[NFP] Vietnam Discussion Thread

Not sure if I was the first one to post unblurred screenshot in the other thread, but even if not, then I'm part of it. And in my opinion they did it on purpose. They already know, that fanatics will check their videos frame by frame. They do it for fun as well in my opinion. It's a "game" between fanatics and Firaxis - a fun game. :) And on civfanatics secrets become revealed really early most of the times and I don't think Firaxis is much worried about it from marketing and PR point of view. For majority of their audience it's still a secret and this info being revealed here doesn't hurt them much. We're just doing constant eye blinking to each other. ;)

I absolutely hope it was on purpose. The guy who did the blurring must be feeling shyte otherwise.

Kinda sucks that they went with the 19th century dress for her.
But if I'm to be fair, if it's really Lady Trieu, you might as well be trying to accurately portray Guan Yu or Lu Bu (she was a contemporary of Cao Wei, died even earlier than Sima Yi).

Kinda sucks that they went with the 19th century dress for her. But if I'm to be fair, if it's really Lady Trieu, you might as well be trying to accurately portray Guan Yu or Lu Bu (she was a contemporary of Cao Wei, died even earlier than Sima Yi).

Lady Trieu is by large a later (14th century, 1200+ years after her supposed age) reconstruction on a semi-folklore figure, therefore I personally don't find an anachronism on clothing problematic. Also, it is not hard to accurately portray Guan Yu or Lu Bu - they were historical figures with detailed accounts - it is just their popular images are more entrenched.

Lady Trieu from Total War:

And a post from reddit:
Before you guys start complaining about the size of her breasts, I would like to direct you to the following excerpt from her Wikipedia entry:
"Trieu Thi Trinh was a 9-foot-tall (2.7 m) woman who had 3-foot-long (0.91 m) breasts. She also had a voice which sounded like a temple bell, and she could eat many rice pecks and walk 500 leagues per day. Moreover, Trinh had a beauty that could shake any man's soul"

Lady Trieu is by large a later (14th century, 1200+ years after her supposed age) reconstruction on a semi-folklore figure, therefore I personally don't find an anachronism on clothing problematic. Also, it is not hard to accurately portray Guan Yu or Lu Bu - they were historical figures with detailed accounts - it is just their popular images are more entrenched.
Well yeah, I simply meant that your typical Guan Yu will always gravitate towards certain features either drawing from Koei or the various TV dramas rather than a highly thorough reconstruction of what a late Han general would look like.
So basically the same sort of situation as her, just basing it a bit more on the Ming era ideas of what a Han general looked like, as opposed to late Qing/Nguyen ones.

Something that seems odd to me is how they were presented- as a culture-focused civ. From what we know of their civ ability, it gives bonuses equally skewed towards Science. Their unique district is an Encampment replacement (by the way, Encampment placement reqs plus Vietnam's terrain reqs doesn't sound fun), and their unique unit apparently replaces one of the most dominant in the game. That would leave Lady Trieu's leader ability as some kind of culture buff, but given the spear and all, they seem to be trying to present her as a military-focused sort of leader. So my guess is, there's probably some kind of second bonus they snuck by us that makes them good at Culture, like extra GPP or something.

Culture through Warfare, perhaps? Not culture from kills, because that's Gorgo's thing, or culture from recruitment because that's Ambiorix's thing, but some other bonus. Maybe culture from being at war? Culture from each unit you own? Each GP you recruited?

(by the way, Encampment placement reqs plus Vietnam's terrain reqs doesn't sound fun

There is one shot in the update video that showed the unique Encampment, which doesn't seem to be built on some features, since there isn't any visual representation of features around that district (I could be wrong though).

So my guess is, there's probably some kind of second bonus they snuck by us that makes them good at Culture, like extra GPP or something.

So, a second Gorgo.

So, you guys remember how all the NFP leaders are reusing animations?

Oh yeah, had the same thought. Can't wait for Lady Trieu to wiggle her reportedly enoromous bossom in my face while threatening to skewer me to death.

ooh, what if it's something like: for every unit (or every 2 or 3 units) trained in a vietnamese city with the unique encampment, the encampment provides +1 culture and tourism per turn? probably not historically accurate but i think itd be fun gameplaywise

Vietnam will probably get a "District not impact by flooding" ability, since a Dam will take their precious feature-district tiles. Also, IRL Vietnamese floodplains.
a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶f̶l̶o̶o̶d̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶-̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶y̶p̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶e̶r̶r̶a̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶e̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶.̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶s̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶i̶v̶l̶o̶p̶e̶d̶i̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶s̶ ̶g̶r̶a̶s̶s̶l̶a̶n̶d̶s̶,̶ ̶g̶r̶a̶s̶s̶l̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶r̶a̶s̶s̶l̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶f̶l̶o̶o̶d̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶e̶p̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶.̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶a̶l̶t̶y̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶t̶r̶i̶c̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶i̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶f̶e̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶s̶?̶

edit: just looked it up and i was wrong, i was sure floodplains werent a feature but they are. sorry!

Last edited:
actually, floodplains in-game are treated as another type of terrain, not a feature. thats why the civlopedia lists grasslands, grassland hills, and grassland floodplains as all seperate. so maybe only specialty districts are limited to tiles with features?

I think they mean that since floodplains as a feature will be one of the rare tiles that Vietnam can build on, giving them the ability to skip building dams would be helpful in opening up terrain that they can use.

But I doubt they give them that ability, since Egypt already has it, and not sure they want to double-up on abilities like that.

So, if comparing these two pictures below, they show that the Vietnamese Unique Encampment doesn't have a feature requirement:

Spoiler :

1~1.png

2~1.png

From the UI and UU, they don't seem Cultural at all, more like a pure Domination civ. The female leader seems forced, but I have to say what I like the least is the unique Encampment, it is just so blah. Unless it is something so broken like the Hippodrome that actually turns the power of the district 180 degree around, I don't have hopes for this thing.

Top Bottom