Unofficial Patch 0.21 Released

They are in your /Beyond The Sword/CvGameCoreDLL folder. The patch updates the SDK files along with all of the assets.

Right, but the problem is that it a) overwrites the original files and b) installs "backups" of the original files, but they're actually installed with the patch, not backed up from the originals.

I want the original SDK files--not the UP versions. And I want them from Firaxis--not the UP installer. Yes, I could trust that grumbler packaged virgin copies of the SDK files to be installed as backups, and for myself I'd be happy to. Since I'm going to ship this software as part of BUG for others to use (and trust), I want to make absolutely sure I get them from Firaxis.

Isn't the easiest way just to do another install of BtS, and then patch that installation? If I understand correctly what I've read from other posters, parallel installations like that are possible.

Right, but the problem is that it a) overwrites the original files and b) installs "backups" of the original files, but they're actually installed with the patch, not backed up from the originals.

I want the original SDK files--not the UP versions. And I want them from Firaxis--not the UP installer. Yes, I could trust that grumbler packaged virgin copies of the SDK files to be installed as backups, and for myself I'd be happy to. Since I'm going to ship this software as part of BUG for others to use (and trust), I want to make absolutely sure I get them from Firaxis.

Ah, I see your problem now, I wasn't aware that the Unofficial Patch installs its modified SDK files directly in the CvGameCoreDLL folder. My suggestion would be the same as PieceofMind: reinstall and repatch.

Alternatively, let me know which files the Unofficial Patch changes and I will send you the original BtS SDK 3.17 files via email. I have the Unofficial Patch installed in my mod but I didn't use the installer so my CvGameCoreDLL folder still contains the originals. PM me your email address and the list of files you need if you are interested.

Cheers,
ripple01

When you install the UP with BUG, you should not install any of the UP Python files--only the DLL and XML.

Oh ok, just take out everything that's not the dll/xml. I'm running it as a Mod, which directories do I take out.

Remove Assets/Python. All the UP Python fixes are also in BUG.

Anyone know why upon installing the 50 civ version of the patch all custom maps/scenarios crash?

Whether using 8, 15, 30 or more civs the game never loads and just crashing to windows with the generic report this error to Microsoft. However random maps work fine with any number of civs.

This one bug keeps annoying the heck out of me: When I click on a sleeping/fortified unit (want to check stats or whatever) on the next turn the game comes back to that unit as if I had woken it up during the normal unit cycle. This requires that I wake the unit up, and then re-sleep it.

[*]The old sea-patrol/withdraw can of worms. ;) Proposed fixes late in the topic (such as post 199)

What if pillaging requires the unit have not attacked and/or have blitz? It alters the gameplay slightly (prevents units from attacking, withdrawing, and then pillaging for the heck of it), but it fixes this problem. Conversely, pillaging could mark a unit as having attacked and prevent the reverse (pillaging and then attacking with mounted units).

When I click on a sleeping/fortified unit (want to check stats or whatever) on the next turn the game comes back to that unit as if I had woken it up during the normal unit cycle.

How do you skip to the next unit after checking the sleeping unit's stats? If you hit space, you are giving it the "hold" order which wakes it up, clearing its mission. Instead, hit W (wait) which doesn't alter its mission.

How do you skip to the next unit after checking the sleeping unit's stats? If you hit space, you are giving it the "hold" order which wakes it up, clearing its mission. Instead, hit W (wait) which doesn't alter its mission.
I normally hit space, yes. For a sleeping unit, this shouldn't be considered changing it's order. But the part that definitely is a bug is when the unit is activated again (like on the next turn) the unit appears to still be sleeping. That is, unless one uses the keyboard command, one has to wake the unit, and then re-sleep the unit.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but I have some minor visual trouble using patch 3.17 v 0.21:

Terrain turns dark (looking like mud) at some point, typically after I spoke to another leader. It disappears when I save and reload but this is kind of annoying.

Known issue, I remember the same thing happened with not-updated-official-patch-3.13 (the updated version was fine, I'm close to reinstalling it).
Or was it in the totally patch-free version of BTS? Dunno but still, have seen that happening before.

Oh, one thing I noticed while updating my mod: In the default game, when you build research (or do any of the other commerces), it doesn't get enhanced by +% buildings. That is, if you build research, the benefit of libraries and so on is not counted in.

