VQ04 - Revenge!

Ouch! Sorry guys, I wasn't ready for war and Vicky attacked and I lost! ... Oh wait wrong game. :D Well, I was able to avenge Vicky for what she did to us in VQ02 and also for gotm3 for me. :cool: Here's my turnset:

Preturn: 125 BC

Everything is looking good for war. I'm going to wait a turn or two. I'll make sure to bring the warrior with the medic promotion to be in my main stack. Also, I'll keep the Great Prophet to use to get the shrine for Confucianism.

Turn 2: 75 BC

Declared war on Vicky! :hammer: :hammer:

Turn 3: 50 BC

Nottingham captured.
:spank: Do you like that, Vicky? Well there's plenty more of that coming. You're not getting off that easily.

Turn 5 - 8: 1 AD - 75 AD
Boring war stuff. The cities are producing praets, archers, spearmen, and axeman. Mostly praets.

Turn 9: 100 AD
York captured and its the Confucious holy city too.
Alright Vicky, I'll stop the :hammer: for now, only so I can let the others get their chance with you!

Turn 10: 125 AD

Ouch I lost my city defense 2 archer to a chariot. What bad luck. Don't worry I clean up the units that Vicky brought in our area.

Afterturn comments:

I really don't know how much cities Vicky has left. I know there's at least one, maybe 2. I was bringing the great prophet to York to build the shrine. We might want to spread Confucious a bit so we could get more shrine income and help the economy a bit. The next person should be ready to advance to the next city with the main stack within 2 turns or so.

Here's the autolog:
Spoiler :

Turn 110 (125 BC)
Cumae begins: Praetorian
Rome finishes: Archer
Antium finishes: Library
Cumae grows: 5

Turn 111 (100 BC)
Rome begins: Archer
Antium begins: Praetorian
Rome finishes: Archer
Neapolis finishes: Granary

Turn 112 (75 BC)
Rome begins: Spearman

Turn 113 (50 BC)
Praetorian defeats (6.72/8): English Archer
Praetorian defeats (3.92/8): English Archer
Praetorian defeats (3.92/8): English Spearman
Buddhism has spread: Nottingham
Captured Nottingham (Victoria)
Antium finishes: Praetorian
Cumae finishes: Praetorian

Turn 114 (25 BC)
Praetorian promoted: City Raider I
Praetorian promoted: City Raider II
Rome finishes: Spearman

Turn 115 (0 AD)
Rome begins: Library
Archer promoted: City Garrison I
Cumae grows: 6

Turn 116 (25 AD)
Archer promoted: City Garrison I
Neapolis finishes: Archer

Turn 117 (50 AD)
Neapolis begins: Archer
Nottingham begins: Barracks
Praetorian defeats (6.88/8): Barbarian Archer
Praetorian defeats (6.64/8): English Axeman

Turn 118 (75 AD)
Cumae begins: Axeman
Spearman promoted: Combat I
Archer defeats (2.46/3): English Axeman

Turn 119 (100 AD)
Archer promoted: City Garrison II
Praetorian defeats (5.28/8): English Archer
Praetorian defeats (5.12/8): English Spearman
Confucianism has spread: York
Captured York (Victoria)
Neapolis begins: Barracks
Worker loses to: English Chariot (4.00/4)
Spearman defeats (3.44/4): English Chariot
Archer loses to: English Chariot (0.16/4)

Turn 120 (125 AD)
Antium begins: Archer
Praetorian defeats (2.40/8): English Spearman
Praetorian defeats (5.28/8): English Chariot
Praetorian defeats (8.00/8): English Chariot

Here's some screenshots:
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

:eek: ... there goes bob's grand plan of attacking toku first! :lol:

Okay, now that we are committed, let's wipe vicky off the face of the earth once and for all.

:goodjob: eektor! Capturing two cities. Next player may want to whip the barracks out of the ex-english cities (just for the spite of it :o).

