1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vote for your 3 civs you would most like to see (Part II : Eastern Europe) ?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Liufeng, Dec 2, 2016.

?

Which 3 civlizations would you like to see in the future ? (Eastern Europe Part)

1. Armenia

32 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Bulgaria

9 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Georgia

17 vote(s)
    11.2%
  4. Serbia

18 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. Byzantium

89 vote(s)
    58.6%
  6. Bosnia

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Albania

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Romania (of Vallachia)

24 vote(s)
    15.8%
  9. Hungary

46 vote(s)
    30.3%
  10. The Czech (or Bohemia)

28 vote(s)
    18.4%
  11. Croatia

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
  12. Lithuania

11 vote(s)
    7.2%
  13. Poland

52 vote(s)
    34.2%
  14. The Huns

39 vote(s)
    25.7%
  15. The Illyrians

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  16. The Thracians (Odrysian Kingdom, dacians, getae, ...)

15 vote(s)
    9.9%
  17. Germania

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  18. Ukraine (or Ruthenians)

12 vote(s)
    7.9%
  19. Azerbaijan

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Germania probably refers to the Germanic "tribes" in general. Ex: Arminius, Goths, Vandals, Burgundians etc

2. daft

daft The fargone

Armenia used to be called Urartu, a powerful ancient kingdom. Tigranes, the greatest leader of Ancient/Classical Era Armenia, was truly a great leader. Turks might not approve of Armenia being in the game, so what? Armenians truly deserve their place in the Annals of Civilization (hey, they built cities, actual cities...Iroquois-and other Tribes-so called Civilizations, be ware!)

Poland used to be one of the largest and most powerful kingdoms (officially a Polish/Lithuanian Commonwealth, although Polish was the official language, Lithuanian was obscure) of Medieval and Renaissance Eras. Polish Commonwealth created a unique and fascinating culture/civilization. Poland more than deserves its place in the game, however, it's ruler should be a male (was a male dominant nation, just like Rome, or America), I'd suggest the return to Casimir/Kazimierz (the great), Jagiello/Jogaila (the pagan husband/turned devout Catholic, Lithuanian prince and husband of Jadwiga), or Jan III Sobieski (a great Winged Hussar king/leader) or Jozef Pilsudski (ulan cavalry) - one who rebuilt Poland after WWI).

BYZANTIUM!!! one of the finest Civilizations of all time! and not a tribe-which never constructed a single city, like some of those taking precedence in the game. Byzantium mixed in Roman and Greek cultures as well as Christian (orthodox) religion, and became one of the great superpowers of the world for centuries. It was a cultured, scientific, spiritual, commercial and seafaring empire, one of its kind, and its military was superb! It carried on the tradition of Rome, and though became Greek-speaker dominant, it maintained its course as one of the greatest empires ever! It's leaders should be: Constantine (the great), Justinian, Justin (no consorts please)

Hungary - a very original Civilization, not Indo-European speakers at all, at first a very Aggressive (horse) warrior tribe. They conquered the lands of Panonian Slavians, in what is today Hungary. They were originally known as aggressive and warlike, and good at their craft. To sustain their existence in the lands they conquered, the Magyars (more realistic name of Hungarians), adopted Christianity and became a powerful regional state in Central/East Europe. Their History is fascinating, definitely a civilization worth adding into the game.

Ukraine/Kiyevan Rus' - This is a very interesting Civilization, with long history. It began as a mixture of Viking//Varang conquest of Slavian lands and the establishment of the capital city, Kyiv/Kiyev/Kiev. The conversion to Byzantine/Orthodox Christianity, for this mixture of Slavic and Scandinavian cultures, a new step towards its destiny. During the reign of VLADIMIR (the great), Kiyevan Rus' became a large and powerful Tzarate, however, after his death, it disintegrated into several small city-states, conquered, one by one, by Poland and Moscow(Muscovy). Ukraine would be a great addition to the game, especially if including their fierce infantry, the Zaporosski Kossacks.

Bulgaria - was a nomad, non-slavic nation originally. Having conquered the lands of the Slavians, they welcomed the Slavic culture they'd just conquered as their own, named their kings Tzars. Bulgarians were some of the fiercest opponents of Byzantium. Bulgaria later built a strong country in the Balkans, only felled by the might of the Ottoman Turks.

Yugoslavia (or at least Serbia-most powerful of the former Yugoslav states) Most likely will never make it in. Tito was a great leader though.

Thracia/Thrace - capital SEUTHOPOLIS, also known (later) as Odrysian Kingdom (after the king Odrysseus). A militaristic and Agricultural tribe, made out of clans, similarly to Scotland, tough to make a Civ out of them, but they contributed their share to the history of Human Civilization of Antiquity (most of Greek slaves-in the ancient era-were in fact, captured Thracians).

Georgia/Colchis - very ancient and very deserving to be in the game.

