VQ04 - Revenge!

An Apology First

First off, an apology ... went overboard and played 1 turn more .... :spank: :wallbash: :crazyeye:

From The Wonder Department

I MM'ed Rome initially to get stonehedge 1 turn earlier,
and then when the quarry was done, look at this:

Stonehedge immediately falls to 2 turns. No chop necessary. :D

And you know what that means, right? Right? RIGHT??

Overwhelmed with the success of stonehedge, I pursued Pyramids next ... :eek: ...
... and sure enough, as they say, determination is the key to success,
with one chop, we get both stone-age wonder:

The timing was just excellent,
the iron was hooked just when the triangular pile of stones was built,
... and you should know what Rome started building ... right? Right? RIGHT??

Turn 90 (625 BC)
Rome begins: Oracle

:eek: ...

... opps, sorry, wrong game :crazyeye: :lol:
I am not that crazy ;)

Turn 90 (625 BC)
Rome begins: Praetorian

-- To Be Continued --​

From The Research Department

IBT 1120 BC: Pottery was in ...

IBT 875 BC: Writing was next ...

and we are researching Mathematics ...
you know what that means, right? Right? RIGHT??

And now, From The Unhappy News Department

Well, as a VQ SG in Prince, things don't go that smoothly for us.

Firstly, there goes bobrath's 2nd city site ...

Then, I was eyeing for greydot when we finally built our 3rd settler ...

:aargh: Damn the Japs [pissed] !!!

From Foreign Affairs Department

A few of the "enemies" approached us for open borders, including both Americans, Hatty, and Mansa. Rejected all except Mansa, since we don't even know where he is. On hindsight, that was probably a :smoke:. Should have OB with one of the civ with religion, so that we can acquired religion. What the hell, what is done is done. Next player may wish to correct that, since we have writing.

From the I-Love-Screenshots Department

From the I-Love-Statistics-Too Department

- one wonders why Washington (and which American's washington is that!! :crazyeye:) beats our two-wonders-city. Likely due to a shrine.

After-Turns Notes

- Power-wise, we are not doing very good ... but that will be remedied once all 3 cities start producing praets (chop, chop, chop!). I do have a spearman built though, currently exporing the north of Rome for a suitable site for our settler.

- Speaking about sites, its not looking good. (EDIT2: Probably my fault for going after the Pyramids instead of settler). Next city should definitely be up north to halt the japanese. We could squeeze in one more city towards the SW of Rome, but if we are going to hit Vicky first, we might as well wait to capture the cities. If determined, I suspect the 2nd player in line may be able to declare on Vicky early in his turnsets, if the next player starts producing ample praets. Don't forget to mix an archer or two in it to secure captured cities.

- Again, sorry for going overboard with the One.More.Turn ...

EDIT: autolog --
Spoiler :

Turn 70 (1200 BC)
GreyFox: MM'ed Rome to get stonhedge 1 turn earlier

Turn 71 (1160 BC)
Cumae grows: 2

Turn 72 (1120 BC)
GreyFox: stone connected, stonehedge become 2 turns, no need to chop, just cross finger and pray ...
Tech learned: Pottery
Antium finishes: Archer

Turn 73 (1080 BC)
Research begun: Writing
Antium begins: Granary
Rome finishes: Stonehenge

Turn 74 (1040 BC)
Rome begins: The Pyramids
Antium grows: 3

Turn 75 (1000 BC)
GreyFox: Antium grows, but immediately starved, I have no choice but to whip the granary.
Antium finishes: Granary

Turn 76 (975 BC)
Antium begins: Archer

Turn 77 (950 BC)
Cumae finishes: Work Boat
Archer defeats (2.67/3): Barbarian Warrior

Turn 78 (925 BC)
Cumae begins: Settler

Turn 79 (900 BC)
Antium begins: Spearman

Turn 80 (875 BC)
GreyFox: Mansa asked for OB, agree for now
Tech learned: Writing

Turn 81 (850 BC)
Research begun: Mathematics

Turn 82 (825 BC)
GreyFox: Washington asked for OB, denied.
Rome grows: 6
Antium's borders expand
Cumae's borders expand

Turn 83 (800 BC)
GreyFox: Hatty asked for OB, denied.
Antium finishes: Spearman

Turn 84 (775 BC)
GreyFox: Roosy asked for OB, denied.
Antium begins: Spearman

Turn 85 (750 BC)

Turn 86 (725 BC)

Turn 87 (700 BC)

Turn 88 (675 BC)
Antium grows: 3

Turn 89 (650 BC)
Rome finishes: The Pyramids
Cumae finishes: Settler

Turn 90 (625 BC)
Cumae begins: Granary
Antium grows: 4

Turn 91 (600 BC)

Roster
player 1: Maquis --
player 2: eektor --
player 3: bobrath --
player 4: GreyFox -- Just Played
player 5: sozopol -- UP
player 6: oldbustedjorn -- ready to jump in?