Judging from Vicky's score before the war, the names of cities, and the 3-expansion cultural border from the cultral view screenshot, I'll say Vicky ha sonly one city remaining -- London. Suggest moving fast and take London out.

-

Now that we have committed in one direction, I would suggest taking Hatty out next. Do it while we can. and worry abt economy later. Maybe not completely, but we must, else the sheer cultural pressure of her cities would gives us lots of headache.

I think we need one more worker to hasten the post-war rebuilding ... the capitol of England should provide us with some though.

Great going guys, keep the rage on!!! :hammer: :hammer:

-

EDIT:

Worker loses to: English Chariot (4.00/4)

:eek: ... how did this happen? ... ah, nevermind, we would rescue him soon enough ...

Hmm I didn't even see that, losing the worker. I guess I was:smoke: a little.

As for the Toku, I saw bob's post, I didn't see your last one, and I thought most of us agreed on Vicky. Besides when I got the save our SoD was right on the border of Nottingham, so I just decided to go ahead with the English.

Edit: I captured 2 workers. Lost 1, so we got 1 more worker than before.

Besides when I got the save our SoD was right on the border of Nottingham,

Of course, that was my doing :wavey: I guess my subliminal message worked. :lol:

I concur with GreyFox, by looking at the culture map. Vicky only has London left. Let's take it out! We shall be AVENGED!!

Roster
player 1: Maquis --
player 2: eektor -- Put the :hammer: down
player 3: bobrath -- Up!
player 4: GreyFox -- on deck
player 5: oldbustedjorn --

Hmm ... the autolog does not report capturing of workers ....

Its okay to start off with vicky ... I was undecided anyway. Its either taking out Vicky + Hatty, or taking out Toku. The latter might be easier, but the former might serve us better in the long run eliminating the score leader first.

-

There was 1 worker in each city when I captured them. I guess it didn't show in the autolog.

@Maquis - well now you know all you have to do is put some subliminal message in your turnset for me and I'll do what you want.

*cheers from the bleacher seats*

:clap: :banana: :woohoo: :cheers:

And remember: keep a healthy stash of units in those cities bordering Japan... :mad:

and in true form... here's my turnset (before any of you can tell me what to do!!!)

At one point, Proposed we trade nothing for peace.... pfft. Instead I took London. I took a large number of screen shots of the preparation: Here's a nice compilation I call "OverKILL":

Well we didn't lose a single unit (love our praets) here's the combat:
Praetorian defeats (5.12/8): English Swordsman
Praetorian defeats (4.16/8): English Archer
Praetorian defeats (6.64/8): English Archer
Praetorian defeats (8.00/8): English Spearman

Yeah... pretty easy and we got a settler >> worker out of the deal. 3 turns more and London will convert.

As soon as York flipped, I built the Kong Miao. I have not converted to a religion for a few reasons:
1) We have no civics to take advantage of it
2) Connverint to our own religion will only give us negative relationship points
3) Hatty is happily sending missionaries into our towns to convert them to buddhism.

As of the end of my turn we have 3 Buddhist cities and 3 Confused cities. I'd suggest converting to Buddhism, if only to make Hatty happy (along with Mansa Musa). I'd still spread both religions throughout the lands to help with unhappy war hating citizens.

BTW, three of our cities were on Avoid Growth... BAD FORM. At least mention it in your save. Lost a good chunk of turns on Rome as it had an extra happy slot available. All three cities are now building Colloseums (and should be whipped asap). The :whipped: will reduce the happy (if you take 2 pop points for it) AND gets us the +2 happy coloseum faster.
User comment: Whip the Colosseum in Rome now
User comment: When Antium finishes Colosseum, take off Avoid Growth
User comment: As soon as you can whip Cumae - do so to reduce unhappy

Currently researching Metal Casting for the Forges (and to lead to Machinery). Due in 5 turns (90% @ -25). Will need to reduce research when London comes on board as our maintenance will go through the roof. Treasury of 196g right now.

