Very quick noob SG

With a few swords, axes, and cats, I'm sure we could take the french. We just need to make sure that JC doesn't get ticked off and fight. If we have praet coming at us while we're fighting louis, we'll be in trouble.

Unfortunately, Yellow dot doesn't block anybody, but it would be a great city. Happyness and commerce - two GEMS.

But this is where my inexperience comes in - we have a tech lead (at least on our island), and our economy isn't THAT bad, but how long do we wait to found the cities? I guess we could build up a few more military while we strengthen our economy...

By Turnis I think you mean Toledo... and Serville > Seville.... right?

Green Dot... only found much much much later. It just doesn't bring anything to bear for us. I'd even be willing to never found on Green!
Brown Dot... would be a better city one north of your current dot. Plus it will seal off better with our culture borders.
Yellow Dot... Solid dot location is better then hollow dot. Being on the river is nice for hooking into the trade network right away, but you'd lose the benefit of the gems by founding on them (the improvement related ones). I'm not 100% against it tho.
PInk Dot I'll have to think on. Not good conversation there yet.

More later when I process! (and great progress in that turnset)

Guys, sorry for the short (nonexistent) notice, but I can't complete my turn this weekend, and am leaving town for a while early next week. I'm afraid you're going to have to count me out of the order for this time and the next time at least. In fact, it'd probably be best to find a replacement player.

I'll still check in and give my two cents, fear not:mischief:.

Sorry once again, and good luck.

Sorry to hear that nitro. You're wecome to take some turns later when you are back, if you would like.

So, the the roster looks like:

player 1: Maquis -----
player 2: bpierfy ----- just played
player 3: nitroduckie - skip until ??
player 4: GreyFox --- UP
player 5: bobrath ---- On deck

I think I may be able to get another player in if needed, somone PM'd me about joining in a few days ago. I'll get in contact with them, to see if they want to join up.

GreyFox, if you don't take your turn for the full 48 hrs, that's fine. We've been running along at a fast pace, so I'm not too worried at this point.

I Got it. I think I will play sometime in the next 12 hours.

Yes, bobrath, I meant Toledo, why did I call it Turnis? They are totally unrelated! :crazyeye: and yes yes, serville or seville, whatever, I speak no spannish :blush:

I was taking a quick look through, and I say we are doing well.

JC has a tech we don't have (yet): Maths.

Our GNP is still too low, so, are we going for the Colossus in Barcelona?

I think the Colossus would be a good idea. We have 4 towns now with water tiles (Barcelona, Cordoba, Toledo, and Hurrian) The extra commerce could really add up. Plus, I think Barcelona can build it quickly, the forge is due in a couple turns, and then you could kick it off right away. Might even be a chance to pull out the :whipped: if necessary.

Inherited Turn (50 AD)
I thought, well, maybe I should try the autologger.
If you guys don't like it, let me know
and I will revert to me original style of reporting
Seville grows: 7

Turn 1 (75 AD)
Seville finishes: Spearman

Turn 2 (100 AD)
Seville begins: Library
Madrid finishes: Library
Cordoba grows: 5

Turn 3 (125 AD)
Madrid begins: Settler
I MM the city for mazimum food + hammer, reduce the settler from 8 to 7 turns.
Yeah, big deal.

Turn 4 (150 AD)
Mahavira (Great Prophet) born in Madrid
Barcelona grows: 8
Barcelona's borders expand
Barcelona finishes: Forge
Cordoba finishes: Galley

Turn 5 (175 AD)
Barcelona begins: The Colossus
Cordoba begins: Archer
Tech learned: Mathematics
Cordoba grows: 6
Hurrian's borders expand
I moved the archer fortified in Cordoba to the galley.
I think there should be units in the galley in case there is a hut
or something in the isle

Turn 6 (200 AD)
Research begun: Construction -> to get capault.
The french are really getting on my nerves!! argh! [pissed]
There dare push one more city into our border! :gripe:
Seville finishes: Library
Cordoba finishes: Archer
Taoism founded in a distant land
Buddhism has spread: Rome (Roman Empire)

Turn 7 (225 AD)
Seville begins: Swordsman
Cordoba begins: Library
Toledo grows: 2

Turn 8 (250 AD)
Barcelona finishes: The Colossus with a single chop and copper, this is fast! :hammer:

Now, sweet extra commerce for all water tiles!
Seville finishes: Swordsman
Hurrian finishes: Granary

Turn 9 (275 AD)
Barcelona begins: Library
Hurrian begins: Lighthouse
Madrid finishes: Settler
Seville grows: 8
Hurrian grows: 2
Toledo's borders expand

Turn 10 (300 AD)
Madrid begins: Archer
I have MM'ed back Madrid to balance on hammers and gold,
but the next player better check.

