[NFP] Vietnam Discussion Thread

These two screenshots also show that Vietnamese Districts can be built on Floodplains:

Spoiler :

2.png

1.png

From the UI and UU, they don't seem Cultural at all, more like a pure Domination civ. The female leader seems forced, but I have to say what I like the least is the unique Encampment, it is just so blah. Unless it is something so broken like the Hippodrome that actually turns the power of the district 180 degree around, I don't have hopes for this thing.

I genuinely can’t with you lot.

“this female leader is forced”
“UD is weak”
“Building on unique features = negative Civs”

we literally know nothing sans a few speculations on a few screenshots

The ratio of M:F leaders in this game is 70/30 and we STILL get this every. single. time. I didn’t hear this forced narrative when the mythical Kupe was announced....

Just because history often overlooks the achievements of females doesn’t mean this game needs to and if a leaders mythos and culture fits into what they are trying to do with the Civ then why not put them in?

As a lady Civ player, I really enjoy reading up on the exploits or accounts of my fellow queens. If it doesn’t fit for you, then you are free to go enjoy the other 70%.

I don’t want to say this is rooted in sexism but honestly, I haven’t seen any of this type of conversation in ANY the other new Civs especially when we literally don’t know ANYTHING about it.

Done with this thread already.

I had the hunch they were going to use Lady Trieu, when Trung Trac was revealed as a Great General last year. Hopefully they didn't go overboard with the bosom size. She's probably just gonna speak in modern Vietnamese though lol.

“this female leader is forced”......Just because history often overlooks the achievements of females doesn’t mean this game needs to and if a leaders mythos and culture fits into what they are trying to do with the Civ then why not put them in?

It is probably not for me to say this - But if a Vietnamese forum user commented that a certain Vietnamese figure is not a good choice to represent Vietnamese culture at large, I think there are some adequate reasons behind it.

I genuinely can’t with you lot.

“this female leader is forced”
“UD is weak”
“Building on unique features = negative Civs”

we literally know nothing sans a few speculations on a few screenshots

The ratio of M:F leaders in this game is 70/30 and we STILL get this every. single. time. I didn’t hear this forced narrative when the mythical Kupe was announced....

Just because history often overlooks the achievements of females doesn’t mean this game needs to and if a leaders mythos and culture fits into what they are trying to do with the Civ then why not put them in?

As a lady Civ player, I really enjoy reading up on the exploits or accounts of my fellow queens. If it doesn’t fit for you, then you are free to go enjoy the other 70%.

I don’t want to say this is rooted in sexism but honestly, I haven’t seen any of this type of conversation in ANY the other new Civs especially when we literally don’t know ANYTHING about it.

Done with this thread already.
First, I'm Vietnamese, so I'm pretty sure I have a lot more knowledge than you and whatever you may have found on wikipedia, in terms of what certain leaders contributed to history. For a culture that lasts 4000 years, this woman had 1 rebellion, and she didn't win, she didn't rule over the country for a single day. At least the Trung sisters won theirs and ruled for 3 years. Kupe was a mythical figure the Maori uses to explain their entire existence, so the comparison is not even remotely close.
The point of the discussion is to see whether or not certain civs are strong/weak/average, I can possibly say that is the point of having a forum.
If you want to be done with it, you yourself know the way out.

Moderator Action: Inviting another member to leave is not civil and we consider it trolling. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
"Appeal to authority" due to someone's ethnicity doesn't really do anything for me, just like it didn't move me when certain people on the internet who were Korean or Swedish didn't like Seondeok or Kristina.

I like Lady Trieu as a choice because I get to learn something new. She seems like an interesting figure.

Only thing I don't like about what we've seen so far is the unique encampment because I think encampments are boring. I was hoping for something with a little more visual flair too.

First, I'm Vietnamese, so I'm pretty sure I have a lot more knowledge than you and whatever you may have found on wikipedia, in terms of what certain leaders contributed to history. For a culture that lasts 4000 years, this woman had 1 rebellion, and she didn't win, she didn't rule over the country for a single day. At least the Trung sisters won theirs and ruled for 3 years. Kupe was a mythical figure the Maori uses to explain their entire existence, so the comparison is not even remotely close.
The point of the discussion is to see whether or not certain civs are strong/weak/average, I can possibly say that is the point of having a forum.
If you want to be done with it, you yourself know the way out.
Well... The same could be said somewhat with Ambiorix. :p Except for the fact he actually somewhat lead his people as a king.

"Appeal to authority" due to someone's ethnicity doesn't really do anything for me. I like Lady Trieu as a choice because I get to learn something new. She seems like an interesting figure.
This is a reason why I'm somewhat fine with her. If I get to learn about a new Historical Leader, I call it a win.

"Appeal to authority" due to someone's ethnicity doesn't really do anything for me.
To some extent I agree, but on the other hand I doubt even on this board there are too many of us with a detailed knowledge of Vietnamese history so listening to what Vietnamese forummers think can be educational.

To some extent I agree, but on the other hand I doubt even on this board there are too many of us with a detailed knowledge of Vietnamese history so listening to what Vietnamese forummers think can be educational.
Indeed.

It is probably not for me to say this - But if a Vietnamese forum user commented that a certain Vietnamese figure is not a good choice to represent Vietnamese culture at large, I think there are some adequate reasons behind it.

There was a similar quarrel(?) among the Korean players when Queen Seondeok was introduced as the leader for the Korean civilization. I'm not saying this Vietnamese individual is like this in this discussion, but a lot of the accusations about Seondeok as a ruler was demeaning of her achievements and borderline sexist. Can't we just appreciate the choice by the developers for the gameplay it offers regardless of the politics behind that choice?

TBH Lady Trieu didn't make much sense to me when she was first revealed, since if they wanted a female rebel leader, Trung Trac actually led for a little while. They could have made Lady Trieu the great general and Trung Trac the Viet leader and probably kept everything intact mechanically. But for Civ VI's aesthetic I do like how Lady Trieu, fictional or not, has a big personality with her famous quote and all, so I don't mind as much.

If Boudica gets to be leader in Civ, so does Lady Trieu. Maybe, a male Vietnamese leader will be in a future Civ game.

There was a similar quarrel(?) among the Korean players when Queen Seondeok was introduced as the leader for the Korean civilization. I'm not saying this Vietnamese individual is like this in this discussion, but a lot of the accusations about Seondeok as a ruler was demeaning of her achievements and borderline sexist. Can't we just appreciate the choice by the developers for the gameplay it offers regardless of the politics behind that choice?

Again, I'm not a Vietnamese myself, and I cannot speak for Vietnamese users on the forum - But I personally don't like the leader choice mainly because she was a mythical figure with not only little to none historical records but also little to none folklore records, not because sexism or other "historical accomplishment" arguments.

I would say Trung Trac is a better choice here, but I will accept what we have.

Districts having to be placed on features seems really really bad. It could actually be pretty good if placing the district automatically harvested the feature, but that doesn't appear to be the case in the video.

Top Bottom