1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit requests thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Thunderfall, Feb 5, 2006.

1. ProjectMaximus

ProjectMaximus Chieftain

...and The Strategic Bomber by ProjectMax. :)

Attached Files:

2. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Hey,

glad to see that you are making good progress. :goodjob:

If you like, I am sure nobody will complain if you upload your finished units to the civfanatics database. ;)

To your questions:
    The shadow is not defined in the nif file, but in the Civ4ArtDefines_Units.xml file. In the entry for your unit, you will have to change the number in the red maked line:
    Code:
    			<ShadowDef>
    				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/TankShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
    				<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
    				[COLOR="Red"]<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>[/COLOR]
    			</ShadowDef>

To fix this, you can just remove the ATTACHABLE_DAMAGE_SMOKE node in the nif file. Since the unit does not have any "damage" kf files (like for example the Tank has), there is no damaged version of the unit and therefore no need for the smoke.

Creating the animation for a damaged version should be possible, but will be a rather advanced operation (which I have not done so far).

3. ProjectMaximus

ProjectMaximus Chieftain

Thank you very much Saibot, that was great help for me. :hatsoff:
    Something like eye opener. :eek:

I don't need to animate units, because - fingers crossed - most of them use existing animations from the basic CIV4 game or from Rise of Mankind mode - I think. And I'm absolutely happy with this one (I mean the Gun) as it is. :goodjob:

My project is quite individual and it is a full mix of reality with my own ideological or historical fictions such as some flags and nations like Scandinavia or Indoguinea for example. :crazyeye:
    Once it is finished I will definitely share and during my modding progress I can upload units one by one as well.

Actually my non-human and future units will be uniformed (like a huge chess boardgame in a complex environment). All civilizations will use the same teamcoloured units, but some of them (such as 'special' units) will use their individual specifications behind my uniformisation. With this method I can save a lot of time (what is always not enough), and I can pick up the best looking unit mesh of each unit type and create my own design on it if necessary. It is still will be a huge challenge because of the human units. So this is the way how I want to put 46 (!) civilizations onto Giant Earth Map in Rise of Mankind. :woohoo::yeah:

I don't know how long time I need for this project, but every little help I will greatly appreciate.
    :thanx: again.

ProjectMax

4. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Sounds like quite a big project, but these can be the most fun to make. ;)

Since it is so big, I would say it is even more worthwile to upload created units (or other features). The feedback you can get this way should help you further and can also be a motivation boost at times. :)

5. Kathy

Kathy Prince

I think this is a very interesting idea, but unfortunately I am not skilled with animations. Nevertheless, I would be interested to do a variety of the chariot archer using there models. So if I could have the men, the sledge and the dogs I can try to add them to the animations. In this case, only the archer will be animated, but maybe this is a start to find someone to make the dogs move, too.

6. Medikus

Medikus Chieftain

Hey,

I have a question about creating the art for a new unit for a civilizaton.

In the game, when you click on a unit and then you go elsewhere on the map,
    you can still see your unit in a small circle on the dim.
    Which file in the sidmeier/assets/art/interface or sidmeier/assets/art/unit is it for that special picture?

Thank you

7. clanky4

clanky4 Emperor

its the unit's button. Which is generally located in Art/Interface/Buttons/Units

8. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

hi,

i hope someone can help me and create some thark units for my barsoom mod, they are like in the john carter movie.

6 armed green warriors :)

9. Yak1978

Yak1978 Chieftain

Hi guys

May I ask if anyone knows of any Battlestar Galactica units I could download and incorporate in the space mods for Civ4?

I've searched around and found nothing, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Many thanks

10. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

bsg? nice :)

i suggest - get star trek mod + babylon 5 mod, both have tons of tons of space ship units - you can adapt some models to bsg if you get no help.

i hope to see a bsg mod :)

11. Cole98

Cole98 AKA CerebralPolicy

12. Spillsandstains

Spillsandstains Warlord

Hi, I've been trying to do a weapon swap on the vanilla archer, but the melee combat animation was wrong whatever I did - has anyone managed it successfully to save me a bit of time? I was trying to replace the knives they use with a club in the right hand to create some Neolithic braves

13. Gundam Strike

Gundam Strike Chieftain

Hi there

I would really love to see more mecha units in CIV4 as the modern age is my favourite time, now I do wonder if somebody would be able to do anything with these models, found on turobsquid.

Thx in advance

Attached Files:

14. clanky4

clanky4 Emperor

Mr. House is still best securitron

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=23189

15. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

The knifes of the archer unit are a bit of a special case since they have a NiSkinInstance, which most of the other weapons don't have. A swap should work if you remove the whole NiTriShape node of the knifes from the Archer_Skinned_Knives node and copy&paste the whole NiTriShape node of the new weapon into the Archer_Skinned_Knives node.

16. clanky4

clanky4 Emperor

Post the models. On an unrelated note anyone know of any units that use a whip?

17. LunarMongoose

LunarMongoose King

SaibotLieh's Beastmaster. It's a Great General you attach to an animal unit. Even comes with a better whip sound effect than the vanilla one. :)

18. clanky4

clanky4 Emperor

Thank you :D that did the trick.

19. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Someone could do some unit conversions from other games.

I first was trying to convert units from Anno 2070. While its txture is in dds its mesh is in a weird format called .rdm. And from my search into the Anno modding community looks like it cannot be converted from .rdm to a more useful format like .3ds or .obj. Only converted from them into .rdm. So for them I guess the request is making units that look like they are from Anno 2070. Specifically the cool looking future ships.

The other game units I want converted are from Starcraft 2. There are many models available online. However they are in a 3D mesh format called .m3

Luckily there are converters for 3D Studio max and Blender. I went the Blender route and even downloaded the latest version. It apparently works to import and export to .3ds format.

I used NIFSkope to import the .3ds mesh, but neither Blender or NIFSkope seem to show to show the texture. So now I am stuck not knowing how to add textures to the mesh in Blender and/or NIFSkope.

Any help on how to do it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :goodjob:

20. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Does the mesh has a NiTexturingProperty node in NIFSkope? If so, check if its NiSourceTexture points to the right file.