Unit requests thread

I think I have seen some penguins once, but I do not know, where to find them.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently modding BTS - Rise Of Mankind on my own amateur and alternative way.
I know there is thousands of infos, tutorials, and comments everywhere since about 2006, but to be honest so far, a couldn't find the right info about two things:
(maybe, because it is too basic or I was just blind...???)

Anyway, the 1st: From the original xxx.nif file how can I make an xxx_fx.nif for team colouring in NifSkope (! not in other viewers)? What exactly I have to modify for this? I successfully attached a NiAlphaProperty, and saved as something_fx.nif but the unit in game now looks like a zentai fetish member in associated full body team colour. :)
Actually, there is a terminator unit with no <shadernif>. I think you know what I am talking about.

My other question regarding almost the same topic is:
How can I make a part of the body skin an alpha for team colouring in Photoshop where the alpha is already used for blending? Shall I make some changes in .nif file as well with NifSkope?
I attached a NifSkope screenshot about what I mean. You can see the boat deck railing, what is alpha blended. The green colour on the smokestack is my teamcolour but it is as a part of the skin without alpha. And I need this with alpha for all team colour association keeping up with blended boat deck railing. :))

Guys, sorry for my amateur time-consuming questions, If anyone can give me a clear step by step answer I would really really appreciate it. :bowdown:

p.max

Sorry, the picture...

Attachments

• Clipboard04.jpg
    Clipboard04.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 120
Hello everyone,

I'm currently modding BTS - Rise Of Mankind on my own amateur and alternative way.
I know there is thousands of infos, tutorials, and comments everywhere since about 2006, but to be honest so far, a couldn't find the right info about two things:
(maybe, because it is too basic or I was just blind...???)

Anyway, the 1st: From the original xxx.nif file how can I make an xxx_fx.nif for team colouring in NifSkope (! not in other viewers)? What exactly I have to modify for this? I successfully attached a NiAlphaProperty, and saved as something_fx.nif but the unit in game now looks like a zentai fetish member in associated full body team colour. :)
Actually, there is a terminator unit with no <shadernif>. I think you know what I am talking about.

My other question regarding almost the same topic is:
How can I make a part of the body skin an alpha for team colouring in Photoshop where the alpha is already used for blending? Shall I make some changes in .nif file as well with NifSkope?
I attached a NifSkope screenshot about what I mean. You can see the boat deck railing, what is alpha blended. The green colour on the smokestack is my teamcolour but it is as a part of the skin without alpha. And I need this with alpha for all team colour association keeping up with blended boat deck railing. :))

Guys, sorry for my amateur time-consuming questions, If anyone can give me a clear step by step answer I would really really appreciate it. :bowdown:

p.max
First of, this tutorial thread has a very good collection of links to post and tutorials concerning NifSkope, it should become very handy for you. :)

Now to the questions: To change a non-shader unit (xxx.nif) to a shader unit (xxx_fx.nif), you will have to change the meshes of the unit according to this description. However, it is not necessary to go to a shader unit if you just want to add teamcolour. This brings us to the second question.

Each mesh of a unit uses the alpha channel either for teamcolouring or transparency. You cannot have both for a single mesh, you will need to divide this mesh with Blender (or another 3D modeling program) in that case. For how to set a mesh to teamcolour or transparency, again consult this description.

I hope this will help you further. :)

Hi SaibotLieh,

Wow, great! It was a very quick and absolutely helpful response!! :thumbsup::hatsoff:

OK, I'm going to learn everything you suggested.

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

:thanx: Prof,

p.max

:thumbsup: [civ4] :bts: THE BEST

Hi SaibotLieh,

Wow, great! It was a very quick and absolutely helpful response!! :thumbsup::hatsoff:

OK, I'm going to learn everything you suggested.

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

:thanx: Prof,

p.max

:thumbsup: [civ4] :bts: THE BEST
Thanks, you are welcome. :)

I am in search of a unit which uses a staff or similar weapon. If anyone knows of any I would appreciative.

The default longbowman uses staff-fighting animations, so I'm sure someone's made a staff unit. Search for 'staff' in the downloads database and you might find something...I'd do it myself but I'm using my phone

Thank you very much - I rememdered there has been a request once, but I thought it was never answered. Now I see I was wrong.
I think any kind of football player will do (the face is not that important). Maybe the great scientist animations (with some kind Cup instead of the laborytory flask) would be great.

