1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vassals

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Putmalk, Feb 8, 2016.

1. cononderbee

cononderbee Chieftain

Something that happened in my latest game--not sure if it is a bug or just overlooked as it's an uncommon occurrence.

Playing as JFD's Great Britain (Victoria), I've vassalled The Huns and Persia. I declare war on Venice, but didn't realise he had a defensive pact with Denmark and Germany. Not a problem because I have a Persian buffer between my conquered cities and Denmark--the only thing is, Persia and The Huns are only at war with Venice (and it's city-state allies), not the other members of the defensive pact.

I can see that being intended, but to my mind if any nation declares war on me for any reason then they're also at war with my vassals--in an earlier war Portugal attacked the Huns, for example. So it was unexpected for Persia and The Huns to only be "partly involved" in the war.

I did try to talk to Persia to get them to declare war on Denmark but their name was greyed out with the text "diplomatic events prevent this action from being taken." I'm assuming that's because you can't get your vassal to declare war without being involved yourself, which makes sense--just thought I'd mentioned it in case there was some other diplo weirdness involved here.

2. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Thank you guys, I've recorded it. I'm pretty busy so I will do my best at some point to get around to this!

3. xkander

xkander Chieftain

Hi all, I just noticed the double vassalage button after entering medieval era, but I don't know if this fix works (not yet tried)...

Anyway, I'd like to know if there's some description (either wiki or wordpress, excluding Civilopedia) about vassalage, which I suppose be part of CBP.

4. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

I've created a wiki but haven't filled it out yet.

5. Jdoug312

Jdoug312 Warlord

Hey Put, is there a balance reason for vassalage starting in the Medieval Era, or was that a carryover from Civ 4 (never played it), and could you instruct me of what code I'd need to implement to change it to the Ancient Era?

6. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

There's a line in NewColumns.sql that should allow you to change it. Or you could do an sql command that overwrites that one (as long as its loaded in after that file).

7. Jdoug312

Jdoug312 Warlord

Awesome, and the sql command will allow me to keep that change in effect even when you update the mod, correct?

8. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

No when I update the mod it'll go back to what I've set it as. May i suggest a one line modmod?

9. Jdoug312

Jdoug312 Warlord

Ah, I see. How would I go about creating that?

10. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

It's a little involved. You need to create a mod buddy mod, create an sql file in it, copy my line, set it to ERA_ANCIENT, add the sql via UpdateDatabase, and then set my mod (Community Patch whatever) as a dependency to your modmod. Then you'll be good to go once that all works.

C&C should be able to help

11. Jdoug312

Jdoug312 Warlord

Thanks for the info!

12. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Just to be clear, c4df should be a dependency for modmod (as in it loads first), not the other way around (as my previous post may have insinuated.

13. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

You could also drop the SQL line in the compatibility files for the CPP and it'll change C4DF.

G

14. Jdoug312

Jdoug312 Warlord

Good to know! Would this also need to be updated each time you update CPP?

15. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Yes, as it would overwrite whatever edits you make to the value. So long-term the most sure is a modmod, but if you are't comfortable with modbuddy, this (or editing C4DF) is a fair alternative.

G

16. Jdoug312

Jdoug312 Warlord

Cool, I'm to ask around and see if someone can make the modmod for me, otherwise I'll do this!

17. Jdoug312

Jdoug312 Warlord

So I changed the sql line to ERA_ANCIENT instead of ERA_MEDIEVAL, and started a new game. However, when engaging in peace talks with civs, capitulation is still grayed out, saying that I still need to be in the medieval era.

18. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

That may be a DLL bug then - try Classical and tell me if the still happens. It may be that the event "entered Ancient era" doesn't actually fire.,thus you never get eligible for vassalage.

19. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

Not a bug as such. As you start in the Ancient era (with agriculture) you never enter it, so the game never detects this as an era change, so the event never fires.

Same reason you don't get a splash screen for entering the Ancient Era as the game starts up.

20. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

This was my thought as well - any suggestion for an elegant way to handle this?