Not exactly a bug, but I think it's an oversight.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but I have some minor visual trouble using patch 3.17 v 0.21:

Terrain turns dark (looking like mud) at some point, typically after I spoke to another leader. It disappears when I save and reload but this is kind of annoying.

Known issue, I remember the same thing happened with not-updated-official-patch-3.13 (the updated version was fine, I'm close to reinstalling it).
Or was it in the totally patch-free version of BTS? Dunno but still, have seen that happening before.

This happens on the lower end video cards for all versions of Civ4. It has nothing to do with the unoficial patch. Usually it happens after playing for a couple of hours. I used to always get it, until I updated my video card. Like you say it's not a big issue, as you just reload and it goes away. Reinstalling to get rid of the unoficial patch wol't fix it for you though...

Oh, one thing I noticed while updating my mod: In the default game, when you build research (or do any of the other commerces), it doesn't get enhanced by +% buildings. That is, if you build research, the benefit of libraries and so on is not counted in.

I'm not sure it was an oversight, considering hammer multipliers do apply when building research. This leads to the Hammer Economy which TheMeInTeam often advocates, where forges will boost your science production rather than libraries! Of course, the advantage of using the forge and building research is that with just the hammer buildings you can build the three commerce types (not including :espionage: unfortunately) as well as units and wonders as necessary i.e. flexibility. It makes choice of improvements easier too.

Actually its by design.

In earlier models only the Banks/Libraries counted, then the switched them to only the production multipliers counting.

I'm not sure it was an oversight, considering hammer multipliers do apply when building research. This leads to the Hammer Economy which TheMeInTeam often advocates, where forges will boost your science production rather than libraries! Of course, the advantage of using the forge and building research is that with just the hammer buildings you can build the three commerce types (not including :espionage: unfortunately) as well as units and wonders as necessary i.e. flexibility. It makes choice of improvements easier too.

Not being able to build espionage also seems to be an oversight. One that's very easy to fix, though making it not show up in no-espionage games might require a bit of a hack, even if it would still get converted to culture normally. Wait, the no-espionage option is a hack anyway, so *shrug*.

You'll have to give me more information on this hammer economy, though. I would think that if a city produces, say, 20 commerce and 20 hammers, that a library (60 hammers) would pay itself off in 12 turns (+60 beakers to offset the 60 hammer cost), and keeps generating "free" beakers after that point, while all of the other turns can be spent building other improvements to increase the city's output.

Re the hammer economy, I'm not the best one to be asking. I suspect many would prefer to not call it an economy at all - it's more a way of generating beakers or gold through cities that are focused on hammers (perhaps in between turns of building units).

Spoiler :
By the way, I think you assumed the science slider was at 100% which is not typical of course. Also, 20:commerce: and 20:hammers: is an already pretty developed city. What happens if you try a 5:hammers:, 5:commerce: city?

12 turns to build library. After library is built, 48 turns to pay itself off.
Turn 12: 12*5:science:, library built. (start building research)
Turn 60: 12*5:science: + 48*5*1.25:science: + 48*5:science: = 600:science:

Without building the library:
Turn 60: 60*5:science: + 60*5:science: = 600:science:

Re the hammer economy, I'm not the best one to be asking. I suspect many would prefer to not call it an economy at all - it's more a way of generating beakers or gold through cities that are focused on hammers (perhaps in between turns of building units).

Spoiler :
By the way, I think you assumed the science slider was at 100% which is not typical of course. Also, 20:commerce: and 20:hammers: is an already pretty developed city. What happens if you try a 5:hammers:, 5:commerce: city?

12 turns to build library. After library is built, 48 turns to pay itself off.
Turn 12: 12*5:science:, library built. (start building research)
Turn 60: 12*5:science: + 48*5*1.25:science: + 48*5:science: = 600:science:

Without building the library:
Turn 60: 60*5:science: + 60*5:science: = 600:science:

60 turns to pay itself off, though it's likely to have grown a bit since and after that point... It still sounds like a bad payoff. Unfortunately there's only so many +hammer buildings (forge, factory, power, the last two which come fairly late). I'd want to keep the hammer multiplier and the commerce modifier. If that's too powerful lower the hammer to commerce conversion. 1:hammers: does not necessarily equal 1:commerce:

Top Bottom