Oh... Vicky has at least one more city:

and we're well equipped to remove it!

I've got a second SoD setting up in Nottingham right now for the (has to come) attack on Hatty:

Here's London (forces wounded in battle healing up there til defenses arrive):

BTW, Tokugowa wanted me to cancel deals with Hatty and I refused. She's is worst enemy so we got -2 for that choice...

The standard Culture and Demographics:

Spoiler :

Turn 120 (125 AD)
User comment: Roosevelt thought Vicky was a friend, and we have close borders... He'll be the first to come after us.
Antium finishes: Archer
Cumae finishes: Axeman
Nottingham's borders expand

Turn 121 (150 AD)
Antium begins: Walls
Cumae begins: Archer
Axeman promoted: Combat I
Praetorian promoted: Combat I
Praetorian promoted: Shock
Tech learned: Construction
Rome finishes: Library
Axeman defeats (2.30/5): English Axeman

Turn 122 (175 AD)
Research begun: Metal Casting
Rome begins: Praetorian
Axeman promoted: Shock
User comment: Metal Casting next for the hammer improvement.
Antium finishes: Walls
Cumae finishes: Archer

Turn 123 (200 AD)
Cumae begins: Catapult
York begins: Barracks
Antium begins: Archer
York finishes: The Kong Miao
User comment: I won't convert religions yet to keep relations down AND we get no benefit from it since we have no cities except york under it.
User comment: and I :whipped: the barracks in Nottingham.
Cumae grows: 7
Nottingham grows: 3
Nottingham finishes: Barracks
York's borders expand
Confucianism has spread: Niani (Malinese Empire)

Turn 124 (225 AD)
Nottingham begins: Library
Praetorian defeats (8.00/8): English Archer
Rome finishes: Praetorian
Antium finishes: Archer

Turn 125 (250 AD)
Rome begins: Colosseum
Antium begins: Colosseum
User comment: and VIcky has no iron now
Rome grows: 7
Cumae finishes: Catapult

Turn 126 (275 AD)
Cumae begins: Catapult
User comment: Tokugowa wants us to cancel deals with Hatty.... Not yet my friend.
Confucianism has spread: Cumae

Turn 127 (300 AD)
User comment: Vicky offers us NOTHING for peace!!!!
Buddhism has spread: Rome

Turn 128 (325 AD)
Praetorian defeats (5.12/8): English Swordsman
Praetorian defeats (6.64/8): English Archer
Confucianism has spread: London (English Empire)
Confucianism has spread: London
Captured London (Victoria)
User comment: Hmmm.... Vicky has one more city!
Cumae finishes: Catapult
Buddhism has spread: Neapolis

Turn 129 (350 AD)
Cumae begins: Colosseum

Turn 130 (375 AD)
User comment: Tok HATES Hatty

All of our eastern border cities have at least two archers and I think walls. We're ok for now. Roosevelt and Tokugowa are the most likely to attack based on relation points. No worries yet, I think Hatty is the only one way out in tech, but I'm not sure as we don't have Alphabet yet!!!

Enjoy!

The Save File:

:wow: this game is going on very fast! shall we rename ourselves to EQ (Extremely Quick)?

:goodjob: bob! I am surprised at vicky, seems like she has 2 more cities judging from the cultural border. She must be settling while we are taking her cities. Guys, you all want to take those cities or raze them? It would burn a hole in our coffers if we keep them. They are also deep into Hatty's territory. Alternatively, we could gift them to Hatty to bribe her to war with Toku :D ... and we backstab her :mischief: :evil: :satan:

-

EDIT: By the way, this is my got-it. Will player later tonight or tomorrow morning.

-

My thought was to take London because we all know first city sites rock (and it does - whales!). Anything past that tho just makes for a huge border to defend against Hatty. Unless we come across a peach of a city, I'd raize the rest of Vicky. We need to eliminate here, if only to reduce the "return to motherland" unhappy penalty.

