Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.0

I love the mod. I was just curious as to why you decided to have no scouts? and. Why do some civs have 3 civ bonuses (industrial, commercial, scientific..etc.) while some have only one. I'm not complaining, I was just curious as to your reasoning.

Originally posted by Kindred72
I love the mod. I was just curious as to why you decided to have no scouts? and.

Mainly because there is no way to have civ-specific scouts at the beginning. I can add them as normal units, but for the single scout that comes as a bonus for expansionist civs, it would be the same one human unit (for humans, orcs, chaos etc.). I would also have to redistribute the traits, since now only orcs and chaos are expansionist.
This move also makes halflings more valuable. If you get a halfling village at the beginning, then you can build a serious scout.

Why do some civs have 3 civ bonuses (industrial, commercial, scientific..etc.) while some have only one. I'm not complaining, I was just curious as to your reasoning.

It's not civ3 when unit lines are common, here every faction has different set and some sets are obviously better. Also, there are more "good" factions than "evil" ones, so by the distribution of civ-traits I tried to balance things a bit.

I love a lot the "Warhammer map 140" :goodjob:

Hey, just wanted to let you know that the multiplayer games are working fine now... Thakns for pointing out my stupidity. :) I never realized you could scroll down on the rules list for MP games. :p

BTW, I found a couple bugs/issues:

Playing as wood elves, I can't upgrade eagles, even though the pedia says I should be able to. This goes for the whole line up to griffins. I pre-built a ton of them, expecting to be able to upgrade. :p

Also, Its annoying that if you build the wonder that gives you barracks in all cities (forget the name, but the equivalent of Sun Tzu) you can't build keeps in those cities. You can only build keeps in cities that have a normally-constructed barracks. Late in my game, the only cities I can build keeps in are newly-captured ones that had a barracks already. I'm thinking this might not be fixable, but thought I'd point it out.

I'm having alot of fun with this mod. Very entertaining. :goodjob:

Edit: Actually, now I'm wondering... Will I be able to build banks in all my cities with the wonder that grants free marketplaces in all my cities? I'll try it out when I get home from work.

Originally posted by Owain
Playing as wood elves, I can't upgrade eagles, even though the pedia says I should be able to. This goes for the whole line up to griffins. I pre-built a ton of them, expecting to be able to upgrade. :p

That's not a bug, that's how it is in Civ3 (though it's used only in mods). I use this feature (of making units obsolete) very often. In this example, Griffins make Eagles obsolete, but it would be quite weird if Eagle could upgrade to a Griffin. Unfortunately, Civilopedia will always show the upgrade path, even if the unit can't upgrade directly.

Also, Its annoying that if you build the wonder that gives you barracks in all cities (forget the name, but the equivalent of Sun Tzu) you can't build keeps in those cities. You can only build keeps in cities that have a normally-constructed barracks. Late in my game, the only cities I can build keeps in are newly-captured ones that had a barracks already. I'm thinking this might not be fixable, but thought I'd point it out.

Thanks, I didn't notice it. I won't be able to fix this, since it seems to be another civ3 limitation/bug, but I guess I can't use wonders that give such buildings at all. The Keep is not a problem (it will now require Courthouse), but I'll have to change the The Great Bazaar (the one that gives marketplace) completly.

Thanks for all comments :)

Found another bug you can't upgrade clansman.

Nope!

Originally posted by Coke_Cola
Found another bug you can't upgrade clansman.

Yes, you can't upgrade clansmen. It's not a bug.

About the Great Bazaar - so far I changed it to pay for Trade installations and lowered it's cost. I know it was powerful wonder but should it really remain there if it causes a bug?
The other solution is to remove Marketplace from Merchant's Guild prerequsities. It's less drastic, is it better?

Clarification: each commercial building gives 50% trade bonus. Marketplace also increases happy faces from luxuries, while Bank increases luxury rate by 50%. If you have Marketplace, Merchants' Guild and Bank, you get 150% trade bonus.