After-Turn Notes
The french are really pissing me off.
Not only do they settle close to us,
their cultural expansion (with Loius' creative triat) is maddening!!!!
I say we take them out. :mad:

The western isle.
As mentioned, the galley (circled red) has an archer in it,
so if need be, it can be unloaded to pop huts.

WIth the Colossus, our GNP standings improved by one position.
We are last in Approval and Life Expectancy though

I have created a few millitary units in the eastern borders, if need be, we can take the french.

Workers are basically trying to road to the ex-barbie town (Hurrian).
I have added some cottages, and farms.

I did not use the :whipped: in my turnset, so all cities can be whipped by next player if need be.
I suggest whipping Hurrian to get the lighthouse, and Barcelona to get the library.

At the last turn, Seville has one angry pop, suggest whipping a temple.

Here is the save:

This is bpierfy, and my new screen name....

Good set of turns. The question is, do we want to take the french, or the west isle - or both? What is the French special unit and when does it come (do they have musketeer?)

I would recommend getting the west isle partly settled first. Looks like some real good cities there. Meanwhile, we build some cats and take france after at least two settlers have made it west...

Of course, that would totally neglect infrastructure and our economy would plummet again...

I wonder if take care not to whip after this next round of infra (the library, lighthouse, etc..) if our economy would pick back up? Do we have enough to settle the west island and still run 60-70%? I wouldn't worry about taking the french and hurting the economy because pillaging would fund deficit research for a few turns.

I have been on the fence if we want to take the French out. I know he is friendly with Rome, and I don't think we can take them both on at the same time. We're 4 techs away from guilds, which would give us our UU (Conquistadors) At that point we may want to look at trying to clear our continent...

A war would really help our economy. Also, Paris has the Pyramids, which would be a nice prize.

French's UU is the musketeer, I don't think they are that advance yet. They don't even have swordman. I say bust them, baby, bust them!

As for Conquistadors, don't forget we have NO HORSES :eek:! Ifailed to recall if the french control any horses, if they do, one more reason to nust them. But there seems to be no horses in our continent, IIRC. (What kind of map script is that!!!)

I always seems to forget the roster:

player 1: Maquis ----- On Deck
player 2: bpierfy ----- morphing into oldbustedjorn
player 3: nitroduckie - skip until ??
player 4: GreyFox ---- played
player 5: bobrath ---- UP

Ok, I took a peek at the save, and your're right, there aren't any horses (that we see) anywhere on our continent. So I guess there is no point in waiting to tech to our UU... I'd say we take it to Loius sooner rather than later. Let's just hope that doesn't mean JC starts breathing down our neck.

I'd say Tours is our nantural first target, since it's putting the most pressure on our borders. Are we planning on razing some of the cities?

I think it would be good to plan on conquering our Island if possible because they are weaker than us. Lets not neglect the west island though - but I don't think it is first priority necessarily.

France first before they get gunpowder (we have some time). JC second, as soon as we get conquistadors to nullify praets.

I haven't had a chance to look at our economy, but how are we doing since we got the colossus? What's our % and gpt? If we are stable enough, I would start the :hammer: very soon. Three cats, three swords (as long as they don't have longbows), maybe some elephants? If we had a few archers around our borders, I would suggest going right for Paris - what do you think?

I would rather not raze any city unless it is really useless. If it is the city unkeep that one is worried about, we can always MM the city to maximum comerce and later to produce wealth. It beats producing a settler later and buidling from scratch.

I also suggest taking out Tours, Rheims and Paris at least. The southern cities may be left alne to serve as a buffer against JC if we are not planing on taking the entire continent, to avoid border tensions. If we do, I suggest we do it all in one wave.

We have no horses, so I doubt we will be able to use our UU before it is obsoleted :sad:

I agree about razing - what do you think about going for Paris first? We would need a few more cats to take down defense, but once conquered, their production/GNP would no doubt take a plunge - it would also most likely be their highest culture city and once done revolting, it would put pressure and help with the rest of the attack.

If we get france before they get muskets (shouldn't be hard), then we'll reassess then. We may still get some use out of our UU if we can get caravels and meet someone else.

One wave would definitely be good :hammer: <JC><Louis> :hammer:

This can count as my got it. Tho I won't play until after work today. Much to consider!

I'm not all that good in SP on warmongering, but once I take a look at the save file I'll do the best I can.

Taking Paris first has some nice bonuses, the wonders we'd "steal" not to mention it would nuke their production. My only worry is that it might end up spliting our forces too much. I've always been a big proponent of sweeping from one end of an empire to the other...

and yes, our UU is prolly going to be a non-factor in this game.

and GreyFox where can I get the autologger?