If you think we could bribe Hatty into a war, then go for it. I just don't want to get saddled with the defense and upkeep of a far flung empire (how long until state property?)

I think she was settling as we aggressed. There was a settler built in London on the turn she propsed peace.

BTW, I'm guessing that Mansa is NW of Hatty - pure guesswork tho.

We've got 1 maybe two wars left before Longbows get researched and cancel our praet advantage. Tho praets will still be great for pillaging during the longbow era.

York is pumping 10 cpt so we should steal the wheat in 3-4 turns. That will prolly upset Hatty a bit (no border pressure penalty yet).

London's Marble and Silver should help out when it comes out of revolt - kinda wishing I didn't raize her iron mine norht of London, but I didn't want Hatty getting a free mine AND I wanted to stop and swords Vickiy might be looking to build (the turn after I removed the iron she came asking for peace).

(Total aside, but I remember the good old days when you captured technology from civs as well as gold when you took their cities - man we could milk the heck out Hatty if that were the case now!)

(Total aside, but I remember the good old days when you captured technology from civs as well as gold when you took their cities - man we could milk the heck out Hatty if that were the case now!)

I hear ya... I still wish there was a way to steal/capture tech from an AI... If anything, you get a tech or two when you eliminate a civ...

Boy, I miss the days of Civ 1... getting a tech when capturing a city... spies being able to steal them...

Just to pipe in on the war situation... I think that Hatty might be best for our next target. I think it would be easier to eliminate the western civs, that way we would only have to focus on the north and east. Less chance of getting attacked from the backside... (Thanks again Toka!)

Special Report

First time ever, in my turn-set report, there will be no screenie of Civ4.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Why?

Becuase Civ4's screenshot screwed up:

What the heck!!??? All 3.898MB? GIMP complains that those files are not jpg, and crashes back to Windows.... :aargh: [pissed]

Good news is this report won't span multiple posts, and I get to use lots and lots of smiles :D

The Extremely Short Report

Well, I don't think anyone is interested in reading 8000 words essay (you know, they say "a picture is worth a thousand words", and on average, I placed 8 screenies in a turnset report), so this is a short one.

To cut a long story extremely short: I spend 10 turns turning vicky into history.

Ok, Ok, A Longer Version

Vicky, as expected, has 2 cities, Cantebury (south, besides the horse) and Hastings (North, Capitol). Hastings is on a hill, and being the capitol, it has a total of +50% defence :eek: Even a City Raider III super-praet has an odd of 33% against a fortied archer.

:nono:, I am not going to waste my prates this way. So, I turn to Cantebury at the south.

That has 0 defence, but tons of archers and a spearman. Okay, I can attack that. Meanwhile, I pull more forces at Nothingham to the west ...

And then, 5 turns into my game, its time to take out the 2nd last city of Vicky. :hammer: Just before that, she moved 2 archers away, apparrent to guard a cornfield which I had pillaged. How stupid can she be!

Turn 135 (500 AD)
Praetorian defeats (4.40/8): English Archer
Praetorian defeats (6.88/8): English Archer
Praetorian promoted: City Raider III
Praetorian defeats (5.12/8): English Archer
Captured Canterbury (Victoria)
Razed Canterbury
Canterbury lost
One worker captured as well

Later, I did Vicky a favor by killing off the two archers that went AWOL when the city they are supposed to be gaurding were under siege.

And then, my scary forces consisting of 2 cats arrived at Hastings.

BOM! BOM! BOM!

They tear the defence down to 12%.... and, at the last of my turnset:

Turn 140 (600 AD)
Nottingham begins: Spearman
Praetorian defeats (5.12/8): English Axeman
Praetorian defeats (5.76/8): English Archer
Buddhism has spread: Hastings
Captured Hastings (Victoria)
Razed Hastings
Hastings lost

Sorry, OBJ, you will have your piece of action some later time :D

Other Notes

- I accepted Gems from Hatty in exchange with Sheeps (Happiness problem solved. How nice of her).

