VQ03 - Resource Collectors

Very hilarious report, I love it! If I must have any complaints, it will be the extra wide screenshots (damn, I'm all green with you guys having wide aspect LCDs while I am still using a CRT :sad:) ... seriously though, I don't mind the wide screenies, but would prefer if you break your longer sentences/paragraphs into shorter lines so I need not scroll horizontally while reading.

One reason we should :hammer: the Egyptians is, they are idiots! Don't believe me, look at the 2nd screenshot! they fence up an empty space in the ranch while their horses are all outside! :crazyeye: :lol:

A bit of bad luck at the end, losing with favourable odds. But It does happen, so don't worry abt it.

Next player may want to play around with the research slider to see if we can get the catapult a turn earlier.

I see that the Americans are hungry for a religion ... hmmm .... so we are brothers of faith, eh? Just too bad, Roosy, you are still going to get a taste of the Persian hammer.

-

lurker's comment: just a confirmation that the extra large screen shots are .... difficult. resizing to 800x600 seems to work great for me. Thanks!

Okay I edited all the images down to 800x600. Happy now?

j/k, I hate the overwide images too, and I didn't realize mine were like that, I thought I'd resized/cropped them enough. How embarrassing

I have one of these "wide-screen" laptops now, so my whole perception of these things is off.

Roster:
player 1: Maquis --- UP
player 2: Greyfox --- On Deck
player 3: oldbustedjorn ---
player 4: eektor ---
player 5: sozopol --- Just Played

Resources
copper
iron*
stone
clams
corn
ivory
rice
sheep
gems

*I connected the sheep and gems, and lost the iron:mad:

Ok, I got it. I'll be playing sometime tomorrow. I'm looking at continuing the war with Hatty... I think we need to take care of her once and for all :)

lurker's comment: Hmmmm now why would you ever decide to do that......Vicky?

Turns done. A lot of fighting back of Hatty's pillaging forces.

Turn 1: What's that? Hatty is pillaging our corn!?!? How DARE they? That can't be tolerated! The offending troops must be dealt with immediatly! Off with their heads!

OK, addednum to the variant rules: If an AI comes pillaging our lands, we must be set to deal with them immediatly! This becomes our war focus!

Also, construction comes in. I set on building a couple cats. We'll need to teach Hatty a lesson to come near our valuable resources!

Nothing grand to report in the war. We have eliminated all of Hattys ofending units, and have taken the war to her lands again. The first of our cats are on the way, to begin the bombardment of her cities.

Spoiler :

Turn 140 (600 AD)
Persepolis finishes: Axeman
Susa finishes: Library
Heliopolis grows: 7

Turn 141 (620 AD)
Axeman defeats (1.20/5): Egyptian Axeman
Persepolis begins: Aqueduct
Susa begins: Archer
Pi-Ramesses begins: Granary
Tech learned: Construction
Pasargadae finishes: Archer
Axeman defeats (3.30/5): Egyptian Horse Archer
Axeman loses to: Egyptian Horse Archer (2.22/6)
Scout loses to: Egyptian Horse Archer (6.00/6)

Turn 142 (640 AD)
Persepolis begins: Catapult
Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Egyptian Swordsman
Axeman loses to: Egyptian Axeman (0.20/5)
Research begun: Literature
Pasargadae begins: Catapult
Archer defeats (3.00/3): Egyptian Axeman
Susa grows: 6
Heliopolis finishes: Axeman

Turn 143 (660 AD)
Swordsman loses to: Egyptian Archer (1.74/3)
Heliopolis begins: War Elephant
Pi-Ramesses's borders expand
Axeman loses to: Egyptian Catapult (0.25/5)
Swordsman defeats (0.90/6): Egyptian Horse Archer
Archer loses to: Egyptian Axeman (1.70/5)

Turn 144 (680 AD)
Swordsman defeats (1.20/6): Egyptian Archer
Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Egyptian Catapult
Persepolis finishes: Catapult
Susa finishes: Archer
Judaism has spread: Arbela
Swordsman loses to: Egyptian Catapult (5.00/5)
Axeman defeats (3.30/5): Egyptian Axeman
Archer loses to: Egyptian Archer (1.32/3)

Turn 145 (700 AD)
Swordsman defeats (1.68/6): Egyptian Catapult
Swordsman defeats (6.00/6): Egyptian Horse Archer
Swordsman defeats (6.00/6): Egyptian Archer
Susa begins: Catapult
Arbela grows: 3

