Vassals

Putmalk - just want to tell you how much more interesting this makes my game. Have the 3/8 version, and after reaching the 1800's on a marathon, huge map game, I have two vassals - Askia and Pocatello. Beat both of them down to 2 cities before they capitulated. :)

Pocatello hates me, so I heavily tax him. Am sure it galls him to keep supporting me when I get attacked! Askia seems content with my rule, so I lowered his taxes down to zero, and periodically give him techs so his military and infrastructure stay current. When two civs (Siam and Russia) DoW'd me, I was able to leave them to Askia to run rampant, so I could focus my attentions on Elizabeth - who was bribed by Atilla to backstab me and attack from the other direction!

I know: cool story, bro! But wanted to share how this adds fresh strategic options to a great collection of mods (I must use half the recommended list along w EUI CBP).

- Erikose

I really, really love to hear this and I'm so happy you're having a good experience!

Yeah I really like this new taxing system it's a way for me to get back at my bad Vassals. I have Korea as my Vassal, he's 10 techs ahead of me and he's already in Industrial era when I just got into Renaissances. He hates my guts, proposes open door policies all on my city state allies, competes with me in building wonders and wins. Just totally drives me nuts. Only reason I'm keeping him is because his land is a buffer zone between me and the all conquering Ottomans. I'm very tempted to DoW on Ottomans so he can just reck Korea haha. Anyways getting off topic, yeah I just tax Korea everytime he tries to piss me off, it's soo satisfying. :)

Question about a Vassal, is your Vassal able to achieve a Science Victory? I mentioned in the previous post that Korea is 10 techs ahead of me, and we're getting close to the atomic era. Just wondering if I should start worrying about him starting to build spaceships.

Question about a Vassal, is your Vassal able to achieve a Science Victory? I mentioned in the previous post that Korea is 10 techs ahead of me, and we're getting close to the atomic era. Just wondering if I should start worrying about him starting to build spaceships.

Yes they can. There's no restriction for Vassals and VCs except domination, IIRC.

G

Yes, and actually it's rather encouraged. The point of becoming a vassal is protection. If you're going for a Cultural or Science victory, it makes sense to have a master because you are safe from attack and others DoWing you. On the flip side, it is impossible to be the host of the World Congress, and Domination victory requires you to kill your master. So, being a Vassal naturally leads you towards those two victory conditions.

Maybe I'll edit the Grand strategy AI to have a priority change if it's been a vassal for too long.

Yes, and actually it's rather encouraged. The point of becoming a vassal is protection. If you're going for a Cultural or Science victory, it makes sense to have a master because you are safe from attack and others DoWing you. On the flip side, it is impossible to be the host of the World Congress, and Domination victory requires you to kill your master. So, being a Vassal naturally leads you towards those two victory conditions.

Maybe I'll edit the Grand strategy AI to have a priority change if it's been a vassal for too long.

I think it is already set to zero out conquest GS valuation if a vassal, but if not, that'd be a good idea.

G

Thanks, interesting point about the cultural and science victory I never thought of that. In that case I think I may have to liberate Korea and then take them out by force.

Putmalk:

Will the CP-only version of the mod be compatible with EUI? From what I read in the EUI thread, I got the impression that you preferred not to use it and I wondered if maybe you wouldn't be working with it. Also on the subject of compatibility, will this play nicely with JFD's suite of mods?

Putmalk:

Will the CP-only version of the mod be compatible with EUI? From what I read in the EUI thread, I got the impression that you preferred not to use it and I wondered if maybe you wouldn't be working with it. Also on the subject of compatibility, will this play nicely with JFD's suite of mods?

No I'd say it's not. I don't really develop for EUI. Don't particularly like it, plus it's not a mod, it installs into my game directory and I'd just rather not have it. I don't know what I need to do to make it compatible other than try to copy the EUI compatible file and see, but I just haven't gone around to doing it.

If someone else wants to take a crack at it, I'm fine, otherwise I'll get around to it when I can. EUI is just not a high priority for me.

I've just noticed something in my game, as soon as I reach the Medieval era the vassal overview button duplicates itself.
I'm running the complete CP/CBP/EUI package so more than likely a quirk in the EUI Lua.
Not sure if the vassal overview is ONLY supposed to be seen upon entering that era, or something at that stage triggers another instance.

I've just noticed something in my game, as soon as I reach the Medieval era the vassal overview button duplicates itself.
I'm running the complete CP/CBP/EUI package so more than likely a quirk in the EUI Lua.
Not sure if the vassal overview is ONLY supposed to be seen upon entering that era, or something at that stage triggers another instance.

Yea the button should not appear before then.

So I'm not 100% sure on this, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the reason why you're seeing two vassalage overview buttons is that it's working as intended, for Non-EUI.

It looks like anything in the normal vanilla "Overview" dropdown is rendered as a button for EUI. In Non-EUI, "Vassalage Overview" appears in that dropdown, but does NOT appear next to Espionage Overview until you are a vassal, or you create them yourself.

It would appear that EUI needs to disable the "optional" vassalage button...

If you want to test my theory (I can't really test EUI because I refuse to install it when I realized it goes directly into my Civ 5 SteamApps folder), go ahead and edit DiploCorner.lua in Documents/MyGames/Civ 5/MODS/(6a) CBP EUI - to say:

Code:
function CheckVassalageStarted()
	function TestVassalageStarted()
		local player = Players[Game.GetActivePlayer()];
		local team = Teams[player:GetTeam()];
		return (team:GetCurrentEra() >= Game.GetVassalageEnabledEra()) or team:IsVassalOfSomeone();
	end

[B]local bVassalStarted = false[/B]; --change here
	Controls.VassalButton:SetHide(not bVassalStarted);
	if(bVassalStarted) then
		DoUpdateVassalButton();
	end
end

Made that edit but the initial Vassalage button still exists. I haven't yet played through to medieval, I'll report back on whether it duplicates but if I shouldn't be seeing the initial instance, the fix lies elsewhere.

Let me know. You could also start the game in Medieval and tell me :)

The change I made was to make the one that appears after medieval never show up.

You'll be glad to know that that change stops the 2nd instance from appearing.

What the principle of vassalage? I suggest another civilization, so I became a vassal. I do not put forward any counterclaims. But that civilization denies me! :sad::sad::sad:

What the principle of vassalage? I suggest another civilization, so I became a vassal. I do not put forward any counterclaims. But that civilization denies me! :sad::sad::sad:

Becoming a vassal incurs a cost on the master, so maybe they didn't want to take that. I don't remember specifics, I can check out the deal evaluation at some point.

Do the masters (of vassals) feel an obligation to protect their vassals ?
I mean, more so than simply being at war with the same civs.

Hi all, I love vassalage mod but it seems to easy to get it . With huge map, 22 AI and 14 CityState, level "King", I finally have the 90% of living nation as my vassal and .. game over. With a difficult level more high, is it more difficult ho have vassal ?- Many thanks.

This is what I've heard, I think the vassalage evaluation maybe bugged but I'm unsure. Do you have a save I can use? Hoping you are only using CBP + Non-EUI otherwise saves aren't much use to me.

Really just need a reproducible set of steps.

Top Bottom