Warhammer 40,000

ParkCungHee

Deity
Moderator Action: Split from the postmodernism thread.

All I can say is who ever created the 40k canon has some serious issues with their gender and sexual outlook.

All I can say is who ever created the 40k canon has some serious issues with their gender and sexual outlook.
I would say that this is true of geek culture in general. ;) 40k is just the compound of like five hundred different guys' issues.

I would say that this is true of geek culture in general. ;) 40k is just the compound of like five hundred different guys' issues.
No, 40k definitely has something weirder going on. Most Geek culture doesn't involve a cult of bald men kidnapping young boys to raise them in the ways of bald men far away from women in a sexless life of violence that functions as a combination of the Navy and the Clergy.

No, 40k definitely has something weirder going on. Most Geek culture doesn't involve a cult of bald men kidnapping young boys to raise them in the ways of bald men far away from women in a sexless life of violence that functions as a combination of the Navy and the Clergy.
...Fair point. :lol:

Most Geek culture doesn't involve a cult of bald men kidnapping young boys to raise them in the ways of bald men far away from women in a sexless life of violence that functions as a combination of the Navy and the Clergy.

That's pretty much just describing British colonialism, eg 1800s India, though if you stripped away the sci-fi elements, so based in real history.

"Rum, buggery, and the lash!" indeed

That's pretty much just describing British colonialism, eg 1800s India, though if you stripped away the sci-fi elements, so based in real history.
That just took them away from British Women. These guys are taken away to fight genderless bugs and soccer hooligans.

That just took them away from British Women. These guys are taken away to fight genderless bugs and soccer hooligans.
Well, they fight women sometimes. It just so happens that the women in question are demon-whores, sado-masochistic gladiators and shrieking warrior-fanatics. Honestly, when that is the sum of your exposure to the fairer sex, can you blame them for clinging to the Ways of the Bald Men? :crazyeye:

This is why I like the Imperial Guard.

As far as I know the canon has changed a lot since the mid-eighties when the game started. And many of the races were taking from the fantasy game "....in space!!!!!" examples are the space elves/dark elves and dwarves(they were purged in a manner Stalin would have approved of from the records though)

At the same time they added the usual sci-fi elements like space marines, which was obviously inspired from Heinleins Starship Troopers(they were basically based on his discriptions of what those suits could do) and since Aliens had shown how special forces are cool in movies they were an inspiration too(the marines in that movie themselves being inspired by Starship Troopers)

The religious zeal of the space marines I believe is a somewhat new thing they have added to the game(not Grimdark enough I suppose) and it seems it has been in order to give that faction something that makes it stand out in other ways than just being huge armoured ubermenschen.

Ok that was an amazingly geeky post and someone please tell why I remember stuff like this from 5 years ago. And not something useful like astrophysics:crazyeye:

As homoerotic and misogynistic as the space marines may be, they aren't the worst of it. There is a lot more going on.

The Adeptus Sororitas are the all-female militant arm of the Inqusition's heretic hunters. They are as pious as the space marines but, unlike the male counterparts, are weaker. They were originally a cult whose purpose was to (ahem) worship the emperor and act as bodyguards. They are always portrayed as extremely attractive, and, as is every fanboy's dream, canonically have no vow of chastity or even monogamy.

Then there is the Eldar. They created an entire evil god (Slaanesh) because they had too much sex. I'm not kidding.

Now, despite the similarities one might draw between space marines and the Sacred_Band_of_Thebes the general consensus of the community is that homosexuality within the Imperium is illegal. This is mostly because it is never mentioned, and in the Imperium, if it isn't talked about you definitely shouldn't do it.

Warhammer 40k is lots of fun, but Freud would have a field day with all of the psychosexual fodder present within it.

Now, despite the similarities one might draw between space marines and the Sacred_Band_of_Thebes the general consensus of the community is that homosexuality within the Imperium is illegal. This is mostly because it is never mentioned, and in the Imperium, if it isn't talked about you definitely shouldn't do it.
Of course, these are the same Space Marines who cheerfully ignore the Imperial insistence that the Emperor as a literal deity, so who knows what they get up to?

On the other hand I recall some fluff source having an Imperial Guardsman saying "Men, we might not have bolters, but at least our ****s still work."

Well, maybe they're just homoromantic? I'm sure that, after a long day slaughtering the foes of humanity, it's nice to go home to a cuddle.

++Post deleted by request of the Inquisition++
+++The Emperor Protects+++

Whats there to say but MORE DAKKA!!!!

Top Bottom