I like your map embryodead. I can't wait for the reptile civ. I'm bursting with :rotfl::jump::rotfl::eek:

Here's one for you :beer:

This is an excellent mod. Thanx for all the effort you put into it and then shared wiith us.
The way you gave each civ it's own various units throughout the eras was a great move.
There are only a few problems that I can see, and I've played nearly every civ to experiment.

1) There is "NO" arial combat at all. Would be great if the demons, griffons and dragons could do strafing runs or drop offs.

2) The interaction initiated between the AI and the player is really low. You hardly ever hear requests from the AI. I've yet to be offered a trade of produce.

3) The books of who's the biggest. richest, most powerfull ect...
only pop up once or twice a game.

4) The recon abilities of the various units might as well be nill. recoing 1 or 2 squares away is useless.

5) We need at least 1 sea unit that can carry more than 3 or 4 units. 2 continents at war can be rediculous when you can only transport minimum units at a time. 12 turns to bring 3-4 units during future tech era is crazy.

6) RE: the Dwarves. I never ran across a single unit that could move more than one square at a time. That's a serious disadvantage.

7) RE: Chaos. Considering that the only way to hurry production is to sacrifice citizens, rushing projects to compete at levels higher than chieftan is difficult at the least. I know they have some of the most powerfull units in the game so when the do get to higher eras they have an advantage, but getting there is really tough without any rush ability.

That's all I can offer for now.
Again. Great job and thank you very much. I know this took a massive amount of work. You didn't just make a mod. You made a whole new game worthy of it's own recognition as such.
It would be nice to see more like this.

Finally finished downloading it and played a bit... I don't have the latest patch so the text is screwy but I expected that... Great job with what I've seen so far :)

Nope!

Originally posted by MaximusParthas
1) There is "NO" arial combat at all. Would be great if the demons, griffons and dragons could do strafing runs or drop offs.

But do you know the rules of aerial combat in Civ3? Do you remember how fighters and bombers are treated in the original game when a ground unit faces them? They die immediately. Imagine what happens... a small snotling killing 3 dragons in one turn, without any fight :rolleyes: I tested all combinations of Air units / Air missions, and this is the best implementation of "Flying" I could get (similar to usual way attack choppers are used).

2) The interaction initiated between the AI and the player is really low. You hardly ever hear requests from the AI. I've yet to be offered a trade of produce.

Sincerely it doesn't happen to me. I get requests/threats all the time, peaceful trade offers also happen.

3) The books of who's the biggest. richest, most powerfull ect... only pop up once or twice a game.

As far as I get it, this is hardcoded. I changed the calendar to match warhammer timeline, and only 2 dates from this calendar match the original one.

4) The recon abilities of the various units might as well be nill. recoing 1 or 2 squares away is useless.

Well, it's a small addition. What do you think should be done with it? (I myself find recon ability useless in whole civ3, unless playing scenario such as XCOM)

5) We need at least 1 sea unit that can carry more than 3 or 4 units. 2 continents at war can be rediculous when you can only transport minimum units at a time. 12 turns to bring 3-4 units during future tech era is crazy.

Point taken. I can raise all ships' (beyond boats) capacity by 1, and provide a cheap small wonder at astronomy, that will give +1 movement (so all ships get this bonus, including the old ones, as some factions never get out of war galleys).
I can also speed up all naval units in the game, if you thinks its good idea. Currenly it's a bit faster than in original Civ3, but I know some people mod it even further.
If I had more fantasy naval units, that would of course make things much better ;)

6) RE: the Dwarves. I never ran across a single unit that could move more than one square at a time. That's a serious disadvantage.

And a good one for the Dwarfs! :p Slow and strong. That's the point.

7) RE: Chaos. Considering that the only way to hurry production is to sacrifice citizens, rushing projects to compete at levels higher than chieftan is difficult at the least. I know they have some of the most powerfull units in the game so when the do get to higher eras they have an advantage, but getting there is really tough without any rush ability.

Well, they have an advantage at the first half of the game, then it becomes a disadvantage. Any idea how to do this better? Introducing more governments will make the whole hate/love system fell apart.