Conserning the female version it is difficoult to find an image, because there were no female atletes in ancient greek. Perhaps there is a roman settler female settler unit were a Laurel wreath can be added to make her a champion. (the one from this pack may do).
And the female modern one, I think something like Steffi Graf or another tennis player could be fine. I am not sure which animations could fit for this, maybe the ancient great artist. I think, it is not so important, but if she has a tenis racket it would be fine. all of this sounds like much work, I hope it is not to much for you.
Sorry, took a while, but here you go:
Spoiler :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=23141

Enjoy! :)

Hi,

After a few days of study in 'Civ Fanatics Modding Forum University' with prof.SaibotLieh,
I successfully finished teamcoloring and reskinning some units. :D
(See Clipboard02.jpg)
If anyone have interested in this, I can upload it - of course ;)

But before I could think my 'modding express' is unstoppable, I found two another creations which I really can't deal with, so I need some further assistance. :confused:

1. Clipboard03.jpg - called 'Light Anti-Air Gun' : In NifSkope, how can I make the shadow around it smaller? I have read plenty of tutorials about unit modding and I figured out there is a hidden artillery in the .nif because it is a fusion of two. After I switched on the hidden part in NifSc tried to delete the artillery and keep only that part which the Gun might need but the shadow around it was still visible.

2. Clipboard05.jpg - called Flak 88 Cannon : Lovely, in 'idle' position, no enemies, but after about 15-20 sec. some smoke coming up like the unit would have been damaged. How can I organise the smoke in the right time?

I would really appreciate any :help:.

Regards,
ProjectMax.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Clipboard05.jpg
    Clipboard05.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 114
And just in case the two mentioned units...

Attachments

• LightAA.zip
    90.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Flak88.zip
    168.7 KB · Views: 51
Hi,

After a few days of study in 'Civ Fanatics Modding Forum University' with prof.SaibotLieh,
I successfully finished teamcoloring and reskinning some units. :D
(See Clipboard02.jpg)
If anyone have interested in this, I can upload it - of course ;)
Hey,

glad to see that you are making good progress. :goodjob:

If you like, I am sure nobody will complain if you upload your finished units to the civfanatics database. ;)

To your questions:
But before I could think my 'modding express' is unstoppable, I found two another creations which I really can't deal with, so I need some further assistance. :confused:

1. Clipboard03.jpg - called 'Light Anti-Air Gun' : In NifSkope, how can I make the shadow around it smaller? I have read plenty of tutorials about unit modding and I figured out there is a hidden artillery in the .nif because it is a fusion of two. After I switched on the hidden part in NifSc tried to delete the artillery and keep only that part which the Gun might need but the shadow around it was still visible.
The shadow is not defined in the nif file, but in the Civ4ArtDefines_Units.xml file. In the entry for your unit, you will have to change the number in the red maked line:
Code:
			<ShadowDef>
				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/TankShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
				<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
				[COLOR="Red"]<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>[/COLOR]
			</ShadowDef>
2. Clipboard05.jpg - called Flak 88 Cannon : Lovely, in 'idle' position, no enemies, but after about 15-20 sec. some smoke coming up like the unit would have been damaged. How can I organise the smoke in the right time?
To fix this, you can just remove the ATTACHABLE_DAMAGE_SMOKE node in the nif file. Since the unit does not have any "damage" kf files (like for example the Tank has), there is no damaged version of the unit and therefore no need for the smoke.

Creating the animation for a damaged version should be possible, but will be a rather advanced operation (which I have not done so far).

Thank you very much Saibot, that was great help for me. :hatsoff:
Something like eye opener. :eek:

I don't need to animate units, because - fingers crossed - most of them use existing animations from the basic CIV4 game or from Rise of Mankind mode - I think. And I'm absolutely happy with this one (I mean the Gun) as it is. :goodjob:

My project is quite individual and it is a full mix of reality with my own ideological or historical fictions such as some flags and nations like Scandinavia or Indoguinea for example. :crazyeye:
Once it is finished I will definitely share and during my modding progress I can upload units one by one as well.

Actually my non-human and future units will be uniformed (like a huge chess boardgame in a complex environment). All civilizations will use the same teamcoloured units, but some of them (such as 'special' units) will use their individual specifications behind my uniformisation. With this method I can save a lot of time (what is always not enough), and I can pick up the best looking unit mesh of each unit type and create my own design on it if necessary. It is still will be a huge challenge because of the human units. So this is the way how I want to put 46 (!) civilizations onto Giant Earth Map in Rise of Mankind. :woohoo::yeah:

I don't know how long time I need for this project, but every little help I will greatly appreciate.
:thanx: again.

ProjectMax

Top Bottom