- I accepted OB with Washington.

- Some of our workers are building roads to Toku, in preparation for a future invasion. BTW, Toku hate us (Annoyed).

- Our forces are healing in the west, some of them can be moved before pressing enter. I suggest using them to scout Hatty's defences and offences capability before declaring. She at least has chariots (Egypt's UU), so I built some spearman.

- London is building Barracks, can and should be whipped before pressing enter. It'd also just expanded, and I think I forgot to MM London to work on the southern silver mine. Next player might want to consider that as well.

- Metal Casting is in, I chose Alphabet. Most AIs already have Alphabet (thanks to Hatty, she must have traded with all of them except Toku of-course).

- Alphabet will be learnt in 2 turns, but we will be broke in 2 turns also :D (100% science now). In some of my turns, I was actually forced to run 30% science.

- Some cites are building forges. I don't know if it is worth it to go for Colossus though, we don't have that many costal tiles.

- That's about it. I'm terribly sorry for the lack of screen shots, if anyone of you is really interested in seeing Vicky's cities, let me know, I'll replay some of the earlier turns and put in 1 or 2 screenies.

Spoiler :

Turn 130 (375 AD)
GreyFox: Since Antium is set to avoid growth, why not mazimize hammers?
GreyFox: Set cumae to starve to hasten Colosserum

Turn 131 (400 AD)
Antium's borders expand
Neapolis grows: 4
Confucianism has spread: Boston (American Empire)

Turn 132 (425 AD)
Nottingham grows: 4
York's borders expand
Praetorian defeats (4.40/8): Barbarian Axeman

Turn 133 (450 AD)
London begins: Granary
Antium finishes: Colosseum
Neapolis finishes: Barracks
Nottingham finishes: Library
York finishes: Barracks

Turn 134 (475 AD)
GreyFox: Hatty asked for Sheep , offering Gems. Accepted.
Antium begins: Catapult
Nottingham begins: Granary
York begins: Archer
Tech learned: Metal Casting
Rome finishes: Colosseum
York grows: 3

Turn 135 (500 AD)
Research begun: Alphabet
Rome begins: Forge
Praetorian defeats (4.40/8): English Archer
Praetorian defeats (6.88/8): English Archer
Praetorian promoted: City Raider III
Praetorian defeats (5.12/8): English Archer
Captured Canterbury (Victoria)
Razed Canterbury
Canterbury lost
Axeman defeats (4.30/5): English Archer
Antium finishes: Catapult
Cumae finishes: Colosseum

Turn 136 (520 AD)
Rome grows: 8
Antium grows: 7
Neapolis finishes: Archer
Nottingham finishes: Granary
London's borders expand
London finishes: Granary
Confucianism has spread: Kyoto (Japanese Empire)

Turn 137 (540 AD)
Neapolis begins: Forge
Nottingham begins: Praetorian
London begins: Barracks
Buddhism has spread: Antium
York finishes: Archer
Confucianism has spread: Osaka (Japanese Empire)
Confucianism has spread: Edo (Japanese Empire)

Turn 138 (560 AD)
GreyFox: Washington asked for OB, accepted.
Cumae begins: Forge
York begins: Praetorian
Catapult promoted: Barrage I
Spearman promoted: Medic I

Turn 139 (580 AD)
Antium begins: Forge
Catapult promoted: Barrage I
Antium grows: 8
Nottingham finishes: Praetorian
Christianity founded in a distant land

Turn 140 (600 AD)
Nottingham begins: Spearman
Praetorian defeats (5.12/8): English Axeman
Praetorian defeats (5.76/8): English Archer
Captured Hastings (Victoria)
Razed Hastings
Hastings lost

- The save: (is OBJ ready to take his revenge?)