Yes, Paris would have to wait for a while, at least until we have several Cats ready.

Right now, Tours would be ripe for a quick strike. I would think this would give us our economy a little jump-start.

Well... Good News/Bad News

Good News is taking Tours will be easy. Bad News is that I don't think it will really "help" our economy. Oh and good news, I got the autologger working and that makes me happy!

Turn 127 (300 AD)
Tech learned: Theology
Christianity founded in Toledo
Christianity has spread: Toledo
User comment: Theocracy... its the war time wonder
User comment: Realized we had a Great Prophet sitting around and we were about to go to war without Theocracy... Easy choice.
Cordoba grows: 7
Warrior loses to: Barbarian Warrior (0.32/2)
User comment: This happened to our far north exploring warrior :(

Turn 128 (325 AD)
User comment: Next sets of turns I just start to build the war machine up.:goodjob:
Seville's borders expand

Turn 129 (350 AD)
Christianity has spread: Seville
User comment: I picked Seville since it can benefit most from the culture and happy.
User comment: I also noticed Madrid was about to go unhappy with next growth (in 1 turn) so I turned on avoid growth.
Madrid finishes: Archer
Cordoba finishes: Library
Toledo grows: 3

Turn 130 (375 AD)
Madrid begins: Archer
Cordoba begins: Barracks
Barcelona grows: 9
Barcelona finishes: Library

Turn 131 (400 AD)
Barcelona begins: Swordsman

Turn 132 (425 AD)
User comment: Sending the Galley Con Archer southwards and I see that JC has decided he wants an island nation... maybe.
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
Madrid finishes: Archer
Barcelona finishes: Swordsman
Toledo finishes: Work Boat

Turn 133 (450 AD)
User comment: I get a worker to road to Tours from Barcelona. He'll finish in time for war.
User comment: This will make it quicker to take the first city AND hook it into our culture right away once we capture it.
Madrid begins: Buddhist Temple
Barcelona begins: Swordsman
Toledo begins: Barracks
Tech learned: Construction
User comment: Decided our economy is just in the dumps right now and with the upcoming expansion (of WAR) we need Currency to make life cheaper. 11 turns of research.
Cordoba grows: 8
Cordoba finishes: Barracks

Turn 134 (475 AD)
Research begun: Currency
Seville begins: Catapult
Cordoba begins: Forge
Barcelona finishes: Swordsman
Cordoba's borders expand

Turn 135 (500 AD)
Barcelona begins: Archer
Barcelona finishes: Archer
Seville finishes: Catapult
Toledo grows: 4

Turn 136 (520 AD)
Barcelona begins: Catapult
Seville begins: Christian Temple
User comment: Seville is unhappy and has pumped out enough warriors for the upcoming war.

Turn 137 (540 AD)
User comment: I declare war on Louis and cherry pick a worker in the north.
Warrior defeats (2.00/2): French Worker
User comment: I turned Avoid growth off in Madrid as it will complete the temple the same turn (next) as it grows. Check it to be sure before you hit enter.
User comment: I also noticed that a french warrior must have been hiding in our culture borders in the south as he suddenly appears. Keep an eye on him so he can't poach any workers.

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Here's the power graph and you can see JC is keeping up with us (he has Horseback Riding and Calendar over us and won't trade):
Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

French distribution:
FrenchFry.JPG
Our two stacks next to Tours (all unpromoted) - north has 2 sword and 1 archer, south has 4 sword, 1 axe, and 1 cat. Spear is just east of our big stack covering a combat settler who's making a road.
Louis has had that great engineer since my turnset started... he must be holding him for a GA...

JC's two cities (that we can see)... so make sure we get the cover promotion of we go after him!!
Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

JC never founded that city on the island... not sure what's up there.

Paris also has the Parthenon in addition to the Pyramids, so capturing it will be a nice little prize. Next player will take Tours first turn (promote a couple swords to city raider and it should be a cake walk) and should be able to take Rheims down quickly. Paris will take some cat work, but there are a couple cats en route or en queue.

I couldn't whip the lighthouse in Hurrian yet. Keep an eye on it. Course there are two workers almost there with the dual roads and they can help hook up the resources and get it going.
Cordoba's expansion brought another clam into range, so we need to get a workboat out from Either Cordoba or Barcelona.

I'm sending one galley north and the one with the archer south to do more exploration.

There was a settler in Madrid at the start of my turns... and he's now residing in Cordoba. I didn't want to settle in the lead up to war. No way could a city help and with the switch to theocracy... it would have no chance of benefiting from OR even if religion spread (btw Hurrian still needs religion!!)

Oh, and before starting the war I made sure our border cities had at least two defenders... We were a bit weak on that. Save and demographics in next post.

Top Bottom