Thanks for all suggestions and kind words too :)

Originally posted by emu
how come the Orcs and Goblins have no type of Dragon?

Do you think they should? I didn't want all factions to end up with dragons at the end of the game. Dwarves get Dragon Slayers instead, Sylvania has Vampire Lords and Chaos has the Demons. Orcs and Goblins get good and cheap units through the whole game, some able to stand against big creatures.
I didn't give dragons to primitive factions (orcs, goblins and barbarians), though I changed it slightly (in a patch) and gave the Dolgans a black dragon since they were really the weakest civ (though still capable of conquering half of the world before dragons emerged).

ps. Someone make me a Wyvern! ;)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But do you know the rules of aerial combat in Civ3? Do you remember how fighters and bombers are treated in the original game when a ground unit faces them? They die immediately. Imagine what happens... a small snotling killing 3 dragons in one turn, without any fight I tested all combinations of Air units / Air missions, and this is the best implementation of "Flying" I could get (similar to usual way attack choppers are used).

Personally, the only thing that bothers me about the aerial units is they cant go over water. Is it possible to impliment this, but make it so they "sink" if they end a turn over the water? I liked the way aerial combat was in the old civs where they would die if they ended a turn not in a city. With these fantasy units, that would seem kinda silly, since they're creatures that should be able to land anywhere BUT water.

Thanx for the responce.

For the flyers...
I think you can give arial units offensive & defensive points vrs land units. Although I've never tried arials, I've done it with bombardment units like cannons and such. If you can't, then treat certain units just like helecopters or planes. IE: red dragons bombard like bombers, white dragons, rocs and griffons carry 2 units ect. Obviously if they cannot have a defense against (he he he "snotlings lol: , They'll need defenders. )
Demons are notoriously sneaky and have a long reach when in this world. Their recon should be about 6 squares.

RE: The dwarves. Speaking as a 20 year D&D veteran, They may be slow of foot but they made the wheel famous.

About naval units: Making them move farther in shorter time is ok but what you need is a unit that can carry up to 8 like the transport. I'd rather have 6 transports with 48 units than a million galleys. That can get expensive an time consuming (loading unloading ect)
The vikings where famous for ships that carried a large group of warriors. Maybe one of their type will do.

RE: Chaos. Maybe reduced costs on some of the more expensive units? Most times it would cost me 75 turns to make a chaos giant. The sad part was they'r really not worth it.
I changed your game around myself a little.
I made a lower cost on giants and gave the chaos spiders a lil more defence. Considering they come after the giants they should be an improvement.
I also gave the giants a move of 2. They ARE giants after all. That made the cost a lil more worthwhile.

Finaly, Just a lil something I always do with every mod.:
I think it's plain nutz that bombardment units don't have the fatal ability. If getting blasted in the face by a cannon or having a bomb dropped on your head only provides a temporary loss of hit points, then I don't want em.
Here's the plain truth.
Cannons and artillery sink ships.
Bombs falling from the sky will kill you.
Maybe a catapult wont do the job (sometimes) But a few 15 ml turrets will definitely take out whatever they're hitting.
In short. I immideately give all bombard units the land, sea fatal power.

I gotta say one more time. You really took this to a new level. I was trying to teach myself to install units into a scenario so I could do something similar. just could't get the hang of it. The how to description is all greek to me.

Thanx for the responce.

For the flyers...
I think you can give arial units offensive & defensive points vrs land units. Although I've never tried arials, I've done it with bombardment units like cannons and such.

No, you can't. I wouldn't say that if I haven't tried this. I'm also not the only one, since a lot of people wanted to find a way to do this with gunships. Artillery is nothing special, it's normal ground unit, while air unit is a different type, a type which can not fight with ground units. And unfortunately, only air units can make bombing runs (you can give bombing ability to ground unit in editor, but it doesn't work - the unit will behave like artillery).

If you can't, then treat certain units just like helecopters or planes. IE: red dragons bombard like bombers, white dragons, rocs and griffons carry 2 units ect. Obviously if they cannot have a defense against (he he he "snotlings lol: , They'll need defenders. )
Demons are notoriously sneaky and have a long reach when in this world. Their recon should be about 6 squares.