Someone better PM sozopol (ok, I will), he has not post anything on this thread so not sure if he want his revenge or not.

The save:

@bobrath: Great call on the techs. I was thinking the same thing about hunting -> Archery. Good call on the mysticism! We need to get culture going to get borders popping.

Great to see that this VQ game is living up to the reputation! First 4 turnsets done in 3 days! :worship:

Looks like we're getting pinched in - in a hurry. Needless to say, I think we need to be cautious on our early war(s). I think that was our mistake in VQ03 - too many little skirmishes, and that set us back. I say we need to get a little more buildup this time. I think it is critical we don't do too little in a war, especially with Vicky. We all know how spiteful she is! We will hurt her, and we hurt her BAD! Either wipe her out, or leave her with one crappy city.

If anything, let's show that these last two losses have taught us all to be better warmongers!

Hi folks- I'm getting squeezed with work and family stuff, so I'm thinking that, rather than slow you guys down maybe I should sit this one out. Thanks for including me and I will still definitely lurk... and I'm looking forward to VQ05.

PS-Give Toku an extra kick in the ass for me, that vicious worm! Bashi-bazouk! Ectoplasm!

Ok, just an update to the roster:

Roster
player 1: Maquis -- on deck (possibly UP?)
player 2: eektor --
player 3: bobrath --
player 4: GreyFox -- Just Played
player 5: oldbustedjorn -- ready to jump in?

I can play any day (well, evening) so I'll wait for OBJ to chime in what works for him... I can do a swap, or a skip...

Which civic did you pick from the pyramids?

Normally, I would automatically choose representation this early in the game... but we should look seriously at police state for war times, even for buildup (+25% military production) Get those praets out FAST! I assume we get the 25% bonus added to chops as well?? :evil:

Lets not forget with Cumae we can do some exploring of the water. A work boat can still explore for us (at least until we get sailing). Never know what might open up to us for expansion across the water.

Vicky pretty much has to go to war with the expansive (and religion having) Hatty. She's got the most power, but lowest score. I hate the idea of aligning with Hatty, but we could pick up some good relationship points if we let her pull us into a war with Vikcy (or worse case vice versa). Remember tho that her expansive trait means she'll win cultural border wars (Nottingham is already under pressure). We might consider aligning with Vicky to pull down the higher scoring Hatty - esp since Vicky has the power to do it. Dunno on that tho.

Alternativly Tokugowa will have no allies, so he might be a better choice for first targets. He'll have War Elephants, but I saw no evidence of iron in his borders. It won't be as satisfying, but sometimes you have to do things you don't like.

We're going to get religious pressure from both sides (Hatty and Washington), esp once Roosevelt and or Vicky get religion. We need to be aligned with one of those blocks - don't get our own religion! VQ04 is a great example of religion just pushing us all over the map. Get in a religious block for the early and midgame (then of course later take our brethern of the faith to meet their maker!).

IMO, lets get a truly massive (AI sized) SoD or two and then decide who we want to take down. We've got Praets so lets put them in effect. If an AI asks us to help them... do it unless we're on the wrong religious block. and getting a religion is going to be huge so lets see if we can encourage a religion to spread. BTW, OB doesn't really hurt us anymore as there aren't many places for a settler to put down roots. I'd suggest we found a city NW of Rome unless you want to hold out hope for something across the water from Cumae.

OK, I'm going to post a "got it". Hopefully oldbustedjorn doesn't mind.

I'm going to go heavy into praet construction, and I may look to push out a settler also. I'll play the last round of 20.

Well I focused a lot on war buildup. Hopefully we'll be ready soon. I still don't know who our target should be...

Turn 0: OK, most things look good. I do revolt to police state.

Roosevelt, just where do you think you're going??

I think he's probably headed out to the junk penninsula to our SE... oh well, should be easy pickings later!

Turn 2: Huh? what was he thinking? The AI is really stupid sometimes... I suppose he wanted our copper... but he'll never get it!

Turn 4: Neopolis founded north of Rome. It's not the best city site, but can work the gold, and has at least one floodplain. At this point we are about out of room! I guess we'll have to :hammer: ourselves some new cities!

Most of the rest of the turns were building Praets and other military. We're getting a decent stack, but I think this game we want to have a little overkill on the offensive side.