Wow! we are really moving.

Just wanted to say about the cities on Avoid Growth, that is partially my fault. I noticed something fishy with Rome, like it was at 1 turn to grow for a few turns, but thought I was just imagining things and I quickly forgot with the war going on.

Anyways I just want to make my recommendations so that bobrath ... um i mean greyfox ... Darn it you guys go too quickly!

So did we finish vicky then? If so I would agree with going after Hatty first before Toku just because I imagine at least Nottingham would be feeling the Egyptian culture pressure by now.

Yes, it sounds like Vicky is gone. May I be one of the first to say... Good riddens!!

I'll give oldbustedjorn till tomorrow night for a "got it" otherwise I'll play sometime Saturday. Hopefully he can get in... he needs to get in on the revenge!

Nothing huge to report... I kept it pretty tame, keeping my hand off the :hammer: I was working on rebuilding our empire a bit. Ok, that and Hatty's got Longbows... Still not impossible to take her out, just makes it a little harder on our praets.

Spoiler :

Turn 140 (600 AD)

Turn 141 (620 AD)
Tech learned: Currency
Tech learned: Alphabet
Nottingham grows: 5
York finishes: Praetorian
Confucianism has spread: Kagoshima (Japanese Empire)

Turn 142 (640 AD)
Research begun: Code of Laws
York begins: Granary
Rome finishes: Forge
Nottingham finishes: Spearman
York grows: 4

Turn 143 (660 AD)
Rome begins: Granary
Nottingham begins: Market
Antium grows: 9
London finishes: Barracks

Turn 144 (680 AD)
London begins: Library
Rome finishes: Granary
Worker loses to: Barbarian Swordsman (6.00/6)

Turn 145 (700 AD)
Rome begins: Market
York finishes: Granary

Turn 146 (720 AD)
Praetorian defeats (0.32/8): Barbarian Swordsman
York begins: Library
Antium finishes: Forge
Neapolis grows: 5

Turn 147 (740 AD)
Antium begins: Market
Cumae finishes: Forge
Nottingham grows: 6

Turn 148 (760 AD)
Cumae begins: Market
Antium grows: 10
Cumae grows: 7

Turn 149 (780 AD)
Nottingham's borders expand

Turn 150 (800 AD)
Tech learned: Sailing
Tech learned: Meditation

I did a little trading, getting Currency + 30g from Hatty for Metal Casting, and later Sailing + Meditation + 100g from Roosevelt for Alphabet.

Code of Laws comes in next turn. We'll want to build courthouses at some point, since we're only able to run 50% science right now.

Since we had OB with Hatty, I did a little scouting of her lands. A little pre-war recon, if you will... :evil:

Right now she has 6 cities... I think 3 of them are worth keeping. Memphis has gold and pigs, Heliopolis has gems, and Thebes (buddist holy city) horses and wine.

Roster
player 1: Maquis -- just played
player 2: eektor -- UP
player 3: bobrath -- on deck
player 4: GreyFox --
player 5: oldbustedjorn --

Here's the save:

Pretty good set of turns, building our infracstructure up nicely :D

Looked at the save, some comments for next player:

- a worker is building unworkable farm near japanese border thatis outside any city's BFC:

Whereas, in Antium is working on an unimproved hill.

- London has 7 forests. Suggest chopping the one between the lake and the sheep to a farm so that London can work on the silver mines. Hate to see the two bags of money go to waste.

- Wow, Hatty is indeed quite strong. But I think we can go ahead and declare on her, a swift one. However, befor ethat we nee dto build more catapults. We have hit her hard and fast. Our main forces are at the SW, with a nice small army building up in Northingham. With 6 or more catapults, we can swiftly crushed down two cities, and swift the momentum to our side.

- An alternative is of-course to go for tonku instead, but we will lose much momentum since our main force is so far away.

Top Bottom