WangKon (EC)

The round is officially closed. We'll go ahead and vote for the next 1-2 days. Please remember its not always about voting for the best save but the most interesting or challenging save to take us forward. ( the intention is to try and win the game :lol:)

Please remember to give reasons for your votes and vote for 3 saves. Remember you cannot vote for your own save!

1st = 3pts
2nd =2pts
3rd = 1pts.

The following saves were submitted.

Pnpdredd

ElnSoxo

Dualmaster

Glansmannen

Norvingreen

CBPE

Lymond

Voting will close when either most people have voted or close of voting 6pm Tuesday.

Overall i have not posted a save as I know too much about our island. Sorry again for posting a rather difficult first save due to lack of resources and a creative nut!

1. dualmaster
Because of IW, claimed and working the gems, godd fogbusting, nice city placement and one more worker in the pipeline.
2. NorvinGreen
Also went IW and working the gems soon. Get a couple of workers out and then pump Axes/Swords.
3. Pnpdredd
Culturully got gems, writing in soon. Good fogbusting so no barbproblems although neither IW or archery is in.

I gave a little blurb on each with vote in bold. IW seemed to be the generally theme.

Pnpdredd - 4 decently placed cities although I question settling an FP tile, should have a gem with IW, delayed IW for Writing which should be fine, cities setup to grow some. I like this one the best for potential and being different than the IW bee-line which even I did. I think research will be better for it. (1ST PLACE)

ElnSoxo - invalid Buffy file

Dualmaster - Stonehenge, IW,3 well placed cities with 3 gems, No FP yet and may lose it, good Fog-busting, teching should escalate with gems in place, no freshwater in cap. Always good though for the DM. (2ND PLACE)

Glansmannen - 4th city to block on the way, no IW, questionable city placement, settled FP tile which I generally avoid, still strong though. (3RD PLACE)

Norvingreen - 3 cities, bee-lined IW, researching AG before Pottery, settled gems to far east to block French. Not bad but questionable tech paths

CBPE - 4 cities, settled FP before Louie, IW, archery questionable IMO

Reviewed a few saves. Need to review rest.

Pnp Dredd - 4 cities, 3 workers, no iron working, 3t off writing +13 bpt@50% and granary in capital.

Elnsoxo
3 cities , 1 settler, no IW or writing. +0 science Beakers a turn at 0%. War with french is proving futile as he has 3 cities anyway. I think all the archers are killing the economy.

Dual - Stone henge in capital. (You love that wonder!!) IW teched and we have Iron! :lol: Gems up and running, 3 workers and a lot of good fog busting. You really do make this look easy and the Frech choke has worked well. Wont be able to trade with them now but we are financial.

Glans 3 cities +8bpt @40% 1 settler. No IW or writing.

Norv. +8BPT 3 cities, capital move questionable. War with French soon or culture pressue will kill this game. 2 workers. More workers and axes needed asap!!!

Overall Iron working was key for me as it clears jungle and allows gems. Settling the 2 gems cities helped Dual to make a strong save!

3 Points - Lymond - Overall I like it pretty well. Solid tech, IW soon, a number of cottages running, Stonehenge for early border pops. Being at war with no military techs adds points for being "interesting". :rolleyes: Should spam some warriors and be pillaging french lands. Also unfortunate that Wonsan is not to the east claiming the double gems and blocking the french. Probably not the best save of the bunch, but looks like fun.

2 Points - pnp_dredd - I would have ranked this higher but I think early IW is the way to go on this map. 2 cities have gems tiles in them that can't be worked for a long time to come and without the ability to clear jungle their usefulness is very limited. No good defensive units. But good city locations, sufficient workers, and land soon to be spawnbusted. Note: Wonsan should be running a citizen spec to get the monument up faster.

1 Point - Norvin - Slow expansion, needs more workers. However, ok tech, land can be blocked soon, gems coming online, and IW available for land development. Some axes around for defense, but land should be spawn busted better.

Dual - Stone henge in capital. (You love that wonder!!) IW teched and we have Iron! :lol: Gems up and running, 3 workers and a lot of good fog busting. You really do make this look easy and the Frech choke has worked well. Wont be able to trade with them now.

The funny thing is that I rarely build Stonehenge in my games...but have built it in the two EC games I've played. A couple things made me build it here:

1.) I could see there would be two or three jungle cities - these cities often take a long time to build a monument and thus a long time to pop borders. I wanted to pop borders quickly to close off the land.

2.) I could see that IW was going to be pretty important and there wasn't many good second city sites that would boost my economy. Thus expanding quickly would slow progress toward IW. So in the meantime I grew the cap, spammed warriors, and slipped a wonder in there.

3.) This is more in retrospect, but it looks like a lot of city sites have specials in their outer ring, so the faster border pops will be very useful.

As for the choke, I was fairly fortunate there and had one or two nice die rolls. I only managed to steal a worker because of AI stupidity - he moved his worker 2 tiles from the city and I moved my warrior to block its retreat and stole it on the next turn. I also got hit by an archer or two at pretty even odds and managed to win. If I had lost the warrior earlier Louis would not have been hurt as bad.

We need 4 more votes to close off round. If we have a clear winner that wont be an issue. Overall on my test game I went early for IW. I did like Bobby boy oracle idea for IW.

An early GP priest could be useful on the saves with Stone Henge. Once we have control of island it will be interesting to see how we fair. We could use it for theology if we need a religion.