I will raise recon range then, but I won't make the dragons so feeble that they can't stand a snotling or peasant, just to allow bombing runs. They can do they same by flying to target and attacking or pillaging.

RE: The dwarves. Speaking as a 20 year D&D veteran, They may be slow of foot but they made the wheel famous.

I'm just 9 years warhammer veteran, but that's enough to know dwarfs' capabilities :p Sure they have wheeled units - like Anvil of Doom - there's one such thing in the warhammer world ;) and of course all kinds of war machines, but they can't match a horse, sorry. BTW There is a nice idea in warhammer, for dwarven mobile unit, and it could be a real air unit too, but it's a complicated graphic to model and make (Gyrocopter).

About naval units: Making them move farther in shorter time is ok but what you need is a unit that can carry up to 8 like the transport. I'd rather have 6 transports with 48 units than a million galleys. That can get expensive an time consuming (loading unloading ect)
The vikings where famous for ships that carried a large group of warriors. Maybe one of their type will do.

Capacity of 8... that's quite much. There are not enough unit graphics to support this idea, unless you start with such capacities from the very beginning... and I still want to have distinctive fleets for different races.

Coracle/Boat: 2 (no change)
Galley, Longship: 3 (was 2)
Caravel, Kingship, War Galley: 4 (was 3)
Galleon, Dragon Ship, Tomb Ship: 6 (was 4)

Is this acceptable or not at all? Also +1 movement for everything except Coracle (so the Boat gets 4, Galley gets 5 and so on).

RE: Chaos. Maybe reduced costs on some of the more expensive units? Most times it would cost me 75 turns to make a chaos giant. The sad part was they'r really not worth it.
I changed your game around myself a little.
I made a lower cost on giants and gave the chaos spiders a lil more defence. Considering they come after the giants they should be an improvement.
I also gave the giants a move of 2. They ARE giants after all. That made the cost a lil more worthwhile.

I usually could build giants from 8 to 16 turns at the time they come. I'm speaking of serious cities - in normal game you can't build armors in small villages too. Along with Ogres, giants cost more than they should (yes that was intentional) because they come so early, as more or less mercenaries (The Dogs of War). Chaos Giant with movement of 2 is way too good, especially that it comes in the 1st era, when nothing can really beat them.
During my home tests, I was raising giant's costs all the time, due to the fact that they were so good. It's not just 6/3 on A/D. With those +3 hit points, they never lose, almost ;)
As an experiment ;) I'll lower giant's cost by 1, ok?

The thing with the spiders (and skeletons) is that they have no support cost so you can produce any number of them without worrying about your treasury. Indeed, I didn't make use of spiders so far (they are more usable at small maps), though skeletons were very good.

Finaly, Just a lil something I always do with every mod.:
I think it's plain nutz that bombardment units don't have the fatal ability. If getting blasted in the face by a cannon or having a bomb dropped on your head only provides a temporary loss of hit points, then I don't want em.
Here's the plain truth.
Cannons and artillery sink ships.
Bombs falling from the sky will kill you.
Maybe a catapult wont do the job (sometimes) But a few 15 ml turrets will definitely take out whatever they're hitting.
In short. I immideately give all bombard units the land, sea fatal power.

Catapults and cannons kill people, but alone can't wipe whole armies from the earth's surface.... There were many-pages-long debates on that, so it's really pointless to do it again here. I'm with the non-lethal option - though as you have probably seen, I gave lethal bombard ability to certain units such as Dwarven Cannon, to show its superiority, or the Dragons.

Originally posted by Owain
Personally, the only thing that bothers me about the aerial units is they cant go over water. Is it possible to impliment this, but make it so they "sink" if they end a turn over the water? I liked the way aerial combat was in the old civs where they would die if they ended a turn not in a city. With these fantasy units, that would seem kinda silly, since they're creatures that should be able to land anywhere BUT water.

No, it's impossible in Civ3 (unless you make such unit incapable of combat, so it dies of snotling attack, like mentioned before).

Top Bottom