Spoiler :

Turn 91 (600 BC)

Turn 92 (575 BC)

Turn 93 (550 BC)
Rome finishes: Praetorian

Turn 94 (525 BC)
Neapolis founded
Neapolis begins: Archer
Antium grows: 5
Antium finishes: Spearman
Cumae grows: 2
Cumae finishes: Granary

Turn 95 (500 BC)
Antium begins: Praetorian
Cumae begins: Archer
Neapolis begins: Granary

Turn 96 (475 BC)
Antium grows: 6
Cumae finishes: Archer

Turn 97 (450 BC)
Cumae begins: Work Boat
Tech learned: Mathematics

Turn 98 (425 BC)
Warrior defeats (2.00/2): Barbarian Warrior
Tribal village results: experience
Research begun: Construction
Antium finishes: Praetorian
Confucianism founded in a distant land

Turn 99 (400 BC)
Antium begins: Archer

Turn 100 (375 BC)
Rome begins: Archer
Cumae grows: 3

Turn 101 (350 BC)
Rome's borders expand
Rome finishes: Archer
Cumae finishes: Work Boat
Neapolis grows: 2

Turn 102 (325 BC)
Rome begins: Worker
Antium begins: Library
Cumae begins: Barracks

Turn 103 (300 BC)
Neapolis's borders expand

Turn 104 (275 BC)

Turn 105 (250 BC)
Rome finishes: Worker
Cumae grows: 4

Turn 106 (225 BC)
Moses (Great Prophet) born in Rome

Turn 107 (200 BC)

Turn 108 (175 BC)

Turn 109 (150 BC)
Rome begins: Archer
Cumae finishes: Barracks
Neapolis grows: 3

Turn 110 (125 BC)

I don't really know who our first target should be. Vicky seems to be well liked, everyone but Toka is pleased with her:

Not sure if the next person up will be ready to take on someone, I know I was starting to get a trigger finger... but I held off...

Here's the save:

Got it. I'll play tonight.

The reason why I think we should get Vicky is their are horses near us and she has a city close to it ... and she's the one I don't like the most. :lol: Any other ideas on who we could benefit more by going to war with first?

Edit: Oh who has a religion and a shrine? That could help us a lot.

I still think Vicky is our best choice, since she is so close... (and, ok, after what she did to us in VQ02! :mad:) Another thing I should have pointed out, she is up there in power (although we are the most powerful) So we have to watch our back.

I do think we need to attack soon, before longbows start showing up... that may not be long.

Edit: Oh who has a religion and a shrine? That could help us a lot.

Well, Vicky founded confusinism... she my not have the shrine yet, but we do have a Prophet... (Sorry, forgot to point that out) he's sleeping in Rome...

Attack, attack, go go go, eektor!! :hammer: :hammer: Attack everyone!!

Ok, ignore me, its my warmonger personality yelling ...

Looking at the turn log, we have like 5 praets, 2 spears built? I say build one or two more praets and its time to start hammering. Vicky gets my vote. Since she has the holy city, and is close to us, and she must answer for her crimes in VQ02 and VQ03.

How many turns to construction?

-

Remember, Hatty is the next over from Vicky and with her creative trait will be putting more pressure on our newly aquired cities right away.

Add that to a possible religious conflict and we're looking to have to go to war with Hatty soon after Vicky. Are we ready for that?

I guess the reason I'm pushing for Tokugowa is that we can stop the war with him and not be forced into another war right away (imo). He does have horses too (nw of our capital).

Now with Roosevelt settling in so close, we have two civs that will dislike us for border pressure reasons (thanks FDR).

I'm still suprised we don't have a religion spread to us yet. Did we not open borders to one of the relgious civs? Religion will make a dent in the coming war weariness (and will allow Theocracy to make our units better).

and comeone Maquis, no world map? I saw that you built a work boat, so what did you find to the south and where's the pic of our fourth city location????? I'm ever so starved!

Sorry about the no pic on what's to our south... there's a lot of tundra, with maybe some room for a fishing village or two, but they would be junk... I wasn't sure we want to be building "junk" cities in this game... we have plenty of cities ripe for the taking :)

If I get a chance I will open the save and show what is to the south...

bobrath has a point on attacking Toku first. He seems to be the only one expanding peacefully without close borders tension, so once we assimilated his cities under the VQers flags, we will be able to do a post-war rebuild of our economy pretty fast.

However, vicky cannot be left alone for long ... the problem with the English is you must attack them fairly early, they get more and more powerful as time goes by.

What we could do is to take out toku first, effectively cutting the pangea into two, with us in the center. Then we can take out the western civs (vicky and Hatty), and then deal with the eastern civs (both Americans). I'm still unsure where Mansa is.

In this case, we may want to cultivate an amicable relationship with the americans first, to keep our eastern front peaceful while we set our eyes up north and then westward.

Someone also mentioned joining forces with vicky to take out Hatty. But apparently, Vicky and Hatty are quite firendly (at least Hatty is pleased with Vicky).

Roosy can't possibly steal our copper. He is more likelly eyeing for the sheep and the wine. Plus, he cut us off that small southern penisula where the sheep is.

-

Top Bottom