Turn 146 (720 AD)
Pasargadae finishes: Catapult

Turn 147 (740 AD)
Pasargadae begins: Lighthouse
Tech learned: Literature
Axeman loses to: Egyptian Horse Archer (5.04/6)

Turn 148 (760 AD)
Research begun: Music
Persepolis finishes: Aqueduct
Axeman defeats (2.30/5): Egyptian Catapult
Axeman loses to: Egyptian Horse Archer (3.00/6)

Turn 149 (780 AD)
Persepolis begins: The Hanging Gardens
Susa finishes: Catapult
Swordsman loses to: Egyptian Horse Archer (0.60/6)

Turn 150 (800 AD)
Swordsman defeats (4.74/6): Egyptian Horse Archer
Susa begins: Swordsman
Research begun: Music

Our power looks good, we are at least keeping up with the AI score-wise. (Hatty has dropped way down, second-to-last.)

OK, demographics donn't look as nice. Although we are #1 in land size, we are way down in GNP. Ouch.

Here's the save. Hopefully I've set GreyFox up well to take it to Hatty.

Am I up? Am I up? better double check ... don't want to mess up ... again :crazyeye:

I won't be too worry about GNP right now, seeing that our land has few (if not none) cottages.

Good job repelling Hatty, time to hammer her up again. I will have to check on her cities though ... whether there are new resources to keep or I have to raze ...

I may be way ahead of myself, but guys, do we want to eliminate her, or simply exile her to a single crappy city?

Got it, playing in 30 mins time ...

-

I Guess it's up to you, but remember that if we do not wipe her out now, we should leave a city that has a resource, since that is the only way to re-declare on her later.

Pre-Flight Check ... or is it Pre-Fight? :crazyeye:

Well, everything seems to be in order, except ....

:eek: ... might as well rename Thebes -> Archery Range :lol:

The War

We only have 1 cat and 1 sword in place. Not too good.
So, I start moving forces in pipeline (i.e. a unit form eastern city started moving west, while a fortified unti in the next western city moves west, so on and so forth.
Finally, the forces at Memphis is large enough to take it by 920 AD :)eek: a total of 6 turns!), and by that time, the catapults has pulled down the defence to 0 ...

and now we turn the camera towards the frontline, and bring you the report from the Field Marshal ...

Persian Field Marshal said:
Turn 154 (880 AD)
Swordsman defeats (6.00/6): Egyptian Swordsman <- hatty get impatient, and suicide her swordsman.

Turn 156 (920 AD)
Catapult loses to: Egyptian Horse Archer (3.12/6) <- suicide attack, causing multiple collateral damages
War Elephant promoted: Combat I
Swordsman defeats (4.32/6): Egyptian Archer
Swordsman defeats (1.92/6): Egyptian Archer
Swordsman defeats (5.34/6): Egyptian Spearman
War Elephant defeats (6.88/8): Egyptian Horse Archer
Hinduism has spread: Memphis
Captured Memphis (Hatshepsut) <- new resource = sugar

Soon after, our forces start their march towards Thebes, the prize city ...

This is how the forces are distributed:

Couple of notes from the Field Marshal:

- The axeman near Alexandria is doing pillaging duty. He reports the settler + Spearman from Thebes in 800AD has fleed to Alexandria.

- The archer with the swordman is meant to reinforce Memphis.

We interrupt you with this special report back in Persia ...

Persian citizens in some cities are having a anti-war demonstration ... they are seen marching in the streets of Helioppolis and Arbela carrying banners: "War ... what is it good for? Nothing!"

-

In the Other News ...

Livy the Great Researcher finds that we are the "Largest Civ" :dance:

And to further heighten the citizens morale, ...

Report have it that Pasargadae and Persepolis are begining the constructions of the Great Lighthouse and the Great library too ... we are indeed Great!!!

To end our news report tonight, this is what the King GreyFox has amassed in our Great Resource collection before he desscends from the throne ...

Hmmm, difficult to decipher the drawings, but I believe they are:
  • Copper
  • Iron
  • Stone
  • Clams
  • Corns
  • Rice
  • Sheep
  • Gems
  • Ivory

After Turns Thoughts

- Our war-weariness are soaring high. I checked if Hatty is willing to sign peace ... she might be, but she is not willing to giove us any techs :hmm: ... let's hammer her further and see if she relents

- I may have started the Great Library and Great Lighthouse too late ... but on the bright side, if we don't built them, we get some gold out of it.