Sorry, haven't had time to open the saves, so I'm just going off writeups and Gumbolt's analysis. Please let me know if I get anything wrong!

1. Dualmaster - IW and gems hooked up to give 14 beakers/turn. On the way to pottery-writing. Needs to get a city to the north to complete the block on Louis.

2. Norvin - Solid expansion towards Louis. IW but no pottery will hurt our tech rate. Only 8 beakers/turn, and with so few workers it will be a while until we can work gems.

3. Glans - Decent expansion towards Louis. Neither IW or writing up soon. No gems for a while.

Lymond - Solid tech rate with IW coming online soon. Stonehenge. However, Louis will have space for 4-5 cities, and Pyongyang and Pusan are both under cultural pressure already. Will require a cultural battle to get just 1x gems.

Elnsoxo - archer rush, still hanging in the balance. Tech rate is too low.

CBPE - 4 cities is good, but missed the jungle-city block. 6 beakers/turn is low, but we have pottery so a pile of workers could build cottages rapidly. I think Archery was unneccessary given the limited amount of land, and Archers are more expensive than warriors for fog busting.

Comment on pottery vs IW. I still reckon pottery should be first, for a financial leader with access to rivers. This lets you get cottages up 20-30 turns earlier, which makes a big difference 50 turns from now. I went Writing after pottery too, which could be debatable - I would plan for an early academy or two (probably in the cottage-spam FP city). IW probably has the edge over writing in hindsight, mainly due to the +1 happiness.

1st - dualmaster - well thought out plan for SH, iron and choke plus factor in the gems being online and a GP in 27 turns (the save I wish I submitted :) )

2nd - lymond - researching at a good rate (IW in 7 and still making cash)

3rd - pnp_dredd - I kept flip flopping back and forth with lymond's save. I like the city placement better but IF Louis gets agitated it could be trouble.

3 Points - Lymond - Overall I like it pretty well. Solid tech, IW soon, a number of cottages running, Stonehenge for early border pops. Being at war with no military techs adds points for being "interesting". :rolleyes: Should spam some warriors and be pillaging french lands. Also unfortunate that Wonsan is not to the east claiming the double gems and blocking the french. Probably not the best save of the bunch, but looks like fun.

2 Points - pnp_dredd - I would have ranked this higher but I think early IW is the way to go on this map. 2 cities have gems tiles in them that can't be worked for a long time to come and without the ability to clear jungle their usefulness is very limited. No good defensive units. But good city locations, sufficient workers, and land soon to be spawnbusted. Note: Wonsan should be running a citizen spec to get the monument up faster.

1 Point - Norvin - Slow expansion, needs more workers. However, ok tech, land can be blocked soon, gems coming online, and IW available for land development. Some axes around for defense, but land should be spawn busted better.

Thanks, Dual...by the way, the war with Louie is basically a successful worker steal but unsuccessful peace. For some reason, he would not accept peace a turn or so after. Regardless, with this save, with IW in soon I would plan on getting ridding the Isle of Frenchies asap. He simply has to go. If no iron showed up (we obviously know it's there now), my warriors would all proceed to jump into the ocean.:lol:

For the ones who stole a worker(s):

did the worker appear close you warrior or did you declare war also you didn't seen anyone but being sure you'd be able to do it?

I'm asking this cause I've patroled the border continously and all the time, but no one of them appeared! :mad:

For the ones who stole a worker(s):

did the worker appear close you warrior or did you declare war also you didn't seen anyone but being sure you'd be able to do it?

I'm asking this cause I've patroled the border continously and all the time, but no one of them appeared! :mad:

Creative civs are often a problem for worker stealing - the second border pop comes early and the worker is often busy improving tiles in the BFC - thus you can't get there in one turn, so the worker can get to safety before you can steal it.

In my game, I declared war without expecting to capture a worker (just planning to pillage a bit). I got lucky - the AI moved the worker two squares diagonally away from the city and I was able to get my warrior between the worker and the city and captured it the next turn.

@CBPE:
I got a worker steal from Louis building a road to the jungle rice just outside of his capitol's BFC. Second steal was a lucky situation like dualmaster described.

Elnsoxo and CBPE your votes would close off voting. You have both posted but not voted.

Votes so far.

Dualmaster 11
PNPdred 7
Norv 5
Lymond 5
Flans 2

My only question would be to dual. What level do you currently play at? If you are an immortal player you should probably be shadowing. if |Emperor or below we could play on from your save if you win the voting.

My only question would be to dual. What level do you currently play at? If you are an immortal player you should probably be shadowing. if |Emperor or below we could play on from your save if you win the voting.

It would be up to you guys. I've only tried immortal a few times and have not won at that level yet (though that may change shortly!). So I'd say I'm an emperor player. I do agree that my save is strong and it would be up to the players to decide whether to use it or not.

Elnsoxo and CBPE your votes would close off voting. You have both posted but not voted.

Votes so far.

Dualmaster 11
PNPdred 7
Norv 5
Lymond 5
Flans 2

Next days I'll be quite busy, so I'd not have enough time to study the saves properly (I'm just lurking the forum from work)

So, if you want to go on without my vote, for me it's ok.

In my game, I declared war without expecting to capture a worker (just planning to pillage a bit).

This is a tip on which I've never thought.
Did you apply cause French was the only civ you met?

Top Bottom