[NFP] Vietnam Discussion Thread

Districts having to be placed on features seems really really bad. It could actually be pretty good if placing the district automatically harvested the feature, but that doesn't appear to be the case in the video.
It seems like it's more of only Specialty Districts need to be placed on Features.

So presumably they felt Trieu has a bigger personality that Trung Trac,
She doesn't. Trieu is less than Trung Trac in every thinkable facet, in terms of achievements in their lifetime, and how widely celebrated they are in modern Vietnam. Trieu has that one good quote, which is not even honest cuz she does have a husband.
Personally I like Seondeok and Kristina, because I don't have the cultural and knowledge capital to understand why they may not be appropriate, just like a Swedish person is upset with Kristina but fine with Seondeok or Trieu. The simple reason for that is when we don't have necessary knowledge on certain things, we are not emotionally invested in the way those things are portrayed. As simple as that.
It is just @IvoryPavane's bad luck that she barked up the wrong tree when she quoted the one Vietnamese person in the entire thread to voice the alleged "sexism" when everyone was just discussing history as it is written and remembered. To say the choice is "forced" is a huge understatement.

She doesn't. Trieu is less than Trung Trac in every thinkable facet, in terms of achievements in their lifetime, and how widely celebrated they are in modern Vietnam. Trieu has that one good quote, which is not even honest cuz she does have a husband.
I don't think a husband constitutes Lady Trieu being a concubine. I think when she says she won't be a concubine, I think it means she will be only the woman of someone she consents to be the partner of.

It seems like it's more of only Specialty Districts need to be placed on Features.

Specialty districts will make up the majority of your districts. Having to place them on features, in addition to restricting district layouts, will be throwing away so many chops over the course of the game.

Districts having to be placed on features seems really really bad. It could actually be pretty good if placing the district automatically harvested the feature, but that doesn't appear to be the case in the video.

If Vietnamese Districts can retain the yields of the feature (which they don't, sadly) that would be a really interesting ability.

Every District would produce a small amount of food and production to support the city growth if that was the case. Feel like it is very much a missed opportunity.

Specialty districts will make up the majority of your districts. Having to place them on features, in addition to restricting district layouts, will be throwing away so many chops over the course of the game.
That's what makes them unique. :) And plus, it makes whatever bonuses they get less unbalanced. So at least it's going to be somewhat balanced.

She's probably just gonna speak in modern Vietnamese though lol.
Vietnamese spelling is mostly (there has been a minor reform) a fossil of the Middle Vietnamese language as encountered by the Portuguese missionaries. They could technically ask the VA to read standard Vietnamese text that way, though it would still need additional revisions (modern English spelling is also a fossil but you don't arrive at Shakespeare simply by reading modern sentences as the orthography suggests) and it's a process that would be PITA to do through a videoconference.
I think we can trust Alex that she's not going to be speaking like a modern Hanoi street kid, but I think a text that avoids any French, English or (maybe even) Japanese terms is going to be the extent of it.

Firaxis likes to talk about "Big Personality" leaders. So presumably they felt Trieu has a bigger personality that Trung Trac, which of course translates that they settled on a very apt Historical Agenda.

She seems akin to Joan of Arc. Leaders who lead a rebellion but never actually led the country have been in the game from the start - Gandhi probably as the premier example. And of course Joan of Arc has been an option for France twice in the Civ series (but is currently a Great General in 6). Lautaro in the current game is another example.

I see why they choose them but my personal issue is that it tends to define the leader/civ in terms of the foreign opponent a bit. It's one reason I think the Iroquois are a good north american Native option, as they are one of the few groups we have pre-colonial leader options, and not just "here's another chief famous for how he worked with or resisted the colonial powers/US/Canada".

I think a text that avoids any French, English or Japanese terms is going to be the extent of it.
I just had flashbacks to Civ5 Monty calling himself "imperator of the Aztecs." :p

I just had flashbacks to Civ5 Monty calling himself "imperator of the Aztecs." :p

We also had Pachacuti say "Imperio Inka" in said same game.

Maybe it will be an extra special leader in that it's the Trung Sisters and although their video/dialogue is the two of them together, the avatar changes based on what you're ahead in?

I see why they choose them but my personal issue is that it tends to define the leader/civ in terms of the foreign opponent a bit. It's one reason I think the Iroquois are a good north american Native option, as they are one of the few groups we have pre-colonial leader options, and not just "here's another chief famous for how he worked with or resisted the colonial powers/US/Canada".
Worth noting that modern scholarship suggests that Hiawatha and company may not be precolonial, or at least not by much. Archaeological evidence suggests the formation of the confederacy may be a direct response to French advances into Canada.

Didn't someone here mentioned a female regent named Y Kan or something? From what I skimmed on her, she seemed fairly politically savvy to lead for a time. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem that well known to be chosen as a leader, considering I've heard of her through here. I honestly would prefer Trung Trac over Trieu. At least people get to know a little more about the latter.

Didn't someone here mentioned a female regent named Y Kan or something? From what I skimmed on her, she seemed fairly politically savvy to lead for a time. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem that well known to be chosen as a leader, considering I've heard of her through here. I honestly would prefer Trung Trac over Trieu. At least people get to know a little more about the latter.

That'll be Lý Chiêu Hoàng.

That'll be Lý Chiêu Hoàng.
You mean Empress Y Lan?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ỷ_Lan
Ly Chieu Hoang was a 9 year old girl who was forced to abdicate her throne to her 10 year old husband, thus ending the Ly Dynasty. She is notable cuz she is the only female empress of Vietnam, otherwise she is irrelevant to the course of history.

upload_2021-1-19_23-30-43.png

Tried to actually decipher the UU name, the first word starts to look like 'Day' or 'Bay' or 'Đay'. And I'm starting to see an elephant in the icon. Dunno if I'm going anywhere here, but it's not like I've got many better things to do :v

Top Bottom