- I started a galley to prevent Hatty from trying to launch a sea attack

- We plundered 150 gold from Memphis. I spent them all by pushing the slider to 100% science for some turns. We are trailing in tech, and our GNP is pathetic. I think we may have to get this war over with soon, and starts rebuilding our economy.

- On hindsight, one :smoke: on my part, I should have built the catapults first befor ethe swordman and elephant. This way, the catapults can join in the bombardment while the sword/ele is being built ...

- Autolog, if interested:
Spoiler :

Turn 150 (800 AD)
Pasargadae grows: 9
Pasargadae finishes: Lighthouse
Pi-Ramesses finishes: Granary

Turn 151 (820 AD)
Pasargadae begins: Swordsman
Pi-Ramesses begins: Barracks
Catapult promoted: Combat I
Pasargadae finishes: Swordsman
Heliopolis grows: 8
Heliopolis finishes: War Elephant
Arbela grows: 4
Arbela finishes: Lighthouse

Turn 152 (840 AD)
Pasargadae begins: Swordsman
Heliopolis begins: War Elephant
Arbela begins: Galley

Turn 153 (860 AD)
Heliopolis's borders expand

Turn 154 (880 AD)
Catapult promoted: Barrage I
Susa finishes: Swordsman
Swordsman defeats (6.00/6): Egyptian Swordsman <- hatty get impatient, and suicide her swordsman.

Turn 155 (900 AD)

Turn 156 (920 AD)
Catapult loses to: Egyptian Horse Archer (3.12/6) <- suicide attack, causing multiple collateral damages
War Elephant promoted: Combat I
Swordsman defeats (4.32/6): Egyptian Archer
Swordsman defeats (1.92/6): Egyptian Archer
Swordsman defeats (5.34/6): Egyptian Spearman
War Elephant defeats (6.88/8): Egyptian Horse Archer
Captured Memphis (Hatshepsut) <- new resource = sugar
Pasargadae finishes: Swordsman
Arbela grows: 5

Turn 157 (940 AD)
Pasargadae begins: The Great Lighthouse
Pasargadae grows: 10
Heliopolis finishes: War Elephant

Turn 158 (960 AD)
Heliopolis begins: Catapult
Persepolis grows: 9
Persepolis finishes: The Hanging Gardens
Christianity has spread: Pi-Ramesses

Turn 159 (980 AD)
Persepolis begins: The Great Library
Susa begins: Catapult

Turn 160 (1000 AD)

- That's it, the save: (who's UP? bobrath in lieu of oldbustedjorn?)

Good turns GreyFox! I know I didn't leave you with a lot of units ready for the war... I had spent so much of my turnset taking care of the pillaging forces in our lands.

I think we should *try* to keep the war going if possible... I would love to take Thebes; but that is a TON of archers!

Yes, bobrath is up, taking the place of oldbustedjorn:

Roster:
player 1: Maquis ---
player 2: Greyfox --- Just played
player 3: bobrath --- UP!
player 4: eektor --- on deck
player 5: sozopol ---

I'm aware of being up. Will get it tonight when I get off work. I'll go back and reread the thread to make sure I'm up on the rules.

If I have any choice... Hatty will be taken down a ton of notches. Massive pillaging at the least. Course we'll see once I actually get into the game!

Beautiful turns, guys, and good reports too. Things are definitely looking up!

@Maquis: thanks for cleaning up my mess (pillagers)
@Fox: love the reporting style
@bobrath: good luck!

Yes "looking up".....

We lost, but then retook Memphis. Hattie pillaged our clams way up by Pasargadae. Were on the wrong side of numerous RNG snafus. Got beat to the Great Library. Oh and Tokugoua decided to accept peace with Hatty. That all means she was winning far too much.

I managed to pillage her horses at least. Should limit her war chariots and horse archers for a bit.

I've taken peace with Hatty (10g + 1gpt). It allows us to reset our troops. Heal up and prepare better. We just didn't have enough cities turning out military.

Too late I noticed we had a sleeping Great Prophet... He could have taught us Theology which would have granted us Theocracy - which will help in building units. I've left him awake for the next player. I highly suggest we go ahead and "waste" him on Theology before our next war.

We did complete music (no free GA) and drama so our cultural power is still well in tact. I've tasked our wise men with researching currency to improve our miserable GNP. I'd highly suggest chopping near pasagarde to make sure we complete the great lighthouse (8 turns left I believe).