Romania/Walachia/Dacia - Dacians were some of the fiercest enemies of ancient Rome (till conquered). Walachia was an important medieval state in Easter Europe/till it fell, similarly to Moldavia. Romania is an original Civ, with an original and controversial, potential leader.

Czechs/Bohemia- Czech people are some of the toughest of all of Europe. They are a Slavian, Mountainous Terrain nation. They value their freedom and original and rich history. These guys were there for hundreds of year, in Central/Eastern Europe, always a factor, even when under Austrian/German yoke. Czech beer is some of the finest in the world.

Austria (Central Europe) - Austria needs to be back in! Was a major power during the Renaissance and Industrial (and early Modern) Eras in Europe (Central and Eastern).

Tatars (Crimean) - deserve a look.

Khazaria - not sure if qualify, because of geography, nonetheless, a worthy and original civ.

Lithuania- if Poland is in, then Lithuania, although not a Slavic nation, will most likely never make it, too bad.

PRUSSIA - a militaristic and cultural state, Germanic, although originally Baltic (like Lithuanians), these guys deserve to be in the game. One of their uniques could be the Teutonic Knight.

Ottomans/Turkey - definitely should be included.

Minoans - One of the oldest known Civilizations, thought to give birth to the Mycenaean Culture of Ancient Greece. Minoans deserve to be in, with King Minos as leader of course, there are enough city names available to introduce it as one of the Civs.

Macedonia - With 2 Leaders: Alexander (the great) and his father, Phillip (II). Unfortunately always represented as Greeks, Macedonians were an original and fascinating culture, with the capital of Pella. They fought differently than lower (mainland) Greeks, used Companion cavalry, and the Sarissophoros-similar to the hoplite but with longer and heavier-held in both hands-spears.
    Macedonian war tactics (and units) were superior to the Greek ones, and after conquering parts of Greece, they united the country (for the most part) and unleashed an offensive against the mightiest of known empires-Persia, and the rest is well known to all. Macedonia should be a Militaristic Civ, advancing decently culturalry.

Wends - Western Slavic tribes, the Wends were the most advanced Slavic tribes (and most Warlike) of them all. They lived between the Oder (Odra) and Labe (Laba-in Slavic) rivers, in what is today Germany. They were conquered by the Franks and later Germans (Saxons), gradually, and either wiped out or assimilated into the German culture. Wends were devout Slavic Polytheists, a Spiritual, AGRICULTURAL, and very warlike nation (similar to the Celts). They raided the lands of their western (Christian) neighbours, and traded with them as well, they even raided the Vikings themselves (with much success). In the end though, they fought against each other as much as against common enemies, sooner or later, their end had to come.

I think I ran out, gosh! there are more options though, if you consider the nations of Asia Minor as part of this thread, I could go on, or perhaps Finland?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  3. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Urartu was located in Armenia but they were not the same civilization as Armenia, any more than the Britons were the same civilization as the Saxons. That being said, Armenia absolutely deserves to be in the game and should have been in the game ages ago. I'd love to see Urartu in the game as well, but I admit that they're low priority compared to other ancient Near Eastern powers like Babylon and Persia. :(

Problem is, we don't know what language they spoke. Minoan hieroglyphics have eluded all attempts at decipherment. It may or may not be related to the later Etiocretan language, but that too is undeciphered. Since we can't decipher their language, we not only have no language for their leader to speak but also no names of leaders to begin with. Minoa is better treated as a city-state. Since references abound in histories from throughout the Mediterranean of Cretan mercenaries, they'd make a great militaristic city-state, or alternately a cultured city-state based on their arts.

I don't see any reason not to include Macedonia with Greece. We don't know much about them, but what we do know points to their being Hellenes--some snobby comments by Athenian elitists notwithstanding. ;) If Alexander must return (I got a little bored of him in Civ5), I don't see any reason not to make him a third leader for Greece.

Asia Minor would be in Asia. ;) But I'd love to see Anatolia/Asia Minor represented by the Hittites. They were a major power in the region, were some of the earliest adopters of iron weaponry (this just begs to give them an iron-wielding unique unit before Iron Working), were expert charioteers, plus they spoke the oldest attested Indo-European language that confirmed Ferdinand de Saussure's laryngeal theory.

4. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

The Huns
    Poland
    The Czech

5. Liufeng

Liufeng A man of his time

Well, right now, Byzantium, aka the Eastern Roman Empire, litteraly owns the poll with Poland (like Portugal and the Dutch own the Western Europe poll). I expected Hungary and Armenia to get these many votes, since from what I've seen in different threads they're among the most demanded civs tht never appeared in a civ game. Georgia was also expected, sinceTamar invaded the forums everybody went nuts about Georgia.
    What I did not expected was the Huns to get these many votes, since 1) We have Scythia who more or less took their role ; 2) People seemed not very comfortable with them as a civ, especially the fact that they didn't even had cities of their own. I'm also surprised (and sad) about Bulgaria getting so few votes, since they were a powerful medieval empire that was the rival of the byzantines.
    Also was expecting Romania to be higher since people seemed so fired up about having Vlad the Empaler as a leader.

