

onmy6 Prince

I have a request a "Trojan Horse" for Greece in my mod, it'll be an uber unit that can only be used once and never again idea being that it will be able to take any city with ease but when deployed it will disappear, doesn't need actions or anything can just stand there when it attacks and the city will be conquered :)

EDIT: Actually while we're at it Napoleon as in Bonaparte would be cool too as a replacement General for France, thanks man

9. Typhlomence

Here is the Geisha rigged to one of the female Settler skeletons. I've tested it ingame and it appears to work fine, though the arms look a bit odd because of the sleeves.

It uses a clapping animation though when it is consumed, however, so if you want something different, let me know (I used this specific skeleton since the person wasn't holding anything). It's not a big deal if you would prefer something else, since I'll have to edit the model some more for my purposes anyway.

10. bane_

I haven't tested it yet, so I don't know if I will like it or not, but what are the other options for the consume action?
    Also, how do you force the consume animation in Lua? Is there a way to do that?

11. Typhlomence

Well, without switching around which animations are used for what (which I could try), basically you could pick the animation of any model used in a Great Person unit. Of course, a lot of the Great People models are holding things, which might make some animations look wrong if I don't include the object. I'm not sure how well the Geisha's dress will work if I rig it to a male model's skeleton - I'll have to see.
    I don't think it's possible. What did you want to happen, though?

EDIT: I decided to play around with the Geisha a bit more - I fixed the model up a bit, and modified the animations. The Settler model I rigged the Geisha model to has an animation for sitting down, which I think works well (somehow) for the Geisha, so I got the model to use that for the "consume" action. I also added the glow and sound effect that usually appear when you use up a Great Person - I had neglected to add that before. The link is the same as before.

Here's a quick three shots of how it looks if you want to see before downloading it:

12. onmy6

onmy6 Prince

that would make a great spy unit for japan in my mod is it free to use?

13. bane_

@onmy6 Sure it is.

@typhlomence Hohohohoh, that is WONDERFUL! About your question, though, I want to make the unit to perform the consume animation when I perform a custom mission that consumes it. Unfortunately, at this point, I'm only able to use the Kill() method to remove the unit, because I don't know - if it even exist - the method for consuming (thought I would find something in PushMission() or something similar, but didn't).

Also, I think the sitting down animation is fitting and adequate.

14. RoxyRiku94

RoxyRiku94 Detective Agent

E&D has an Event which causes the Great Artist to directly push the GWoA mission:
    Code:
    pPlayer:InitUnit(GameInfoTypes["UNIT_ARTIST"], pPlayer:GetCapitalCity():GetX(), pPlayer:GetCapitalCity():GetY()):PushMission(GameInfoTypes["MISSION_CREATE_GREAT_WORK"])
    Change the MISSION_CREATE_GREAT_WORK to the mission you want to use and assign it to your Lua Coding.

15. bane_

Huh, sounds obvious enough so I might've missed, as always.
    Thanks.

16. Nomad or What

Nomad or What Wayfarer Supporter

Nicely done! The sitting down animation is fantastic, and more female units are always welcome ;)

17. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

Would it be possible to make this unit work as a Great Musician?

18. Typhlomence

Of course. :)

I'm glad you like it!

The sitting down animation is one of the existing ones for "settlers_afri_f4" (i.e. one of the female African Settler models), normally used for fortifying (I think). I used that one as the skeleton and I just changed the "build" animation code to use it instead of the original clapping animation. I can't claim credit for making it. :p

The model also has a bit of an issue with the kimono and feet - there aren't a lot of vertices to play with on the leg part of the kimono, and there are no legs on the feet, so technically you can see the "top" of her disembodied legs when she's running. This probably isn't that obvious when in game, though, so I'm not in a hurry to fix it.

I have at least one more female unit model that I'll need for one of my upcoming civs - while I'll be editing it like I will with the Geisha model when I get around to it, I might release whichever one I use as the base as well, so we can have some more female units out there (the end result will probably be something only my civ can really use, unless you want a girl with anime proportions ;)). When I have time I'll put the Geisha into the downloads database so it's more easily found.

19. onmy6

onmy6 Prince

Thanks man Unit looks amazing bane btw :goodjob:

20. bane_

Stealing credit since 1990.

@onmy6 You're very kind, but you should thank Typhlomence, as I've done absolutely nothing. ;)