If our next attack (if we so desire) on Hatty, I'd suggest considering leaving her capital alone and taking away the holy city of Alexandria (Taoism). Just a thought, but I've left units mostly in memphis as its the best location for a launch.

Sorry folks, not many screen shots cause it was more disappointing then good. Here's our current world:

We have plenty of reasons to attack Hatty again. HOWEVER we're technologically way behind lots of the other Civs. Next up should consider tech trading to maybe give us a chance here. The pillaging and peace settlement gave us a bit of a buffer for research, but we're still only at 50% at -5. Our GNP is shot to heck. Good thing our culture is out the roof. Too bad we're not pressuring any cities with our culture right now.

Turnlog:
Spoiler :

Turn 160 (1000 AD)
Heliopolis grows: 10
Axeman loses to: Egyptian Horse Archer (2.16/6)
User comment: He never had a chance to do much for me

Turn 161 (1010 AD)
User comment: GL finished in a faraway land
Swordsman promoted: City Raider I
Catapult promoted: Barrage I
Tech learned: Music
Arbela's borders expand
Swordsman loses to: Egyptian War Chariot (2.00/5)

Turn 162 (1020 AD)
Research begun: Drama
Persepolis begins: Notre Dame
Swordsman defeats (4.80/6): Egyptian War Chariot
Swordsman promoted: Cover
User comment: Drama so we can push our cultural borders
User comment: Tok makes peace with Hatty...
Heliopolis finishes: Catapult

Turn 163 (1030 AD)
Heliopolis begins: Swordsman
Memphis begins: Hindu Temple
War Elephant promoted: Combat II
Susa finishes: Catapult
War Elephant defeats (8.00/8): Egyptian Horse Archer
War Elephant loses to: Egyptian Spearman (0.64/4)
User comment: one of our elephants was heading west to pillage and search

Turn 164 (1040 AD)
War Elephant promoted: Flanking I
Catapult loses to: Egyptian Archer (3.00/3)
User comment: suicide cat after defenses down to 0%
Swordsman loses to: Egyptian Archer (0.12/3)
User comment: 89.7 odds and the sword loses....

Turn 165 (1050 AD)
Swordsman promoted: Combat I
Swordsman promoted: Combat II
Arbela finishes: Galley
Pi-Ramesses finishes: Barracks
Memphis's borders expand
Archer loses to: Egyptian War Chariot (3.00/5)
Memphis lost

Turn 166 (1060 AD)
Arbela begins: Jewish Temple
Pi-Ramesses begins: Swordsman
User comment: and a sneaky chariot caps Memphis from us...
Swordsman defeats (6.00/6): Egyptian War Chariot
User comment: oh and I recaptured memphis right away.
Memphis's borders expand
Captured Memphis (Hatshepsut)
Pasargadae's borders expand
Galley defeats (0.10/2): Egyptian Galley
User comment: chose to let it attack us instead of attacking it. Used the coastal defense to our advantage.

Turn 167 (1070 AD)
User comment: I take peace with Hatty for 10 g + 1gpt. We just didn't have the forces there. I did pillage her horses tho
Pi-Ramesses begins: Christian Temple
Heliopolis finishes: Swordsman

Turn 168 (1080 AD)
Susa begins: Christian Monastery
Heliopolis begins: Christian Monastery

Turn 169 (1090 AD)
Tech learned: Drama
Pi-Ramesses's borders expand
Memphis's borders expand

Turn 170 (1100 AD)
Research begun: Currency
Memphis begins: Theatre
User comment: Vicky completed the Colossus
User comment: Clams got pillaged by Pasargadae so once the Great Lighthouse finishes (chop!!) need to rebuild those

Save:

In VQ02, although amplified by city placement, we took out hatty first, at the expense of research. In VQ01, although on noble, we paces ourselves better IMO. I would recommend 15-20 turns rebuilding, then worry about hatty - its not like she is going to get that powerful.

You could also try getting someone else to attack her. I forget, did we pick an ally?

Too bad luck wasn't with you, bob, and your first resource collection adventure turn out to be more of a disappointment. Don't worry, things would look better next time, I promise.

Agree with oldbustedjorn though ... we need to start rebuilding our economy.

Not too sure abt taking Alexandria next time we have war, since (1) Alexandria is pretty far, so the addition of the Taoist holy city may be more of a burden than boost economically in the short term ... plus (2) not too sure if the taoist holy city has a shrine.

-

Top Bottom