So many surprises !

6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I personally hope the Huns do not return for the exact reasons you mentioned.

I'm surprised Poland is getting so many votes when we already all but know that Poland is coming soon.

7. Corozivu

Corozivu Chieftain

I voted for Romania , Dacia and Serbia . But at least for me the fact that Traian is the roman leader quelled my need to see Romania in the game since we consider Traian alongside the dacian king Decebal (Decebalus) something close to our founding fathers . If im not mistaken the names Traian and Decebal are widely used only in Romania for this reason.
    As far as what potential leaders would fit Romania I think it would be more relevant to most romanians to have king Mihai I (Michael I) the only surviving WWII head of state or king Ferdinand since Romania will be celebrating in 2018 100 years since the Great Union of 1918 which happened under his rule. Vlad Țepeș (the Impaler) has a comercial value but his accomplishments as a voievod(ruler) pale in comparison to other pre 1859 (when Moldova united with Valahia) leaders.

andydtoma likes this.
  8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Pontus I love just for the real nasty leader Mithridates Eupator a very different flavour greek city state come thorn in Roman side.
    I mean who can kill 88000 roman civilians in 88 Bc and get away with it.

Still, small fry compared to the likes of the mighty Poland and Hungary.

9. Melendor

Melendor Chieftain

Yugoslavia

10. Guandao

Huns getting more votes than Bulgaria, Hungary and Georgia...I am disappointed...
    Their archeological impact is rather limited in my understanding. I am very familiar with Attila's story, having played the Age of Empires 2 Expansion, but Scythia has pretty much replaced the Huns in my opinion. Battering rams can be build by any civ in the game now. What else can we give the Huns, due to lack of understanding of their military organization and their scarcely attested language? I also not totally convinced the Huns spoke a Turkic language, though the Chuvash spoken by Attila in Civ5 is hilarious once it is translated...

Zaarin likes this.
  11. Quoth the Raven

Quoth the Raven Chieftain

I voted Armenia, Romania, and Poland. Other civs that I would like to see are the Huns, the Thracians, and Lithuania. Byzantium should not be a new civ because they were the displaced Roman Empire.

12. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Agreed, I think the argument that Attila's Huns spoke an East Germanic language (or a Germano-Turkic pidgin) is convincing. Also agreed that the Huns really aren't significant or well-enough attested to be included.

Guandao likes this.
  13. Guandao

I think the Huns being added into the game (in Civ5 Gods and Kings), increased their visibility among civfanatics. I can see why some people might not vote for Armenia, Georgia, Hungary, Bulgaria etc. if they are not familiar with the history of these countries. Scythia basically has the Hunnic mounted archer as a unique unit and the battering ram is a regular unit in the game, so I have trouble seeing Firaxis adding the Huns to the game again. What would be their unique improvement/building/or district?

Zaarin likes this.
  14. Liufeng

As you said, the Huns, I also think the Huns would never get these many votes if they hadn't have been add in Civ V (just like Venice, in my humble opinion). The Huns don't have much to give now, especially with Scythia in game. Let's be honest, Attila was a great general, very feared in its prime, but the Huns only last while he was there. Otherwise, they were nor greater nor less deserving than many other groupes that also threatened Rome, like the Vandals, the Goths (ostro or wisi), Burgonds or Alamanii. Which also leaves me kind of sad, especially for Bulgaria which I consider certainly one of Byzantium's greatest rivals.

Guandao likes this.
  15. Eurik

Eurik Chieftain

Tough choice. I voted Byzantium, the Huns and Poland.

16. Liufeng

Since Poland is out and playable now, I invite those who wish to do so to change their vote for another civ if you voted for Poland (that is at least 56% of people who participated in the poll) !

17. Comandante

Comandante Chieftain

The voice of the people has been heard Poland is in the game. The next one is Byzantium.

18. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

Where are the Minoan, Ottomans and Goths in your poll?

In the case of Poland it seams absolutely clear that by this poor selection voters vote for Poland because they know that Poland will become a dlc civ for sure, that´s why they vote for them. There is a special term in psychology for that (I forgot at the moment). Everyone wants to be on the side of the winner, so he votes for the unchangeable and confirmed winner. It´s like a elections in a people´s republic.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  19. gudbajn

gudbajn Chieftain

Bohemia. It has never been in Civ and was quite important at some stages. Uniques could be something around hussites and beer :)

20. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Honestly, I don't think there's another CIv from the list I'd want in the game. Once again, Minoans were the only other thing that appealed to me.